PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Options for 2013?

AspieChick
09-03-2012, 11:07
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have noticed over the past few weeks visiting the forum that a lot of you seem to know quite a lot about different trails so I thought this would be a good place to post.

Next summer I will have a max of 6 weeks to do some sort of trip. I am considering either hiking or canoeing or a combination of the 2. I live in Ontario (north of NY state) so I will be sticking to the east as I do want to keep this trip reasonably inexpensive.

I am reasonably fit. I have been having issues with my hip flexor so I have stopped trail running (I typically can run 25 km (about 14 miles) in 2 1/2 hours and been doing a lot of solo canoeing (and portaging) as well as hiking this summer. I would call myself a reasonable fit beginner hiker. I can read maps and use GPS very well but would say I have very limited compass skills. So I am comfortable on a trail requiring map reading but not one that requires bush wacking or is basically not marked for miles on end.

I was considering doing a portion of the AT but the more I read about it the less it sounds like a trail that would suit my personality. It sounds like a lovely trail and it is hard to tell just from reading online but generally speaking I like to hike alone and basically prefer to not run into many people. This summer my best canoe trips were trips where I didn't see anyone for days. So all the discussions on here about people using cell phones, drinking, socializing, etc makes me think this is too much of a social trail and not enough of a wilderness trail for me. Any suggestions about trails that might suit my personality a bit better?

So far I've considered the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, the International Appalachian Trail in Quebec and the Long Trail in Vermont.

Thank you.