PDA

View Full Version : Wingfoot 2005

thestin
05-04-2005, 07:43
OK, not trying to start a riot here, but is Wingfoot really thru-hiking in 2005? I see on his website that he has posted recently...but not about a 2005 hike.
Maybe he's hiking with Bill Bryson and Robert Redford?

TJ aka Teej
05-04-2005, 07:49
is Wingfoot really thru-hiking in 2005?
To ask Wingfoot a question, email him at [email protected]

Lone Wolf
05-04-2005, 07:49
He ain't hiking s**t. All talk.

TakeABreak
05-04-2005, 13:05
If you say so.

max patch
05-04-2005, 13:35
WF has elderly parents with health issues that would probably preclude him from a thru at this time.

I'd say he has his priorities straight.

SGT Rock
05-04-2005, 14:07
I think Max has the correct info here. He moved to Atlanta to help take care of them. If I had to choose between family and a thru-hike, I'll pick family. The trail is always there for him so someday he can return to the trail.

Slimer
05-04-2005, 15:42
Although I've never met Wingfoot, I sure gotta respect him for keeping family first, a thru hike is'nt that important.

TakeABreak
05-04-2005, 23:28
Well, when I posted my comment I did know about his parents and you guys are right, that is priority. What I meant was that I did not believe he was going to actually hike the trail. I personally know someone who slacked packed another hiker over a lot of the trail, years back and saw WF, Hitch hiking around some of toughest places on the trail and saw him show his ignorance at a couple of hiker restaraunts.

smokymtnsteve
05-04-2005, 23:32
he lives in Conyers Ga

SGT Rock
05-05-2005, 08:00
Well, when I posted my comment I did know about his parents and you guys are right, that is priority. What I meant was that I did not believe he was going to actually hike the trail. I personally know someone who slacked packed another hiker over a lot of the trail, years back and saw WF, Hitch hiking around some of toughest places on the trail and saw him show his ignorance at a couple of hiker restaraunts.
Well I wouldn't know about that. May be true, may not be. I would throw that in the category of hearsay.

Nean
05-05-2005, 08:09
I spoke with Wingfoot this past fall. He said he had thought about another hike but the desire never kicked in. Given his age, condition and popularity on the trail I'm not so sure he would enjoy another hike. I'd suggest a smaller section in the off season. It would probably do wonders for him. Me too for that matter.

Footnotes
05-05-2005, 16:08
Nean,

Wingfoot's age has nothing to do with enjoying the trail. His condition and popularity is right on as a possible problem. There are numerous gray beards out there who can kick some young butt on occasion because they are in better condition. Grump is hiking this year. He is 65 and carrying about that many pounds. He wears jeans and flannel shirts and eats out of cans. I watched him knock off 13 miles in early April and that included Albert Mt. He seemed pretty happy to me the next morning.

max patch
05-05-2005, 16:37
Given his age, condition and popularity on the trail I'm not so sure he would enjoy another hike.

I'd bet that WF could sleep next to 100 different people at shelters and at least 99% wouldn't have a clue who he was (assuming, of course, he didn't use WF as a name).

Lilred
05-05-2005, 17:31
Nean,

Wingfoot's age has nothing to do with enjoying the trail. His condition and popularity is right on as a possible problem. There are numerous gray beards out there who can kick some young butt on occasion because they are in better condition. Grump is hiking this year. He is 65 and carrying about that many pounds. He wears jeans and flannel shirts and eats out of cans. I watched him knock off 13 miles in early April and that included Albert Mt. He seemed pretty happy to me the next morning.

I had the pleasure of meeting Grump on my section from Springer to Neel Gap. Chatted with him at Gooch Gap shelter while waiting for the rain to stop. His name is an acronym and has nothing to do with his mood. It stands for Great Retired United Methodist Preacher. His wife added the Great to his name, or he would have been called Rump :eek: .... What a good wife.

lumpy
05-05-2005, 22:29
Well I wouldn't know about that. May be true, may not be. I would throw that in the category of hearsay.
That's true. "Hearsay" is just what it is, hearsay. I too have moved home to take care of my elderly mother since I don't trust all the "Shiney Head" assisted living compounds. See y'all on the trail (pre-movie time).

Ridge
05-06-2005, 02:12
OK, not trying to start a riot here, but is Wingfoot really thru-hiking in 2005?....
Probably all talk and no walk. BTW does anyone really care? We use to be members of his site, had some fun and had some problems just finally moved on.
hikerwife

Slimer
05-06-2005, 14:28
yeah, he can talk the talk.......but he can also "walk the walk" too.

bulldog49
05-06-2005, 14:51

TakeABreak, others can call it hearsay but I knowsay. What you say is true, expecially about off-trail behavior.

Nean
05-06-2005, 18:42
Batch stopped by the other day, he is 83. I've met 100s of hikers as old and older than WF. I said age, condition... None of those old hikers I've met were in worst condition than WF when I last saw him, overweight and chain smoking- and that was years ago. Hopefully he is back in top shape and not smoking. If WF was 20, overweight and chain smoking it wouldn't be the factor it is at his age. As for WF sleeping among 100 hikers w/o them knowing who he was I'll say this- you have never met Dan. I hope he does hike again, but I don't think he will and I don't think he would enjoy it. Just my humble opinion.

Footslogger
05-06-2005, 23:39
Batch stopped by the other day, he is 83. ==================================

Wow ..."Batch", now there's a trail name I haven't heard in a while. I met Batch on the trail in 2003. It was a steep uphill and he was going up "side-step", I think because his knees were bothering him that day. Man, all I could think about was how I hoped to be hiking when I was his age. The guy was always the first one up in the morning. He woke up, packed his belongings (which didn't amount to much), at something, wrote a note or two in his journal, signed the shelter register and then hiked out. He hiked slowly but consistently.

Anyway, just couldn't help but react when I saw his name in the above post.

'Slogger
AT 2003

fiddlehead
05-08-2005, 22:57
Now, I'd rather talk about Batch than Wingfoot anyday. Now there's a hiker! I first met Batch in 96 on the PCT. He was up at 4:30 everymorning. Claimed he had to get a jump on us young guys if he was gonna make this thing. I found out later, it was his 3rd try at "this thing" (PCT) and everytime, he started over at the beginning. He didn't make it that year either (he was 78) but i believe he did finally finish the PCT I wanna say around 98' It is a pleasure seeing him and hearing his new hiking stories every year at the "Gathering" His Scottish wife Mary is a real charm two. These are two incredible people who have really inspired me in many ways. I too hope that i can have his energy and balls when i'm that age. fh

Nean
05-08-2005, 23:24
You'uns got that right! Met Batch first in the Sierras, then a couple years latter near the Columbia. Must of been 6-7 years ago and he still remembered my name and the place we met. Amazing man, a true inspiration!

dougmeredith
05-09-2005, 08:27
I don't know much about the guy. How old is he?

Doug

Nean
05-09-2005, 23:45
Batch is 83, same age as PawPaw?

Rocks 'n Roots
05-10-2005, 00:27
In his early 60's.

One Leg
05-10-2005, 06:42
If we're referring to the same "Batch", he's maarried to a fine lady named Mary. The "Batch" I know is a member of ALDHA, lives in New Hampshire. He and I met on the trail last year while we were both attempting a thruhike, and at that time, he told me that he was 82 years of age.

Nean
05-10-2005, 08:05
Paw Paw was 81 or 82 when he thrued, must be mid 80's now. Would love to see them both at trail days but understand PawPaw is not feeling well lately.

Mags
05-10-2005, 10:06
It amazes me when I see people in their late 70s+ doing these type of activities.

A long time ago in a book store, saw a book title "Getting old ain't for wimps" (or something similar). It was a photo book of senrior citizens who were weight lifters, marathon runners, etc.

Inspiring is all I have to say.

Hope I am a fraction as active as PawPaw and Batch when I am in my twilight years!

Lone Wolf
05-10-2005, 10:18
Paw Paw is 87.