PDA

View Full Version : Best Weekend hike from the NYC/Long Island area?

kevwhaaaaaaaat
09-03-2012, 17:49
Title pretty much sums it up. I know Bear Mountain is a popular spot to start from but I haven't been there since I was a kid so I'm a little hazy on the details. For those of you that have hiked through the area or start there how do you like it? Any tips or helpful information you could offer?

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Cookerhiker
09-03-2012, 19:20
You could also take the train from Grand Central Station to Pawling and hike on the AT from there - the Appalachian Trail station is served on weekends. Check the MetroNorth website for details.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 19:28
you can take the bus from Port Authority to either bear Mountain or south fields.

hikerboy57
09-03-2012, 19:34
Harriman Has hundreds of miles of trails. There are many many different loops you can do. Pick up a set of maps from the new York New Jersey trail conference or rei or ems both in carle place. you can also buy the book harriman trails. there's a lot of history in that park. lots of iron mines and still searching for the secret silver mine.

Feral Bill
09-03-2012, 21:41
+ 1 on Harriman. Easy logistics, well marked trails, and lovely in the fall when the leaves turn. Lovely anytime, really.

Ender
09-04-2012, 08:10
+2 for Harriman. It's easy to plan a loop trail hike there, instead of an in-and-out hike. Lots of really nice trails, a couple public beaches in the park for hot day swimming, blueberries in the summer... it's a really nice place to hike. Easiest way to get there is to take NJ Transit to Tuxedo, and right from the station there are blazes leading you into the park, about a mile away. Super easy. And there's a good deli right by the station for when you are headed back home... they make a killer sammy.

LIhikers
09-06-2012, 02:05
If you want to do a day hike try this
Go to the NJ side of the GWB and hike north on the Long Path.
Then use one of the trails that go down to the Shore Trail, along the bank of the Hudson River, and hike south.
You can get the maps from the NY/NJ Trail Conference.

The Snowman
09-06-2012, 18:38
not the AT but Fire Island national seashore is a very nice weekend hike on long island.