PDA

View Full Version : Sleep pad pumps

RedMolly
09-03-2012, 08:42
I'm going back and forth on the issue of a sleep pad pump for an AT thru-hike. I can't tell whether the mold issue is hype to sell pumps, or something that really will force me to have to throw away an expensive sleep pad before its time. (Not during the hike, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I'll have to throw away in a year.)

Is the health issue worth the 1-3 ounces in weight?

I figured that rather than going back and forth in my head over it, I'd put it out there for the experts. Thanks for any insight you've got!

--Linda

Rocket Jones
09-03-2012, 10:33
I've never worried about mold inside my sleeping pad, but if you want to carry a pump, take a look at this video about the Instaflator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLVYfg88TE

coach lou
09-03-2012, 12:21
I'm going back and forth on the issue of a sleep pad pump for an AT thru-hike. I can't tell whether the mold issue is hype to sell pumps, or something that really will force me to have to throw away an expensive sleep pad before its time. (Not during the hike, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I'll have to throw away in a year.)

I figured that rather than going back and forth in my head over it, I'd put it out there for the experts. Thanks for any insight you've got!

--Linda

My thermarest is at least 25 yrs old. No mold..... I clean and air out all my gear as soon as I get home.

grayfox
09-03-2012, 19:12
The concern is that in cool temps your warm moist breath condenses inside the foam or on the walls of the mat and it becomes heavy. Also, not cool to think about what might be growing inside there...

This will happen to some extent anyway. The best thing to prevent this is to let the air out while it is warm and you are still laying on it in the morning and then roll it up right away. Also laying it out in the sun can help warm the air in it and at least some of the moisture will go out when you pack it.

I had one older thermarest that the foam disintegrated inside but I really don't know why and can't blame moisture for sure. But it did get me to thinking and I found a small hand pump meant to inflate balloons which I modified with a small hose to fill my mats. It isn't heavy but sometimes I don't take it on light trips. I figure the mat will be worn out befor there is any real problem. Or, more likely, I will find a new 'gotta have' design and replace it.

The best way to extend the life of a mat is to store it unrolled in a cool dark closet with the valve open.

Deacon
09-04-2012, 07:17
Although I question how long it would last, the "Instaflator" is a nice concept. And at $4.00, it's worth a try. Go to www.themillair.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spokes
09-04-2012, 09:01

It's an extra piece of equipment you just don't need on a thru hike. My guess is you'd send it back home at Neels Gap.

All those 1-3 oz items add up. Trust me. You'll have more things to worry about than mold. Like how many Snicker Bars you should buy or if your hiking shorts will dry out before you have to put them on in the morning chill.

Rasty
09-04-2012, 09:31

It's an extra piece of equipment you just don't need on a thru hike. My guess is you'd send it back home at Neels Gap.

All those 1-3 oz items add up. Trust me. You'll have more things to worry about than mold. Like how many Snicker Bars you should buy or if your hiking shorts will dry out before you have to put them on in the morning chill.

The wet shorts are almost as bad as a wet cold wetsuit early in the morning. That feeling of do I really want to put it on usually lasts a few seconds before you pull them on.

Drybones
09-04-2012, 11:49
I bought a pillow/pump combo for my Exped but carried a Cacoon pillow instead...it was 2 oz lighter and more comfortable but I'll still use it for short hikes.

Franco
09-04-2012, 22:49
Pumps are mostly sold for mats that have down in them or for the non sel-inflating mats (like the Neo Air) that some find a bit too much effort to inflate.
Grayfox advice is correct and do keep in mind that foam can disintegrate a bit like rubber band does.
(I use one with the Exped DM not with my other mats)
Franco

leaftye
09-04-2012, 23:19
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31sXaHM8aoL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-03329-Therm-a-rest-AirTap-Pump/dp/B004NBF9Z8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=21XJP42XPE98F&coliid=I2CSD1FK35BFZP

You could install that in another bag you already have, like perhaps the stuff sack for your bag or your pack liner.