PDA

View Full Version : Man Rashes

Sheryll
09-04-2012, 09:45
I need some advise from the guys (girls can probably help too). We went backpacking this weekend and my husband rashed up bad down around his ahem... stuff... and upper thighs and on both cheeks about where his backpockets are. We were going to stay 2 nights on the trail but cut out on the 2nd day because of this. I suggested wearing bicycle shorts under his pants and he is going to try that next time. He has never had this issue before, so we are not sure what is causing it. The pants that he wore are the military camo pants that he wears hunting. I keep trying to get him to get "hiking pants" that are not cotton but he says he has always worn these and never had issues before. (he also got blisters on his feet... cotton socks). We actually hiked a little longer than we ever had before in one day. (we are still kinda new at this)
Anybody got any ideas or advise?
Thanks,
Sheryll

Moose2001
09-04-2012, 09:54
Sheryll.....do you have children? Did any of them ever get diaper rash? It's the same thing. It's caused by wearing cotton underwear and cotton clothing. The simplest way to prevent it is by wearing something different. I always wear a pair of hiking/running shorts that have a nylon net. It allows your body to breath and stay cooler. You can also find hiking pants with a net that work equally as well.

Shiraz-mataz
09-04-2012, 09:58
I have had the same rubbing, rash problems your husband experienced. Many will recommend products like Bodyglide but I found that simply wearing boxer briefs solved the problem. Bicycle shorts are similar so if you have a pair, give'em a try.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 10:04
Duo fold or techwick boxer briefs and gold bond. Works everytime

Buffalo Skipper
09-04-2012, 10:07
I will agree with everyone here but add a few additional ways to deal with this. Yes, avoid the cotton. I use either the Addidas or Target brand Champion boxer briefs. Both work great.

Also consider treating the area with a drying agent, like Anti Monkey Butt powder.

Another product I have found works well is Gold Bond's Friction Defense stick.

But honestly, any talc or baby powder will work just fine.

Good Luck. It is a relief when this issue is resolved. I know.

coach lou
09-04-2012, 10:08

I mix Gold Bond and Desenex................works great for me, kills EVERYTHING

Malto
09-04-2012, 10:19
" I keep trying to get him to get "hiking pants" that are not cotton but he says he has always worn these and never had issues before."

Guess he can't say that anymore.....

Here are some of the factors that I believe cause the rashes and what I have done about each
1) Heat - wear very lightweight clothing.
2) Contact - boxer briefs have worked much better for me than lined shorts.
3) hygiene - a couple of wet wipes per day improves overall cleanliness.
4) Finally I use a combination of medicated and non-medicated powder to control moisture, kill nasties and reduce friction. I use a good bit of it in all potentially affected areas. I believe powder is a better alternative to a stick because there is less goop to attract dirt. I also use the powder on my feet which prevents athletes feet, overall funk and even keep my feet cleaner because the dirt will rub right off.

One more thought, hot summer days will bring out the worst in issues like blisters and rashes. Systems that work great in drier and cooler environments can fail in these conditions.

Sailing_Faith
09-04-2012, 10:20
Good advice so far. I will add that boxer/briefs tend to help a variety of issues. The 'sport shorts' mentioned earlier (shorts with the mesh liner) can cause chafe over time (I live in them on many boat trips)...

but the "Starter' brand boxer/briefs sold at Walmart are great hiker UW.

Skip the package with 6, or with 3... the good ones have only 1 pair per package and are synthetic material that prevents chafe and wicks sweat.. and really are worth the extra $$$.

I will see if I can find a link. It was recommended to me by someone here and it really has helped me.

10-K
09-04-2012, 10:25
I hike commando 100% of the time.

What I do is unzip my fly halfway to ventilate my crotch while I'm hiking if I start sweating and/or if it's hot outside.

It keeps things dry and cooler - heat and moisture being 2 big culprits when it comes to creating rashes. This is free, very effective, and doesn't weigh anything.

Buffalo Skipper
09-04-2012, 10:35
I did not originally say this, but as others have made an issue of ventilation, I thought I would throw the idea of a hiking kilt out there. My last 2 summer hikes (in Florida and Alabama), I have been in a kilt, and it is just great! The most comfortable I have ever been while hiking. I will be in a kilt again this weekend at Torreya, and two weeks later for 6 days on the AT.

Rick Hancock
09-04-2012, 11:06
All of the above info is very useful and each method (powder, cream, etc) works to some degree. I like Body Glide when it's hot or just some talc powder in cooler temps. Get rid of those fatigue pants I don't think they ever get soft in the crotch. I wear some type of cool max or breathable hiking shorts and the first thing I do is cut the inner liner out if they have one just go commando. At night make sure to clean and dry "John Henry and the Boys" not sure if ladies use such names or not. Slip on a pair of cool max boxers for sleeping, I wear them down to low 20's under my 20' quilt and sleep fine. If you visit Brawny and Rainmaker's web site TrailQuest.com there is a section on hygiene that is very informative and together/apart they have tons of miles. Lastly, get rid of the cotton! Shirts, pants, socks, etc

Rick Hancock
09-04-2012, 11:11
One last item, if your wearing "hiking shorts" ie... zippers, button waist, etc. Try to find them with a Y crotch. No seams and a little bit of extra crotch room.

max patch
09-04-2012, 11:25
Don't wear cotton; I use running shorts with a liner. Probably should carry body glide which you can get at running stores until you are sure you don't need it.

Sampson
09-04-2012, 11:34
I did not originally say this, but as others have made an issue of ventilation, I thought I would throw the idea of a hiking kilt out there. My last 2 summer hikes (in Florida and Alabama), I have been in a kilt, and it is just great! The most comfortable I have ever been while hiking. I will be in a kilt again this weekend at Torreya, and two weeks later for 6 days on the AT.

Kilts give me the heebeejeebees. They provide a pathway like the autobahn for ticks. Ever have any unwanted settlers around the family farm as a result of wearing those bad-boys?

max patch
09-04-2012, 11:48
Ain't no hunter gonna be caught dead wearing a kilt.

wornoutboots
09-04-2012, 12:27
I had this same problem really bad 2 weeks ago on a section hike in VA. I was wearing a Sport Kilt Camando. I wouldn't have thought is was from heat build up but I'm wondering if it is from my junk swinging all over the place? My rash was was contained to my "tain't" only?? I did use Gold Bond, but it seemed like it was more like blisters than a "rash"??

Sheryll
09-04-2012, 12:47
Thanks everybody! I knew there was some kinds of cream for this although I was really thinking it was probably his pants (and his stubbornness about cotton... I wear hiking pants and smartwool socks...no rashes or blisters for me!) I will pass on the news and see if he will listen (maybe):)

Cookerhiker
09-04-2012, 13:03
I don't wear cotton except on short day hikes. While the perception is that moisture i.e. humidity aggravates the problem, the only times I've developed rashes or irritations from chaffing has been in the (very) dry atmosphere of the High Sierra on the JMT. On my last trip there a few weeks ago, I used BodyGlide and had no problems.

Spokes
09-04-2012, 14:03
Seems like we've had a "rash" of posts here recently involving military pants, BDU's, etc.....

Get rid of that crap!

Spend some money on a good pair of hiking shorts or spend a little on an average pair of nylon running shorts. Use Body Glide or Aquaphor on your naught bits to help minimize the rash.

Odd Man Out
09-04-2012, 14:13
I like Vaseline. Double use as a fire starter.

bigmac_in
09-04-2012, 14:27

I agree with Chaco on this one. Plus, he's the expert on man rashes.

Hi Chaco. :-)

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 15:18
Sheryll.....do you have children? Did any of them ever get diaper rash? It's the same thing. It's caused by wearing cotton underwear and cotton clothing. The simplest way to prevent it is by wearing something different. I always wear a pair of hiking/running shorts that have a nylon net. It allows your body to breath and stay cooler. You can also find hiking pants with a net that work equally as well. the moose speaks the truth,i too used to be a gald bomb especially with the humid summers.one thing will help commando under some quick drying shorts.a little gold bond the moment you feel a little too wet and he will be good

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 15:26
one thing dawned on me after i posted .was he hiking with no shirt on?that is what gets me the sweat flows like a stream to southern destinations and makes the ,well shall we say equipment room,hot and humid.gaulding me every time.

yellowsirocco
09-04-2012, 15:44
I love the wet wipes. If you don't keep yourself clean the salt acts like sandpaper.

Buffalo Skipper
09-04-2012, 16:11
Kilts give me the heebeejeebees. They provide a pathway like the autobahn for ticks. Ever have any unwanted settlers around the family farm as a result of wearing those bad-boys?

Never. I treat my clothes with permethrin. I don't have problems with mosquitos, chiggers or tickes anywhere on me.

barf_jay
09-04-2012, 16:19
I had this issue in the early summer...it was Jock Itch. First time for me also, so now I carry two items that I use daily, issue has never came back:

http://www.zeasorb.com/products/jock-itch.html

And also regular Lotrimin athlete's foot cream....both together works like a champ!

BobTheBuilder
09-04-2012, 16:52

You must be one heck of a fast hiker to make it catch fire.

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 17:33
You must be one heck of a fast hiker to make it catch fire. smokes a long time before ignition lol

BFI
09-04-2012, 18:43
I have had the same rubbing, rash problems your husband experienced. Many will recommend products like Bodyglide but I found that simply wearing boxer briefs solved the problem. Bicycle shorts are similar so if you have a pair, give'em a try.

Yup same for me , Body Glide and Exaficio boxer briefs did the trick for me. Body Glide also worked wonders preventing blisters between the toes

Trail Bug
09-05-2012, 08:14
Just make sure you do not have Shingles. At first I thought I had a heat rash. Glad I did not wait too long to get it checked. I was in my 50's at the time.

glaux
09-08-2012, 15:59
Girls get the same thing, but because our clothes tend to fit more snugly, it's not as common. Still, when it's at all warm/humid outside, I use body glide anywhere there's skin to skin contact, and it works wonders. Also, if you feel the slightest twinge like chafing is starting to be a problem, don't try to get another couple miles in before you do something about it.

shelb
09-08-2012, 21:55
My husband, sons, and I have found that we need to wear either synthetic boxer briefs, biking shorts, or compression shorts (Walmart - $12). These help prevent chafing. In addition, we carry Body Glide (which replaces the Gold Bond we used to carry). COTTON is your ENEMY! I ONLY wear cotton in my daily life - but NEVER wear it on the trail! You are wise to use smartwool.... Have him save the cotton for home. (Just FYI: All my family members have begun to switch to smartwool for home use. While expensive, it prevents odor and lasts way longer!!! Plus, they make dress socks!

Ground Control
09-09-2012, 05:38
corn starch works almost as well as Gold Bond. It has soothed the diaper / man-rash of waiters and chefs for generations...

camrs73
09-13-2012, 11:11
Compression shorts all the way. Get the fabric up in there where the inner thighs rub together and I never have a problem. Even wear them when I cut the grass with a walk behind mower. Friction and thighs are badddd

pettifogger
09-28-2012, 20:32
Ex Officio boxer briefs are legendary. Eradicate cotton. I bought a pair, then 4 more, and now I wear them for travel, work, everything.

Wise Old Owl
09-28-2012, 20:47
I hike commando 100% of the time.

What I do is unzip my fly halfway to ventilate my crotch while I'm hiking if I start sweating and/or if it's hot outside.

It keeps things dry and cooler - heat and moisture being 2 big culprits when it comes to creating rashes. This is free, very effective, and doesn't weigh anything.

Uh wow 10-k uhh TMI and gee - must be popular with the girls? Nevermind....

lack of zinc and fungus reduction.... very old school.... Bactin

Girls get the same thing, but because our clothes tend to fit more snugly, it's not as common. Still, when it's at all warm/humid outside, I use body glide anywhere there's skin to skin contact, and it works wonders. Also, if you feel the slightest twinge like chafing is starting to be a problem, don't try to get another couple miles in before you do something about it.

Great post.

corn starch works almost as well as Gold Bond. It has soothed the diaper / man-rash of waiters and chefs for generations...

My take on this is its great for minor stuff by drying out the chap.