PDA

View Full Version : no water in virginia

ekeverette
09-01-2012, 18:17
eveready here. started back on my north bound thru on 8/19/12 at marion..... i'm now in pearsburg va. just wanted to let you folks know if you're coming out this way, you better camel up, because all the streams are dry..... which i guess you would expect it this time of year. anyway i'm on the trail, and going as far as i can......happy trails!!

HikerMom58
09-01-2012, 22:45
eveready here. started back on my north bound thru on 8/19/12 at marion..... i'm now in pearsburg va. just wanted to let you folks know if you're coming out this way, you better camel up, because all the streams are dry..... which i guess you would expect it this time of year. anyway i'm on the trail, and going as far as i can......happy trails!!

You are right about it being really dry in VA... I'm trying to get water into the shelters up around Central VA... We might be getting some much needed rain tomorrow from the hurricane. It's starting to rain now in Daleville VA.... rain should be really heavy tomorrow.

Sugarfoot
09-03-2012, 13:25
Just back from Harpers Ferry south through Shenandoah. No problem with water. Some sources were slow, but all were wet.

grateful 2
09-03-2012, 22:05
I am leaving in 2 weeks for a 160 mile section from Atkins to Daleville. Just how desperate is the lack of water? Do the shelters all have water? I can make it if most of the streams are dry, but I NEED water at the shelters.
You are right about it being really dry in VA... I'm trying to get water into the shelters up around Central VA... We might be getting some much needed rain tomorrow from the hurricane. It's starting to rain now in Daleville VA.... rain should be really heavy tomorrow.

wornoutboots
09-04-2012, 13:42
I am leaving in 2 weeks for a 160 mile section from Atkins to Daleville. Just how desperate is the lack of water? Do the shelters all have water? I can make it if most of the streams are dry, but I NEED water at the shelters.

I just got back from that section, camel up at all shelters & when your supply is dwindling, I always carried @ 2 liters, you'll be fine. Happy hiking!!

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 14:21

No worries... I can get water up to the Johns Spring Shelter for you. no prob. That will be right at your first 20 mile stretch. It says in my book that it has a unreliable spring at that shelter. Great to hear the good report from wornoutboots.... he confirms what my book shows- there are reliable springs looks like all the way down south. You'll be fine, just keep up your supply when you can.. we got some rain the past 2 days as well.

grateful 2
09-04-2012, 14:22
So all the shelters have water? (Except Johns Springs- don't really need it there)

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 14:28
Yes, it looks good in my book... the only other Shelter that looks iffy is Rice Field Shelter... you may have to just stop and fill up when you cross a stream & not count on that shelter for water if you are planning on staying there. Yeah, it's looking good....

grateful 2
09-04-2012, 20:09
Thanks so much. I will be staying at Rice Field, so I can get water elsewhere that day.

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 20:22
Yes, that's true... now remind me again of how far you will be hiking South again..I know it's south 160 trial miles... Don't worry I will know exactly where it is when your hike is over..Tell me again ......:)

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 20:23
Whoops... PM me instead...

HikerMom58
09-26-2012, 19:52
Ok so the current water situation in Central VA is not good. It's being reported that shelters are dry. The solution is simple.. just camel up when you can. No worries.