PDA

View Full Version : AT Goosebumps??? Am I alone?

RITBlake
05-04-2005, 11:59
Two weeks ago I had to drive from school to Connecticutt to drop off some furniture. My route takes me along route 20 in Mass which the AT crosses. I always get excited when I pass the trail crossing but rarely see any hikers.

This time I parked my jeep and decided to walk up the trail for just a couple hundred feet. I had done this section in the summer and it was neat to go back. Anyway, the second I stepped on the trail I got goosebumps.

Anybody else experience something like this when thinking about the trail ?

Maybe its because I'm doing my Thru this summer, but the trail seems awfully special to me

Blue Jay
05-04-2005, 12:07
You're not alone, it's sacred ground to many people.

TakeABreak
05-04-2005, 13:03
Since my hike I have, gone to Greenville, S.C., on business & to visit a friend near Franklin, N.C., several time over the last 4 years, I drive through, and around the smokies and the area I trained in before my hike. Every time I get an almost overwhelming urge to just park the car, get out and start walking and not look back.

Kerosene
05-04-2005, 13:46
No goosebumps, but I drive my family crazy when we're driving east, recounting the trip I crossed such-and-so road and making them put up with detours just so I can drive past the Trail intersection. It's amazing how much I can remember about the day I passed by 20-odd years ago.

Doctari
05-04-2005, 15:07
Every time!!

Footslogger
05-04-2005, 15:26
No goosbumps but with only a few days left before we fly back east to hike the Kincora to Damascus section there isn't much else on my mind. Really looking forward to having the trail underfoot again ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

gr8fulyankee
05-04-2005, 15:29
I don't get goosebumps, but I feel like there is nothing else going on when I am on the trail.

David S.
05-04-2005, 18:55
Every time I am taking a trip into the North East from Chattanooga, I find my self studying the map and trying to figure out where the AT is. I'll frequently exit and try to find it...and when I do find it, I always feel an odd sense of wonder and excitement. I think to myself, I could hike on a foot path all the way to such n such from here. I have only hiked a few short sections of the AT. I really have no desire to hike the entire thing. I rather get a subtle high from setting foot on the trail and imagining how far I might go should I so desire. Its also fun to imagine who's footsteps I am walking in...sometimes possibly only days or hours ahead.