PDA

View Full Version : Danger on the trail ?

Skyrunner
09-04-2012, 15:05
Hi at all!
My first post here on white blaze! ... My name is Tim and I am 21 years old.
I am planning a thru' hike. Like many other folks I have some questions (maybe they are stupid) and it would be really great with someone could help me.

I live in Germany right now and so I am not an expert in dangers or the general safety in the USA.
My question is does somebody know if there were attacks to hikers (thru' hikers) by people (maybe directly on the trail or in the towns) ?

I have to say that I'm interested in hiking the AT since more than (around) 3 years and I never heard about attacks to thru' hikers by people. Maybe somebody got some more news or so?
Maybe I have too much worries but I also know that everything could happen and then it doesn't matter if you are in the USA or in Germany or somewhere else in our world.

I am sorry if there is a same thread and I am also sorry for my english. I hope you can understand what I wanted to talk about. ...
Well, thank you very much in advance and thank you for this great forum !!
Best regards
Tim

Skyrunner
09-04-2012, 15:08
Of course it should be: IF someone could help me instead of WITH !!
I am sorry!!

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 15:10
Hey there Skyrunner... Welcome to White Blaze. I'll let others on here answer your question about safety on the trail. It's pretty safe. Good you found this site.. it will be helpful to you. :):welcome

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 15:12
welcome my friend,relax on the english most of us wont be bragging about our abilities with the language either and its the only one we have lol.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 15:21
although over the years there have been a few reports of attacks on hikers and even a murder or 2 the trail is much safer than most of our cities. and most of them are pretty safe too. just use good judgement I trust your instincts and you will be fine. welcome to white blaze.:banana

Rasty
09-04-2012, 15:23
His English is better than mine.

Just like anywhere else isolated violence happens, and it is isolated. Don't camp near road crossings would be my only real advise.

yellowsirocco
09-04-2012, 15:50
My advice: Don't hang too much around the party crowd. Some of these people are just stupid. I am not saying don't hang out with the drunks and potheads, but just be smart about it when you do.

canoe
09-04-2012, 16:05
although over the years there have been a few reports of a tax on hikers and even a murder or 2 the trail is much safer than most of our cities. and most of them are pretty safe too. just use good judgement I trust your instincts and you will be fine. welcome to white blaze.:banana

Much safer than ALLL our cities.

scree
09-04-2012, 16:09
You should be OK in most areas if you're sufficiently trained in Ninjutsu.

ChinMusic
09-04-2012, 16:26
Q: Danger on the trail ?

A: The deer tick and Lyme Disease.

IMO that is the only true "danger" that is not obvious. By the time you get to mid/northern Virginia you will be getting into territory where the ticks carry Lyme Disease. You need to read up on it prior to your trip and plan accordingly.

turtle fast
09-04-2012, 16:42
Most dangerous to you on the trail is tripping and falling over a rock or root and possibly twisting an ankle or something. Yes, you have to be aware of ticks for Lymes disease (like in France)...or of petty theft like anywhere else in the world. But overall its much, much safer than any city like Berlin or Hamburg or Dusseldorf.

Odd Man Out
09-04-2012, 16:47
1. The topic has been discussed often so you may find it helpful to search old postings.

2. Because there are always new people here, it isn't surprising to hear the question again. I am a University professor and I hate it when my students don't ask questions. If you want to know the answer, then other people probably want to know it too.

3. In the past ten years have there been attacks on people in Heidelberg? Probably. How do you protect yourself at home? You probably use common sense and don't worry about it much because the threat isn't that great. Most people will say the AT is no different.

4. Your English is fine. You will get along with no problem. Have a great trip.

5. As pointed out above, it is good to get to know the natural dangers. Ticks have already been pointed out. If you don't have poison ivy in Germany, you might want to learn about that too.

although over the years there have been a few reports of a tax on hikers ...

5. I'd like to know more about the tax on hikers. That really worries me, I already pay enough taxes ;)

ChinMusic
09-04-2012, 16:53
Maybe I have too much worries but I also know that everything could happen and then it doesn't matter if you are in the USA or in Germany or somewhere else in our world.

I have not been to Germany but I would assume the same issues exist in both country's cities, to some extent. There are parts of my hometown that I wouldn't stop to change a flat tire. I have not seen one place on the AT that gave me a similar feeling.

I think you will find the AT a safe experience.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 16:57
Much safer than ALLL our cities.

our cities are safe.

Cookerhiker
09-04-2012, 17:20
although over the years there have been a few reports of a tax on hikers...

I've been hiking on the AT for over 40 years and never had to pay a tax for it.

Drybones
09-04-2012, 17:23
Most dangerous to you on the trail is tripping and falling over a rock or root and possibly twisting an ankle or something. Yes, you have to be aware of ticks for Lymes disease (like in France)...or of petty theft like anywhere else in the world. But overall its much, much safer than any city like Berlin or Hamburg or Dusseldorf.

I agree with TF...biggest danger is tripping and falling, which I do at home as well as on the trail. You will not regret making the hike...met several of your countymen this spring...all really nice people.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 17:38
I've been hiking on the AT for over 40 years and never had to pay a tax for it.

voice recognition has a few flaws.
I think I was thinking about Hut fees.

IrishBASTARD
09-04-2012, 17:40
although over the years there have been a few reports of attacks on hikers and even a murder or 2 the trail is much safer than most of our cities. and most of them are pretty safe too. just use good judgement I trust your instincts and you will be fine. welcome to white blaze.:banana Hikerboy HONESTLY where do you GET YOUR MISINFORMATION? You're as Bad as Paul Ryan...with BS. These are just nine of the murders...they happen more then most would like to state. As well as a youn gentleman killed last year in august at a shelter in VA...by the trail name "STONEWALL".

IrishBASTARD
09-04-2012, 17:41
http://southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/shooting/crime/appalachian-trail-murders.html THE FEED my bad

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 17:45
a lot of people died yesterday alone. more will died today. how many millions of people have hiked the 80 without dying? I'm betting this going to be a lot of people dead tomorrow too. why are you trying to scare the kid?

RED-DOG
09-04-2012, 17:48
I have Thru-hiked the AT 3 times and only been robbed once, all in all it is as safe of a place you will ever find in the USA, this Irishbastard guy he has double personalities. but any ways go, have fun, and enjoy.

IrishBASTARD
09-04-2012, 17:58
FACTS ARE FACTS HIKERBOY...scared or not. FACTUAL proof dictates YOU'RE wrong in your comment...and besides you let the comment slip so easily. As if a murder or two WAS NOT A BIG DEAL...anyone WHO dies anywhere is sad let alone on trail. Better for him to know then be ignorant by listening to you...that SIMPLE.

IrishBASTARD
09-04-2012, 18:00
I have Thru-hiked the AT 3 times and only been robbed once, all in all it is as safe of a place you will ever find in the USA, this Irishbastard guy he has double personalities. but any ways go, have fun, and enjoy. Red-DOG where do you get this BS info from. Knew GA was full of morons but come on. Tim to hike the A.T would search ONLINE not in WB for information...as most people are hateful let alone ignorant. Three times RED-DOG what years?

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 18:02
People die all the time.
By the way, hows your thru hike attempt going?. Been killed yet? any attempts on your life?

IrishBASTARD
09-04-2012, 18:12
As well Tim watch out for section hikers or weekend hikers. As had twree friends aka other Thru-hikers been bitten by dogs...WHILE ON TRAIL. Alpo who got his face bit by a PITBULL...DW who got bit in the smokies Dog Whispier...and a fellow German National Coffee-to-Go who had his ten destroyed. Coffee-to-Go was hiking by himself thru Mt. Rogers area set up his tent...had it torn to shreds by a weekend hiker. This "HIKER" offered him fifty dollars for what was a "six hundred dollar tent" his quote not mine. He told me "I was too afraid to ask for more because felt I would be beaten up". This is what you have to watch out for...NEVER KNOW. Not trying to scare you off but would suggest meeting up with someone you can trust...hike with them. As well go with you're gut feelings. If a situation feels off to you no matter...move on or set up camp somewhere else. Overall my experience on the trail in the NORTH was stellar had major issues for my safety down SOUTH. Could be because Im a born Northerner...not sure if the War is still raging or not. Wish you all the luck on your THRU-HIKE.

ChinMusic
09-04-2012, 18:21
People die all the time.
By the way, hows your thru hike attempt going?. Been killed yet? any attempts on your life?

I think he's been killed at least twice, so far......

moytoy
09-04-2012, 18:26
Tim... Pay no attention to IrishBastard, if you check his post history you can see that he is on WB to goad anybody and everybody into an argument. He is usually successful and will turn your thread into a hatefest. Are there dangers on the trail? Of course but you already know this. I can understand your concerns but listen to others and their suggestions to help with your concerns. If you start your thru in the spring like most everone else then you are going to have lots of hikers around you from the start. Find a group that you like and who like you and move out with them. Stay in touch with familiar people as you move along and soon your fears will deminish and you can enjoy your trip like you deserve.

Drybones
09-04-2012, 18:26
I'm not saying he's lying or stretching things...dont know the guy...but from his postings...I'd take anything ibastard says with a gain or two of salt.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2012, 18:59
My question is does somebody know if there were attacks to hikers (thru' hikers) by people (maybe directly on the trail or in the towns) ?

I have to say that I'm interested in hiking the AT since more than (around) 3 years and I never heard about attacks to thru' hikers by people. Maybe somebody got some more news or so?
every year there seems to be attacks on hikers. in towns and on the trail. a hiker was set on fire in gettysburg this year. i was even threatened in damascus by a friend of a hiker that i called the police on for smokin' dope in a church hostel. he came to town to find me specifically. i have a permit to carry. just be aware of your surroundings at all times

canoe
09-04-2012, 19:06
our cities are safe.
Which city are you refering to Chicago? For a city that has no guns 30 some people were murdered last weekend. Hmm that is why I stated the AT is much safer than all our cities. Do some research

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 19:09
the overwhelming majority of people survive the weekend.

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 19:18
every year there seems to be attacks on hikers. in towns and on the trail. a hiker was set on fire in gettysburg this year. i was even threatened in damascus by a friend of a hiker that i called the police on for smokin' dope in a church hostel. he came to town to find me specifically. i have a permit to carry. just be aware of your surroundings at all times
wow i almost fell over reading that you always seem so liberal with your posts.so i dont pre judge you can you tell me why you would call the law?if they came looking for you you were not living there,and the call must have been made without them knowing

RED-DOG
09-04-2012, 19:23
Damn, why is it that every time i post something some body has to turn it into an arguement.

canoe
09-04-2012, 19:31
the overwhelming majority of people survive the weekend. So your definition of safety is if the majority survives its a safe place. Now thats some logic there.

canoe
09-04-2012, 19:32
Damn, why is it that every time i post something some body has to turn it into an arguement. Some people live to argue. Mostly those who have a little imbalance

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 19:35
sorry i withdraw my question i dont want an answer and will no longer respond to this thread

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 19:36
millions of people use the trail every year without incident millions of people walk the streets of New York everyday without incident the government wants you to believe that the world is a scary for fearful place the more scared we are the more we can be controlled. I jus not live in fear. my glass is half full. yours seems to be empty.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2012, 19:37
wow i almost fell over reading that you always seem so liberal with your posts.so i dont pre judge you can you tell me why you would call the law?if they came looking for you you were not living there,and the call must have been made without them knowing

i called the law because i assit the caretaker of the hostel and drugs/alcohol are forbidden there. zero tolerance. i don't understand the rest of your question

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 19:41
i called the law because i assit the caretaker of the hostel and drugs/alcohol are forbidden there. zero tolerance. i don't understand the rest of your questionsorry i jumped to a conclusion without the facts ,my bad

canoe
09-04-2012, 19:42
millions of people use the trail every year without incident millions of people walk the streets of New York everyday without incident the government wants you to believe that the world is a scary for fearful place the more scared we are the more we can be controlled. I jus not live in fear. my glass is half full. yours seems to be empty.
I tell you whats empty. Your head. and the bowl you are smoking out of.

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 19:43
Tim-I just found this article written by a section hiker that has hiked all of the AT in VA. He wrote this article for the AT's 75th anniversary. You are asking about people on the trail. He has 2 "blurbs" of people on the trail. Hope you find this helpful.

Weird people-Yeah, there's a few of them out there, like with any community. If you hike into a shelter planning to spend the night and someone appears to be living there, move on to the next shelter or tent in the woods.

I ran into a guy like this near the Bedford-Buchanan county line.I ws worn out and needed to water up at the spring and planned to spend the night, until I noticed that this fellow had basically turned the entire shelter into a living room-kitchen-homeless shelter. He immediately started telling me about his numerous medical problems and how he had been helicoptered out of several previous shelters and how he spent most of his time on the trail. I moved on and tented in the woods.

Scary people-I haven't met any scary people. My non-hiker relatives and friends often ask me if I get scared since I hike mostly by myself. One recommended that I carry agun, which I don't. I haven't met anyone who scares me. Now, the fact that a hiker was murdered in Amherst Co. at Cow Camp Gap Shelter last year did turn me off from hiking that area for a while,but I have since been back. I can't imagine what happened there. I do avoid camping anywhere near a road or easy trail access point,perferring shelters or the remote woods. And I will confess that a deer or squirrel or even a large bug nosing around outside my tent on a moonless night can give me the creeps. In that case, I yell and whatever it is goes away.

This is the reasons he gave for hiking the AT... Exercise of course, The light shooting through the green canopy. Water flashing over rocks in a creek. A wildflower you've never seen. A cool breeze in the evening. Carrying everything you need to live for a few days on your back. Fixing a cup of tea as the moon comes up. Watching a tiny green spider spin its web. Sunset over the mountains.

canoe
09-04-2012, 19:48
back to my original statement Tim, Its a great place to hike. you should have no problem. Its, like one of the most peaceful places in the US.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 20:52
Skyrunner, welcome!

The short answer to your question is that hiking the trail is incredibly safe. The greatest dangers you need to worry about are the natural hazards already mentioned, these are the risks you should take the time to study. Take to make sure you don't trip or fall on the trail. Learn about both deer ticks and the Lime disease, you will need check yourself frequently for tick bites and need to know they symptoms of Lyme so that you can get medical treatment if you should catch this disease. Know your physical limits and always top to rest when it is necessary. Learn how to prevent hypothermia and heat exhaustion.

Violence on the trail is incredibly rare, however many people like to focus on the few violent acts that occur. When reading some of the fearful posts people have written where they can site 3 or 4 acts of violence in recent years, keep in mind that according to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail) the Appalachian Trail is used by 2,000,000 to 3,000,000 people a year.

rickb
09-04-2012, 21:40

Yes, some people have this info.

The vast majority of people on this site feel that providing others with this information is fear mongering. The thinking is that a prospective thru hiker should not be subjected to raw fact, because he or she does not have the capacity to process that information.

Don H
09-04-2012, 21:41
i have a permit to carry.

An armed society is a polite society.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:48

Then clearly a lot of people on WB aren't armed. ;)

ChinMusic
09-04-2012, 21:56
the overwhelming majority of people survive the weekend.

Parts of Chicago are like a war zone, And yes, most survive the weekend. If the AT went through south Chicago I would blue blaze.

I don't understand your point.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 22:16
Ive been to chicago many times,never been afraid.its a great city.everybody dies.a 19 yr old kid died of a heart attack while surfing here two weeks ago.life is too short to live in fear. there's nothing to be afraid of. just use good judgement and learn to trust your instincts.

Thirsty DPD
09-04-2012, 22:55
Alpo who got his face bit by a PITBULL...

IB,
"Alpo who got his face bit by a PITBULL", That's really good, where do you come up with your material. Great stuff, what's the chance that "Alpo" gets bit by a dog. You should take this material on the road, please.

As far as the safety of the trail, the war stories your reading about on this thread are scarier then the trail itself. Like mentioned, be aware of your surroundings, keep a distance from those that make you uncomfortable. Treat your water & check for ticks, & have a great time.

ChinMusic
09-04-2012, 23:25
just use good judgement and learn to trust your instincts.
I would use my good judgement and avoid the south side like the plague.

silverscuba22
09-04-2012, 23:45
IB,
"Alpo who got his face bit by a PITBULL", That's really good, where do you come up with your material. Great stuff, what's the chance that "Alpo" gets bit by a dog. You should take this material on the road, please.

As far as the safety of the trail, the war stories your reading about on this thread are scarier then the trail itself. Like mentioned, be aware of your surroundings, keep a distance from those that make you uncomfortable. Treat your water & check for ticks, & have a great time.

LOL you know i dont even come on here to learn anymore, i just like to see what kind of BS Irishbastard/Roadside posted today..... the guy cracks me up

As for trail safty.... the trail is a pretty safe place, just avoid shady people like IB,

Skyrunner
09-05-2012, 00:40
Hi at all and good morning!
thank you for all answers to this thread!
I am a little bit suprised that there are so many answers in this short time but it's really great! So thank you again!

... In Germany there are also areas where I wouldn't want to hang out or go on a trip. But yeah, I think we all have to be careful and to "protect" the other hikers!
So, I am still in planning a thru' hike (safe some more money etc.) but I said to myself I want to do this. And because of that I will be careful but not too afraid and I think if we take care for the other hikers (doen't matter if you hike solo or in a group) everything will be good. (I hope so!)
In Germany where I live near Heidelberg (there is a caserne of US-army) ... there is also a area were we have danger with tick(s). A friend of the family is now in a wheel chair because of these little animals. But I know the risk and yeah I have to say it again "be careful".

So to my english :D ... I know sometimes I make mistakes but I hope it's not too bad. But I think if you would hear me talking english this would be really funny for you! :D

Thank you again for all posts and thank you for this nice welcome!

Feral Bill
09-05-2012, 01:32
Yes! Like Afganistan, or the tribal zones of Pakistan.

Rain Man
09-05-2012, 09:28
I am a little bit suprised that there are so many answers in this short time but it's really great! So thank you again!

I'm not. Too many Americans love to inflate and sensationalize and even falsify anything and everything, not to mention love to add their two cents worth to grab some attention and airtime.

Thank you again for all posts and thank you for this nice welcome!

You are very welcome! I see that you are 21. My daughter turned 20 two days before setting foot, alone, on the AT to do her thru-hike. To listen to some, danger, rape, and fear should have been her hiking companions all the way to Maine. Instead, she had a great time, loved the people, and says she'd go right back and do it again.

Sure, be prudent in who you associate with, where you stay, and watch your valuable gear. But that should be 1% of your hike, not 99%, not the focus and not the center nor circumference of your months on the trail. The AT is very safe with very few deaths, assaults, or thefts.

A few years before her AT hike, my daughter spent a year as a 15-year-old exchange student in Argentina. She doesn't live her life in fear. Don't let fear-mongers on WB cause you to hike the AT in fear.

Rain Man

Skyrunner
09-05-2012, 13:36
I think you are right Rain Man!
Being careful is important but this shouldn't be 99% of the hike!

I understand your daughter when she loved the people! ... It's so amazing how much help I got with this little thread and how much answers there are.
I think it's a kind of TRAIL MAGIC although I didn't hike any mile on the trail so far!
Thank you very, very much!!

snorz
09-05-2012, 13:59
There were quite a few hikers from Germany this year.If you could contact someone nearby,maybe you would get a better perspective on resupply,money, sidetrips,etc. Hope to see you on the trail in 2013! Snorz

ChinMusic
09-05-2012, 14:16
My favorite international this year was Trekking Pole.

I thought it odd that he didn't hike with poles...........maybe an ironic name?

Nope, he's from Poland.

1peanut
09-05-2012, 14:30
I am a middle aged woman that section hikes on the AT. I have never felt unsafe on the trail and have never had any problems. It is a absolutely beautiful trail and you will meet a lot of wonderful people along the way.

Longfan
09-05-2012, 16:42
[QUOTE=Skyrunner;1334070]So to my english :D ... I know sometimes I make mistakes but I hope it's not too bad. But I think if you would hear me talking english this would be really funny for you! :D[QUOTE]
I will be that most on this site could not do any better in German!!! I would also bet they would do MUCH worse!!!!!

Don H
09-05-2012, 18:18
Then clearly a lot of people on WB aren't armed. ;)

They are armed, it's just that we're not in range :)

Drybones
09-05-2012, 18:37

CM...That works for us in the south.

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 18:41
probably good advice, chin music. in the 70s i avoided east harlem and the south bronx the same way.

Drybones
09-05-2012, 18:54

ChinMusic...the entire "south" probably has less crime than Chicago does in a day...I believe there were 30 people killed in one day recently in Chicago, IL...and and please do avoid the south.

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 22:22
ChinMusic...the entire "south" probably has less crime than Chicago does in a day...I believe there were 30 people killed in one day recently in Chicago, IL...and and please do avoid the south.

Drybones, I think he is talking about the south side of Chicago, not the South as in Dixie :)

ChinMusic
09-05-2012, 22:30
Drybones, I think he is talking about the south side of Chicago, not the South as in Dixie :)

Uhhhh, I guess that wasn't obvious enough............LOL

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 22:32
Uhhhh, I guess that wasn't obvious enough............LOL

He made an honest mistake, it also made me go "huh?" for a second, till I figured it out. Don't start another civil war :D

ChinMusic
09-06-2012, 00:37
He made an honest mistake, it also made me go "huh?" for a second, till I figured it out. Don't start another civil war :D

Really? I did have the following post in this same thread.

Parts of Chicago are like a war zone, And yes, most survive the weekend. If the AT went through south Chicago I would blue blaze.

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 00:45

Some of us don't read with comprehension all the time. Some of us just read one post and that's it. I did read on down and understood the post, but maybe he didn't.

ChinMusic
09-06-2012, 00:50
Some of us don't read with comprehension all the time. Some of us just read one post and that's it. I did read on down and understood the post, but maybe he didn't.

I'm from Illinois but I would pick THE SOUTH over Chicago 7 days in the week............

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 00:53
I'm from Illinois but I would pick THE SOUTH over Chicago 7 days in the week............

I'm from the South, and I would too :D
Maybe PM the guy, and point him to this thread again...or don't go to Alabama anytime soon :D
just a goofy misunderstanding, no harm done

Drybones
09-06-2012, 08:16

My appologies CM...I took offence too quickly...it's like talking about family or your dog, family members can say all kinds off bad stuff about each other but really take offence when a stranger talks bad about them...sorry.

Llama Legs
09-06-2012, 08:35
wash your hands. often.

mudhead
09-06-2012, 10:57
You are from a city, so prob have some street smarts.

Big danger you will have is American beer.

turtle fast
09-06-2012, 13:14
American beer is like DAB from Dortmund. International hikers get more trail magic as they are more rare, we hiked with a Brit and he got twice as much as us. (not that we were looking for it, just thankful and noticed the difference).

Drybones
09-06-2012, 13:50
American beer is like DAB from Dortmund. International hikers get more trail magic as they are more rare, we hiked with a Brit and he got twice as much as us. (not that we were looking for it, just thankful and noticed the difference).

You just need to work on your ac'cent mate.

lemon b
09-07-2012, 08:04
Agree with turtlefast. Watch your footing. Falling is the biggest danger. Like anywhere else you may run into a few drunks and the like but thats just a matter of hiking on. Common sence works. Have a fun hike. Campbell Country is a thing of the past and even that wasn't bad.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 08:12
American beer is like making love in a canoe............:)
I sure am looking forward to some though.
Hope the earlier post about foreigners getting more trail magic comes through.
I'll be carrying a boxing kangaroo flag, suggest OP carries a German one.

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 10:17

Haha!! You're a funny guy Oz. I'll be watching out for the flag coming through Daleville. If I see you, I'll get out my trail magic bag -the one that says just for foreigners. :)

treesloth
09-07-2012, 11:45
LOL you know i dont even come on here to learn anymore, i just like to see what kind of BS Irishbastard/Roadside posted today..... the guy cracks me up

As for trail safty.... the trail is a pretty safe place, just avoid shady people like IB,

This caught my eye... "Irishbastard/Roadside"... are they the same person? Because I met a "Roadside" when I was hiking the trail in Pa... And he was on an attempted thru-hike.......

Hairbear
09-07-2012, 21:28
I'll be carrying a boxing kangaroo flag, suggest OP carries a German one.thats true every time id get caught drinking beer id get paddled.

Odd Man Out
09-08-2012, 20:12
Are we seeing the inevitable outcome of thread drift?

hikerboy57
09-08-2012, 20:26
Refer back to the thread drift thread for clarification.

Rasty
09-08-2012, 21:11
Refer back to the thread drift thread for clarification.

The question is it acceptable thread drift?

HikerMom58
09-08-2012, 21:15
The question is it acceptable thread drift?

Welp, i'm sure this isn't acceptable but- Hi Rasty!! Skywalker- forgive me? Ok thanks :)

scree
09-08-2012, 21:51

haha, some of our beers are a little less close to water. We have a rich and vibrant microbrew industry that puts out some mighty fine stuff - you should find stuff like Smuttynose up North and Abita down South that will hold its own. As for mass produced stuff, Sam Adams is decent enough and can be found anywhere. You won't find anything like a true Belgian produced here, but you can find plenty of true Belgians on the shelf at better markets, e.g., Chimay.