PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day crowds

Chaco Taco
09-02-2012, 19:31
Just got back from Maine. The Whites were just silly as well as the area around Lincoln and N Woodstock. Once we got through Franconia Notch, quiet. Saw a moose in Twin Mountain. Got to the trailhead for the AT Grafton Notch, maybe 8 cars in the lot. Got to the Baldpate Leanto, saw 4 thru hikers. While on the Grafton Loop Trail, saw 3 people. Didnt even see the first person til late afternoon. Found the secret to Labor day crowds, stay outta the Whites. The Trailheads along the highway were so overrun today, it was a little ridiculous.View from East Baldpate on Saturday am looking at Old Speck, my favorite mountain in Maine

10-K
09-02-2012, 19:39
At least they weren't home eating chips and sitting on the couch. :)

hikerboy57
09-02-2012, 19:56
Great pic.dont tell e eryone though.glad you had a good time. it's great when you actually expect to see people and you don't.

horicon
09-02-2012, 20:07
Stay out of the Whites and away from the AMC.

Chaco Taco
09-02-2012, 21:15
Stay out of the Whites and away from the AMC.Friggin troll. STAY in NY

coach lou
09-02-2012, 21:50
My son and I went up Old Speck on Labor day when he was 12 [28 now], there must have been 20 thrus up there. It was my first experience with this phenomenon. It was beautiful though, we climbed the tower, I taught him map and compass on the boulder on top of the Arm.

Chaco Taco
09-02-2012, 22:30
My son and I went up Old Speck on Labor day when he was 12 [28 now], there must have been 20 thrus up there. It was my first experience with this phenomenon. It was beautiful though, we climbed the tower, I taught him map and compass on the boulder on top of the Arm.
Great mountain. I want to go up Columbus Day weekend and finish

Whack-a-mole
09-03-2012, 10:01
I wanted to go do a southern section this weekend, as my wife was going to be out of town. Her plans fell thru, and then Isaac rolled in and the weather was going to be unpredictable, so we just took the weekend off. Will be firing up the grill later today. So, to all you folks who got to get out and enjoy the trails this weekend, I hope you had a great hike and saw some awesome stuff. We do have two upcoming trips, last weekend in Sep the wife and I will do Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek, and the last week of Oct friends and I are doing Newfound Gap to NOC. Really looking forward to the fall season.