PDA

View Full Version : The plane tickets are booked and paid for

Mulungu
09-03-2012, 15:49
Today we booked and paid for our plane tickets from cape town to Washington. That means the walk next year is real. This is going to happen. This is fantastic.
Now we can start with all the other plans. Oh well just wanted to share some excitement with fellow 2013 hikers

Springbock and southern cross look forward to meeting you all next year. :sun:D:o

rhjanes
09-03-2012, 15:51
congrats! When are you starting the hike? NOBO? Planning a journal, we can follow along with you.

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:05
Today we booked and paid for our plane tickets from cape town to Washington. That means the walk next year is real. This is going to happen. This is fantastic.
Now we can start with all the other plans. Oh well just wanted to share some excitement with fellow 2013 hikers

Springbock and southern cross look forward to meeting you all next year. :sun:D:o

Congratulations!!!! How exciting to actually be one more step closer to the trail! :) How wonderful for you guys!

10-K
09-03-2012, 16:05
Congrats! It'll be here before you know it.

Mulungu
09-03-2012, 16:16
congrats! When are you starting the hike? NOBO? Planning a journal, we can follow along with you.

We are nobo springer mountain to harpers ferry. Leave on the 20 April.
we will definitely be writing a blog, especially for all those south Africans who don't even know t( yet) the trail exist.

Mulungu
09-03-2012, 16:19
Congratulations!!!! How exciting to actually be one more step closer to the trail! :) How wonderful for you guys!

Nothing quite like a bit of excitement to get the week and spring ( 1 September ) off to a grand start. Now we just need to get through summer

Water Rat
09-03-2012, 16:22
Nothing quite like a bit of excitement to get the week and spring ( 1 September ) off to a grand start. Now we just need to get through summer

Shhhhhh.... Some of us are in denial about winter starting. ;) Of course, there are many around here who do prefer winter hiking (fewer people on the trail). Personally, I love summer. I love being out on the water, and out on the trail. Winter is nice in small doses. :)

However, I do agree your news is the perfect way to start a new month and a new week!!!

Moose2001
09-03-2012, 16:27
We are nobo springer mountain to harpers ferry. Leave on the 20 April.
we will definitely be writing a blog, especially for all those south Africans who don't even know t( yet) the trail exist.

I'll also be starting on April 20! Hope to see you out there. Good luck and enjoy the hike.

Cookerhiker
09-03-2012, 16:52
Welcome to the USA and here's hoping the hike goes well!

Drybones
09-03-2012, 17:08
Hope you guys have a fantastic trip....half the fun is in the planning.

Maddog
09-03-2012, 17:20
Good luck, have fun, and be safe! Maddog:D

max patch
09-03-2012, 18:32
Have you thot about getting from Washington to Springer? Here's what I would do.

You can fly from Washington to Atlanta, or, (my choice) take the train (Amtrak) from Washington to Gainesville. At either location, make a reservation with the Hiker Hostel to pick you up, spend the nite at the hostel, and have them drop you off at Springer or Amicalola State Park. Wicked cheap for what you get.

Moose2001
09-03-2012, 18:38
Have you thot about getting from Washington to Springer? Here's what I would do.

You can fly from Washington to Atlanta, or, (my choice) take the train (Amtrak) from Washington to Gainesville. At either location, make a reservation with the Hiker Hostel to pick you up, spend the nite at the hostel, and have them drop you off at Springer or Amicalola State Park. Wicked cheap for what you get.

good suggestion Max Patch. Here's the url for the Hiker Hostel. http://www.hikerhostel.com/index.php

Trillium
09-03-2012, 19:46
Congrats on completing that important step. I still don't know how I'm getting to GA. Planning to start sometime the first week or two of April so maybe we'll see each other at some point.

colorado_rob
09-03-2012, 23:24
Looking forward to crossing paths somewhere along the line; I'll be heading north from Springer right about the same time. Enjoy our diverse country, and educate us about yours!

Train Wreck
09-03-2012, 23:45
Congratulations, Springbock and Southern Cross!
You're really going to do it. That's wonderful news!
From what you said, it looks like you're going to get 2 springs and summers back to back (yours and ours).
Please keep us updated as you go through the planning process!

Mulungu
09-04-2012, 00:39

Thanks that is exactly what we are planning to do . To travel by train will give us a chance to see a bit of the country

Mulungu
09-04-2012, 00:42
Congratulations, Springbock and Southern Cross!
You're really going to do it. That's wonderful news!
From what you said, it looks like you're going to get 2 springs and summers back to back (yours and ours).
Please keep us updated as you go through the planning process!

I just love walking in the mountains in summer. there is something amazing about an early morning coffee watching the sun rise in the mountains. Looking forward to meeting everybody and the fantastic views

Mulungu
09-04-2012, 00:45
Congrats on completing that important step. I still don't know how I'm getting to GA. Planning to start sometime the first week or two of April so maybe we'll see each other at some point.
Looking forward to sharing a coffee or tea on the trail and hearing all the stories. Hoping for lots of laughs

OzJacko
09-04-2012, 04:10
Congrats Mulungu!
I must admit I haven't booked mine yet but I'm following my timetable.
Look forward to reading journals and swapping experiences next year.

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 08:10
Congrats Mulungu!!

Hoping for great weather Spring of 2013 in the USA!

ATMountainTime
09-04-2012, 09:17
You know that lump in your throat? it's called excitement. im sure you will pretty much be ADD at work too. Good luck. Look forward to hearing about it.

LadybugPicnic
09-04-2012, 10:45
Congratulations! I totally understand your excitement - I just got my reservation confirmed at the Hiker Hostel and although it may be a small thing, it solidifies my dream. Flight reservations are next...I head out on April 1 and am counting down the days :)

max patch
09-04-2012, 11:08
Thanks that is exactly what we are planning to do . To travel by train will give us a chance to see a bit of the country

Well, you won't see too much since its an overniter - 6pm to 8am or thereabouts - but its still a great way to travel.

turtle fast
09-04-2012, 16:52
Just remember to bring a bottle of wine, you have some of the best vineyards in your back yard. :)

Sman
09-13-2012, 16:26
So excited about the hike------GOOD LUCK ---- See you on the trail

DeerPath
09-19-2012, 12:09
I just love walking in the mountains in summer. there is something amazing about an early morning coffee watching the sun rise in the mountains. Looking forward to meeting everybody and the fantastic views

Be sure to bring Rooibos Tea.

Aquonehostel
09-19-2012, 12:36
Enjoy your hike Mulungu, truly an international trail.......... Wiggy

Mulungu
09-19-2012, 13:09
Be sure to bring Rooibos Tea.

i will pack a whole box of rooibos tea (my favourit),and biltong and some south african snacks to keep us going. But we also want to have an american experience, tasting and eating away along the trail. we are walking so we can eat anything we like. (wendy,s ben and jerry ice cream) and anything else that sounds good.

if we meet on the way be sure to share a cup with us.

Mulungu
09-19-2012, 13:11
Enjoy your hike Mulungu, truly an international trail.......... Wiggy

thank you we are looking forward to meeting all the "strange americans" (ha ha) on the trail.

avalonmorn
09-19-2012, 13:30
i will pack a whole box of rooibos tea (my favourit),and biltong and some south african snacks to keep us going. But we also want to have an american experience, tasting and eating away along the trail. we are walking so we can eat anything we like. (wendy,s ben and jerry ice cream) and anything else that sounds good.

Mulungu, I'm no psychic, but I see a cheeseburger in your future! Good luck!

Mulungu
09-19-2012, 15:33
Mulungu, I'm no psychic, but I see a cheeseburger in your future! Good luck!

The bones foretell that many cheese burgers,fries and pizzas will be consumed in 2013. Mms looking forward to next year.

Jeff
09-19-2012, 16:22
Have a great trip. Did you say you are finishing at Harpers Ferry? That may be quite emotional leaving your trail friends to finish the trek to Katahdin.

Mulungu
09-20-2012, 00:47
Have a great trip. Did you say you are finishing at Harpers Ferry? That may be quite emotional leaving your trail friends to finish the trek to Katahdin.

I think it will be southern cross ( my wife) is an emotional person crying in movies and at weddings. . But will bring along lots of Kleenex tissues. We would like to see a little bit of the west coast before our visa expires and my credit card shows empty. But I am sure it is going to be an adventure of a lifetime.

DeerPath
09-20-2012, 14:10

I will look forward to meeting you. I was in SA in December 1994, and still go there everyday in my mind.