PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze Bag Repair

theoilman
09-03-2012, 10:15
Has anyone repaired a Sawyer Squeeze bag? My 1L bag has developed a slow leak where the bag is glued to the plastic fitting. Is there some kind of sealant I can use to seal this?

STICK
09-03-2012, 12:31
IMO, if it is the "dirty" bag, I would just replace it. Don't want to chance a micro leak contaminating your clean water. As well, if it is already worn down in one spot, it is likely that other spots are also wearing thin.

I would suggest to just replace it with another bag. You can get 3 more of the 2L bags at REI for $10. Another option would be to go with an Evernew soft bottle. I just started using a 1.5L Evernew bottle with the Squeeze and the thread pitch is the same, so they fit correctly. These are a little more expensive than the Sawyer bags, but I feel like they are more durable, so IMO, it evens out. However, the Evernew bag is clear, as well, it also has a cap holder.

Also, IMO, I think that the Sawyer bags fare better if they are rolled down rather than squeezing them. Just my opinion though...

jakedatc
09-03-2012, 18:13
Yep, 1.5L Evernew from Gossomer gear.

my 1L sprung a small leak at the top even with rolling it in under 2 weeks on the LT.. i emailed Sawyer with no response.

miyanc
09-03-2012, 19:11
btw the gossamer gear site shows all evernew bottles sold out. Just fyi how much were they?

I have also read that many people cut the bags to make it easier to scoop the water. I am not sure how that would play into you leak.

jakedatc
09-03-2012, 23:14
12.50 shipped for the 1.5L. but should hold up much better than the wimpy Sawyer bags.

i use a cut off water bottle for a scoop, i think it works much better than a bag type scoop.

kayak karl
09-03-2012, 23:36
do the platypus bags fit that?

STICK
09-04-2012, 00:34
do the platypus bags fit that?

Not the ones that have been made within the last 2 years at least...the thread pitch is wrong...

I think that some with really old Platys said that they matched, but that has been few and far between...

Go with the Evernew's if you don't want to stick with the Sawyers. They can be found on eBay fairly easy, but yeah, alot of outdoor retailers seem to be all sold out of them...

Del Q
09-08-2012, 14:45
Question - got the Sawyer Squeeze, Evernew bottles just showed up. My question is this, how do you best transfer clean water after going through the filter INTO a larger hydration bag?

Odd Man Out
09-08-2012, 20:08
Question - got the Sawyer Squeeze, Evernew bottles just showed up. My question is this, how do you best transfer clean water after going through the filter INTO a larger hydration bag?

REI sells tubing adapters. You screw one onto the clean side of the filter and you can connect to a hose.

leaftye
09-08-2012, 21:38

I'm pretty sure these things work.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-Tornado-Tubes/dp/B000GYSZOI

I know people use it with their Sawyer Squeeze, but honestly, I didn't pay all that much attention as to how they were being used. Seeing as how the output threads on the filter and the threads on a hydration bag are both male, I could see how this would work.

ezNomad
09-08-2012, 22:42
1L Smart Water bottle

jakedatc
09-08-2012, 23:09
I'm pretty sure these things work.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-Tornado-Tubes/dp/B000GYSZOI

I know people use it with their Sawyer Squeeze, but honestly, I didn't pay all that much attention as to how they were being used. Seeing as how the output threads on the filter and the threads on a hydration bag are both male, I could see how this would work.

That would work with another Evernew bag/bottle. i was thinking he was talking about a hydration bladder type thing.

I stopped fiddling with the tornado tube and just use the squirt top right into my 1L smartwater bottles.

leaftye
09-08-2012, 23:30
That would work with another Evernew bag/bottle. i was thinking he was talking about a hydration bladder type thing.

I stopped fiddling with the tornado tube and just use the squirt top right into my 1L smartwater bottles.

I was thinking unscrew the spout and attach the tornado tube.

I also squirt into hard bottles.

Del Q
09-09-2012, 16:01
Thanks odd man out................found that - ordered it today

The Sawyer Squeeze fits perfection on the Evernew bottles..............should be a good new system.

jakedatc
09-09-2012, 17:27
I was thinking unscrew the spout and attach the tornado tube.

I also squirt into hard bottles.

well yea, you need to unscrew the squirt top to use the tornado tube. I just stopped using the tornado tube

Del Q
09-09-2012, 19:34
Looking forward to trying the Sawyer Squeeze out on next section hike to VT/NH

Odd Man Out
09-09-2012, 21:14
I thought the advantage of the Tornado Tube is that you can squeeze the clean reservoir to force water back through the filter so you don't need the syringe for backflushing. Seems like you could do that with the tube adaptor too. If your gold is to trim grams, I'm not sure if the weight difference among the three methods is enough difference to worry about.

jakedatc
09-09-2012, 21:39
I tried to backflush it that way from a plastic bottle into the dirty bag.. tornado tube leaked.. it takes a bit of pressure to do. syringe weighs 33g.. tornado tube is 16g

bubonicplay
10-22-2012, 02:50
Platy bottles do not fit.

leaftye
10-22-2012, 03:08
Platy bottles do not fit.

I see you're here now after RJ shut BPL down. Welcome! In that other forum I mentioned that I ordered a Rum Runners bladder. All indications are that it'll work with a Sawyer Squeeze, including an email reply from Rum Runners saying that their flask is compatible with normal 2 liter soda bottle caps. The downside is that the biggest size is 1 liter.

To others, the Rum Runners flask is $7 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5NNAY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

leaftye
10-24-2012, 22:59
Unfortunately the Rum Runners flask doesn't work either. It has a different thread pitch.

The annoying part is that their customer service told me the Rum Runners flask is perfectly compatible with soda bottle caps, which is what I asked about. And they're right. And soda bottles work with the Sawyer Squeeze. Despite that, the Rum Runners flask doesn't work with the Sawyer Squeeze.