PDA

View Full Version : Tent Selection

ljcsov
09-02-2012, 21:02
Hey all,

I'm new to this whole thing and I am trying to pick out my first backpacking tent for solo ventures. After searching around the internet at my budget, I developed this list, keeping in mind that my price ceiling is around $150. At first, I looked at actual 1 person tents but these seem too small for me. I'm willing to take on the extra weight to upgrade to a 2 person tent, giving me some extra comfort space. Because I don't know which tent to pick from the list, maybe some of you could comment on them from personal experiences. Of course, the lightest tent is always the best option, but such a factor falls behind reliability and quality.

Here it goes:

Sierra Designs Lightning HT2
This is the lightest free standing tent I could find within my price range. It appears to be nice with vertical walls, two doors, and lots of mesh. However, I heard it has major issues with condensation and water pooling on the fly.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2
Heard good things about this tent, but it is not free standing and only has lengthwise entry access. Additionally, the fly appears to be saggy, possibly making it poor in snowy conditions.

Kelty Salida 2
Backpacker said good things about this tent for the price. It weighs very little for a dome style tent. Some have stated that it creates a lot of condensation.

All the previous tents weigh in under 4lb...
next grouping are over 4lb, but under 5lb...

North Face Flint 2
Very similar to design of the Salida 2, but has side entry door.

Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2
Solid dome design with two doors.

Big Agnes Lynx 2
Heavier than some of the other tents. Regardless, the design intrigues me for some reason, most likely due to the massive vestibule that allows you to prop it open like a canopy with trekking poles. Additionally, it looks like it has a decently designed venting system.

Marmot Trailight 2p
Another dome style tent, but heavier than the other dome tents listed. Most likely ruling this one out.

Big Agnes Burn Ridge Outfitter
Unique pole design with a lengthwise entry

So there it is. Hopefully one of these tents proves to be a nice tent for me to get out and enjoy the outdoors in. I'm really looking forward to hitting the trail.

RodentWhisperer
09-02-2012, 21:09
Of that bunch, I like the Salida.

ljcsov
09-02-2012, 21:23
Of that bunch, I like the Salida.

I checked out the SMD Scout. That could definitely be a viable option, given that it is within the price range. Are those vestibules big enough to house your pack?

MuddyWaters
09-02-2012, 21:57
I have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 I use for car camping with scouts . I find it perfect for one with a bunch of car camping gear. With one person the end entrance isnt a problem. Mine weighs 4 lbs after replacing the 16oz DAC poles with 12oz easton Nanolites. I have taken it backpacking a few times too when split between 2 people, its acceptable.

I would suggest you really lean toward lighter shelters though, most do eventually. Might as well save yourself time and money. Dont forget buying used is an excellent option to get good gear at great prices.

grayfox
09-02-2012, 21:59
One thing that becomes clear pretty quick when tent shopping is that the listed weights are usually optimistic at best. I have a Clip 2 and it weighs more than 6lbs with all 12 or so of the stakes needed to pitch it! Interior space is nice though so I use it car camping.

Go to as many stores as you can and get into whatever tents they have set up so you can get a feel for what you see in catalog or net pictures. (Do you ever see the pictures of those 10 foot round swimming pools that have a family of eight people swimming in them looking happy and not crowded? Wonder how big those people are.) Anyway, also look at the shelf where they keep the tents in their packages. Don't buy any tent that comes in a box that is bigger than the space is in your pack for the tent. Lift those neat packages and ask yourself if you really need to carry that tent or if you want to keep looking. My 2cents.

I have seen the Flint pitched outside my local Cabela's. It's been out there all summer and has survived many storms and brutal heat and sunshine. It is a bit faded but not too bad otherwise. Well, if you can stand the wierd green color it looks like an ok tent for your needs.

If you do not already have a closet full of 'almost right gear' how about not starting one. Use a tarp for a while and save up some money for a nice cottage industry product. You can get good feedback on how they work here and you know if it says it weighs 23ozs it does.

pmeleedy
09-02-2012, 22:11
Agree with the Kelty Salida 2

q-tip
09-03-2012, 10:06
For another $50 you could get a Tarptent and save 2+ lbs. This is a piece of gear not to limit your self by budget. You will be carrying this and living in it for a while... Take a look at the Tarptent Notch---might hit the spot, I have the Contrail with 1,100 miles--great Good Luck!!!! I might suggest you create two budgets-one considering dollars, the other considering weight. You might end up with a hybrid backpacking kit, but saving any ounces will enable you to enjoy this experience all the more. I cut 5 lbs. out of my AT pack and it has made a significant difference.

Turk6177
09-03-2012, 10:14
I use a MSR Hubba, but it is a one man tent. You could try to look at the MSR Hubba Hubba which is a two man tent. I am hiking with a pal who is going to use a hammock system. It weighs a lot less than a tent. I have been watching videos of a guy who is thru-hiking the AT right now who is using a hammock system. It seems like he has only had one day that he had to "cowboy" camp when he couldn't find trees to hang in. I kind of wish I knew about the hammocks before I bought my tent. After my next trip with my buddy, I am going to evaluate whether or not to switch to a hammock. I just want to see it in action and try it out first before making a purchase.

Old Hiker
09-03-2012, 10:31
+1 on post #7 - keep saving as much as possible to get the best possible tent set up, regardless of tent - tarp - hammock. It will be the BEST investment I think you can make, both comfort wise and weight wise. I'm preaching to the choir, you've heard it all before, I'm sure, but put aside a little every check and be patient !! It'll happen quicker than you think.

Good luck.

Mfrenchy
09-03-2012, 10:55
I agree with the others that say don't limit yourself on this item. This is one of your BIG 4 so choose wisely.

ljcsov
09-03-2012, 11:24
Thanks for all the replies guys.

The SD Skyscraper Scout is within my budget and weighs considerable less than other tents, since I carry trekking poles. Any comments on this tent? It looks pretty good but I am concerned with gear storage which appears to be limited. I've seen a few videos on youtube of people inside of it, and for a one man tent, it appears to be generous in size, preventing any claustrophobia. On the downside, it looks as though the vestibules may be very limited, making it difficult to store gear there.

ljcsov
09-03-2012, 11:27
Sorry! I meant Skyscape!

Also, is the "porch" a viable option if you are already using your trekking poles for the pitch of the tent? I suppose it would be easy enough to cut some sticks and sharpen the ends.

ljcsov
09-03-2012, 11:35
Sorry again! My big four are as follows:

Pack: Lowe Alpine Nanon 50:60 - not the lightest, but light for its style of framed pack I think, lots of space for winter treks
Bag: Marmot Sawtooth 20F - down bag, seemed like a classic all arounder, not the lightest, but decently light and was affordable
Pad: Thermarest Prolite Short, also have a RidgeRest foam pad with the reflective stuff -- both are pretty light, I sleep on my belly so I don't need the softest surface to lie on

So, tent is all I need. All the other details I have covered with some options.

STICK
09-03-2012, 12:21
Here is a write up of my Skyscape Trekker along with a video of the tent and the porch.

http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/six-moon-designs-skyscape-trekker/

I will admit, I do not own this tent anymore. I sold it to help fund a lighter wieght cuben fiber tent, although I think that this tent is a very nice option for those wanting to go lighter but not break the bank.

Also, as many suggest, one of HS Tarptents would be a good option too. It is not to hard to look around and find the Contrails being sold used for around $150...

Also, be aware that with a single wall shelter such as these, site selection is very important to minimize condensation inside the tent. Don't get me wrong, even a double wall will fill up with condensation as much as a single wall, but the difference is that the condensation is on the fly and not exactly inside with you... Just be sure to avoid low areas, areas next to water and open fields when possible. Instead, go a little higher up and under trees (but look up first!) to help alleviate inner condensation.

Also, know that these tents are not freestanding and will require staking out to stay erected...

Another thing to consider is side entrance vs front entrance. Many prefer a side entrance, where as some don't mind either...it may sound picky, but after using the tent for a while, chance are you will form an opinion on this and it will make a difference...

As well, I agree with the posters above that say try not to skimp on a tent...I know it is hard, but look around for deals and get a good one...otherwise, replacing it down the road will cost you more in the long run... (although, if you turn out to be a gear nut like a few of us here...you will own more than one tent...or even 2 or three...or more... :) )

Anyway, good luck in your decision!

MuddyWaters
09-03-2012, 12:36
You seem to be a bit concerned with gear storage.
If you bring minimal gear, you dont have anything to store but a cook pot and water bottles, and they dont take much room or require coverage
empty pack goes under lower legs often
unused clothing is pillow.
basically, all you might want to do is keep your shoes dry, maybe. Even that doesnt matter to me much.

If you have a bunch of gear to store, you are bringing too much stuff.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 13:14
For another $50 you could get a Tarptent and save 2+ lbs. This is a piece of gear not to limit your self by budget. You will be carrying this and living in it for a while... Take a look at the Tarptent Notch---might hit the spot, I have the Contrail with 1,100 miles--great Good Luck!!!! I might suggest you create two budgets-one considering dollars, the other considering weight. You might end up with a hybrid backpacking kit, but saving any ounces will enable you to enjoy this experience all the more. I cut 5 lbs. out of my AT pack and it has made a significant difference.

I agree with q-tip about the Notch. I've been through 5 tents since taking up hiking a few years back and the Notch is by far my favorite solo tent. One of the earlier tents I used was the Eureka Spitfire 1 because it was a good trade off between cost and weight. I still use it for short hikes to save wear and tear on the Notch.

ljcsov
09-03-2012, 14:47
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

Given my price range and the concern of weight, I sided with the Lightning HT 2. Since I'll only be using this for short weekend trips, I feel as though the weight will no be a major issue. Besides, for a free standing vertical wall tent, this one weighs in at a very decent weight considering it is rated for two people.

As for the tarp-tents, I plan on possibly investing in one of these in the future when I get into trips covering greater distances. For a weekend tent, I think the Lightning will cut it.

Hopefully some day I'll be fortunate enough to have the time to get to plan some longer trips, where a tarp tent will be handy. However, at this time in my life, law school leaves little time for me to get out for an extended period of time, where weekend trips can even be tough to find time for.

Again, thanks a bunch. :)

mediauras
09-04-2012, 12:15
You could also check out REI-brand tents. They're not bad, and they have steadily been putting out lighter models. That said, the SMD Scout is great little tarptent. Lots of room inside, but yes, limited vestibule.

mediauras
09-04-2012, 12:19
Oh, and maybe check out EMS brand tents. I think their 2 man tent is under 4 lbs this year. If its not on sale now, it will be a great deal at some point this fall. I have an older 2 man from EMS and its not a bad piece of kit.

Feral Bill
09-04-2012, 13:12
Drifter 2: My son owns one, and it has room for two tall people. Sheds snow, self supporting, a bit heavy for solo, especially in summer.

Clip Flashlight: I own one, and it is roomy for one, cramped for two. Moderate snow should be OK with a taut pitch, easy set up, decent weigh for a double wall tent. The new ones have more mesh in the canopy than I like. Should be easy to find used.

8x10 silnylon tarp: My current favorite. Light, roomy, airy, quick pitch, light. Add bug netting when needed and a light ground cloth and you're still under two pounds. My son's off in the mountains with mine as I write.

Lots of choice out there

colorado_rob
09-04-2012, 13:47
FWIW: We (my wife and I) used a SD Lightning tent for a couple years straight, looks the same as this "HT2" version, except ours had only one door and larger single-vestibule. I don't recall any condensation issues other than what is normal, meaning you do have to vent it some with zipper-management. It really is all about a nice, taught pitch, which keeps the perimeter nicely vented as well. get that right and it will work very well for you. this tent feels roomier than it's square footage spec, meaning we have another 29-ish sq. foot tent that feels cramped. good choice.

Drybones
09-04-2012, 13:49
You could also check out REI-brand tents. They're not bad, and they have steadily been putting out lighter models. That said, the SMD Scout is great little tarptent. Lots of room inside, but yes, limited vestibule.

I'd be cautious with any standard construction tents that cut weight be making thier poles thinner. I have an REI Quarterdome that I bought at a scratch and dent sale. It had broken poles which I repaired with aluminum arrows. It broke in a different spot while setting it up in the back yard...very fragile...that's what I like about the Tarptents, they reduce weight via better design, not cheapening the structure.

Tom Murphy
09-04-2012, 14:31
Marmont Sawtooth - +1, that is a solid entry level 3 season bag, I kept mine after I upgraded and loan it out when someone needs to borrow a bag

The Salida looks good. I would also check out the REI and EMS tents.

Roughthis
09-04-2012, 15:05
I just bought the Eureka Solitaire for $85 and change. Very impressed and seems roomier than most solos..... Minimum weight is advertised at 2lb 9oz. I know you were looking towards a 2 person.... But this does seem to have a little extra

ljcsov
09-04-2012, 18:01
FWIW: We (my wife and I) used a SD Lightning tent for a couple years straight, looks the same as this "HT2" version, except ours had only one door and larger single-vestibule. I don't recall any condensation issues other than what is normal, meaning you do have to vent it some with zipper-management. It really is all about a nice, taught pitch, which keeps the perimeter nicely vented as well. get that right and it will work very well for you. this tent feels roomier than it's square footage spec, meaning we have another 29-ish sq. foot tent that feels cramped. good choice.

Oh wow! That makes me feel really good about my choice. I'm really looking forward to getting it. For the price, it seemed like a no-brainer and will hopefully last me a few years.

Also, thanks for the +1 on the Marmot Sawtooth. I feel like this bag will handle most of Pennsylvania's weather environment, granted during the coldest of times some clothing may be necessary.

The Lowe Alpine Pack proves to be a decent choice. For that size pack and the fact that it has a frame, I think it's hard to beat.

joedperk
09-04-2012, 18:05
Don't forget the LightHeart tents... they are worth looking at ..