PDA

View Full Version : Newly updated trail data for NM

bearcreek
09-03-2012, 17:59
Here are details from our recent survey of trail changes in NM. Some of these changes will affect this year’s SOBO hikers.

First of all, the waypoint files have been updated to reflect the changes. They are available for free download at www.bearcreeksurvey.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.bearcreeksurvey.com) . If you want to hike some of these reroutes before we publish the next edition of the Mapbooks (probably in November), then I would suggest downloading this new set. It contains a bit over 1800 waypoints for the state.

Since most users this year will be hiking SOBO, I placed this information in SOBO order.

Carson Forest Segment 31

New trail is also open between markers 31_093 (of the current mapbook) and 31_135. The old route has been obliterated so SOBO hikers will naturally follow the new trail. NOBO hikers will turn off of the road going north at 31_093 which is 31_103 in the newly updated waypoint files. There is a marker at the turnoff.

New trail segments are constructed between mile markers 31_000 and 31_051. It is about 300’ short of reaching the road at 31_051, so SOBO hikers wanting to enjoy all this will need to hike off the road at this point to find the trail. NOBO hikers will have no issues – the trail is obvious coming from that direction. I created waypoint 31_050M to help SOBO hikers navigate to where the trail begins. If somebody has time on your hands, a couple of cairns at this location would be helpful. Apparently the USFS ran out of time just before finishing.

Carson Forest, Hopewell Lake – Segment 29. Nice, new trail has been constructed in the vicinity of Hopewell Lake. Work is ongoing right now, and SOBO hikers will end up in a bushwhack if they don’t turn off of the new trail at mile 29_245 and get back on the road which is 300’ away at that point. The trail is marked like it is complete but it is not. When you reach 29_245 you will be able to see the road and should go to it.

Apache NF – 29 miles of nice, new trail has been built which connects highways 12 and 60, replacing the current route that follows roads to Pietown. This is a great improvement over the current road walk, but presents a few new logistical issues. The new route hits highway 60 near Omega, and plans call for more new trail that will once again come close to Pietown, then head north towards Grants. When completed, this will nearly eliminate the long dependence upon roads in the area. For the time being, we have mapped the new trail as far as it goes, then put it on dirt roads to Omega. Then it follows Omega Road 13.5 miles to a intersection with the old roadwalk NW of Pietown at mile 17.5 of the current mapbook.

Omega is 7 miles from Quemado and 14 miles from Pietown. Quemado has two motels, restaurants, and some small stores. Pietown has the Toaster House, a free campground, and the Pie restaurants. Both towns have post offices. Hikers will need to pick one of the two. I envision that hikers might want to hitch from Omega, then hitch back to continue north. Another alternative is to hike along Hwy 60 to Quemado, resupply, then hike Hwy 36 north 15 miles to rejoin the old route.

Here are the choices and mileage totals:
Old route segments 16 and 17 through Pietown to Hwy 36/117 intersection – 69.5 miles (old mapped route)
New route segment 16 and 17 through Omega, Hike Hwy 60 to Quemado, then up Hwy 36 to 36/117 intersection - 65.2 miles
New route segment 16 and 17 through Omega to Hwy 36/117 intersection – 64.7 miles (new mapped route)
New route segment 16, Hike Hwy 60 to Pietown, follow old route to Hwy 36 / 117 intersection– 74.7 miles

I was pleasantly pleased to find enough water along the route or nearby. There are farm ponds, some of which are a bit nasty, windmill tanks, trick tanks (rainfall collectors), and some springs. They are all in the waypoints and will be shown on the maps.

Although the trail has all been recently built, it is becoming overgrown quickly so hopefully people will start using it to establish it better.

Gila NF, vicinity of Kerr Peak. About four miles of excellent new trail that takes hikers off of the rocky jeep trail in the vicinity of Kerr Peak. The new trail is obvious in a SOBO direction, less so heading north. It is between waypoints of 5.4 and 8.5 of Seg 15, (both new and old waypoints) Crews will be improving and re-locating trail from this point on to the end of the segment over the next two years or so.

I will be heading to WY and MT next week to get changes up there. Plan is to have revised mapbooks for all four states available sometime in November.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown (bearcreek)
mailto:[email protected] ([email protected])
www.bearcreeksurvey.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.bearcreeksurvey.com)

SunnyWalker
09-25-2012, 22:32
I want to purchase whatever you offer for the CDT. Am planning a NB hike starting in May of 2013. Is your stuff like the Golf Guidebooks, I'd have gto translate it or will you offer in NB as well? Thanks Bearcreek! Your work was dsecribed to me as done "by a craftsman". Looks like I should wait until after Nov at least, right? New Year any advantgage? You offer hard copies of maps as well? Thanks!

skinewmexico
09-25-2012, 22:52
Link doesn't work

bearcreek
09-26-2012, 16:22
The Mapbooks mileages are organized from south to north, but work ok in either direction. They are topo maps with gps waypoints at average spacing of 6/10 mile or so. (Not a guidebook.)

I don't know why the links aren't working, but if you type www.bearcreeksurvey.com in your browser it should get you there.

In Montana right now, almost done with about 95 miles of changes up here.

SunnyWalker
09-28-2012, 20:13
I just went to the bearcreeksurvey.com and it works great.