PDA

View Full Version : Best camp shoes so far

Drybones
09-02-2012, 19:41
I'm always looking for good camp shoes and I'm not there yet but the Nike Solarsoft Lakeside are the best I've found so far. A size 14 weigh 11 oz and are very packable. The Crocs I started with are okay in camp and at water crossings but they are bulky and normally end up hung on the outside of the pack and they are a little on the heavy side. Anyone tried these yet? Okay...it's now time to tell me any shoe in a size 14 is heavy...I'm really a 12, maybe a 12.5...possibly a 13...these shoes are just sized wrong. Big feet are handy when you're putting out a forest fire.

Whack-a-mole
09-02-2012, 20:40
I use a pair of Adidas flip flops. I got them at Kohls and they are pretty light weight. My size 13s run 12oz for the pair. They are red and white with black trim, so they show up pretty good in the woods. Also, they are the kind with the big strap across the foot, with no toe thong, so you can wear them with socks if you need to jump up to go out on a cold night. They work pretty good. I also have a pair of sandals made by Croc's, and they are very light weight, but they have a toe thong, so they are great in the summer, but not with socks.

hikerboy57
09-02-2012, 21:05
Check out www.vivobarefoot.com..

Chaco Taco
09-02-2012, 21:47
Give up camp shoes. Best decision I ever made

Drybones
09-03-2012, 07:37
Check out www.vivobarefoot.com (http://www.vivobarefoot.com)..

Now those look pretty nifty...do you know if they will they pack flat without damaging them?

Drybones
09-03-2012, 07:39
I use a pair of Adidas flip flops. I got them at Kohls and they are pretty light weight. My size 13s run 12oz for the pair. They are red and white with black trim, so they show up pretty good in the woods. Also, they are the kind with the big strap across the foot, with no toe thong, so you can wear them with socks if you need to jump up to go out on a cold night. They work pretty good. I also have a pair of sandals made by Croc's, and they are very light weight, but they have a toe thong, so they are great in the summer, but not with socks.

I used these this spring, I found them good for sitting around but had a problem with them twisting and my foot sliding out when going up and down hills to make water runs.

Deacon
09-03-2012, 07:52
If you go with trail runners to hike in, they are also great camp shoes. Just wear no socks and leave laces very loose. The best "camp" shoes are no camp shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 08:30
Now those look pretty nifty...do you know if they will they pack flat without damaging them?you can roll em up in a ball, theyre light as a feather. best camp shoes ive ever had, used them in maine.

Tinker
09-03-2012, 08:38
Give up camp shoes. Best decision I ever made

Seconded, with the possible exception of section hikes where you know there will be river crossings and you would rather not get your hiking shoes wet. Even then, they still might get wet from rain. Funny thing is, I carried sandals for water crossings in the Hundred Mile Wilderness in 2006, and never even thought about using them in camp. My hiking shoes were so much more comfortable.

If your feet are so sore at the end of the day that you "need" camp shoes, you should give a second look as to what you're hiking in. ;)

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 08:53
its not soreness, they allow my feet to dry and air out my shoes. I do have to replace my keen targhees, because once wet, they stay wet,theyre fine for a week section, but for longer stretches im looking for a non "waterproof " mid to replace them, tried merril moab ventialtors, but my feet arent as comfortable as the keens. i might change my mind about camp shoes once i switrch, but the weight of the vivobarefoot is negligable.

Whack-a-mole
09-03-2012, 09:55
I disagree with not having camp shoes. For the same reasons listed by some above. At the end of the day my feet are hot and sweaty, and I like to let them cool and my boots air out. Also, I wear flip flops all the time, and I mean all the time, and by the end of the day I'm ready to come out of my boots. I know this is a personal decision, and the lightest option is not to take camp shoes. I do also agree that they aren't the best to wear going to get water and stuff, and they can be a little bit of a pain on uneven ground, but I guess I'm willing to take that trade off.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:03
I disagree with not having camp shoes. For the same reasons listed by some above. At the end of the day my feet are hot and sweaty, and I like to let them cool and my boots air out. Also, I wear flip flops all the time, and I mean all the time, and by the end of the day I'm ready to come out of my boots. I know this is a personal decision, and the lightest option is not to take camp shoes. I do also agree that they aren't the best to wear going to get water and stuff, and they can be a little bit of a pain on uneven ground, but I guess I'm willing to take that trade off.

Last time I wore camp shoes, slipped on a damn rock getting water and almost ended my thruhike. That little bit of a pain on uneven ground or slippery ground can end a hike. Just sayin.

Rasty
09-03-2012, 15:12
I don't really get camp shoes. I walk around barefoot half the time anyway.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 16:24
I don't really get camp shoes. I walk around barefoot half the time anyway.

I dont mind mud oozing between the toes but that white stuff is a little too much for me. Hey...made me think of a pretty little lass I met on the trail from Abington, had a down jacket on but no shoes, and there was lots of mud.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 16:27
If you go with trail runners to hike in, they are also great camp shoes. Just wear no socks and leave laces very loose. The best "camp" shoes are no camp shoes.

I believe I'll try that. I was planning to convert from hiking boots to lightweight train runners anyway...makes sense...thanks.

Rasty
09-03-2012, 16:35

I believe I'll try that. I was planning to convert from hiking boots to lightweight train runners anyway...makes sense...thanks.

I guess this where I am also.

Hairbear
09-03-2012, 22:06
I guess this where I am also. i like the bare foot in camp method.it helps my legs and feet to stimulate blood flow in my feet.i do carry a set of crocks so i dont step on that unseen thorn bush in the dark while trying to brown trail at night,or taking a shower in public showers.

Tinker
09-05-2012, 01:00
Watch out for broken glass at shelters and tentsites (esp. near roads) if you go the barefoot in camp route. I just wear my hiking shoes without socks, leaving the laces loose unless I need to hike away from camp for water or toilet duty, then I lace them more tightly. When they're damp or wet it doesn't seem to bother me, except that I need to wipe my feet off with a bandanna before I get into the hammock, which is really no bother. If it's raining the next day I just wring out my socks from the day before, which I usually hang on the tarp ridge line to rinse out in the rain, put on damp socks, damp shoes, and hike off on a damp trail. Wet feet are unavoidable on a longish section hike and certainly on a thruhike. Keeping them clean helps minimize blisters and infection. A small bottle of rubbing alcohol (90% if you can get it) works wonders for revitalizing wet feet after a day of slogging, and, of course, you can use it to help start a fire if you need to. Cotton balls dampened with alcohol and stored in a zip lock bag will work, too and are lighter in weight (no bottle).

Huber
09-05-2012, 08:35
I've taken an old pair of Tom's before that have worked out great. They're light and compact.