PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent

swofford
09-02-2012, 16:43
What do you guys think of the tent. I currently have the MSR Hubba Hubba but I was looking for something lighter. Opinions please:)

Lyte-w8-hyker
09-02-2012, 16:46
check out the Tarp tent double rainbow, www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) I thought about the fly creek UL2 but the TTDR is awsome with its double entrances and is free stading as well if you use treking poles.

Drybones
09-02-2012, 17:02
I also have the TT Double Rainbow and like it. Looked at the BA products but believe I made the right choice. The Flycreek was too cramped, the DR has more than enough room, especially if you are tall.

Whack-a-mole
09-02-2012, 20:48
I have the BA CS2 and I really like it a lot. I'm tall, and it has enough room for me. Also has a small vestibule on each side with an entrance on each side. This can be handy. Very easy to set up, especially in the dark.

RodentWhisperer
09-02-2012, 21:19
Can't say anything about the UL2, but I replaced my UL1 with a Tarptent Notch, the 1-person version of the Stratospire 2. I had the same complaints as Drybones-- the Fly Creek was just too crampt (especially when it came to getting into and out of the tent). Henry Shires looks like a genius when it comes to tent design!

jakedatc
09-02-2012, 21:33
Lightheart gear Duo is another to look at.

Old Boots
09-02-2012, 22:20
I find the BA UL2 is plenty for 1 person. Enuf room to keep all gear inside as well. No problem with leaking or inordinate condensation. Lightweight and easy to set up.

tf bear
09-02-2012, 22:35
UL2. Is a great lightweight tent. You will become very close with anyone you share it with. But as far as being a tent, it is very lightweight, quick to set up and packs down very small. The set up is typical, however it is labeled as free standing but to effectively get all the space out of the tent you will need to use the rain fly. It has good ventalization and three mesh pockets to store stuff out of the way. The best pocket is on the roof, just put your head lamp up there and you can lite the entire tent!

lostinfflood
09-03-2012, 06:32
I have the BA UL2 and bought it as a solo tent and for my Border Collie companion. I'm 6' and I find there is plenty of room in it for my dog and myself. I wasn't real happy with the color but after a while that grew on me. I spent a great deal of time researching "solo" tents with floors that did not need a hiking pole and would have room for a dog. I am happy with my decision.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 07:04
Can't say anything about the UL2, but I replaced my UL1 with a Tarptent Notch, the 1-person version of the Stratospire 2. I had the same complaints as Drybones-- the Fly Creek was just too crampt (especially when it came to getting into and out of the tent). Henry Shires looks like a genius when it comes to tent design!

RW...hope your as happy with your Notch as I am. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap but at 26 oz this one will be hard to beat.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 09:07
UL2. Is a great lightweight tent. You will become very close with anyone you share it with. But as far as being a tent, it is very lightweight, quick to set up and packs down very small. The set up is typical, however it is labeled as free standing but to effectively get all the space out of the tent you will need to use the rain fly. It has good ventalization and three mesh pockets to store stuff out of the way. The best pocket is on the roof, just put your head lamp up there and you can lite the entire tent!
+1. im 5'11" room enough for me and my pack, packs really small, dries quick.

RodentWhisperer
09-03-2012, 09:31
RW...hope your as happy with your Notch as I am. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap but at 26 oz this one will be hard to beat.

We're stealing the thread here... But I'm genuinely confident about the Notch-- a great combination of positives, IMO. Very packable, exceptionally low weight, double-walled, capable of being a tarp or being a bug tent. The "rodent" in me was easily "trapped" in this one! :-)

The Solemates
09-04-2012, 11:33
What do you guys think of the tent. I currently have the MSR Hubba Hubba but I was looking for something lighter. Opinions please:)

I like mine. I just got it for Christmas but have several weeks worth of nights in it. My biggest concerns before I got it from reading stuff online was:
1) space constraints
2) front door issues of water in tent when its raining
3) durability

Re #1, I have frequent back forty campouts since I have lots of land around me, and I've now slept in it with both of my kids (ages 3 and 5) and had enough room for all three of us, and I am 6'4". I also just took it out this past weekend on a 2 night labor day trip with my 3 year old - and we had plenty of room left over with both our gear inside the tent. I've yet to spend the night in it when it was pouring down rain, but a mild drizzle brought no issues with my #2 concern mentioned above. I havent had any durability issues, despite the featherweight fabric and components they use in this tent - and my 3 yr old knows how to test stuff.

moocow
09-04-2012, 11:56
I'm happy with mine. If anything I think it's too big considering I use it as a one person. It's definitely a comfy one or tight two. A one with enough room to spread out all your gear and read and write and have access to your water and just about everything else you can think of in a tent. For a two person, my wife and I just barely get in there without anything else in it besides our sleeping pads and bags. It's much more durable than I expected. I've even had it in a hail storm on the trail and it wasn't even sagging in the morning. If you have the money and you're looking for a comfy one person then I'd go for it again.

Paws60
09-04-2012, 14:10
Had a Big Agnes UL3 44sqft, Pack weight of 4.10 just traded in for the TarpTent Rainshadow2 51sqft Pack weight of 2.15. Had it up in back of house this week. Wife, dog and I had plenty of room. my only concern is the partial open ends for ventilation other than that take a look at the Tarptents.

Paws60
09-04-2012, 14:14
Miss print the Tarptent should of read Pack weight 2.75

colorado_rob
09-04-2012, 17:17
What can I say, the Fly creek UL2 is our current tent, my wife and I use it exclusively these days, no real complaints other than yes, a bit tight for two, but nevertheless we are taking it on a JMT thru-hike in a couple weeks. 2 pounds, 5 oz measured, including the sack and included cords, which I would like to replace w/ spectra to save an ounce or two.

I plan on using this same tent on my AT thru-hike attempt next spring.

It is a tad quirky to pitch the first couple of times, but we have it down and now always get a nice, tight pitch. The last two trips involved major downpours, and we stayed 100% dry, including the vestibule. If this tent evaporated tomorrow, I'd probably buy the exact tent. If money were zero object, I might consider the "platinum" version, $100 more, 4 ounces less. But I cannot justify that $100 for 4 ounces personally.

solid tent, after you learn to pitch it correctly.

prospector
11-23-2012, 23:05
I have the platinum and my only worry is too much mesh during cold nights on the AT?

Karma13
11-24-2012, 06:51
I've got the platinum, too, and I love it under test conditions. It's coming with me to Springer. :)

amclumberjack
11-28-2012, 14:31
i love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 it now has well over 2000 miles under it in its still sheding rain like day one , im a bigger guy and find ther to bemore then ampel room and set up is fast even in the rain at night

Wiffle ball 12'

bubonicplay
12-04-2012, 03:48
The fly creek UL series are the lightest freestanding tents on the market, two stakes are required at the foot end.

You can go lighter by getting a tarp tent in which you use trekking poles (if you use them) or you can buy straight carbon poles.

CarlZ993
12-05-2012, 00:10
I own the Fly Creek UL-2 as well as the UL-3. I'm 6'1" & 190# (+/-). Plenty of room for one in the UL-2. Really snug for 2. You better be 'friendly' with your tent mate in the UL-2.

Note: I use the available ground sheet under the tent. Last summer, I had the UL-2 set up in what I thought was in a decent drainage area. The biggest rain storm I've ever experienced in the Sierras hit that evening. Water ended up flowing underneath my tent. The pressure of my sleeping pad (& me) caused moisture to be forced through the fabric of the floor. Got pretty wet inside my tent. My buddy had a different tent (Easton Kilo 1 or 2; don't remember). Anyway, his tent ended up in a pool of water from the rain. His floor had a high denier fabric on the floor. He stayed completely dry inside his tent even though the back end of his tent was in an 1 1/2 of water.

Karma13
12-05-2012, 05:58
I use the available ground sheet under the tent. Last summer, I had the UL-2 set up in what I thought was in a decent drainage area. The biggest rain storm I've ever experienced in the Sierras hit that evening. Water ended up flowing underneath my tent. The pressure of my sleeping pad (& me) caused moisture to be forced through the fabric of the floor. Got pretty wet inside my tent.

You had that issue with the footprint? Or you weren't using the footprint at that time, but after that experience you're using it now?

bfayer
12-05-2012, 12:36
I own the Fly Creek UL-2 as well as the UL-3. I'm 6'1" & 190# (+/-). Plenty of room for one in the UL-2. Really snug for 2. You better be 'friendly' with your tent mate in the UL-2.

Note: I use the available ground sheet under the tent. Last summer, I had the UL-2 set up in what I thought was in a decent drainage area. The biggest rain storm I've ever experienced in the Sierras hit that evening. Water ended up flowing underneath my tent. The pressure of my sleeping pad (& me) caused moisture to be forced through the fabric of the floor. Got pretty wet inside my tent. My buddy had a different tent (Easton Kilo 1 or 2; don't remember). Anyway, his tent ended up in a pool of water from the rain. His floor had a high denier fabric on the floor. He stayed completely dry inside his tent even though the back end of his tent was in an 1 1/2 of water.

Wow, I have not had that happen to me, and I have woken up with me and the tent sitting in a good inch of water. Still completely dry inside.

Note: I was forced to use an existing tent pad that the builders so thoughtfully surrounded with a 4x4 boarder. It turned into a very nice little pond :)

if I could change anything with the tent it would be to put the door on the side (keeping the weight the same)

I know people complain that it is not really free standing, but I have found in the very limited situations that I could not stake the back corners (wooden platforms) a hiking pole works just fine as a spreader bar. Just lay it flat, hook the loops on each end and adjust the length to tighten it up.

G-FOURce
12-05-2012, 14:55
I know people complain that it is not really free standing, but I have found in the very limited situations that I could not stake the back corners (wooden platforms) a hiking pole works just fine as a spreader bar. Just lay it flat, hook the loops on each end and adjust the length to tighten it up.

i just picked up a BA Fly Creek UL1 and UL2 Platinum and i immediately recognized that a collapsed trekking pole would function as a spreader bar. i tried it and it works great!

also, i do agree that the shelter would have benefited from a side-entry design, but with both of these being sub-2lb shelters its hard to complain about them. with the service i have gotten from BA directly, i think i am quite pleased with the purchases.

ATMountainTime
12-05-2012, 15:02
+1 for the BA UL2. Im only 5'9" 165, but wanted enough room to read, keep my gear in, and at times my dog. I wanted a free stander because i dont trust myself to not lose my poles, or break one. Also for whatever reason I seem to pick very windy weekends to camp, and wanted to be able to use my hiking poles for multi day trips leaving my tent and pack at the main camping spot.

It is amazingly easy to setup in the dark, the bathtub floor i dig, the weight is incredibley light.

Only down side is it's front loading which make a little tricky to get in and out of, but not bad.

birdygal
12-12-2012, 00:08
I used mine on the AT for 10 days with my husband, I found it worked out great and was plenty big enough, It rained 3 days and it kept us dry, I would like to get the ground sheet for it but just cant seem to unleash that much money for one

dornstar
12-15-2012, 21:37
I really wanted the UL2, but after getting it, I just wasn't a fan. The sloped front entry means you have to be sealed up in a hot box in bad weather. Only took one big storm for me to realize it wasn't the tent for me.

bedarda
05-10-2013, 10:22
I purchased a Fly Creek II (HumbleOutdoors $330 w/free footprint) for my son's graduation. Being just 22 years old he has no problem with the front door. For myself I prefer the Copper Spur II. It comes down to the side doors, especially when it's cold, and/or sharing the tent.