PDA

View Full Version : To all the hikers that drink alcohol while on the trail......

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 21:19
Lately I've noticed among some of the topics that many of you believe it is adamantly necessary to drink alcohol when at a town stop. If others are going you join them, or you make it a point that if there is nothing else to do to go to the nearest bar, lounge or get something at a store. It's been stated by more than several people that they drink for hours and excessively when in town.
That was and still will not be part of any long trail hike for me. When I did the AT in 1992, there was perhaps 2 people out of all those that I met that did regular visits to the town bars and not many joined them. In fact it was looked down on, but since there wasn't too many doing it, the majority just looked the other way.
On the PCT/CDT and other trails, alcohol on the trail was non-existent. Off the trail it was casual, like many 1 beer every 3rd or 4th town stop. I do drink, it's just not on my list of things to do when I get to town.
So, if you plan to do a long trail any time in the next 4-6 years, remind me to steer clear of you because I can think of better ways to spend my money in town.
As for the non-drinkers out there, or those that simply don't drink when you get to town, looking forward to meeting you on the trail!

MuddyWaters
09-02-2012, 21:33
Have you ever stopped at a convenience store on the way home from work, say around 5 pm?
A significant portion of the population stops and buys 6pack or half case, every day on their way home. Some small stores exist primarily on beer sales.

When I worked for Marathon Petroleum in the late 80s, Marathon operated Speedway foodstores.
They made more money selling beer and cigarettes, than gasoline. They were not primarily an oil company, they were primarily a beer and cigarette retailer.
That is unfortunately many peoples daily way of life.
No reason to expect the AT to be lacking in such folks.

Papa D
09-02-2012, 21:35
When I'm on the trail, I don't drink, except a little pick me up in the morning, and a little glass of wine with lunch, and, of course, a little wine with dinner, and then the obligatory shot or three of liquor at the campsite - aside from that, I don't drink a drop and agree with you. :-) burp.

chief
09-02-2012, 21:36
Different Socks is trolling. Get with it, moderators.

Papa D
09-02-2012, 21:39
When I'm on the trail, I don't drink, except a little pick me up in the morning, and a little glass of wine with lunch, and, of course, a little wine with dinner, and then the obligatory shot or three of liquor at the campsite - aside from that, I don't drink a drop and agree with you. :-) burp.

I'm kidding, of course. When I'm in a town, I might have a couple - aside from that, I'm sober as a judge - - it's a weird post though - - I drink a little but only want to associate with non-drinkers - so what?

Chaco Taco
09-02-2012, 21:44
Lately I've noticed among some of the topics that many of you believe it is adamantly necessary to drink alcohol when at a town stop. If others are going you join them, or you make it a point that if there is nothing else to do to go to the nearest bar, lounge or get something at a store. It's been stated by more than several people that they drink for hours and excessively when in town.
That was and still will not be part of any long trail hike for me. When I did the AT in 1992, there was perhaps 2 people out of all those that I met that did regular visits to the town bars and not many joined them. In fact it was looked down on, but since there wasn't too many doing it, the majority just looked the other way.
On the PCT/CDT and other trails, alcohol on the trail was non-existent. Off the trail it was casual, like many 1 beer every 3rd or 4th town stop. I do drink, it's just not on my list of things to do when I get to town.
So, if you plan to do a long trail any time in the next 4-6 years, remind me to steer clear of you because I can think of better ways to spend my money in town.
As for the non-drinkers out there, or those that simply don't drink when you get to town, looking forward to meeting you on the trail!
I call bulls***. Dude do you know how this post makes you sound?

kayak karl

haven't had a drink in 8 months (health), but don't look for me. i don't think i would look forward to meeting you. i little too judgmental for me.

yellowsirocco
Lighten up man. I agree there is a stupidly alcoholic party crowd who just need a giant intervention, but there are many shades of grey out there too. There are a lot of people that you can exclude from your experience by taking such a hard opinion like this. You never know, you could be missing out on some good friends with this strict approach.

Lone Wolf
09-02-2012, 21:46

you drunk postin'? i used to do that

Pedaling Fool
09-02-2012, 21:46
Different Socks, this is a non-issue, everyone knows global warming is causing a major beer shortage.

Warning: World-Wide Beer Crisis
Rising Temps May Lead to Beer Shortage

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/world-wide-beer-crisis-44040908#ixzz25MpHjhZW

Papa D
09-02-2012, 21:48
I've read a bunch of DS's posts - DS is ok - this one is half baked - it's a foul ball - not a strike-out yet

coach lou
09-02-2012, 21:52
John....easy with the GW language, I've found it to be taboo here:cool:

Carbo
09-02-2012, 21:53
Drinking alcohol may be a good way to purify the water.

hikerboy57
09-02-2012, 22:13
good social skills are often necessary when interacting with humans both off and on the trail

Teeycp
09-02-2012, 22:21
Bud.....wieser!

Rasty
09-02-2012, 22:33
I work at restaurants and it amazes me how much some can drink. 8 double Dewars on the rocks and act normal. If I drank two I would be ready to fall asleep.

Chaco Taco
09-02-2012, 22:35
I work at restaurants and it amazes me how much some can drink. 8 double Dewars on the rocks and act normal. If I drank two I would be ready to fall asleep.
Yea in Wilmington, folks can out em down, My pops lives there

Toli
09-02-2012, 22:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ckIv1tiaU

Train Wreck
09-02-2012, 22:46

Dude, that's a little harsh

Rasty
09-02-2012, 22:56

Dude, that's a little harsh

Brand new ex drinker?

Train Wreck
09-02-2012, 22:59
Brand new ex drinker?

you talking to me?

coach lou
09-02-2012, 23:01
you talking to me?

That would be............YO, yous takin' ta me?

Train Wreck
09-02-2012, 23:08
That would be............YO, yous takin' ta me?

no, it should have been "Y'all talkin' to me?"

chiefiepoo
09-02-2012, 23:08
Well, Socks, I too can think of better ways to spend my money in town. Case in point was, in fact, in Havre, MT last Wednesday. After a hot day riding a slow AMTRAK east accross Montana we reached Havre. I always keep a lot of quaters in my pocket so I can run into the station at Havre and buy an ice cream sandwich from the machine in the RR station. Well, you guys had the train platform blocked off for construction so no one could enjoy a sweet, cold treat from the ice cream machine. So we all got back on board and and had a drink, or two.

BTW, where did the Border Patrol go? They used to meet the east bound Empire Builder with 4 agents, a dog, and a local sheriff. Non to be seen this trip.

Mountain Mike
09-02-2012, 23:12
A cold beer after a hard day on the trail was a nice treat. As in all things moderation.

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:13

Nice try, but I am not trolling. I don't even know what that it is.

This is just an issue that is just like over use of cell phones on the trail: It used to scarcely seen or encountered, but now seems to be much more prevalent on the trails, especially the AT.

Train Wreck
09-02-2012, 23:15
A cold beer after a hard day on the trail was a nice treat. As in all things moderation.

roger that!

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:19
I call bulls***. Dude do you know how this post makes you sound?

Yes, I know how this makes me sound!! I am not out there to get high, drunk, or wasted by drugs. But it seems as if the number of people that make up the crowd of people on the trail each years grows.
I hiked a section of the trail in VA a number of years ago. I couldn't believe the crap I heard that hikers were comitting while doing their hike: trashing a golf cart, hikers stealing from other hikers as well as places in town, hikers getting totally stoned or drunk then coming back to the hostel, inn, or motel wrackeed out of their minds and trashing the place they stayed.
These are not the people I would want to hang with--WOULD YOU?

hikerboy57
09-02-2012, 23:19
Nice try, but I am not trolling. I don't even know what that it is.

This is just an issue that is just like over use of cell phones on the trail: It used to scarcely seen or encountered, but now seems to be much more prevalent on the trails, especially the AT. cellphones and alcohol are a bigger issue off the trail than on the trail. and you deal with it the same way

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:20
haven't had a drink in 8 months (health), but don't look for me. i don't think i would look forward to meeting you. i little too judgmental for me.

So I am being judgmental b/c I wish to not hike with people that all they want to do is drink when they get to town?

Mountain Mike
09-02-2012, 23:22
Yes, I know how this makes me sound!! I am not out there to get high, drunk, or wasted by drugs. But it seems as if the number of people that make up the crowd of people on the trail each years grows.
I hiked a section of the trail in VA a number of years ago. I couldn't believe the crap I heard that hikers were comitting while doing their hike: trashing a golf cart, hikers stealing from other hikers as well as places in town, hikers getting totally stoned or drunk then coming back to the hostel, inn, or motel wrackeed out of their minds and trashing the place they stayed.

No, but the guy that has a nip or two at end of a long day hiking, yeah I'd hike with them. Seem a few bad apples at hostels & towns give majority of hikers a bad name.

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:24
Lighten up man. I agree there is a stupidly alcoholic party crowd who just need a giant intervention, but there are many shades of grey out there too. There are a lot of people that you can exclude from your experience by taking such a hard opinion like this. You never know, you could be missing out on some good friends with this strict approach.

I am not saying that I wouldn't like to get to know people that drink. I am saying that I wouldn't want to be around them or hike with them or share a room with anyone that goes out and gets smashed in every town juts b/c it's something to do or even it's something they want to do.
I have a few drinks myself, usually one about every 3rd or 4th town stop. But I am not gonna hang with those that will drink so much they come back inebriated.

Train Wreck
09-02-2012, 23:25

No, who in their right mind would? The OP didn't make it exactly clear if it was bad behavior, or just drinking, that bothers you. Although I realize that one is fueled by the other.

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:27
Well, Socks, I too can think of better ways to spend my money in town. Case in point was, in fact, in Havre, MT last Wednesday. After a hot day riding a slow AMTRAK east accross Montana we reached Havre. I always keep a lot of quaters in my pocket so I can run into the station at Havre and buy an ice cream sandwich from the machine in the RR station. Well, you guys had the train platform blocked off for construction so no one could enjoy a sweet, cold treat from the ice cream machine. So we all got back on board and and had a drink, or two.

BTW, where did the Border Patrol go? They used to meet the east bound Empire Builder with 4 agents, a dog, and a local sheriff. Non to be seen this trip.

Good thing about the patrol........hiding somethin' were ya?

hikerboy57
09-02-2012, 23:27
so don't hang out with them. but you don't have to make a public announcement about it. usually not a good idea to pick a fight with a drunk. but it's easy enough to avoid so why make such a point of it?

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:30

Agree! Thank you. A beer or two is okay! Hell I might buy a round or two.....BUT, I have seen posts here at WB that people are saying they do alot more than 1 or 2 drinks, and in every town. Case in point: Read the posts about how much money to spend on the trail. MANY of the answers contained references to having $$$$$ to drink!!

coach lou
09-02-2012, 23:33
Bob, it's no different than regular life. You don't hang with drunkards at home , why would you hang with them on the trail? And how much time you planning to spend in town anyway?

Mountain Mike
09-02-2012, 23:35
Agree! Thank you. A beer or two is okay! Hell I might buy a round or two.....BUT, I have seen posts here at WB that people are saying they do alot more than 1 or 2 drinks, and in every town. Case in point: Read the posts about how much money to spend on the trail. MANY of the answers contained references to having $$$$$ to drink!!

Very true. Maybe why there are so high cost of what a hike costs. It can be done cheap with limited town stops. I go both ways with some drinking in towns & neros. To each his own.

Kryptonite
09-02-2012, 23:36
So I am being judgmental b/c I wish to not hike with people that all they want to do is drink when they get to town?

Whoa. You don't have to worry about me hiking with you. First it was the cell phones. Now it is the booze. I am not a big drinker at all, but do you realize how you are coming across?

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:37
so don't hang out with them. but you don't have to make a public announcement about it. usually not a good idea to pick a fight with a drunk. but it's easy enough to avoid so wide make such a point of it?

Good question! I did the OP b/c I've noted more and more how much the trail clientele has changed since I did my thru in 92. I wanted to see if there was anybody out there that doesn't do this. But according to the responses, 90% of them say it's okay for them to do, just tolerate it.

Mountain Mike
09-02-2012, 23:38
OK to drink...yes. OK to get pie faced & come into a hostel, trash a hotel room, no!!! It's all about respect for fellow hikers, hostel owners, & motel mangers. Same as in the real world, but I would hope hikers would be more respectfull of people that share their space with.

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:39
Bob, it's no different than regular life. You don't hang with drunkards at home , why would you hang with them on the trail? And how much time you planning to spend in town anyway?

Usually just 1 night. Isn't that enough time for those others to get smashed before they set foot on the trail?

BTW, it's a shame when I do meet a great person on the trail, and then i have to avoid them b/c of an issue like this one. What's worse is when they can't figure out why.

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:41
Whoa. You don't have to worry about me hiking with you. First it was the cell phones. Now it is the booze. I am not a big drinker at all, but do you realize how you are coming across?

Guess if I had a choice, I'd take the cell phones over the booze.

Different Socks
09-02-2012, 23:47

So I am a bad person to hike with b/c i don't wish to hang out with an excessive drinker or don't wish to be near someone that uses their cell phone for games, GPS, internet, texting, talking?
Cell phones are okay for emergencies, music, weather updates, journaling, or picture taking. Why else would you need to have it out?
BTW, in reaction to the responses I got about the cell phone post, I simply decided that their gonna be used no matter how i feel, and if I think the person is invading my outdoor experience i will ask them politely yo go talk somewhere else.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 07:54
What a party pooper! The thoughts of a cold beer, cheeseburger and fries was all that kept me going at times.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 08:04
OP...you need to mellow out dude...try this prescription...one bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

Del Q
09-03-2012, 08:33
Guess I will chide in here.................I can speak from my personal experience, have not (yet) witnessed any craziness on the AT - ie in Shelters or in towns. What does make me sick is a totally trashed out shelter, just don't get people polluting, whether it is on our local trails in Philly or out in the woods. I always try to clean things up as best I can. Many times beer related, probably all locals.

I did not used to carry any "hooch" as a friend in the Midwest asked, him and his friends who are serious outdoorsman (one is planning on climbing Mt Everest) - they bring vodka and have a drink or three at night.

Now I bring a small amount, pretty nice to have a drink after the typical exhausting day out backpacking. To each his own.

When I am in a town its to resupply, get a room / shower, eat town food, and maybe have a few drinks at a bar. I am out there to hike but to also enjoy myself, which includes eating and yes, drinking.

There is a place close to where I live that Ben Franklin used to hang out at. It is where the paper for his book company was made. There is a small bar in that 300 year old house, that is where Ben and his friends would hang out and socialize. Who would not want to be there and listen to their conversations?

Eating and drinking has been a part of human existence and our socialization for 1000's of years. Things change, look at the marijuana laws in the USA, was speaking to an old friend who I have not seen in 20+ years, what he was sharing about the ways things are in California is NUTS!

Cell phones on the AT, there is etiquette in all things, if used that should be kept private............one of the reasons I avoid shelters.

America was and is made great by the fact that we can all openly share our opinions...........that freedom of speech thing. Am reading a book about North Korea right now, stupid me, did not know how bad things really are in that country.

Tinker
09-03-2012, 08:50
Excessive drinking brings with it all sorts of bad behaviors, such as leaving messes behind you, leaving cigarettes burning on a table or shelter floor, mainly because drunks don't usually have a memory once they get to a certain stage, and when a person is hung over, they usually feel so bad that they don't care much what anyone thinks of the disaster they leave behind.

BUT we can pick and choose who we hike and sleep with, mainly by choosing to tent or hammock away from shelters.....and I don't remember any occasions of a hiker being forced to share a hotel room with a drunk.

I'm not fond of hanging out with drunk people, but some of them are fine human beings when they're sober.

Again, pick and choose (and do your best to get along). :)

Sly
09-03-2012, 09:08

Not my forum, but I tend to agree.

I especially like this part, "when I hiked in '92 blah, blah, blah... " Well it's not 1992 any longer, the dry south sells beer in most towns, the north don't give a damn, and hikers on the western trails also imbibe from time to time.

Maddog
09-03-2012, 09:16

Wow! Really? First it was cell phones and now it's partiers! What do you do when you don't like what's on TV? Cancel your cable provider? Live and let live! Jeez, what a
control freak! Dude, get over yourself! Maddog:D

kayak karl
09-03-2012, 09:17
tinker i agree with you, but with the OP's extensive hiking history (AT,PCT,CDT) you would think he knew this already. its easy to find a group that fits your likes and dislikes. even hostels, you hear which ones party and which ones have strict rules.
first post is about drinkers, not drunks. then he backpedals through the tread to where he drinks every 3rd-4th town and "TWO" beers is OK.
Different Socks, you can use my signature line :)

Maddog
09-03-2012, 09:24
tinker i agree with you, but with the OP's extensive hiking history (AT,PCT,CDT) you would think he knew this already. its easy to find a group that fits your likes and dislikes. even hostels, you hear which ones party and which ones have strict rules.
first post is about drinkers, not drunks. then he backpedals through the tread to where he drinks every 3rd-4th town and "TWO" beers is OK.

Plus one...KK...plus one!!! Maddog:D

Sly
09-03-2012, 09:28
So I am a bad person to hike with b/c .....I don't wish to be near someone that uses their cell phone for games, GPS, internet, texting, talking?
Cell phones are okay for emergencies, music, weather updates, journaling, or picture taking. Why else would you need to have it out?

... if I think the person is invading my outdoor experience i will ask them politely yo go talk somewhere else.

And if the one with the dreaded cellphone was there first?

Let's get this straight, cellphones OK for journaling but not texting; emergencies, but not talking; music or picture taking but not internet or games; and why of all reasons can't one use one as a GPS, which is perhaps their most useful function when hiking?

If anyone is in need of a cocktail or joint, it may be you.

Perhaps the biggest injustice to cellphones was the "can you hear me now" Verizon commercial. It seems many people feel they need to yell into their phones to be heard. Seriously, there's no need to speak louder than a normal conversational tone.

My biggest pet peeve? At a volume that can be heard across the valley, "You'll never guess where I am."

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 09:32
So I am a bad person to hike with b/c i don't wish to hang out with an excessive drinker or don't wish to be near someone that uses their cell phone for games, GPS, internet, texting, talking?
BTW, in reaction to the responses I got about the cell phone post, I simply decided that their gonna be used no matter how i feel, and if I think the person is invading my outdoor experience i will ask them politely yo go talk somewhere else.

Whoa.. so I see how this works. AMazzzzing!! DS... I can understand what you are saying in your OP. I have no problem with the point you are making or your feelings about it. I wouldn't even say it's harsh.

You don't come across to me as judgemental, mean spirited or intolerant. You have opinions & feelings about things you have observed, on the trail, that others do. (peeps talking on cell phones & not being considerate of others around them, people drinking wayyy too much etc...) It's too bad you can't express those feelings without being judged, yourself. Just like HB said... it's all about people skills. It's a learned skill that is useful on and off the trail. Sounds to me like that have that one covered. I like the word you used... politely. That word has meaning to me.

Oh yeah, you are a BAD judgemental person.:rolleyes: I don't think soo..... People pick out one thing you say and run with it. It's like selective hearing- only it's selective reading on here.

Slo-go'en
09-03-2012, 09:36
Excessive drinking on the AT is a non-issue. Of course it happens on occasion, but is not so common that it is of any concern.

Err, if I expect to scramble up the Great Gully trail in King Ravine today, I'd better get out of here. Darn, I forgot to buy whisky for camp tonight. Oh well.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 09:40
Excessive drinking on the AT is a non-issue. Of course it happens on occasion, but is not so common that it is of any concern.

Err, if I expect to scramble up the Great Gully trail in King Ravine today, I'd better get out of here. Darn, I forgot to buy whisky for camp tonight. Oh well.
sorry for the thread drift, but the great gully is awesome, with a weird scramble between two boulders overhanging the ravine.

Sly
09-03-2012, 09:45
.. People pick out one thing you say and run with it. It's like selective hearing- only it's selective reading on here.

Well yeah, let's start with the title and the first few lines...

To all the hikers that drink alcohol while on the trail......

Can you pull one example out of "many of you believe it is adamantly necessary to drink alcohol when at a town stop" where they're setting a bad example or encouraging poor behaviour?

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 09:49

I agree with you... it's not a common thing that happens on the trail but if you have it happen to you, it matters to you, OK?

Have a great hike and Happy Labor Day to you. BTW, the last part of the sentence is totally uncalled for, IMHO.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 09:53
i dont even know where he read this stuff. whart i have read is that many hikers who had to end their thru attempt because they run out of money, the #1 reason was that they drank it away by the time trail days came along.
and Hikermom, my response was involving social skills both off and on the trail. you dont handle it any differrently. Soccks, how do you deal with cell phones and alcohol where you live?
its no different, and a non-issue on the trail.

OzJacko
09-03-2012, 10:00
People who drink in quantity tend to be slow out the next day.
Make a quick start and you leave em behind.
Problem solved.

Sampson
09-03-2012, 10:01
Stay away from any and all professional sporting events. You're liable to spontaneously combust.

WhiplashEm
09-03-2012, 10:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMhgyzUC5S0

English Stu
09-03-2012, 10:03
If a lot of alcohol has been hiked up to a shelter there is a fair chance after a while I might head off to stealth camp somewhere. However on my first section hike of ten weeks I had not planned to spend much time in towns. After 3 days and for virtually the rest of the trip to Springer I teamed up with hiker from NYC, though we rarely walked together during the day. We stopped in every town not for loads of beer but to socialise in the bars with the locals and other hikers. Best thing I did. Did the same on the JMT and had a nero day at each ranch.
Like most things on the trail if you don't like what is going on there is plenty of trail to get away from it.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 10:13
Hike Your Own Hike and Live Your Own Life... Pretty easy and should be the same thing. If your hike doesn't include drinking, then don't hang out with those who choose to drink. I don't hang out with those who are drinking to get drunk. That is my choice - On and off the trail. If someone gets in my face with their drinking, I will deal with it as the situation arises. Have never met anyone who forced me to hang out with them so they could get drunk... I just walk away. I am not the drinking police.

Still, telling someone how they should hike their hike/live? Telling someone they can't go drink to get drunk (because that is not the way you hike/live)... That is on the same level as someone forcing their drunkenness on your hike. It goes both ways. If you don't want someone telling you how to hike your hike/live your life, then you have to respect they are hiking their own hike/living their own life.

Just my opinion.

Cookerhiker
09-03-2012, 10:14
Seems to me focusing on hiker (mis)behavior rather than alcohol per se is the bigger issue. HYOH but be considerate of others i.e. Golden Rule. Is that so hard to follow?

OP...you need to mellow out dude...try this prescription...one bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

What a party pooper! The thoughts of a cold beer, cheeseburger and fries was all that kept me going at times.

Maybe the OP needs to "mellow out," but you need to assess your priorities. Is that reason you hike - to indulge in burgers & beer? You're not "kept going" by the trail itself, the outdoor experience, the freedom of being in the woods with fresh air, mountain streams, views from ridgetops, the physical challenges in a more enjoyable setting than your local gym, Spring wildflowers, Fall leaves, etc. etc.? Those are the reasons many of us hike but I guess for you, it's all about the town stops?

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 10:28
i dont even know where he read this stuff. whart i have read is that many hikers who had to end their thru attempt because they run out of money, the #1 reason was that they drank it away by the time trail days came along.
and Hikermom, my response was involving social skills both off and on the trail. you dont handle it any differrently. Soccks, how do you deal with cell phones and alcohol where you live?

I didn't think I misunderstood what you meant... people skills/social skills is the same on and off the trail. I agree with you. I think what Socks is saying about cell phones is that he wants to get away from those things in the woods. Rude cell phone users may still bother him in the real world but that's a different topic. The same with the alcohol issue. It's not something a person really wants to deal with out in the woods. I get it. This is what I hear him saying... I don't like to deal with rude cell phone users or excessive drinkers, in the woods. PERIOD. That's it. We can all just tell him to deal with it OR it's a non-issue OR pick every little thing he says apart and spin it the way we want 2. OR we can say ... OK, I can understand your feelings and be done with it. As long as, you, (RS) aren't mean or rude to them, that offend you, it's all good. This discussion could be more about how RS can handle dealing with what he finds annoying.. I think he has already said he would politely ask the cell phone users to move away from him. I love my cell phone out on the trail but I would want to know if my use of it was bothering someone else. Just sayin.....

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 10:51
QUOTE=Different Socks;1332838]So I am a bad person to hike with b/c i don't wish to hang out with an excessive drinker or don't wish to be near someone that uses their cell phone for games, GPS, internet, texting, talking?

Whoa.. so I see how this works. AMazzzzing!! DS... I can understand what you are saying in your OP. I have no problem with the point you are making or your feelings about it. I wouldn't even say it's harsh.

You don't come across to me as judgemental, mean spirited or intolerant. You have opinions & feelings about things you have observed, on the trail, that others do. (peeps talking on cell phones & not being considerate of others around them, people drinking wayyy too much etc...) It's too bad you can't express those feelings without being judged, yourself. Just like HB said... it's all about people skills. It's a learned skill that is useful on and off the trail. Sounds to me like that have that one covered. I like the word you used... politely. That word has meaning to me.

Oh yeah, you are a BAD judgemental person.:rolleyes: I don't think soo..... People pick out one thing you say and run with it. It's like selective hearing- only it's selective reading on here.[/QUOTE]

Get over yourself lady. If you dont like something, keep walking. Buch of friggin whiners!

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 10:52
. If you dont like something, keep walking. Bunch of friggin whiners!

Having a moment with my posting sorry :)

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:00
I agree with you... it's not a common thing that happens on the trail but if you have it happen to you, it matters to you, OK?

Have a great hike and Happy Labor Day to you. BTW, the last part of the sentence is totally uncalled for, IMHO.

Oh my goodness lady.... you have some friggin issues

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:11

Again, I am repeating, "I am not talking about one or 2 beers with a meal or just to relax after getting to town. I am talking about the people that seem to think that one of the things on their list to do in town is to go get smashed just because its something to do and others are doing it."
In fact, after drinking sugared drinks on the trail, one of the things that did cross my mind was a beer with dinner once I got to town. BUT, I wouldn't stay and have several, or I wouldn't walk over to the bar after finishing dinner just b/c its there and i can have more. So in other words Drybones, I'd join you for dinner and a beer. But if you began having enough to affect you, I'd leave. That's just not what I am there for.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:17
Again, I am repeating, "I am not talking about one or 2 beers with a meal or just to relax after getting to town. I am talking about the people that seem to think that one of the things on their list to do in town is to go get smashed just because its something to do and others are doing it."
In fact, after drinking sugared drinks on the trail, one of the things that did cross my mind was a beer with dinner once I got to town. BUT, I wouldn't stay and have several, or I wouldn't walk over to the bar after finishing dinner just b/c its there and i can have more. So in other words Drybones, I'd join you for dinner and a beer. But if you began having enough to affect you, I'd leave. That's just not what I am there for.
"I do drink, it's just not on my list of things to do when I get to town. So, if you plan to do a long trail any time in the next 4-6 years, remind me to steer clear of you because I can think of better ways to spend my money in town."

Singing a different tune now, just sayin :-?

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 11:21
"beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy"

coach lou
09-03-2012, 11:24

Did you say, the other nite, that Damascus is Dry?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:26
Not my forum, but I tend to agree.

I especially like this part, "when I hiked in '92 blah, blah, blah... " Well it's not 1992 any longer, the dry south sells beer in most towns, the north don't give a damn, and hikers on the western trails also imbibe from time to time.

"when I hiked in 92" was used as a comparison. Do so many of you really don't mind being around heavy drinkers? What if the person was on carrying drugs or pot and was using it at the end of every day and at the shelters. And why is it that some of you answer that the way to deal with people like this is to simply not stay in a shelter?

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT!! In 1992, years before and after, very few of the people that I met(there were several hundred) did not do pot, carry drugs, or drink excessively in trail. In fact the only person that anyone was bothered by was the thru hiker that carried a gun in his pack. At least until Shenandoah where he got caught and put in jail for possession of it.
Yes, there were some drinkers, but luckily for me and others in the loose we group we had, none of us did it excessively. Actually, none of us smoked either.
I said in the OP, if after hiking with you and going into towns with you, one of the things you do is get drunk every time, I will get ahead of you or slow down simply to be out of your presence. On the trail that person may be great to hike with, but if off trail turns into a bad experience more than once, I'd begin to question whether I'd want to continue hiking with them.
What is wrong with that?

Chaco Taco
For liquor........

Lone Wolf

no. plenty of beer and wine here in town. some untaxed likker too

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:27
"when I hiked in 92" was used as a comparison. Do so many of you really don't mind being around heavy drinkers? What if the person was on carrying drugs or pot and was using it at the end of every day and at the shelters. And why is it that some of you answer that the way to deal with people like this is to simply not stay in a shelter?

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT!! In 1992, years before and after, very few of the people that I met(there were several hundred) did not do pot, carry drugs, or drink excessively in trail. In fact the only person that anyone was bothered by was the thru hiker that carried a gun in his pack. At least until Shenandoah where he got caught and put in jail for possession of it.
Yes, there were some drinkers, but luckily for me and others in the loose we group we had, none of us did it excessively. Actually, none of us smoked either.
I said in the OP, if after hiking with you and going into towns with you, one of the things you do is get drunk every time, I will get ahead of you or slow down simply to be out of your presence. On the trail that person may be great to hike with, but if off trail turns into a bad experience more than once, I'd begin to question whether I'd want to continue hiking with them.
What is wrong with that?
Well some people are better at hiding it than others. I know that there are some hikers that hiked during that same time that were notorious for getting hammered in town.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:28
thats the best kind of liquor

Liquor, I dont even know her :-?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:33

Kayak Karl, in the OP this is what I said in the first paragraph:

Note that I used the words "adamantly necessary" and "excessively". I did not say anything about being against casual drinkers!
Do all of you truly believe that your trail experience would be enhanced by hanging out with these types of drinkers either on trail or in a trail town?

coach lou
09-03-2012, 11:35
thats the best kind of liquor

Liquor, I dont even know her :-?

I think we are all getting our threads mixed up:p

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:40
And if the one with the dreaded cellphone was there first?

"Let's get this straight, cellphones OK for journaling but not texting; emergencies, but not talking; music or picture taking but not internet or games; and why of all reasons can't one use one as a GPS, which is perhaps their most useful function when hiking?"

If anyone is in need of a cocktail or joint, it may be you.

Perhaps the biggest injustice to cellphones was the "can you hear me now" Verizon commercial. It seems many people feel they need to yell into their phones to be heard. Seriously, there's no need to speak louder than a normal conversational tone.

My biggest pet peeve? At a volume that can be heard across the valley, "You'll never guess where I am."

I said this in the other post about cell phones: Why is it necessary to text while on the trail? Why is it necessary to talk into it incessantly every day and or night, sometimes more than once day? Why the need for a GPS when there is a trail blaze every 30ft?
All I am saying about the cell phones is that if you wish to talk into it every night, be respectful of the other people around you and walk away so we can't here you. "Internet and games"? Why would you need that on the trail? Seriously people, isn't one of the reasons you're out there is to get away from all that technological invasion?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:44
QUOTE=Different Socks;1332838]So I am a bad person to hike with b/c i don't wish to hang out with an excessive drinker or don't wish to be near someone that uses their cell phone for games, GPS, internet, texting, talking?

Oh yeah, you are a BAD judgemental person.:rolleyes: I don't think soo..... People pick out one thing you say and run with it. It's like selective hearing- only it's selective reading on here.[/QUOTE]

WOW!!! That last line, I can't believe that someone is really saying that. Thanks!! It's good to knwo that someone else has noticed the "selective reading" ability also.

coach lou
I said this in the other post about cell phones: Why is it necessary to text while on the trail? Why is it necessary to talk into it incessantly every day and or night, sometimes more than once day? Why the need for a GPS when there is a trail blaze every 30ft?
All I am saying about the cell phones is that if you wish to talk into it every night, be respectful of the other people around you and walk away so we can't here you. "Internet and games"? Why would you need that on the trail? Seriously people, isn't one of the reasons you're out there is to get away from all that technological invasion?

I've been looking at this cabin down in Lincoln, been empty for a few years now. no electricity though.

HikerMom58
Oh my goodness lady.... you have some friggin issues

Yeah, that was a relatively mild dig but I mentioned it...... "BTW, the last part of the sentence is totally uncalled for, IMHO", if that's what you have a problem with...just guessing.

Deacon
09-03-2012, 11:45

Yes, beer is honey from heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:47

Oh yeah, you are a BAD judgemental person.:rolleyes: I don't think soo..... People pick out one thing you say and run with it. It's like selective hearing- only it's selective reading on here.

WOW!!! That last line, I can't believe that someone is really saying that. Thanks!! It's good to knwo that someone else has noticed the "selective reading" ability also.[/QUOTE]
just seems like you say one thing in the OP and then say something completely different down the line. I dont think Im the only one that noticed it either.
Its the AT, its overused and overhiked. If you want to get away from the booze and other stuff, start blue blazing more. There are better trails than the AT.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:49
Well yeah, let's start with the title and the first few lines...

Can you pull one example out of "many of you believe it is adamantly necessary to drink alcohol when at a town stop" where they're setting a bad example or encouraging poor behaviour?

I did give examples. I hike I did on the AT just a few years back(not a doz, or even in 92), there was several incidents of hikers getting drunk and damaging things or leaving behind incredible messes. And what about the places I've heard that have closed b/c of hikers bringing in alcohol where it was prohibited?

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:52
I did give examples. I hike I did on the AT just a few years back(not a doz, or even in 92), there was several incidents of hikers getting drunk and damaging things or leaving behind incredible messes. And what about the places I've heard that have closed b/c of hikers bringing in alcohol where it was prohibited?
Name one..... the places I have heard that closed down is because thruhikers dont pay! They sneak out early to avoid paying.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:53

#1 reason they were out of money was they drank it away by the time Trail Days came along!!?? HOLY CRAP!! that's only 400 miles into the hike. If what you say is true, would you want to hike with someone that did that? I'm sorry but I wouldn't.

Driver8
09-03-2012, 11:56
I think what Socks is saying about cell phones is that he wants to get away from those things in the woods.

How big a problem is this, really? I hike a lot, on a lot of well-traveled trails. Lots of people. Very rarely do I run into someone yakking rudely on the cell phone. Not never, but very rarely, maybe once or twice every 20 hours of hiking, probably less. Now it's true that I don't camp out a lot and have never overnighted at a shelter, more of a day hiker. Might be more of an issue at campsites.

But what I'm reading of the OP is someone who is anxious around other people generally, one who can't tolerate much intrusion of any sort from others. If he comes across anyone on a cell phone, it puts him on edge. Seems a bit extreme, imo. Sounds like he gets out on trail to get away from people altogether. Which is fine. But you can understand, HM, where others who are less socially anxious might have a problem with his purport to dictate to fellow hikers how to go about their hike so that it meets his many detailed specs. That's how he comes across, at least. Maybe he's just overstating his position, dunno.

No one enjoys the abuses of severe alcoholics, of themselves, of the trail (or the world around them, generally), of others. It's self-evident. Sounds like loud, brash partying has grown out on trail with its increased popularity. Expressing disapproval of that makes sense, but others have a point that aside from calling law enforcement where appropriate, the best one can do is to steer clear of the offenders, maybe express appropriate concern to them if one is friendly to them. I'm a minimal drinker at most, but I'm not going to draw some hard and fast line against others who enjoy a drink or two. Will join them in one from time to time myself, in fact.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 11:56
People who drink in quantity tend to be slow out the next day.
Make a quick start and you leave em behind.
Problem solved.

I realize that I can do this and probably would. what I was stating in the OP was that if invited along to drink, and you're only reason is to go drink and get wasted, I would decline.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 11:59
I realize that I can do this and probably would. what I was stating in the OP was that if invited along to drink, and you're only reason is to go drink and get wasted, I would decline.
Maybe just stay home :rolleyes:

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:01
Hike Your Own Hike and Live Your Own Life... Pretty easy and should be the same thing. If your hike doesn't include drinking, then don't hang out with those who choose to drink. I don't hang out with those who are drinking to get drunk. That is my choice - On and off the trail. If someone gets in my face with their drinking, I will deal with it as the situation arises. Have never met anyone who forced me to hang out with them so they could get drunk... I just walk away. I am not the drinking police.

Still, telling someone how they should hike their hike/live? Telling someone they can't go drink to get drunk (because that is not the way you hike/live)... That is on the same level as someone forcing their drunkenness on your hike. It goes both ways. If you don't want someone telling you how to hike your hike/live your life, then you have to respect they are hiking their own hike/living their own life.

Just my opinion.

I just wanna be clear about this: I wasn't telling anyone that they shouldn't drink as little or as much as they want to. I was stating that if becomes common knowledge from you, others or more own experience that you will drink alot don't ask me to join you.

Driver8
09-03-2012, 12:02

Why on earth do you care what someone else does with their cell phone, unless they're yakking loudly? Wanna play games? Have at it! I'd rather take in a view, soak my feet in a stream, build a fire, talk with other hikers. But if someone wants to piddle with their pod, good for them. You sound as problematic as the worst of the drunks, and equally difficult to talk with about it, I'm sorry to say. Quite certain that you're absolutely right, just as many a drunk is dadgummed sure she or he doesn't have a problem. But I'm talking to a wall, I reckon, or am I?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:03
Seems to me focusing on hiker (mis)behavior rather than alcohol per se is the bigger issue. HYOH but be considerate of others i.e. Golden Rule. Is that so hard to follow?

Maybe the OP needs to "mellow out," but you need to assess your priorities. Is that reason you hike - to indulge in burgers & beer? You're not "kept going" by the trail itself, the outdoor experience, the freedom of being in the woods with fresh air, mountain streams, views from ridgetops, the physical challenges in a more enjoyable setting than your local gym, Spring wildflowers, Fall leaves, etc. etc.? Those are the reasons many of us hike but I guess for you, it's all about the town stops?

WOW! Another good post. Thank you. It's good to know that others think this way. Seems too many of the posts center on being negative.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 12:04
you sound pretty self-righteous to me.

If I had the money to do it all again, Id hit every single brewery along the trail

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:08
"I do drink, it's just not on my list of things to do when I get to town. So, if you plan to do a long trail any time in the next 4-6 years, remind me to steer clear of you because I can think of better ways to spend my money in town."

Singing a different tune now, just sayin :-?

No I am not singing a different tune now. I am saying that it's just not on my list of things to do when i get to town!! The above post even says that already!! Read the words better before you post.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 12:11
No I am not singing a different tune now. I am saying that it's just not on my list of things to do when i get to town!! The above post even says that already!! Read the words better before you post.
You go from, "If you drink stay away from me" to "ill have a beer with ya"

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:11
Well some people are better at hiding it than others. I know that there are some hikers that hiked during that same time that were notorious for getting hammered in town.

Okay, so just asking: Did you try to avoid or hope you didn't run into these hikers that were notorious for getting hammered in town stops?

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 12:15
How big a problem is this, really? I hike a lot, on a lot of well-traveled trails. Lots of people. Very rarely do I run into someone yakking rudely on the cell phone. Not never, but very rarely, maybe once or twice every 20 hours of hiking, probably less. Now it's true that I don't camp out a lot and have never overnighted at a shelter, more of a day hiker. Might be more of an issue at campsites.

But what I'm reading of the OP is someone who is anxious around other people generally, one who can't tolerate much intrusion of any sort from others. If he comes across anyone on a cell phone, it puts him on edge. Seems a bit extreme, imo. Sounds like he gets out on trail to get away from people altogether. Which is fine. But you can understand, HM, where others who are less socially anxious might have a problem with his purport to dictate to fellow hikers how to go about their hike so that it meets his many detailed specs. That's how he comes across, at least. Maybe he's just overstating his position, dunno.

No one enjoys the abuses of severe alcoholics, of themselves, of the trail (or the world around them, generally), of others. It's self-evident. Sounds like loud, brash partying has grown out on trail with its increased popularity. Expressing disapproval of that makes sense, but others have a point that aside from calling law enforcement where appropriate, the best one can do is to steer clear of the offenders, maybe express appropriate concern to them if one is friendly to them. I'm a minimal drinker at most, but I'm not going to draw some hard and fast line against others who enjoy a drink or two. Will join them in one from time to time myself, in fact.

Hey Driver8- you made some excellant points in your post. I think a lot gets lost in this way of communicating. I think DS is coming across as overstating his position and feelings. But here's the deal, When that happens tho- all hell breaks loose on forums like these & there's no way to gain back control of your true intentions for your post & your true feelings. It's all about stating things in the perfectly correct manner and even then someone won't understand what you are saying...... this would be the down side to interacting this way. Who knew?

Kingbee
09-03-2012, 12:15
No alcohol? It's a great diet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3deQmyRHw

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 12:18
#1 reason they were out of money was they drank it away by the time Trail Days came along!!?? HOLY CRAP!! that's only 400 miles into the hike. If what you say is true, would you want to hike with someone that did that? I'm sorry but I wouldn't.
no, i would just keep hiking

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 12:22
Okay, so just asking: Did you try to avoid or hope you didn't run into these hikers that were notorious for getting hammered in town stops?
Buddy, I am one of those hikers. I didnt go and get housed every town stop but, yes, I like to drink beer. I like to drink beer after a long hike. Sometimes, I drink too much beer, so what....Im a nice guy and you shouldnt avoid hanging out with me because of that. If you dont want to partake, then don't. Doesnt mean we cant have a laugh or two.
Ill just say this, I met some awesome people and we went out drinking some of the time we were in town. We never were on our way into town saying "lets go get s***faced" Sometimes, you are having a great time, enjoy stories, having some laughs and you have a couple of drinks too many. We never had any issues with someone saying, "I dont like you guys cuz you have had too much to drink" Even the people that didnt drink much off the trail, tended to let loose a little. At campsites, we tried to stay away from shelters because we wanted to respect those trying to sleep. I carried whiskey with me pretty regularly. Its nice to have to share with other hikers around a campfire after a long day. We carried beer out of town sometimes. So what? Aint hurtin no one or messin up someone's "wilderness experience"
Yes there were people that we didnt hike with that would get drunker than hell and start problems. The other hikers around would always step up and calm any situations, esp at hostels. There are a ton of people that hike the AT now and thats something you have to deal with. If you dont want to deal with it, go hike another trail.

I found more people ran out of money from spending it on pot, just saying

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:22

Okay, I'll be clear about the cell phones: If I get to a shelter like Lion King did, and there is one, maybe 2 people there and they are both on cell phones--not a big deal. But if they are on cell phones for an extended period of time so i can't even converse with them, or ask where the water is, or just enjoy some quiet time, then for me it has become an annoyance and an intrusion. Now id i came upon a shelter that had 3 or more people in it and they are all on cell phones, that would not make ME happy. But I'd deal with it the best way I can. And I wouldn't go sleep in the woods just b/c I didn't like it. To me that is like someone smoking in the shelter: they are forcing that choice on me to sleep somewhere else b/c they can't stop smoking long enough to create some clear breathable air.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 12:26
Okay, I'll be clear about the cell phones: If I get to a shelter like Lion King did, and there is one, maybe 2 people there and they are both on cell phones--not a big deal. But if they are on cell phones for an extended period of time so i can't even converse with them, or ask where the water is, or just enjoy some quiet time, then for me it has become an annoyance and an intrusion. Now id i came upon a shelter that had 3 or more people in it and they are all on cell phones, that would not make ME happy. But I'd deal with it the best way I can. And I wouldn't go sleep in the woods just b/c I didn't like it. To me that is like someone smoking in the shelter: they are forcing that choice on me to sleep somewhere else b/c they can't stop smoking long enough to create some clear breathable air.

Someone wrote on the sign at Ethan Pond- "If you are going to smoke, please do so inside the shelter" HAHAHAAHA

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:30
Buddy, I am one of those hikers. I didnt go and get housed every town stop but, yes, I like to drink beer. I like to drink beer after a long hike. Sometimes, I drink too much beer, so what....Im a nice guy and you shouldnt avoid hanging out with me because of that. If you dont want to partake, then don't. Doesnt mean we cant have a laugh or two.
Ill just say this, I met some awesome people and we went out drinking some of the time we were in town. We never were on our way into town saying "lets go get s***faced" Sometimes, you are having a great time, enjoy stories, having some laughs and you have a couple of drinks too many. We never had any issues with someone saying, "I dont like you guys cuz you have had too much to drink" Even the people that didnt drink much off the trail, tended to let loose a little. At campsites, we tried to stay away from shelters because we wanted to respect those trying to sleep. I carried whiskey with me pretty regularly. Its nice to have to share with other hikers around a campfire after a long day. We carried beer out of town sometimes. So what? Aint hurtin no one or messin up someone's "wilderness experience"
Yes there were people that we didnt hike with that would get drunker than hell and start problems. The other hikers around would always step up and calm any situations, esp at hostels. There are a ton of people that hike the AT now and thats something you have to deal with. If you dont want to deal with it, go hike another trail.

I found more people ran out of money from spending it on pot, just saying

Guess, the way things have changed I am gonna have to deal with it. Just seems it wasn't an issue when I did the trail in 92. Yes, I know that's 20 years ago, but it's freaking me out how much the trail crowd has changed and I've already experienced some of it. Maybe, just maybe, I am worrying about nothing and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Train Wreck
09-03-2012, 12:40
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Cookerhiker http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1332954#post1332954)

[/COLOR]]

:confused: The OP never said he only hiked so he could gorge on burgers and beer in every town. Are you saying that anyone who looks forward to town stops doesn't "get" or properly appreciate the joys of the trail? I love the trail as much as anyone, but after a few days, who doesn't have a renewed appreciation for things taken for granted in the "real" world, the small things like a cold soda, hot shower, etc. that you don't have access to on the trail. That doesn't make me any less of a committed, trail-loving hiker. There are days when you're just physically/mentally tired, sick of eating trail food, or just need a break, and maybe the thought of a burger and fries, or a hot shower, or a cold beer, ice cream, whatever, might be the only "carrot" that can keep your spirits up and keep you hiking. Nothing wrong with enjoying the anticipation of an upcoming treat.

Sly
09-03-2012, 12:42

What is wrong with that?

OK, thanks for the warning.

Regardless if I get drunk, in town, on trail, or smoke, or not, at least you've made it perfectly clear, regardless of your other habits, YOU'RE the type I don't want to hike with. (you sound too boring and too judgmental).

Drybones
09-03-2012, 12:47

Your wrong LW...it's wine...first thing Noah did when the water went down was plant a vineyard. Kinda interesting that the first miracle Jesus did was converting somewhere between 20-40 gallons of water into wine...good stuff to...didn't even need a SILWF. He was okay with a little partying so I guess it can't be all bad.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 12:48
Guess, the way things have changed I am gonna have to deal with it. Just seems it wasn't an issue when I did the trail in 92. Yes, I know that's 20 years ago, but it's freaking me out how much the trail crowd has changed and I've already experienced some of it. Maybe, just maybe, I am worrying about nothing and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

See thats the approach you and more people should take. Just go with it. Its not a problem unless you make it one. Some people are a**holes on the trail and abuse stuff. Its just the way it is, but, I think there are enough of the "good people" out there on the trail that will step it up if someone starts being that way. I heard some stories this year that would make you cringe. There was a drunk a**hole at Partnership shelter this year that pissed on the roof of the shelter. Well there were holes in the roof and piss went down on hikers in the shelter. Those are the people you worry about and then the issue of staying in a shelter. When we ran into these issues, we hiked fast and hard and set ourselves apart. We read shelter logs to see when people would pass through. Just use you head and if someone is being a jerk, walk on. This is one of the many reasons we avoid shelters at all cost.By the time people get up here, they have mellowed out considerably and the drinking thing becomes less of an issue. My point is this. Alcohol is just something that is common place on the AT, esp in the south. I have seen some crazy s*** go down on the trail that I dont wish upon anyone. Times are changing and the sooner you get that, the happier you will be.If not, go find another trail to hike. Enjoy your hike DS

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 12:48
Amazing, the number of people that have supported the drinkers, smokers and cell users. Wow!! man, the trail world for the AT has changed.

Sly
09-03-2012, 12:49

Not all trails have blazes.

Since the AT has blazes every 30' feet, should hikers also NOT carry maps? What if you're into **** that's not directly on the corridor?

I'm not sure if I hike to get away from technology. I just like being in the woods. If I think about it, having technology and being in the woods is a win/win.

I will agree with you on one thing, rude people suck. It doesn't if they're drunk or stone cold sober.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 12:50
I just wanna be clear about this: I wasn't telling anyone that they shouldn't drink as little or as much as they want to. I was stating that if becomes common knowledge from you, others or more own experience that you will drink alot don't ask me to join you.

My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If you present an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, you will get responses. Not always the responses, but that is just the way it is. If you don't want responses, then don't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because you want them to change. They have to want to change. If you don't like a particular thing someone is doing, then don't hike with them. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Just be upfront with them about what you are looking for in a hiking partner.

Maddog
09-03-2012, 12:50
Amazing, the number of people that have supported the drinkers, smokers and cell users. Wow!! man, the trail world for the AT has changed.

The world has changed, my man...and you haven't. Hyoh!:) Maddog:D

Rasty
09-03-2012, 12:55

Socks - I think others are live and let live people. If complete solitude from others is your goal then maybe the AT is the wrong trail for you. The number of Americans heavily drinking from now versus 1992 is almost unchanged. In the 50's to 70's the consumption was much higher.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 12:57

But, if they are spending that much time drinking, then they aren't hiking. Perfect time to get out and hit the trail!

Just a thought, but... If someone chooses to spend their hike drinking.... Shouldn't that be their choice to make? Everyone hits the trail for different reasons. Their hike doesn't have to be your hike. Just like your hike doesn't have to be their hike.

Sly
09-03-2012, 12:58
There's no reason to carry a digital SLR with multiple lenses, when a simple point 'n shoot will do. Actually, one should savor the moment and not bring a camera at all. :p

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 12:58
My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If you present an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, you will get responses. Not always the responses, but that is just the way it is. If you don't want responses, then don't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because you want them to change. They have to want to change. If you don't like a particular thing someone is doing, then don't hike with them. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Just be upfront with them about what you are looking for in a hiking partner.

Supposed to read "not always the responses you want..."

Drybones
09-03-2012, 13:01
I never was bothered by cell phones but a hiker in a shelter one night was dreaming he was on a phone call. Was kinda funny at first but it lasted a bit too long.

Train Wreck
09-03-2012, 13:30
There's no reason to carry a digital SLR with multiple lenses, when a simple point 'n shoot will do. Actually, one should savor the moment and not bring a camera at all. :p

Yeah, but that mental camera gets a little unfocused after a night of pounding beers and making drunken cell phone calls.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 13:32
Yeah, but that mental camera gets a little unfocused after a night of pounding beers and making drunken cell phone calls.

Drunk dialing is never a good thing! :)

rickb
09-03-2012, 13:34
AGAIN I WILL SAY IT!! In 1992, years before and after, very few of the people that I met(there were several hundred) did not do pot, carry drugs, or drink excessively in trail.

It is interesting to ponder how the cultural norms along the Trial change over time.

Especially when they are not in perfect sync with the wider community. I mean, people certainly drank and partied as much in college and thier homes back in 1992 as they do now, right?

For all the talk about hiking one's own hike, most of us adapt to what's going on around us-- to a greater or lesser degree.

If different Socks is right (and I am not sure he is or is not) about a shift towards more heavy drinking on the AT, its a topic as worthy of discussion as others on whiteblaze.

But as we are cranking up the wayback machine, I'd like to recall where I was 29 years ago today. Some small town in CT was putting on a Labor Day party (Edward R Morrow Park?) and the guy's working the Genesee Beer truck saw it as there responsiblity to dispense more than a little trail magic. Beer dfinitely had its place that day.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 13:38

Wasn't looking for a fight or ranting. Just saying how I feel about it, but also looking to find out if others that have hiked the AT recently have seen a different view. Looks like too many wanted to simply attack my OP.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 13:42
Wasn't looking for a fight or ranting. Just saying how I feel about it, but also looking to find out if others that have hiked the AT recently have seen a different view. Looks like too many wanted to simply attack my OP.

Dont be so sensitive...I've had my butt kicked here to.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 13:44

Despite carrying a cell phone for the reasons I stated earlier, I will carry a simple pocket digital camera for pictures. Why carry both? Because I have yet to see a cell phone that has the features of a camera that I can change the settings(aperture/shutter speed) as to take better pictures. Am I wrong?

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 13:53

But one post builds on another post and another post... That is just the way it is on WB. On the internet, ANYONE can read what they want into something someone says. A person cannot read the poster's body language, facial expressions, or hear the tone with which the thought is being expressed. Just like you took my postings and thought they were completely directed at you. I was using "you" as a a reference to "anyone." Given that, I will change the language of my post to read as follows:

My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you (Different Socks) have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If a person presents an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, they will get responses. Not always the responses they want, but that is just the way it is. If a person does not want people to respond, then they shouldn't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because someone wants them to change. The other person has to want to change their behavior. If someone doesn't like a particular thing someone else is doing, then don't hike with that person. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Everyone should be upfront with others about what they are looking for in a hiking partner.

** It seems you are getting other views.

** You (Different Socks) can take my statement "I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it." however you want. It was an observation. It was a continuation of the thought not everyone will agree with what is said on a thread.

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 14:47
Yes and Yes!! I will also add- The person that says you are being judgemental towards someone else is the very person that is unfairly judging you. People also take opinions or feelings that are expressed & put their own spin on it, any way they want 2. There's no stopping that train. Not many are really interested in finding out how you really feel or think and/or try to be helpful. It's more fun just to spout off and throw people under the bus.:eek: Of course, there are people on here that are really helpful & aren't judgemental at all or looking for a fight. It's great!!

My daughter hiked the trail in 2008 and 2010. She mostly stayed in shelters. She just told me that she was never bothered or annoyed by anyone drinking excessively. She section hikes but she was out there for about 3 months at a time. It's great to think about these things ahead of time so that you can think about how you would respond if it did become a problem for you. There's many ways to deal with it. I really wish that your OP could have resulted in helpful advise to you, with your concern, and not been judgemental or hurtful to you at all.

Thirsty DPD
09-03-2012, 14:54
But one post builds on another post and another post... That is just the way it is on WB. On the internet, ANYONE can read what they want into something someone says. A person cannot read the poster's body language, facial expressions, or hear the tone with which the thought is being expressed. Just like you took my postings and thought they were completely directed at you. I was using "you" as a a reference to "anyone." Given that, I will change the language of my post to read as follows:

My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you (Different Socks) have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If a person presents an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, they will get responses. Not always the responses they want, but that is just the way it is. If a person does not want people to respond, then they shouldn't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because someone wants them to change. The other person has to want to change their behavior. If someone doesn't like a particular thing someone else is doing, then don't hike with that person. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Everyone should be upfront with others about what they are looking for in a hiking partner.

** You (Different Socks) can take my statement "I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it." however you want. It was an observation. It was a continuation of the thought not everyone will agree with what is said on a thread.

Good stuff........

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 14:55
Yes and Yes!! I will also add- The person that says you are being judgemental towards someone else is the very person that is unfairly judging you. People also take opinions or feelings that are expressed & put their own spin on it, any way they want 2. There's no stopping that train. Not many are really interested in finding out how you really feel or think and/or try to be helpful. It's more fun just to spout off and throw people under the bus.:eek: Of course, there are people on here that are really helpful & aren't judgemental at all or looking for a fight. It's great!!

My daughter hiked the trail in 2008 and 2010. She mostly stayed in shelters. She just told me that she was never bothered or annoyed by anyone drinking excessively. She section hikes but she was out there for about 3 months at a time. It's great to think about these things ahead of time so that you can think about how you would respond if it did become a problem for you. There's many ways to deal with it. I really wish that your OP could have resulted in helpful advise to you, with your concern, and not been judgemental or hurtful to you at all.

I think it has been helpful to him. Who is your daughter? I hiked in 2008

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 15:14
Ummm..... she was Strange Habit. She hiked with Lady Cluck, Butters... I'm trying to think of the other names. She met Peanut and Wrong Way.... she started in Daleville and hiked North but then skipped around. That would be cool if you knew her. :) I see you are located in NH... that's my birth state and lived there until I was 18.... Love NH!!!

kayak karl
09-03-2012, 15:52
I really wish that your OP could have resulted in helpful advise to you, with your concern, and not been judgemental or hurtful to you at all.
ADVISE! did you see a question in the first post? it was just a warning to all hikers. if we do not fit into HIS guidelines, he will not hike with use. the rules are a little gray, he drinks, but not that much. so, you need to drink like him, but first discuss how you use your phone.
this is not judging people? of course it is :) we all make judgement calls on people on the trail. sometimes its just a gut feeling. other times it may just be the guitar on their pack. other posters have told him to lighten up, learn to accept and HYOH, but he defends his position. maybe he needs some Amish hiking partners. :)

Train Wreck
09-03-2012, 15:56
maybe he needs some Amish hiking partners. :)

Their shuttles take too long.

Driver8
09-03-2012, 15:57
Despite carrying a cell phone for the reasons I stated earlier, I will carry a simple pocket digital camera for pictures. Why carry both? Because I have yet to see a cell phone that has the features of a camera that I can change the settings(aperture/shutter speed) as to take better pictures. Am I wrong?

Why does someone have to be wrong and another right on this? That's what's got me and, it appears, several others so averse to your attitude. Why do you care what someone else chooses as a photographic instrument as between a smart phone and a camera, whether a pocket number or a fancy professional DSLR with all the bells and whistles? Isn't it their business? Can't you just respect that and move on? Why the need to brand someone wrong and someone else right? And why the compulsion to control what other people do with their stuff? Yikes.

No one wants obnoxious chattering on the cell phone by others in camp or at some rest stop on trail. And no one wants a raucous beer blast there, either, while trying to get sleep or peace and quiet. Some people violate that common courtesy. It's no fun to deal with. But very few join you in this compulsion to micromanage other people's hikes.

MrMiner2
09-03-2012, 15:57
You sound like someone I'd like to avoid.

With your holier/headier than thou attitude

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 16:08
Who in the $&@$ would want to hike with you anyway? You have your own Rule Book as to how everyone "worthy" enough to hike with you should behave. I wouldn't come near you. You ain't that special except in your own mind.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 16:16

Pretty good TW...you do have to admire them though for living out what they believe.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 16:23
And so many of you think I am narrow minded! I thought being on WB, you could say what you wanted w/o be chastised for it?
Why am I being considered to be such a terrible person b/c I don't wish to be around cell users or smokers or heavy drinkers? There are plenty of people like me. I am really beginning to think that most of the people that have responded so far are just wanting to post in a negative way.
I don't like to have smokers in a shelter--your answer? go somewhere else to sleep.
I don't like to be there when people are drinking too much--your answers? Don't drink, don't go to that place, or sleep somewhere else.
I don't wish to be around people that use their cells like they are addicted to them--your answers? same as the above.
Why do I have to change my behavior to accommodate them?

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:24

Only if you are a NOBO and have to get to Katahdin before the mountain closes...

coach lou
09-03-2012, 16:30

The Mennonites in Pa. suup up their wagons.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:35
The Mennonites in Pa. suup up their wagons.

I will ride with them, but only if they have orange flame decals on the sides of their buggies... Since they won't have radios, then the driver also needs to be able to hum/sing something catchy on the ride.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 16:38
And so many of you think I am narrow minded! I thought being on WB, you could say what you wanted w/o be chastised for it?

Your half right...you may say what you want...but it's fair game for others to offer up thier opinions also.

Why am I being considered to be such a terrible person b/c I don't wish to be around cell users or smokers or heavy drinkers? There are plenty of people like me. I am really beginning to think that most of the people that have responded so far are just wanting to post in a negative way.
I don't like to have smokers in a shelter--your answer? go somewhere else to sleep.
I don't like to be there when people are drinking too much--your answers? Don't drink, don't go to that place, or sleep somewhere else.
I don't wish to be around people that use their cells like they are addicted to them--your answers? same as the above.

I'm sure those you are referring to also want to know why they should have to change thier behavior for you? I have a revelation for you...the world does not revolve around you, me or anyone else...we may as well learn to deal with it. I believe that's the point most of the old goats on this site are trying to make.

kayak karl
09-03-2012, 16:42
old goats on this site
i resemble that remark:rolleyes:

Maddog
09-03-2012, 16:42
Who in the $&@$ would want to hike with you anyway? You have your own Rule Book as to how everyone "worthy" enough to hike with you should behave. I wouldn't come near you. You ain't that special except in your own mind.

Amen brother! +1!!! Maddog:D

Rasty
09-03-2012, 16:44
I'm sure those you are referring to also want to know why they should have to change thier behavior for you? I have a revelation for you...the world does not revolve around you, me or anyone else...we may as well learn to deal with it. I believe that's the point most of the old goats on this site are trying to make.

Are young goats included? or middle goats?:)

Pedaling Fool
09-03-2012, 16:44
I hear ya buddy. Everytime I talk about global warming I get chastised. No love here on WB...;)

Maddog
09-03-2012, 16:45
http://richbauer.net/images/Old%20goat.jpg

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:48

Being an adult means a person needs to know how to be able to compromise and deal with things. Rather than going up to someone and saying, "Don't do this..." there might be better approaches to the situation. Most people are willing to listen when somene politely asks them not to do something. Sometimes, things don't spiral into a battle if the situation is approached in a calm, reasonable manner.

coach lou
09-03-2012, 16:48
I hear ya buddy. Everytime I talk about global warming I get chastised. No love here on WB...;)

Hey, don't feel like the lone ranger.....I got deleted twice and PMed over.......GW

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:49

Well, a patch that said "Kid Patrol" would be downright creepy! :eek:

Drybones

Naaaaaaaaaaaa...only goats old enough to pee on thier whiskers...henseforth the saying...you smell like an old goat...or hiker.

Rasty

I agree with you!

coach lou
09-03-2012, 16:50

Oh man....I gotta' have me one of these!

Rasty
Naaaaaaaaaaaa...only goats old enough to pee on thier whiskers...henseforth the saying...you smell like an old goat...or hiker.

That doesn't include me. I can go a week without shaving!

canoe

Sounds like some good advice. The fact of the matter is NOBODY is like you and you can make other conform to your standards. If you dont like whats going on move on

Drybones
09-03-2012, 16:51

Love it...need one of those on my pack.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 16:55

You mention global warming and these folks will make you feel lower than snake poop in a wagon track.

Hairbear
09-03-2012, 16:55
So I am being judgmental b/c I wish to not hike with people that all they want to do is drink when they get to town?hike your own hike!! no....no...no.not like that ..like this.oh hell watch ill show you again..

coach lou
09-03-2012, 16:56

Could this be from the........sssshhhh......Boy scouts?

Hairbear
09-03-2012, 17:06
Guess, the way things have changed I am gonna have to deal with it. Just seems it wasn't an issue when I did the trail in 92. Yes, I know that's 20 years ago, but it's freaking me out how much the trail crowd has changed and I've already experienced some of it. Maybe, just maybe, I am worrying about nothing and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. perhaps its your view point that has changed after all its been 20 years,you know kind of like going back to your high school after 20 years the rooms look so small.

kevwhaaaaaaaat
09-03-2012, 17:44

You can't control the actions of others. Your only options are to learn to tolerate it or find a way to avoid/ignore it.

Welcome to planet Earth.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 17:54
ADVISE! did you see a question in the first post? it was just a warning to all hikers. if we do not fit into HIS guidelines, he will not hike with use. the rules are a little gray, he drinks, but not that much. so, you need to drink like him, but first discuss how you use your phone.
this is not judging people? of course it is :) we all make judgement calls on people on the trail. sometimes its just a gut feeling. other times it may just be the guitar on their pack. other posters have told him to lighten up, learn to accept and HYOH, but he defends his position. maybe he needs some Amish hiking partners. :)

I never said you need to drink like me, or use a cell phone like me in order to hike with me. What I said was that I would not hike with people like that. Just b/c I would prefer to see a certain type of characteristics in a person to allow for a more amiable time with them does not mean I want to change them. Isn't that how we all figure out whether we wish to be friends with others?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 18:06
Sounds like some good advice. The fact of the matter is NOBODY is like you and you can make other conform to your standards. If you dont like whats going on move on

Again another person who thinks I am trying to make others conform to my standards!!!! Why are so many of you stating these things I never said?? Seriously, what is wrong with me stating that I don't wish to hike with partiers, heavy drinkers, people that constantly just dump their trash on the trail, others that smoke in shelters, people that incessantly use their cell phones or check them every time they stop at a shelter, a view point, take a rest break, stop for a dump? If that is my choice, that is my HYOH!! And I know that doing the AT I will meet people like this, perhaps every day, but I will try to avoid them. Again, that does not make me a bad or judgmental person. I was like everyone else on the AT in 92 when the guy was carrying the gun in his pack. We were all glad to meet him, he was a great guy. But sooner or later, 90% of the people that he met tried to get as far away from hm as possible simply b/c he had the weapon. Does that make all those people judgmental?

kayak karl
09-03-2012, 18:11
yes, it is how i figure out whether i wish to be friends with others. i just don't have my own thread on it ;)

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 18:19
What kind of dweeb comes onto a social network and "announces" on his own private thread what he will and won't tolerate from those he deems worthy enough to hike with? Keep it to yourself, man. We don't care who you hike with as long as it isn't us!

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 18:21
CORRECTION: HikerMom will probably hike with ya. :D

max patch
09-03-2012, 18:22
Does that make all those people judgmental?

Of course it does.

And I would make the same judgement and take the same action as you did.

TD55
09-03-2012, 18:28
What kind of dweeb comes onto a social network and "announces" on his own private thread what he will and won't tolerate from those he deems worthy enough to hike with? Keep it to yourself, man. We don't care who you hike with as long as it isn't us!

Who is the "We" you speak for? What this post shows is that over drinkers, drunkards, alcoholics, etc, can be as rude, beligerent and annoying in print as they are in person.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 18:30
DS sure is takin' a beatin'. i agree with him mostly though

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 18:36
This is an internet forum...a place for people to express their thoughts and opinions. OP started a thread expressing their opinion. Others now chime in and do the same. WB has never struck me as a place where someone posts a thread stating their likes and dislikes, then finds a hiking partner to match. This is not HikerMatch.com. This is WB. This is the place where HYOH is an answer that comes up time, and time again. WB is also the place where if people feel like they are being told how to hike their hike, they will come back with responses the poster doesn't like.

Different Socks - I have a question for you. This is the internet, so why does it matter what the rest of us think? Why are you worried about a bunch of people being "judgemental" at their keyboards? If you want a hiking buddy, the best way to go about it is to hit the trail. That is the best place to find someone who hikes at your pace, has similar habits, etc. You can't form an honest opinion of someone's "hike" until you are on the trail with them.

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 18:40
Who is the "We" you speak for? What this post shows is that over drinkers, drunkards, alcoholics, etc, can be as rude, beligerent and annoying in print as they are in person.

The collective "we" who have already spoken out. FYI - I seldom drink at all and when I do, it's in moderation. But darn. Got that old cell phone. Point is, think each of us should have our own threads going on who we will tolerate hiking with - like this moron? Better yet, let's publish an ATC Directory with a list! Got a cell phone? Got a dog? Got booze? Smoke? Got a gun? Religious? Got weed?

Hike with who you dam well feel like hiking with - but get over yourself and stop publishing the creditials required.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 18:51
I thought this thread might generate some attention when I first saw it...only thing more sacred than a man's booze is his bird dog. If you really want to get a guy upset start talking bad about his dog.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 18:56
I thought this thread might generate some attention when I first saw it...only thing more sacred than a man's booze is his bird dog. If you really want to get a guy upset start talking bad about his dog.

Or talking about taking away the booze from the bird dog...

MrMiner2
09-03-2012, 18:56
Different socks likes bous

TD55
09-03-2012, 18:57
I took the OP to be about an often talked about issue, specificly the over use of alcohol and the party atmosphere which has grown on the AT. DS, a hiker with plenty of cred's was sharing his frustration with this issue and atmosphere and expressed his thoughts. The usual crowd has just decided that he would be the target of bullying. To bad. It's a serious topic. Thanks for bringing it up DS.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 19:01

Ruger never drinks on the trail...he does love those trail towns tho...and he's always a gentledoberman.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 19:01
keep in mind that many people thru hike to get away from the immediacy of their problems in the 10th game perspective. some of those problems include substance abuse. alcoholics are not lepers. maybe walk a mile in someone else's shoes and if someone wants to get hammered once in awhile it's okay. by the way I've been sober for over 12 years

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 19:04
Ruger never drinks on the trail...he does love those trail towns tho...and he's always a gentledoberman.

Nice! Jolly tries to sneak beer away from people. When she gets busted, she just gives the big brown eyes, then a big doggy smile, and wags her tail. I think she would drink on the trail if I would let her. Holly likes beer every now and then, but doesn't like it as much as her sis.

Both are super friendly - Even if you take their beer away.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 19:44
I took the OP to be about an often talked about issue, specificly the over use of alcohol and the party atmosphere which has grown on the AT. DS, a hiker with plenty of cred's was sharing his frustration with this issue and atmosphere and expressed his thoughts. The usual crowd has just decided that he would be the target of bullying. To bad. It's a serious topic. Thanks for bringing it up DS.

A good response and your welcome. Too bad you're right about the bullying. It's amazing how few of the people that have posted so far had said things positive.

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 19:46
keep in mind that many people thru hike to get away from the immediacy of their problems in the 10th game perspective. some of those problems include substance abuse. alcoholics are not lepers. maybe walk a mile in someone else's shoes and if someone wants to get hammered once in awhile it's okay. by the way I've been sober for over 12 years

So perhaps, just maybe, possibly the posts I saw in other topics from those that say they go get hammered when they get to town were actually just bragging. If that's true, there were sure alot of braggers.

John B
09-03-2012, 19:48

Agree 100%.

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 19:52
Agree 100%.

I think that was his intention...I can see how others could see it another way but I don't agree with their response if they did see it that way.

TD55
09-03-2012, 19:54
It's usually the same handfull of cyber bullys here and it's usually a group thing. You would hope they would have been shamed into cooling it after Suspect Hiker but these folks got not shame.

Del Q
09-03-2012, 19:54
The World is rather "screwed up" these days............not surprising to me that some are taking a path of least resistance.

Freedom of Speech .................. when you meet someone new no telling what their REAL opinions are. Most times you never know. Especially on the AT - most of my interactions are rather brief.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 19:58

Wait until I have a few drinks and I will respond to this.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 20:07
people who look for trouble find it. you guys are making a huge issue at the non issue. you don't want to hike with drunks don't hike with drunks. you don't want to hang out where there irs tobacco or other substances then don't hang out there. why is this so freakin complicated? and why the need to make such a formal pronouncement.

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 20:08
Wait until I have a few drinks and I will respond to this.

Pour me a shot too! :cool:

Drybones
09-03-2012, 20:12
DS sure is takin' a beatin'. i agree with him mostly though

Yeah...me too to some extent...but I dont believe drinking is really the issue being hit upon.

WIAPilot
09-03-2012, 20:17
Yeah...me too to some extent...but I dont believe drinking is really the issue being hit upon.

The issue is INTOLERENCE. HYOH = but if you do, don't count on hiking with DS.

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 20:46
people who look for trouble find it. you guys are making a huge issue at the non issue. you don't want to hike with drunks don't hike with drunks. you don't want to hang out where there irs tobacco or other substances then don't hang out there. why is this so freakin complicated? and why the need to make such a formal pronouncement.

Congrats on your 12 years... that's great!! :)

I agree - if you look for trouble you will find it. That's where I feel we "dropped the ball" here for DS. People started judging him unfairly causing him to be on the defensive right away. If we could have "talked" to him in a understanding manner- we would have been able to share some really helpful things with him. I really believe he would have been open to our thoughts. He would have felt like we "heard" him. Then, once a person feels understood- the sky is the limit on what kind of real help others can be on a site like this....I'm just sayin. Also, DS could, I'm sure, be a big help to others on this site, in other matters.

It wouldn't be so complicated. But, when good communication breaks down, this is the result. So we all ask... how's that working for us? I say it's not....

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 21:13
everyone in life has to find their own path. they have to hike their own hike.. whatever they do it's their choice to make that's freedom we need to stop judging others. there's only 1 judge is far as I'm concerned. and it's all between me and him

HikerMom58
09-03-2012, 21:16
everyone in life has to find their own path. they have to hike their own hike.. whatever they do it's their choice to make that's freedom we need to stop judging others. there's only 1 judge is far as I'm concerned. and it's all between me and him

I love it HB... every word you just said is Truth....

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 21:33

Is that at all? Gee thanks! I'm alot more tolerant than you think. But I don't want to have to ask someone to not smoke just so I can breathe. Breathing is not an option, smoking is. Being forced to go into the woods to tent or choose another shelter is again a forced option on me if I end up at a shelter with people drinking. Drinking for them is a voluntary action and option.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 21:36
how often have you personally found this to be in issue? and I'm not talking about 1992.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 21:43
I'm waiting...

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 21:44
Oh and don't forget that talking on a cell phone gasp! is voluntary as well, Socks. Hike with whomever you want but it gets kinda old here having you post about all the groups you won't hike with.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 21:46
still waiting..........

TD55
09-03-2012, 22:02
What gets old is badgering and the way you guys hijack threads and HikerMom talking down to people like she is the expert on everything. What gets old is you guys turning threads into cyber cafe garbadge. Just look at the last few post. Who do you think you are fooling? You people are so disrespectful it's disgusting. You represent the rude and the entitled that everyone complains about. You say hike your own hike and the next time some hiker disagrees with you, you attack them. Fake people. Frauds.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 22:05
What gets old is badgering and the way you guys hijack threads and HikerMom talking down to people like she is the expert on everything. What gets old is you guys turning threads into cyber cafe garbadge. Just look at the last few post. Who do you think you are fooling? You people are so disrespectful it's disgusting. You represent the rude and the entitled that everyone complains about. You say hike your own hike and the next time some hiker disagrees with you, you attack them. Fake people. Frauds.
you're right. they talk trash then go over to that cyberhiker cafe BS thread and fawn all over each other. "we showed him/them!"

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 22:06
Not a single 1 of my posts attack anybody. Some people just take themselves a bit too seriously. That's about all the attack I can offer

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:09
Please explain where my posts attacked.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 22:14
I asked different socks A few questions that I never got an answer to? How often he experiences these problems And why he had to announce it so forcefully. There's plenty of trails to hike And plenty of ways to avoid rude or drunken behavior. I wouldn't call that an attack. And I'm not trying to be funny. Just trying to figure out why you guys are making such an issue of it

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 22:15
you're right. they talk trash then go over to that cyberhiker cafe BS thread and fawn all over each other. "we showed him/them!"

Don't think I have even been in the cafe more than once or twice. Big difference in talking trash and standing up against some pompous hiker who wants to tell us all what he will or won't tolerate. Who cares? Don't hike with these people! Surprised that you're standing up for someone who is trying to put down anyone who doesn't agree with his Hiker's Code. I'm sure he would find something wrong with you too.

TD55
09-03-2012, 22:18
You people turn threads into chat rooms and fill them with nonsense. Many of our members with the best knowledge and experiance are staying away because it has just become to frustrating to deal with the immature crap you fill the threads with. Folks come here to learn and get advice about hiking the AT. You folks are making that very difficult. People have to wade through all the opinions and non related crap.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 22:21
You couldn't be more wrong this is not a serious thread. If you actually read my posts I respond when I can be helpful The cafe was designed to keep the nuts in the nut house. I can't control it when a few of them get loose now and then. Or you could just put me on ignore.

coach lou
09-03-2012, 22:22
It's just walking

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 22:23
This thread paint a picture of a trail that does not exist. And what's with the you people? It aint us and them pal it's all us Even you people.

Supreme Being
09-03-2012, 22:28
You people turn threads into chat rooms and fill them with nonsense. Many of our members with the best knowledge and experiance are staying away because it has just become to frustrating to deal with the immature crap you fill the threads with. Folks come here to learn and get advice about hiking the AT. You folks are making that very difficult. People have to wade through all the opinions and non related crap.

You're kidding, right? Do you really think a thread that basically says, "Ooh. They have a cell phone! I'm not hiking with them!" The next week it is, "Ooh. They have too much to drink! I'm not hiking with them either!" do you really think these are mature threads filled with knowledge that we all need to know?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 22:28
I asked different socks A few questions that I never got an answer to? How often he experiences these problems And why he had to announce it so forcefully. There's plenty of trails to hike And plenty of ways to avoid rude or drunken behavior. I wouldn't call that an attack. And I'm not trying to be funny. Just trying to figure out why you guys are making such an issue of it

To answer your question about my encounters with alcohol: On my first thru hike it really wasn't an issue b/c either I was fortunate to be hiking in a group of non drinkers, or we simply didn't drink that much when we did decide to imbibe. Usually it was locals that brought beer/alcohol to the shelters, and nobody appreciated cleaning up after them.
When I hiked parts of the trail in VA a few years back, there was numerous enconuters with people that had been drinking and caused all kinds of problems such as littering, trashing their sleeping area, screwing up a golf cart, stealing other hikers money and equipment.
I would not want to be anywhere near the people that did this kind of drinking once in town and the behavior after effects. Would you? Too many times, myself and others were treated as "unworthy" b/c we declined to drink with them.
I made the OP b/c I've read too many posts on WB about hikers boasting and bragging about their alcohol related exploits while in town and I've heard or read about places that were closed b/c hikers drank it there or even just brought it on the premises. I wished to make a statement that I won't hang out or hike with these kinds of people.
I could tell you about several different kinds of people that we all tolerate on the trail but we'd rather not be anywhere near them as soon as possible.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:29
Here are the majority of my posts on this thread. Yes, I participated in thread drift. However, that was only AFTER the OP drifted on his own thread and it was already a free-for-all.

“Hike Your Own Hike and Live Your Own Life... Pretty easy and should be the same thing. If your hike doesn't include drinking, then don't hang out with those who choose to drink. I don't hang out with those who are drinking to get drunk. That is my choice - On and off the trail. If someone gets in my face with their drinking, I will deal with it as the situation arises. Have never met anyone who forced me to hang out with them so they could get drunk... I just walk away. I am not the drinking police.

Just my opinion.”

“My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If you present an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, you will get responses. Not always the responses you are looking for, but that is just the way it is. If you don't want responses, then don't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because you want them to change. They have to want to change. If you don't like a particular thing someone is doing, then don't hike with them. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Just be upfront with them about what you are looking for in a hiking partner.”

“But, if they are spending that much time drinking, then they aren't hiking. Perfect time to get out and hit the trail!

Just a thought, but... If someone chooses to spend their hike drinking.... Shouldn't that be their choice to make? Everyone hits the trail for different reasons. Their hike doesn't have to be your hike. Just like your hike doesn't have to be their hike.”

“But one post builds on another post and another post... That is just the way it is on WB. On the internet, ANYONE can read what they want into something someone says. A person cannot read the poster's body language, facial expressions, or hear the tone with which the thought is being expressed. Just like you took my postings and thought they were completely directed at you. I was using "you" as a a reference to "anyone." Given that, I will change the language of my post to read as follows:

** You (Different Socks) can take my statement "I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it." however you want. It was an observation. It was a continuation of the thought not everyone will agree with what is said on a thread.”

“Being an adult means a person needs to know how to be able to compromise and deal with things. Rather than going up to someone and saying, "Don't do this..." there might be better approaches to the situation. Most people are willing to listen when somoene politely asks them not to do something. Sometimes, things don't spiral into a battle if the situation is approached in a calm, reasonable manner.”

“This is an internet forum...a place for people to express their thoughts and opinions. OP started a thread expressing their opinion. Others now chime in and do the same. WB has never struck me as a place where someone posts a thread stating their likes and dislikes, then finds a hiking partner to match. This is not HikerMatch.com. This is WB. This is the place where HYOH is an answer that comes up time, and time again. WB is also the place where if people feel like they are being told how to hike their hike, they will come back with responses the poster doesn't like.

Different Socks - I have a question for you. This is the internet, so why does it matter what the rest of us think? Why are you worried about a bunch of people being "judgemental" at their keyboards? If you want a hiking buddy, the best way to go about it is to hit the trail. That is the best place to find someone who hikes at your pace, has similar habits, etc. You can't form an honest opinion of someone's "hike" until you are on the trail with them.”

*** I went through and clarified when Different Socks quoted my posts. I fail to see how anything posted here can be construed as an attack. Different Socks was looking for opinions (that is what he stated) and he got them. Yes, I told him to hit the trail. Wasn't said with any malice. I have just found that things sort themselves out on the trail. What seems to be an issue behind a computer monitor/screen, is rarely ever an issue on the trail. Additionally, selecting someone to hike with based on their internet claims can also be misleading. Best to just get out there and find someone to hike with. People with the same hiking speed will tend to keep meeting up, and then take it from there.

What is wrong with that way of thinking?

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 22:30
This thread paint a picture of a trail that does not exist. And what's with the you people? It aint us and them pal it's all us Even you people.

So all those people that posted here on WB about how much they drink while on a thru hike is all just words, not action?

Thirsty DPD

Agreed, but when pushed, pushed back, pushed ,pushed back.........so the start of a pee pee contest.

Chaco Taco
Wow water rat you have way too much time on your hands

Toli
09-03-2012, 22:31

​Lone Wolf, ur table for one is now unavailable in the cafe...

TD55
09-03-2012, 22:32

Whats with "you people", I pointed my finger directly at you and the few people suppurting you on this thread and I mentioned your cafe. Bullys don't bother me.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 22:33
​Lone Wolf, ur table for one is now unavailable in the cafe...

i'm not gay.

Toli
09-03-2012, 22:34

​She's Baaaack :welcome...

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:35
Whats with "you people", I pointed my finger directly at you and the few people suppurting you on this thread and I mentioned your cafe. Bullys don't bother me.

I think hikerboy does a fine job of supporting himself. He needs no support from me. I am backing myself... I can only speak for myself. Again, please explain where I did any bullying. If you are going to include me in the "you people" remark, I would like to know how I was bullying.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:36
i'm not gay.

And neither am I. I fail to see your point.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 22:37
Wow step away from the keyboard

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 22:38
Posted by WaterRat--Still, telling someone how they should hike their hike/live? Telling someone they can't go drink to get drunk (because that is not the way you hike/live)... That is on the same level as someone forcing their drunkenness on your hike. It goes both ways. If you don't want someone telling you how to hike your hike/live your life, then you have to respect they are hiking their own hike/living their own life.

I want to make it clear, NEVER in all the posts to this thread did I say people shouldn't drink, or smoke, or do drugs while on the AT or any other trail. I said I simply won't hike with you. Like the guy/girl that snores LOUD, you may choose to sleep as far away as possible, but you still don't like it. The smoker can smoke, simply ask that they do it away from your vicinity. Same for talking on the cell phone. And I am not saying I would state what that limit fir them would be!

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:39
Wow step away from the keyboard

Not angry. Just asking how I was bullying. I also fail to see where in this thread sexual orientation was ever mentioned.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 22:39
And neither am I. I fail to see your point.

i got a PM. was told the wannabe/cyber cafe was for, how you say, "alternative lifestyles" it's cool though

Different Socks
09-03-2012, 22:41
Here are the majority of my posts on this thread. Yes, I participated in thread drift. However, that was only AFTER the OP drifted on his own thread and it was already a free-for-all.

“Hike Your Own Hike and Live Your Own Life... Pretty easy and should be the same thing. If your hike doesn't include drinking, then don't hang out with those who choose to drink. I don't hang out with those who are drinking to get drunk. That is my choice - On and off the trail. If someone gets in my face with their drinking, I will deal with it as the situation arises. Have never met anyone who forced me to hang out with them so they could get drunk... I just walk away. I am not the drinking police.

Just my opinion.”

“My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If you present an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, you will get responses. Not always the responses you are looking for, but that is just the way it is. If you don't want responses, then don't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because you want them to change. They have to want to change. If you don't like a particular thing someone is doing, then don't hike with them. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Just be upfront with them about what you are looking for in a hiking partner.”

“But, if they are spending that much time drinking, then they aren't hiking. Perfect time to get out and hit the trail!

Just a thought, but... If someone chooses to spend their hike drinking.... Shouldn't that be their choice to make? Everyone hits the trail for different reasons. Their hike doesn't have to be your hike. Just like your hike doesn't have to be their hike.”

“But one post builds on another post and another post... That is just the way it is on WB. On the internet, ANYONE can read what they want into something someone says. A person cannot read the poster's body language, facial expressions, or hear the tone with which the thought is being expressed. Just like you took my postings and thought they were completely directed at you. I was using "you" as a a reference to "anyone." Given that, I will change the language of my post to read as follows:

** You (Different Socks) can take my statement "I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it." however you want. It was an observation. It was a continuation of the thought not everyone will agree with what is said on a thread.”

“Being an adult means a person needs to know how to be able to compromise and deal with things. Rather than going up to someone and saying, "Don't do this..." there might be better approaches to the situation. Most people are willing to listen when somoene politely asks them not to do something. Sometimes, things don't spiral into a battle if the situation is approached in a calm, reasonable manner.”

“This is an internet forum...a place for people to express their thoughts and opinions. OP started a thread expressing their opinion. Others now chime in and do the same. WB has never struck me as a place where someone posts a thread stating their likes and dislikes, then finds a hiking partner to match. This is not HikerMatch.com. This is WB. This is the place where HYOH is an answer that comes up time, and time again. WB is also the place where if people feel like they are being told how to hike their hike, they will come back with responses the poster doesn't like.

Different Socks - I have a question for you. This is the internet, so why does it matter what the rest of us think? Why are you worried about a bunch of people being "judgemental" at their keyboards? If you want a hiking buddy, the best way to go about it is to hit the trail. That is the best place to find someone who hikes at your pace, has similar habits, etc. You can't form an honest opinion of someone's "hike" until you are on the trail with them.”

*** I went through and clarified when Different Socks quoted my posts. I fail to see how anything posted here can be construed as an attack. Different Socks was looking for opinions (that is what he stated) and he got them. Yes, I told him to hit the trail. Wasn't said with any malice. I have just found that things sort themselves out on the trail. What seems to be an issue behind a computer monitor/screen, is rarely ever an issue on the trail. Additionally, selecting someone to hike with based on their internet claims can also be misleading. Best to just get out there and find someone to hike with. People with the same hiking speed will tend to keep meeting up, and then take it from there.

What is wrong with that way of thinking?

Nothing. Good, strong and reasonable statements. I apologize if I gave you any wrong impressions.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 22:42
Not angry. Just asking how I was bullying. I also fail to see where in this thread sexual orientation was ever mentioned.
I think it was just a joke

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 22:44
Well if you pointing at me I'd like you to point out thepost that attacked the op. I don't attack people here. and no 1 else speaks for me. I started the cafe to Prevent thread drift on the serious threads.its in the humor forum. different socks thank you for your answer

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:46
Posted by WaterRat--Still, telling someone how they should hike their hike/live? Telling someone they can't go drink to get drunk (because that is not the way you hike/live)... That is on the same level as someone forcing their drunkenness on your hike. It goes both ways. If you don't want someone telling you how to hike your hike/live your life, then you have to respect they are hiking their own hike/living their own life.

I want to make it clear, NEVER in all the posts to this thread did I say people shouldn't drink, or smoke, or do drugs while on the AT or any other trail. I said I simply won't hike with you. Like the guy/girl that snores LOUD, you may choose to sleep as far away as possible, but you still don't like it. The smoker can smoke, simply ask that they do it away from your vicinity. Same for talking on the cell phone. And I am not saying I would state what that limit fir them would be!

Out of all my posts - THAT was how it was decided I was bullying??? I thought I explained the whole "you" meaning directed at "anyone" thing? Do I really have to go back and clarify in each post? My statement was a generalization... It does go both ways. Anyone asking others to have respect for them, should expect that others will ask the same in return. OTHERS on this thread were posting how to live one's life and how to hike one's hike. My answer was directed at all of WB.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 22:47
someone take this thread out back and shoot it

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 22:48
everyone is backpeddlin'

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:48
Nothing. Good, strong and reasonable statements. I apologize if I gave you any wrong impressions.

Thank you, Different Socks. I wasn't trying to start anything.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 22:51
I think it was just a joke

Like I posted earlier... Over the internet, it is hard to see (by facial expressions) how someone meant something when they said it. It also came in at a time when I was being referred to as a bully.

I like jokes as much as anyone who likes a good laugh. I am sorry I failed to see for what you meant it to be.

Thirsty DPD
09-03-2012, 22:52
everyone is backpeddlin'

Stir the soup why don't cha.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 22:53
Stir the soup why don't cha.

just an observation kid

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 22:53
Like I posted earlier... Over the internet, it is hard to see (by facial expressions) how someone meant something when they said it. It also came in at a time when I was being referred to as a bully.

I like jokes as much as anyone who likes a good laugh. I am sorry I failed to see for what you meant it to be.
I didnt make the comment, I just said that I thought it was a joke. Lighten up, its the freakin internet

Train Wreck
09-03-2012, 22:55
i got a PM. was told the wannabe/cyber cafe was for, how you say, "alternative lifestyles" it's cool though

Well, that's a surprise to me, as well. Not that it would matter to me one way or the other. But most of the people I've seen talking in the cafe have been middle-aged, married grandparents. Including myself. Who like to hike. And maybe BS with each other a little bit.

Thirsty DPD
09-03-2012, 22:57
just an observation kid

I feel 40 yrs younger, thanks, Oh my coment was just an obsevation as well.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2012, 22:59
i feel 40 yrs younger, thanks, oh my coment was just an obsevation as well.

ok. ........

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 23:02

Totally news to me. I imagine my boyfriend would be a bit surprised by that news as well.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2012, 23:03
Totally news to me. I imagine my boyfriend would be a bit surprised by that news as well.
maybe go spend some more time with him and not on WB, sheesh, let it go

Bearpaw
09-03-2012, 23:08
I'm glad I read over this thread. Reminds me why I only visit here once every few months. See y'all round Thanksgiving.

Rasty
09-03-2012, 23:20
That went extremely downhill very fast.

kayak karl
09-03-2012, 23:23

Is that at all? Gee thanks! I'm alot more tolerant than you think. But I don't want to have to ask someone to not smoke just so I can breathe. Breathing is not an option, smoking is. Being forced to go into the woods to tent or choose another shelter is again a forced option on me if I end up at a shelter with people drinking. Drinking for them is a voluntary action and option.

this is where we differ. i look at staying in a shelter as being a voluntary action.
all the smokers i met were very polite and i saw no drinking to excess at shelters, but i do hike off season. nobody forces me into the woods with my hammock, its my choice. there are many reasons not to stay at shelters besides things you have mentioned already. if you want to stay, STAY. they can't force you to leave, but choose your battles wisely.
i don't schedule my hiking around anybody. i normally hike alone or in a loose group that tends to change daily. i try not to let people steal my peace of mind. i do this by slowly changing me. my blood pressure is back in line. life is good. i just smile and think "but by the grace of God go I"
Happy Trails
KK

Rasty
09-04-2012, 00:02
I'm going to guess that about half the posts on this thread were influenced by Labor day weekend indulgences of some kind. You'll feel better in the morning. :)

Winds
09-04-2012, 00:33
OK, thanks for the warning.

Regardless if I get drunk, in town, on trail, or smoke, or not, at least you've made it perfectly clear, regardless of your other habits, YOU'RE the type I don't want to hike with. (you sound too boring and too judgmental).

Sly, are you a moderator here?

If so, you are FAR too involved in this topic and more so as a person who is an "authority" here, you are entirely out of line.

Winds
09-04-2012, 00:35
someone take this thread out back and shoot it

That's a pretty good idea.

Tinker
09-04-2012, 00:49
Welcome to Night Haze.nut. :rolleyes: Hasn't this thread done about three Yo-Yos already?

OzJacko
09-04-2012, 05:44
On someone's suggestion I decided to read this thread after all.
I'm not to say anything about all the things said in here except one.
This thread and many others are in the general forum.
The cyber cafe is in the humour forum.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humour

moytoy
09-04-2012, 05:55
Welcome to Night Haze.nut. :rolleyes: Hasn't this thread done about three Yo-Yos already?
I hope DS is proud of himself. He started a firestorm fed by alcohol. We need it to rain!

Lone Wolf
09-04-2012, 07:22
This thread and many others are in the general forum.
The cyber cafe is in the humour forum.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humour

it should be in a gossip forum
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gossip

Gray Blazer
09-04-2012, 07:35
If you don't like drinkers, stay away from my dog.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/travis_iv_1067.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=50268&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=6217)