PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Five Fingers

airinpie
09-03-2012, 15:11
I just finished up a trip from Carver's Gap to 19E, Roan Mountain area. We wanted to take our time and do it in 3 days/2 nights. Anyway, about half a mile in, I started to get a hot spot. It is typical for me to get blisters, and I usually have my heels duct taped, etc. I was hiking in Oboz shoes that I have worn many times before. I had forgotten to tape my feet beforehand, and by mile 3 I had huge blisters on both feet. I carry five fingers as my camp shoes, so I decided to try them. I ended up hiking the remaining 10ish miles in them (carrying a 35lb pack), and it wasn't too bad. I have some calf and ankle soreness, but it is far preferable to the blister pain I was in. I'm wondering if I should consider getting some actual conditioning in with them and just using them as my go to shoe. Everything else seems to give me blisters... Thoughts?

Spokes
09-03-2012, 15:13
Maybe for day hikes but they wouldn't work for me thru hiking in Vermont or New Hampshire for instance. Everyone's feet are different and I'm sure others will chime in saying they are the best hiking shoe concept in decades...... Yada, yada, yada.

Good luck.

Moose2001
09-03-2012, 15:20
If your shoes/boots are giving you blisters, they don't fit you correctly. I'd sure work on that before I'd do a long hike in the 5 fingers!

Spokes
09-03-2012, 15:45
Well said Moose2001

takethisbread
09-03-2012, 15:58
I bought the vibram product without the two slots mostly bc I didn't want to look like a
complete goober, and they do look great and are fine for flat surfaces and well groomed trail, I found them to
be hard to hike all day in. They were good in climbing sections in the whites because your foot tends to bend around the rock rather than balance on top. You have to stay over your toes though, I landed awkwardly on them once and I bruised my heel badly.
It's basically like wearing a thick sock. I'm not a fan, but if I were a runner I'd likely feel differently.

airinpie
09-03-2012, 16:16
I don't know what else to do. This is at least my 4th pair of shoes/boots. Most have been fine on day hikes but give me blisters the minute I start out with a heavy pack.

Rocket Jones
09-03-2012, 16:21
Have you tried liner socks? Hydropel? Different socks? Inserts? Different lacing patterns?

Like you, I sometimes have blister problems and have been trying different things to minimize if not eliminate them. I love my Vibrams, but there's no way I'd try to hike a long distance in them.

Moose2001
09-03-2012, 16:26
I don't know what else to do. This is at least my 4th pair of shoes/boots. Most have been fine on day hikes but give me blisters the minute I start out with a heavy pack.

You said you're wearing Oboz boots. Do they have a gortex liner? Where on your feet do you get blisters?

Spokes
09-03-2012, 16:30
Liberal application of Body Glide or Aquaphor to feet before your boots go on? Maybe work on reducing pack weight?

Del Q
09-03-2012, 16:46
2 issues.............as for the blister item, I made the mistake early on, now I always but my shoes 1/2 size bigger. As for foot prep, I put isopropyl alcohol on my feet 2 weeks before each section hike, wear knee high panty hose (special forces trick so not gay!) with powder, socks on top...........no blisters since.

5 fingers - the Barefoot Sisters did the AT mostly barefoot, amazing...........to me way too my exposure for the toes.

Comfy yes. Risky - I think yes as well. Also, with no sock when they get muddy that would be a friggin mess and more blister risk with all of that "grit" in your feet. Forget the smell factor..........5 fingers would be condemned by the CDC within a few weeks.

Drybones
09-03-2012, 17:05
Have not use the 5 toes but met people on the trail that did. They are very slippery in mud but those using them seamed okay with them.

Snowleopard
09-03-2012, 18:08
It's a good idea to start out gradually with all the minimalist shoes -- you need to strengthen and break in your feet. This is the recommendation from the vivobarefoot web site and matches my experience with minimalist shoes that don't have separate toe slots.

airinpie
09-03-2012, 18:28
I always get blisters on my heels. I haven't tried liners or body glide, so maybe that's an option. I had an insert in the Oboz, but that made my heel slip, so i took it out. I wasn't getting slippage, it felt more like the shoe was grinding into my foot. And I'm working on getting my pack weight down. I'm upgrading my gear piece by piece :)

Moose2001
09-03-2012, 18:36
I always get blisters on my heels. I haven't tried liners or body glide, so maybe that's an option. I had an insert in the Oboz, but that made my heel slip, so i took it out. I wasn't getting slippage, it felt more like the shoe was grinding into my foot. And I'm working on getting my pack weight down. I'm upgrading my gear piece by piece :)

Sounds like your boots just don't fit you well. Blisters are caused by the friction between your boots and your feet. Women often have problems with boots because of narrow heels. If your boots have a gortex/waterproof membrane in them, that could be part of the problem as well.

Donde
09-03-2012, 20:09
I've done sections of VA up to a week in my Vibram KSO's with good results. I've walked 41 1/2 Miles in 20 hrs w/ pack in them( on easy terrain for an endurance event), I have run marathons and 50K's in them. That being said I would not want to be in them in PA on the AT. Also if serious cold or prolonged wet weather are a possibility they would be a poor choice. Funk could be a factor though with regular laundry and several pairs of injinji's you could get around that. On top of all of that it takes a long time to train your feet and your calf muscles to use them for distance or to use them consistently. As always YMMV HYOH.

scree
09-03-2012, 21:19
I've been wearing Vibram Fivefingers for years. My experience is that the quality of materials and workmanship has declined over the past two years. I bought up six pairs of kangaroo leather KSOs which I wear exclusively for hiking and they work great... but when they're all worn out, I'm moving on to different footwear. I purchased pairs of other models last year and this year and have blown out more toe seams more quickly than is reasonable to expect. They aren't made tough enough to stand up to trail conditions anymore, so I wear the new models around town, when driving, and when walking around at concerts and such. The older leather KSOs were good enough that I wore them on an end to end hike of SNP and on weekend hikes in rocky locations including Dragon's Tooth and Old Rag. I wouldn't trust any of the new models, which is unfortunate because they've made some good improvements in the tread while at the same time skimping on the uppers.

Just be aware that they're not what they used to be. For minimalist footwear, consider something like Merrill Tough/Trail Gloves as I've been wearing them a lot more on the trail. Don't like the lack of toe separation, but the durability is fantastic.

Hairbear
09-03-2012, 21:41
im a bare footer all i can(terrain considered)i find that the 5 toes are kind of like being bare foot but not on many levels.i think they are hot,mine were black,if you get dirt or sand between your toes its hard to get them clean enough.the bottoms are ported to drain water ,but this also allows muddy water to get in from the bottom.they also seem to take a while to dry for what they are.if i have to wear shoes its because the trail demands more than the five toes.

MuddyWaters
09-03-2012, 21:51
Your feet see weight. Weight, leads to rubbing, and friction, which leads to blisters.
Your feet do not know pack wt from body wt. Its all the same to them. Both are bad if excessive.

Get your pack down to mid 20s fully loaded
Insure body wt is in the "fit" range
Wear lightwt trail runners

And often, magically, blisters dissapear forever, unless hiking very high mileage multiple days in a row, etc.

Seriously, thats about all there is to it. Weight and miles, as long as footwear fits reasonably well.

Shutterbug
09-03-2012, 23:11
I just finished up a trip from Carver's Gap to 19E, Roan Mountain area. We wanted to take our time and do it in 3 days/2 nights. Anyway, about half a mile in, I started to get a hot spot. It is typical for me to get blisters, and I usually have my heels duct taped, etc. I was hiking in Oboz shoes that I have worn many times before. I had forgotten to tape my feet beforehand, and by mile 3 I had huge blisters on both feet. I carry five fingers as my camp shoes, so I decided to try them. I ended up hiking the remaining 10ish miles in them (carrying a 35lb pack), and it wasn't too bad. I have some calf and ankle soreness, but it is far preferable to the blister pain I was in. I'm wondering if I should consider getting some actual conditioning in with them and just using them as my go to shoe. Everything else seems to give me blisters... Thoughts?

I have been wearing fivefingers for over two years and have never had a blister. I do find that they are more comfortable on the trail if I wear socks. If I don't wear socks, grit from the trail feels like sandpaper on the bottom of my feet. I have to stop often and dump the grit.

The only real problem I have had is walking on snow. If I walk on snow for more than a few minutes, my feet get wet and cold, even if I am wearing socks.

Last year, I hiked rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon with my fivefingers. They did great.

Penguinman
09-04-2012, 10:01
I just finished Pa 309 to Lehigh Gap using my Five Fingers with a 35# pack. It was raining, and I had no problem slipping, or the sharp rocks. Realizing, these are the only shoes I wear all the time. I'm planning my thru hike and so thought I would go the traditional route and try boots and trail runners. They hurt soooo bad I went back to my Five Fingers.

Shiraz-mataz
09-04-2012, 10:55
This subject comes up once in awhile so figured I'd throw in my two cents... When not hiking barefoot, I use my Fivefingers exclusively. Mine are the KSO model which has the classic sole. As others have mentioned it tends to be slippery in wet conditions but you adjust. I think the flexibility gained far outweighs any negatives.

LadybugPicnic
09-04-2012, 11:12
I, too, have been wearing Vibram Five Fingers for a couple of years now. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for others, so you just have to try different methods to see for yourself. I found that wearing my Five Fingers (I hike in Treksports as well as the Spyridons, which offer a bit more protection for the footbeds) for heavier mileage had a tendency to make my feet very sore the next day. Day hikes - no problem - longer hikes - problem. For my 2013 thru-hike, I will bring a pair of Five Fingers as camp shoes as well as hiking in them occasionally and only for shorter mileage. As others have voiced, probably your boots are not fitting right if you are getting blisters on your heels. When I wear trail running shoes (I don't wear boots - too heavy), I wear Injini toe socks as liners and since I started using them, I have never had a blister. If you decide to hike in Five Fingers - work up to it, wear them for a few hours a day to build your muscles. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)