PDA

View Full Version : Southbound Scheduleling help

Flachenmann
09-03-2012, 16:13
So I'm planning to thru-hike southbound starting early June. June 15th at the latest. My problem is that I'm going to take a break to stand up in a buddy's wedding August 10th. How far south would one expect to get from say June 15th to August 5th in order to catch a bus back to Georgia?

Would it be a little ambitious to think I'd be past The Whites or to Hanover? Hanover seems like the best place for me to catch a greyhound to Atlanta and back. Ticket prices are always cheaper bought way in advance.

map man
09-03-2012, 20:14
I think this is a case where you're better off spending a little extra money and buying shortly before your bus ride. It's way too hard to tell this far in advance where you will be on August 5 (the 53rd day of your hike if you start June 15).

If you average 8.3 miles per day you will be at Hanover NH in 53 days.
At 10 miles per day you will be around Manchester Center VT.
At 12 miles per day you will be around Lee MA.
At 14 miles per day you will be around Pawling NY.

And your post gives us little idea of whether you are experienced/inexperienced, fast/slow/in between.

Papa D
09-03-2012, 20:21
My guess is that you could make N. Adams MA (south side of Vermont line) in 45 days with reasonable comfort if things go your way and you gain some trail legs - - Hanover, NH should be very attainable - - undershooting a bit in my opinion.

Tree Nerd
12-15-2012, 11:58
I am going SOBO starting early June if everything goes to plan. I also have to leave for a wedding but it is in september.....hopefully I will be close enough to home to have someone will pick me up at that time. Good luck with your planning process.