PDA

View Full Version : Best insole

Drybones
09-04-2012, 13:58
The heel strike on downhills really takes a toll on the torn cartilage in my knees so I'm looking for the most cushioned insole I can find. Any recommendations?

Deacon
09-04-2012, 14:03
I've tried several brands, and for me, the most supportive in the heel is the Sole EV. Expensive though, $56 at Zappos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby
09-04-2012, 14:08
this is all I use these days

http://www.spenco.com/products/footcare/poly-sorb/cross-trainer

run 50ks, 50milers and marathons in them - wouldn't use anything else
hiked the LT using them

Wish I knew about them when I hiked the AT

I've tried most other brands including much more expensive ones - these for me are the best

good support, but not to much

lots of cushioning

last a while and they are relatively inexpensive

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 19:43

hiked the LT using them

I've tried most other brands including much more expensive ones - these for me are the best

lots of cushioning

Until now, I haven't felt the need to switch out the insoles in the shoes/boots I buy. Recently, I have started warming to the idea...I know my knee would feel better if I had more cushioning. Pretty sure my ankles would be happier, too. I took a look at Superfeet, but they didn't seem to offer the cushioning I am looking for. I am wondering if the Spenco cross-trainer insole is something more my speed. I am looking more for cushioning, than arch support.

Bobby - I am not quite sure how to phrase the question, so please bear with me. Are these insoles more "universal" than some of the other brands? If I walked into a store and got a pair...would I need to specify what type I needed (Superfeet are color-coded, etc.), or could I just say I would like the Spenco cross-trainer insole?

I admit to knowing nothing on this topic. Any info to get me started would be greatly appreciated!

buff_jeff
09-04-2012, 19:46
I've always found the New Balance Pressure relief insoles to be excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Pressure-Relief-Insole/dp/B005ZE0NTO

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 19:48
I've always found the New Balance Pressure relief insoles to be excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Pressure-Relief-Insole/dp/B005ZE0NTO

Definitely something to look at... How is the cushioning for the knees? I have to admit, that is mostly what I am looking for.

buff_jeff
09-04-2012, 19:55
Definitely something to look at... How is the cushioning for the knees? I have to admit, that is mostly what I am looking for.

Obviously, nothing is going to completely cushion your knees from all the impact associated with running/hiking, but I think they do a very good job. My dad also swears by them and won't go on a hike without them. I also like that they're soft, as opposed to Superfeet, which seem to be like pieces of plastic.

I'd add that if you guys aren't using trekking poles, START! I think they're probably more important than insoles, honestly.

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 20:00
Obviously, nothing is going to completely cushion your knees from all the impact associated with running/hiking, but I think they do a very good job. My dad also swears by them and won't go on a hike without them. I also like that they're soft, as opposed to Superfeet, which seem to be like pieces of plastic.

I'd add that if you guys aren't using trekking poles, START! I think they're probably more important than insoles, honestly.

I finally converted to trekking poles...only held off because of a bum shoulder (and I did not want to aggravate it). They have helped tremendously. Made me start looking at what else I could do to improve my hike. Not that I ever have a bad time on the trail. I just want to make my joints appreciate it a bit more!

Since these sound like the opposite of Superfeet, I am going to give them a good bit of my time and research. Thanks for giving me some direction, buff_jeff! Much appreciated.

buff_jeff
09-04-2012, 20:08
I finally converted to trekking poles...only held off because of a bum shoulder (and I did not want to aggravate it). They have helped tremendously. Made me start looking at what else I could do to improve my hike. Not that I ever have a bad time on the trail. I just want to make my joints appreciate it a bit more!

Since these sound like the opposite of Superfeet, I am going to give them a good bit of my time and research. Thanks for giving me some direction, buff_jeff! Much appreciated.

No problem, hope they help!

Do you also wear boots? The only time I ever had anything more than minor knee aggravation was when I wore boots. Going to lightweight trail runners has helped a lot. Just one more thing to think about.

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 20:12
No problem, hope they help!

Do you also wear boots? The only time I ever had anything more than minor knee aggravation was when I wore boots. Going to lightweight trail runners has helped a lot. Just one more thing to think about.

Actually, I switched over to trail runners a few years back. Knee was really acting up with the boots. That was when I started thinking about the fact that, as a kid, I never wore boots. I was always scrambling all over the trail in sneakers. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it, so I did. That move made a lot of difference! It's just time to add to that a little.

Awesome advice!

moytoy
09-04-2012, 20:27

hiked the LT using them

lots of cushioning

I'm also a Spenco fan. I use the Total Support Polysorb. They are for a med to high arch. I use them with NB 814 TR and my knee pain has reduced a lot. I think the trick is to find the right insole and shoe combo for your feet. Whats good for me might not work for you.

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 20:33
I'm also a Spenco fan. I use the Total Support Polysorb. They are for a med to high arch. I use them with NB 814 TR and my knee pain has reduced a lot. I think the trick is to find the right insole and shoe combo for your feet. Whats good for me might not work for you.

Also very good advice! After looking at a few of the Spenco products, I think I am more of a candidate for the cross-trainer insole. I plan on doing quite a bit more research before I take the plunge, but it is looking good so far. Am totally keeping my mind open to any other insoles that would be worth taking a look at! Before I purchase, I tend to do a lot of research. Then, I like to be able to look at the product. Take it from there. If it works, that would be awesome. If it doesn't work, then I am no worse off. I like the bit of advice about the right insole and shoe. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Mountain Mike
09-04-2012, 20:39
I found out about Spenco on my AT thru. I estimated almost 20% increase in milage with them. Anytime I get new shoes I get a pair of them & replace as needed.

Bobby
09-04-2012, 22:02
Until now, I haven't felt the need to switch out the insoles in the shoes/boots I buy. Recently, I have started warming to the idea...I know my knee would feel better if I had more cushioning. Pretty sure my ankles would be happier, too. I took a look at Superfeet, but they didn't seem to offer the cushioning I am looking for. I am wondering if the Spenco cross-trainer insole is something more my speed. I am looking more for cushioning, than arch support.

Bobby - I am not quite sure how to phrase the question, so please bear with me. Are these insoles more "universal" than some of the other brands? If I walked into a store and got a pair...would I need to specify what type I needed (Superfeet are color-coded, etc.), or could I just say I would like the Spenco cross-trainer insole?

I admit to knowing nothing on this topic. Any info to get me started would be greatly appreciated!

If you look at the Spenco site you will notice under "footcare" they list lots of different types of insoles. I've only tried a few - when i tried the Cross Trainers there was no need to go further.

Maybe click on the store near you button, find a place in your area and try out different types.

Someone else said it here - everyone is different. What works for me may not be something you like.

To finally get to your question - no it's a shoe size thing. Nothing else.

Bobby
09-04-2012, 22:04
errrrr......I mean yes they are universal - just ask for the cross trainers in your shoe size

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 22:05
If you look at the Spenco site you will notice under "footcare" they list lots of different types of insoles. I've only tried a few - when i tried the Cross Trainers there was no need to go further.

Maybe click on the store near you button, find a place in your area and try out different types.

Someone else said it here - everyone is different. What works for me may not be something you like.

To finally get to your question - no it's a shoe size thing. Nothing else.

I think I will give Spenco a go. Thanks for taking the time to help!

SassyWindsor
09-05-2012, 20:09
The heel strike on downhills really takes a toll on the torn cartilage in my knees so I'm looking for the most cushioned insole I can find. Any recommendations?

I use 7mm thick foot beds in my Scarpa Sherpa and Fabiano Rios all leather boots. Plenty of padding to mold to feet and absorbs the impact needed to keep feet comfy. Several brands for under $15 a pair.