PDA

View Full Version : What is your pack weight?

Paws60
09-04-2012, 18:18
I have been working on getting my pack down in weight. Started off earlier this year around 42 lb. that's dry weight with tent, 2 days of food and two 32 oz bottles water. Now got it down to 32 lb. What's your pack weight loaded?

Drybones
09-04-2012, 18:30
Started out at about 35 pounds...down to about 22 lbs with 5 days of supplies in warmer weather and 25 in cold weather. Sure is nice not carrying the extra weight. Not there yet but closer than I was.

Hairbear
09-04-2012, 18:32
between 24 and 26 now was more thanks to all who helped me get there

10-K
09-04-2012, 18:33
It depends on the weather/season and what trail I'm hiking. I don't think you can really say, "My pack weight is..."

SouthMark
09-04-2012, 18:35
Four days in March with 4 days of food and 1 liter of water = 17.04 lbs. Two days in June with food and 1 liter of water = 10.59 lbs.

Maddog
09-04-2012, 18:39
I have been working on getting my pack down in weight. Started off earlier this year around 42 lb. that's dry weight with tent, 2 days of food and two 32 oz bottles water. Now got it down to 32 lb. What's your pack weight loaded?

I hiked the Dick's Creek Gap, GA to Deep Gap, NC section over the weekend and my total pack weight was 17lbs!:bananaMaddog:D

Wolf - 23000
09-04-2012, 18:45
There is no way anyone can really answer that question because there are a lot of factors that are left out - what time of year, where are you hiking, are you hiking with someone and finally what do I want from my hike. If I'm leaving like a normal Northbounder starting in Georgia in say March or April then I might leave with around 12 - 14 pounds including 5 days food/water. If I'm leaving for a Southbound hike then I'm going to leave with less weight around 10 - 12 pounds including 5 days food/water. I try not to go into towns to often because I find them a destraction from why I'm out there but that is just my style. If I'm hiking out West say on the PCT then I'm going to carry different gear compare to the East Coast. Also if I'm hiking with someone then I'm likely to carry extras to be more social.

My suggestion is this. Don't worry about what others carry - I never do. First figure out what you want to gain from your hike, do you want to hike with the crowd and hike Northbound or have a more sole trip such as a Southbound hike? Do you want to spend a lot of time in town or more time in the woods? Are you going to be hiking with someone? Couples and hiking partners always carry extras.

After you figure out how you want to hike the trail then figure out the best way to do the trail in your own style. If your planning on making a lot of town stops for example then you can figure on resupplying often, if you plan to hike short days then you will want a warmer sleeping bag/clothes.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

MuddyWaters
09-04-2012, 19:16
With only 2 days food, and 2 L water, I would be about 15 lbs most of the year.

coach lou
09-04-2012, 19:34
I never weigh it.....I might have a heart attack.

garlic08
09-04-2012, 19:37
That would be just over 15 pounds for me, too. My "base weight", without food and water, is just over eight pounds for most three season hiking.

Congratulations on lightening your load, and good luck if you decide to continue down that path. It took me four seasons and many miles to drop from a 40-pound pack to my current load. I've been happy with this pack for the last five seasons and I doubt it will change much any more.

buff_jeff
09-04-2012, 19:39
I'm down to about 28-30 lbs. fully-loaded with 5 days food and water. I could easily go another 3-5 lbs. lighter, but I don't have the money to spend on hiking gear right now, and I'm not in a position to do much hiking anyway, so it's not worth it.

kayak karl
09-04-2012, 19:41
With only 2 days food, and 2 L water, I would be about 15 lbs most of the year.
for a new person 7.5 lb pack with 3 lb food and 4.5 lb water might be hard to achieve. hes starting with 42 lbs. maybe you can break the 7.5 lb for them.

louisb
09-04-2012, 19:52
3 season base weight = 14 lbs.

--louis

Paws60
09-04-2012, 20:00
Thanks folks for your comments, some of you with the 15 to 20lb packs loaded, my hat Is off to you. I personaly can't see losing any more then 2 to 4 lb. Off my present pack weight. Hoping to start my first section on the AT from Springer Mt. to Fantana Dam by mid September would be very happy to get my pack down to 30lb.

Alligator
09-04-2012, 20:41
Thanks folks for your comments, some of you with the 15 to 20lb packs loaded, my hat Is off to you. I personaly can't see losing any more then 2 to 4 lb. Off my present pack weight. Hoping to start my first section on the AT from Springer Mt. to Fantana Dam by mid September would be very happy to get my pack down to 30lb.Post your pack list with weights and you will more than likely got lets of advice.

Del Q
09-04-2012, 21:05
Forget "base weight", I get that...............all in with food for X days and water, to me under 30lbs total is good, under 25 is excellent.............after spending some time on WB this weekend I went through my list again............I must be missing something.

...........and was on Nimblewill Nomad's site this weekend as well...............I have a long way to go.

Finally got to about 30lbs with 4-5 days of food and ample water (and an Lb. of "hooch" / booze)............again, I have some room to drop total weight.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:08
I never weigh it.....I might have a heart attack.

I've seen the pack in question, I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever carried it! :eek:

I will admit that extra coffee you were carrying was much appreciated.

10-K
09-04-2012, 21:09
There is no way anyone can really answer that question because there are a lot of factors that are left out - what time of year, where are you hiking, are you hiking with someone and finally what do I want from my hike. If I'm leaving like a normal Northbounder starting in Georgia in say March or April then I might leave with around 12 - 14 pounds including 5 days food/water. If I'm leaving for a Southbound hike then I'm going to leave with less weight around 10 - 12 pounds including 5 days food/water.

Wolf, you have more hiking experience than I'll probably ever have - may I ask what your gear list is that gives you 10-12 lbs with 5 days food and water?

I don't think I could get *just* 5 days food and water and come in under 12 lbs!

takethisbread
09-04-2012, 21:14
I have low volume pack. It forces difficult decisions. it simply won't hold more than 12-14lbs of stuff. It makes for great hiking and some tough camping.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:16
Thanks folks for your comments, some of you with the 15 to 20lb packs loaded, my hat Is off to you. I personaly can't see losing any more then 2 to 4 lb. Off my present pack weight. Hoping to start my first section on the AT from Springer Mt. to Fantana Dam by mid September would be very happy to get my pack down to 30lb.

A lot of it depends on personal preference and how you hike. It's a learning process to decide what you think it is worth carrying in your pack and what is not.

Some of these folks that carry 10-15lb packs love to hike and that's the only reason they're out there, these are the ones that are commonly walking for 12+ hours a day when they are on the trail.

Other people like to put in a slightly shorter day, get to camp at a reasonable time and relax, because of this we bring a few more creature comforts because we will be in camp for longer.

Still others are out on the trail to camp more than hike, a lot of these people only hike a couple miles a day going from campsite to campsite, but they sure have fun doing it. (also be sure to make friends with these folks, a lot of times they have real coffee with them ;))

Just remember, there's no wrong way!

coach lou
09-04-2012, 21:19
I've seen the pack in question, I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever carried it! :eek:

I will admit that extra coffee you were carrying was much appreciated.

Hey, that weekend I was carrying food for 4. Thank goodness I had found Via by then. That was a pretty good Tipi W imitation, just a journal though, no books:D
And I have replace the blue steel pot!

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 21:23
2 pieces of Mississippi Mud cake are not on thelist of 10 essentials,coach.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 21:25
With 3 days food and 2 liters of water, 19 pounds

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:25

Depends which list you're looking at.

coach lou
09-04-2012, 21:26

Do you see the problem with weighing your stuff? You can't bring what you need.

Buffalo Skipper
09-04-2012, 21:27
...Just remember, there's no wrong way!

The elf has it right. [OMG, did I just agree with Sarcasm the elf?!?]
Really, though. I hike with a bunch of friends and we each hike differently. Two prefer their comfort and carry a bit heavier load, while the other two are inbetween. I like to remain light footed, even if the others don't hike as far as I would like.

Find what works for you, and go for it.

MuddyWaters
09-04-2012, 22:32
for a new person 7.5 lb pack with 3 lb food and 4.5 lb water might be hard to achieve. hes starting with 42 lbs. maybe you can break the 7.5 lb for them.

Most of the difference is bringing stuff thats not really needed, or heavy forms of it.
Almost anyone can be in the 25 lb range if they try, even with a 5 lb heavy pack and heavy 3 lb sleeping bag.
Just have to get shelter wt down to about 1 lb, bring no extra clothing, nothing you dont need, and only lightest forms of what you do need.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 22:35
The elf has it right. [OMG, did I just agree with Sarcasm the elf?!?)

I thought everyone always agreed with me? :rolleyes:

MuddyWaters
09-04-2012, 22:59
Dont usually do this, but im gonna post whats in my pack base wt , (that I can remember right now), for trip with lows planned to mid 40s.

2 photon lights in snack ziplock - 0.7 oz
derma safe knife - 0.3 oz

raingear - driducks - 10oz

long underwear bottoms - 4oz
fleece beanie- 0.9 oz
mesh clothing bag/pillow case - 0.5 oz
Fleece hoodie - 11oz
spare socks - 1.75 oz
headnet - 0.35 oz

pack - 22 oz
liner - 1.1 0z
sleeping pad - 7.5 oz
40F quilt - 16.5 oz
shelter - 13 oz
groundsheet - 11.5 oz
stakes - 2.3 oz

medical/blister kit - 2.7 oz
soap - 0.5 oz
hydropel - 0.5 oz
hand sanitizer - 0.5 oz
map - .5 oz
credit card/money - 0.6 oz
compass - 0.9 oz
ziplocks - 0.3 oz
toothbrush/baking soda - 0.3 oz
sunscreen - 0.5 oz

aqua mira - 1.26 oz (consumeable mostly )
2 x 1L water bottles - 1.55 oz

2 cup cook pot/stove/windscreen - 2.06 oz
fuel bottle - 1.0 oz
bandana - 1 oz
foam coffee cup - 0.1 oz
rubber band 0.04 oz
freezer bag cozy -0.8 oz
rubber band 0.04 oz
spoon - 0.2 oz

cuben food bag - 0.85 oz
spectra bear line/ mini carabiner- 1.3 oz
odor resist liner - 1.05 oz
rubber band -0.04 oz

wet wipes or tp in a ziplock always go in mypants pocket
if i have a camera it goes in my pocket so its accessible to take pictures easily
if i have a cell phone, it also goes in my pocket

MuddyWaters
09-04-2012, 23:29
oops, groundsheet above is 1.5oz , not 11.5 oz. (polycryo).
also bring mini bic- 0.4 oz , matches and vaseline cottonballs in small ziplock- 0.4 oz.

only things that I change for colder weather to low 20s is heavier sleeping bag (+ 9 oz), heavier pack (+14oz), heavier sleeping pad (+10oz), glove liners (+1oz), puffy jacket (+12oz), down booties (+2 oz),and heavier long john bottoms (+2.5 oz).

Deacon
09-05-2012, 06:41
After the time spent in the Long Trail this summer, I decide to not cook anything which allowed me to save the weight of a stove, pot and fuel.

So now my 3-season base weight is 8.9 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzJacko
09-05-2012, 06:58
I'll let you know my AT pack weight in my (yet to be started) trail journal next March when I weigh it at the start.
Different trail, different needs but my pack weight with everything weighed between 28 and 44 pounds on my 2011 Bibbulmun hike. I've got some lighter stuff since then.
I work on what weight I carry that makes me uncomfortable. With my ULA Circuit thats about 35 pounds.
I'm happy with 35 pounds or less. I don't fuss about how much less.
Get the lightest tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat that you are comfortable with.
Get the lightest stove/pot combo that you're happy with.
Don't carry any heavy clothing - layer lighter clothes instead (unless you're hiking in real cold stuff).
If you do all this and your pack with 3-4 days food is definitely less than 40 pounds then, and ONLY then, get a lighter pack.
If it isn't you need to stack up everything not mentioned above and REALLY look at it all.

Paws60
09-05-2012, 08:18
Thanks Muddywaters, your pack list is a good reference point. I've weighed my pack items more then I can count. My dry weight is down to 26lb then add water 2/32 L and food at 1.5 lb per day for Three days I'm still around the 35lb. I'm going to weigh items and post it latter today.

Tharwood
09-05-2012, 08:39
3 Season base weight.. 11.5 lbs

MuddyWaters
09-05-2012, 08:42
Im certainly not smart enough to figure out this light weight stuff out on my own.

Others have figured it out, like Ryan Jordan, Andrew Skurka, the Backpacking Light community, and have it down to a science, and have shared it .

Its really all about confidence that you can stay warm enough, dry enough, comfortable enough, and safe enough with only a specific limited set of items, and limited amounts of them, ie no more than you actually need. Its about getting over fears.

My epiphany came when my son and I switched to trail running shoes and were hiking in Arkansas. We spent 30 min going up and down a creek looking for a dry place to cross. Finally tried getting across some stones, slipped and went in. Feet were soaked. For the next 30 miles we laughed about it. How could we have been so scared before to get our feet wet? No problems at all. After that, intentionally walked thru water every chance we got, which was a couple times per mile, just to cool down.

I figured the guys on BPL actually knew something, and I should pay attention.

Majortrauma
09-05-2012, 09:01
Four days in March with 4 days of food and 1 liter of water = 17.04 lbs. Two days in June with food and 1 liter of water = 10.59 lbs.
OK, you definitely piqued my curiosity. Obviously you're a hammock camper but 10.59 lbs is remarkable at least in my opinion.
Can you share here or PM me and explain how you did that?
Thanks

colorado_rob
09-05-2012, 09:05
... Its about getting over fears... good point. another point a lot of folks just cannot get into their heads: everything weighs something. I would suggest getting an accurate postal scale and weigh all of your stuff, even your toothbrush.

One example of useless, seemingly trivial weight: NALGENE BOTTLES. the Lexan ones weigh over 6 ounces. Soda bottles, I use Gatorade bottles, weigh 1.6 ounces. Carry three of these and you save nearly a pound. I see folks out there with 3mm cord for hanging food. 1.5mm cord is plenty strong enough. Little stuff like that really adds up.

I'm at 11-14 pounds base weight, depending on season and how much camera gear I carry. Not ultralight by a lot of standards, but it means 4 day outings start with low-20's pounds total pack weight. I use a fast, efficient canister stove (8.8 oz incl pot), std double wall tent (2lb, 5 oz), double sleeping pad (15oz) and warm, comfy sleeping bag (20 deg, 1lb 9oz). I'm not willing to give up these comforts. You don't have to to be relatively light.

It is really, really nice to have the freedom to take off into the woods for four days, fully equipped, and barely even notice that you have a pack on your back. I call this my personal "Freedom of the Hills" (after a famous mountaineering book, what some call The Bible).

Paws60
09-05-2012, 11:26
OK, I did it, took the time this morning and reweighed all item in my pack. I'm starting another post with the list you can comment on the list there.

SouthMark
09-05-2012, 12:18
OK, you definitely piqued my curiosity. Obviously you're a hammock camper but 10.59 lbs is remarkable at least in my opinion.
Can you share here or PM me and explain how you did that?
Thanks

Item,Ounces,Grams

Packing,,
GG Murmur,7.3,206
GG Shoulder Strap Pocket,0.6,17
GG Pack Liner ,1.4,39

Shelter,,
ZPacks 8x10 Cuben Tarp w/Lines,9.2,260
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3,8
Cuben Stake Bag,0.1,2

Sleep,,
WB Traveler w/Triangles,7.9,223
LeighLo 2/3 Summer UQ w/Suspension,10.7,303
Tree Huggers,2.3,65
HUG Bug Net,3.6,102
Summer DIY Top Quilt,11,311

Cooking,,
Bear Bag Kit,1.4,39
Gallon Ziplock Bag,0.3,8
9 X10 OP Sack,0.5,14
Gallon Ziplock Trash Bag,0.4,11
Cuben Food Bag,0.9,25
Long Handled Titanium Spoon,0.4,11
Propel Bottle,1.2,34
9 X10 OP Sack,0.5,14
9 X10 OP Sack,0.5,14
Heinekin Esbit Kitchen,3.6,102

Clothing,,
Nylon Running Shorts,5.4,153
Integral Designs Rain Cape,5,141
ZPacks Cuben RainKilt,1.6,45
Badanna,1.1,31
Cuben Clothing Bag,0.4,11
Smart Wool Liner Socks,1.2,34
Thermawool LS Top,7.6,215

Other,,
Photon LED Light,0.3,8
Digital Thermometer,1,28
S Biner,0.2,5
Small Swiss Army Knife,0.8,22
Emergency Whistle,0.4,11
Aqua Mira,1.4,39
First Aid Kit,1.9,53
Emergency and Repair,1.3,36
Hygene,1.8,51
Toilet,1.2,34
Small Cuben Stuff Sack,0.2,5
GG Sit Pad/Pack Back,1.5,42

Consumables,,
Food per Day,17,481
Food per Day,17,481
Water 1 Liter,36.3,1029

TOTAL BASE PACK,6.2,0
TOTAL CONSUMABLES,4.39,0
TOTAL PACK,10.59,0

hikingshoes
09-05-2012, 13:00
3days of food, 2L of H2O= 25lbs not bad since I started back hiking my pack was45_50lbs

glaux
09-05-2012, 13:48
I got down to 26 pounds, with water and enough food for 5 days (I hike slow, with a bad knee, so I wanted to give myself time to go at a snail's pace). This is for warm weather, and skipping my stove, so I know I could do so much better. Still, I really wanted my paperback book, and a few other luxuries (more duct tape than I needed).

I ran into a lot of folks carrying a heck of a lot more that me. I think my dry trail mix was just as tasty (and way more nutritious) than their insta-meals, and there was nothing I wish I'd had that I forgot. A couple guys out for their first time with 50 pound packs were just miserable. But I was at the right weight that my pack didn't feel heavy, didn't throw me off balance, didn't have to struggle to get it up and on. (I am a short female type person, too, so keeping a low weight matters.)

It helped me a lot to have read forums like this. Using gatorade bottles instead of Nalgene, and the cheap emergency poncho instead of a more durable raingear or pack cover (worked on both me and the pack, and just the pack), wearing trail runners instead of boots, cutting the handle off my toothbrush, ALL of it really helped me to have a good time. I'm glad to have this as a resource.

Wolf - 23000
09-05-2012, 17:05
Im certainly not smart enough to figure out this light weight stuff out on my own.

Others have figured it out, like Ryan Jordan, Andrew Skurka, the Backpacking Light community, and have it down to a science, and have shared it .

Its really all about confidence that you can stay warm enough, dry enough, comfortable enough, and safe enough with only a specific limited set of items, and limited amounts of them, ie no more than you actually need. Its about getting over fears.

My epiphany came when my son and I switched to trail running shoes and were hiking in Arkansas. We spent 30 min going up and down a creek looking for a dry place to cross. Finally tried getting across some stones, slipped and went in. Feet were soaked. For the next 30 miles we laughed about it. How could we have been so scared before to get our feet wet? No problems at all. After that, intentionally walked thru water every chance we got, which was a couple times per mile, just to cool down.

I figured the guys on BPL actually knew something, and I should pay attention.

It is also about how you hike. For example, I said before couples for example always carry more than a single hiker. There nothing wrong with hiking with someone but my point being is you are going to use different equipment compare to someone hiking alone.

Also knowing what to look for and what to look out for. For example, after being out there for a while you can feel the front come in and can tell better than the radio if you are going to be hit with a good storm or not. The next step knowing what to look for. A light rain can be your best friend. It can tell you were some of the places that are going to turn into mud pits while others are keep some what dry. Also looking at what side of the mountain you want to camp on can make a different. Out west if you know a front is coming in on the west side, then you are normal better off camping on the east side.

It is just simple things like this that help you travel lighter and become more in tune with nature.

Wolf

jakedatc
09-05-2012, 17:28
12-14lb base weight depending on the season.

my fall list. things i change in the summer are 50F quilt instead of sleeping bag, trade out the puffy for either a sweater or nothing depending on the temps expected
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9476

10-K
09-05-2012, 17:54
I posted my gear list in one of the long trail threads and it was probably in the 12 lb range as well.

SouthMark
09-05-2012, 18:24
A quote that I read somewhere… "The heavier my pack the more I like to camp, the light my pack the more I like to hike".

Josh Calhoun
09-06-2012, 09:41
i am at 31 lbs with 7 lbs of food and 64 oz of water. of course i could cut the food down a few lbs and i could leave a couple things at home. but i like my setup

rusty bumper
09-07-2012, 08:15
I left Springer in 2011 with a pack weighing 24 lbs...that included 3 days of food, 1 liter of water and my cool weather clothing.

Paws60
09-07-2012, 10:51
Thanks folks for all your input. I'm getting closer to my Springer Mt start date of September 20. finding myself waffling back and fourth on what to bring manly do to my pack weight. took out a few items got it down to 37lbs. just found out that you do not need hot water to make those dehydrated meals and not a must am coffee person. so I'm ditching my jetblow canisters of fuel to save another 3lbs now down to 34lbs. the radio, camp chair our already out. after going through my maps and guild books it seems that the trail is marked pretty well should have no problem figuring out were i am on the trail. will bring along a small hand held compass for those times i go off trail. now thinking of taking out the GPS with its extra batteries will save another 1lb now down to 33lbs total weight loaded pack with 64floz and 4 days of food. would like to still get down to 30? set up 3 food drops many for the dog food her pack is down to 8lbs that's with 16oz of water and 4 days of food 3 meals a day. her weight is 65lbs so 8lbs comes into her perimeters for caring weight. Found it easier to have mail food drop to shuttle people then to a post office do their hours. my shuttle people can deliver my parages to me on the trail any time need for between $5 or $10 one drop at a campground right on the trail. Again my only concern is the pack weight!!!!!!!

Paws60
09-07-2012, 11:09
Just started my Journal on "Springer to Fantana 2012" you can follow my quest Will I make it or not???????? 15 days to go.

jakedatc
09-07-2012, 12:02
ust found out that you do not need hot water to make those dehydrated meals and not a must am coffee person. so I'm ditching my jetblow canisters of fuel

I would not try to eat those things with cold water... for one they will not rehydrate as well and they will probably be gross.

there are other ways of getting lighter. taking a smaller canister stove and a .7-.9L Ti pot for example gives you hot water at a light weight. (1 100g canister lasted me over 2 weeks on the LT with just boiling 1-1.5 cups of water per night for my pasta sides, rice sides, instant potatos, etc much cheaper and calorie dense than the mtn house meal type things.

SouthMark
09-07-2012, 14:09
Actually you do not even need a stove. A number of hikers have completed the trail stove less. A family of five just finished the JMT without a stove. Do a stoveless backpacking search on google for some ideas. I met a hiker from New Jersey in the 100 mile wilderness that was hiking without a stove or pot. He had completed the trail and was hiking the trail back to New Jersey.

jakedatc
09-07-2012, 14:20
You don't need a stove if you're eating food that doesn't need cooking. Would you want to eat cold semi dehydrated pasta, rice, chili, beans etc? blech...

Montana AT05
09-07-2012, 20:11
What's your pack weight loaded?

I dunno, ask my sherpa.

q-tip
09-07-2012, 20:18
3 season---14-15 lbs. + food & water.

Paws60
09-07-2012, 21:39
I tried the cold water approach this morning on my instant oatmeal, no milk just cold water mixed it all up, I liked it!! My brother in-law just returned from Iraq and Afghani who eat these things for a year said cold/warm water is fine. they've all been per cooked and dehydrated your just adding liquid back into it. To save three pounds I'll make do besides out of each of my 5 day food resupply only 3 dinners are with the pre mixed meals.

RIBeth
09-09-2012, 09:49
He had caterers LOL but he has eaten the MRIS before ..lol

I tried the cold water approach this morning on my instant oatmeal, no milk just cold water mixed it all up, I liked it!! My brother in-law just returned from Iraq and Afghani who eat these things for a year said cold/warm water is fine. they've all been per cooked and dehydrated your just adding liquid back into it. To save three pounds I'll make do besides out of each of my 5 day food resupply only 3 dinners are with the pre mixed meals.

Wolf - 23000
09-09-2012, 13:56
This is one of the reasons why I don't like gear list or measure someone base on gear weight. Yes you can hike the AT without a stove but it doesn't save you any weight. What you save on the stove, you make up with heavier food. Freeze Dry food you can eat by just adding water but over the long haul you won't be able to survive on them - they don't have the calories or the need vitamins.
What many hikers over look is a stove can be part of your first aid kit. In extreme cold weather when your body is cold, your stove can be used to heat up hot water to warm you up. One of the faults with relying on a sleeping bag or clothes is they work by trap your body heat in while keep the outside elements out. If your body is cold already it is going to take a long time to regain your warmth. A stove can be used to replace that heat. Without it you won’t have a heat source.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like gear list or measure someone base on gear weight. Yes you can hike the AT without a stove but it doesn't save you any weight. What you save on the stove, you make up with heavier food. Freeze Dry food you can eat by just adding water but over the long haul you won't be able to survive on them - they don't have the calories or the need vitamins.
What many hikers over look is a stove can be part of your first aid kit. In extreme cold weather when your body is cold, your stove can be used to heat up hot water to warm you up. One of the faults with relying on a sleeping bag or clothes is they work by trap your body heat in while keep the outside elements out. If your body is cold already it is going to take a long time to regain your warmth. A stove can be used to replace that heat. Without it you won’t have a heat source.

Wolf

colorado_rob
09-09-2012, 14:12
Not trying to be ornery on the "no-cook" thing, but for myself, I really look forward to hot beverages both in the evening (cocoa, tea) and mornings (coffee!). I could easily get by w/o cooking food, but I definitely need my hot beverages. The weight cost? For my system, it's a Jetboil sol-titanium, 8.8 ounces including the stove and pot, yeah heavy compared to an alcohol setup, but extremely efficient for fuel. One 7.5 ounce canister that has 4 oz of actual fuel in it lasts for 7 days including cooking food. This is approximately 21-ish boils of 2.5-3 cups each. I'm not making these numbers up or exaggerating a bit, I've kept careful records since I bought this little stove back in April. If you have to go a week between re-supply, I think this is as efficient as possible, except for of course a wood burner system where you don't carry any fuel. For shorter periods, between resupply, 3-4 days, probably an Alchie setup is as good or slightly better, and of course alcohol fuel is more universally available.

Anyway, I gotta have hot drinks morning and night, and the occasional hot meal (soup, mac and cheese, whatever). Just my way, not trying to knock others'.

Paws60
09-09-2012, 15:28
I'm heading out on the trail late September so the temperatures should not be an issue. No need or must for hot beverages or meals. To day tried the Coleman Southwest Chile instants meal got this one from Walmart. I used warm water from the tap but out on the trail ill use my hand held solar shower that gets the water to 90 degrees. First thing the solar shower will be used as a water bladder and as a warm water shower and warm water food prep. So today tried the warm water on the Chile and it was good, took a bit longer for the water to sock in with the Chile. Just another plus for not having to take a cooking system along not only saving weight but space as well the one quart solar hand held shower bag weights 3 oz.

jakedatc
09-09-2012, 16:05
I'm heading out on the trail late September so the temperatures should not be an issue. No need or must for hot beverages or meals. To day tried the Coleman Southwest Chile instants meal got this one from Walmart. I used warm water from the tap but out on the trail ill use my hand held solar shower that gets the water to 90 degrees. First thing the solar shower will be used as a water bladder and as a warm water shower and warm water food prep. So today tried the warm water on the Chile and it was good, took a bit longer for the water to sock in with the Chile. Just another plus for not having to take a cooking system along not only saving weight but space as well the one quart solar hand held shower bag weights 3 oz.

except that you have to carry 1qt of water (2lb) and somehow have it get sun to warm up. not really a simpler or lighter way to go.

boil water only ul system... 4oz Ti .7L pot, <1oz cat stove, 1oz/boil alcohol

Paws60
09-09-2012, 18:56
Going out for 5 or more days mean more fuel and lose space in pack. My 5 day dinner plan is 2 or 3 instant meals. I'm carrying 64oz of water anyway. The solar bladder will be the dogs water so no extra space or weight issues. This will probably only work during mild seasons during the colder months yes ill probably bring the jetboil. This is just a two week test I may have a different thought later.

Wolf - 23000
09-09-2012, 21:18
Paws60,

What you are carrying just in 64oz water weight is more than my entire gear. You’re not saving any weigh and in an emergency such as a cold rain, your solar bladder is not going to do you any good at all. Hike your own hike but my advice is to carry a stove.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
09-09-2012, 21:18
Paws60,

What you are carrying just in 64oz water weight is more than my entire gear. You’re not saving any weigh and in an emergency such as a cold rain, your solar bladder is not going to do you any good at all. Hike your own hike but my advice is to carry a stove.

Wolf

Son of Easy One
09-10-2012, 12:16
According to Easy One, the oldest thru hiker of the AT at 81 (2004), his pack weight was 36 lbs
which included 10-14 days food supply.

RED-DOG
09-10-2012, 12:52
30 lbs that's with 6 days of food and a 20 degree sleeping bag.

rich5665
09-11-2012, 10:10
Like RED-DOG, my pack is currently at 30lbs with 6 days of food and gear. I've been working on lightening the load.

Items to be swapped out in order of priority.
1 - Eddie Bauer Poncho - 20.7oz
2 - 8x10 Poly tarp - 28oz
3 - 20 deg. sleeping bag - 48oz

these three items total ~ 6lbs of weight that I hope to reduce in the next couple of weeks

I'm still weighing items and entering them into my spread sheet. My goal get the gear down then upgrade 4lb pack to an ultralight pack

Zipper
09-11-2012, 23:19
I have a base weight of around 18 pounds I think. I still carry extra warm clothes that I rarely need, but that's how I roll. Loaded for six days (and I never ever run out of food), my pack with food and water (I don't carry more than two small Gatorades at a time for most parts of the AT - I camel up at water sources) I'm almost always just under 30 pounds or just over. This was true for my entire thru hike. I think in the fall (the southbound part of my flip-flop) I may have gone up closer to 32 because I was carrying additional luxury items, but it all worked out. I feel like I had a good mix of lightweight gear but plenty of goodies. I didn't feel like I was making sacrifices. I'm not a gear head. And right now I don't (yet) own anything made of cuben fiber.

Different Socks
09-12-2012, 23:58
There is no way anyone can really answer that question because there are a lot of factors that are left out - what time of year, where are you hiking, are you hiking with someone and finally what do I want from my hike. If I'm leaving like a normal Northbounder starting in Georgia in say March or April then I might leave with around 12 - 14 pounds including 5 days food/water. If I'm leaving for a Southbound hike then I'm going to leave with less weight around 10 - 12 pounds including 5 days food/water. I try not to go into towns to often because I find them a destraction from why I'm out there but that is just my style. If I'm hiking out West say on the PCT then I'm going to carry different gear compare to the East Coast. Also if I'm hiking with someone then I'm likely to carry extras to be more social.

My suggestion is this. Don't worry about what others carry - I never do. First figure out what you want to gain from your hike, do you want to hike with the crowd and hike Northbound or have a more sole trip such as a Southbound hike? Do you want to spend a lot of time in town or more time in the woods? Are you going to be hiking with someone? Couples and hiking partners always carry extras.

After you figure out how you want to hike the trail then figure out the best way to do the trail in your own style. If your planning on making a lot of town stops for example then you can figure on resupplying often, if you plan to hike short days then you will want a warmer sleeping bag/clothes.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

How do you figure 12--14 pounds with food and water?

1 qt water--2 pounds
5 days of food/1.5 pounds per day--7.5 pounds

Total--9.5 pounds

So all remaining gear and pack weighs only 4.5 pounds!!?? Say what?? How is that possible??

kayak karl
09-13-2012, 00:00
it is possible. a friend of mine hiked with him. he's not lying. :)

Different Socks
09-13-2012, 00:30
I guess he saves weight by going stoveless.

Firefighter503
09-13-2012, 04:48
My hike coming up in late October (2 night/3 day in VA) will probably be about 13 lbs with food/water/fuel to start. Thats with a base weight of about 8.2 lbs.

pyroman53
09-13-2012, 09:57
if you plan to hike short days then you will want a warmer sleeping bag/clothes.

Wolf

I get the warmer clothes cause you'll be sitting around a lot. Why the warmer sleeping bag? I guess one reason would be if making miles is the goal you might be willing to shiver a bit and maybe give more thought to campsite selection (hike high, sleep low) in an effort to cut pack weight?? Is there another reason?

Wolf - 23000
09-13-2012, 10:41
I get the warmer clothes cause you'll be sitting around a lot. Why the warmer sleeping bag? I guess one reason would be if making miles is the goal you might be willing to shiver a bit and maybe give more thought to campsite selection (hike high, sleep low) in an effort to cut pack weight?? Is there another reason?

When you stop around 5:00 p.m. for example which many hikers do to cook dinner, make camp, etc. During that time your body cools down.
A sleeping bag works by trapping your body heat inside while keeping the outside elements out. If you are not producing that much heat, you will need a warmer sleeping bag compare to someone who hikes late and jumps in their sleeping bag right away to sleep.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
09-13-2012, 10:55
How do you figure 12--14 pounds with food and water?

1 qt water--2 pounds
5 days of food/1.5 pounds per day--7.5 pounds

Total--9.5 pounds

So all remaining gear and pack weighs only 4.5 pounds!!?? Say what?? How is that possible??

Well my gear doesn't weight 4.5 pounds. It weight is less. So what your point? This is also not the 1970s. Things are a lot lighter now.

Wolf

SouthMark
09-13-2012, 11:05
My SUL gear list is 4.61 lbs base weight. I usually carry only 20 oz of water which weighs 1 lb 4 oz. My food hovers around 1.25 pounds per day and I use esbit for cooking.

2/3 qt of water = 1.25 pounds
5 days of food/1.25 pounds per day = 6.25 pounds

Subtotal = 7.5 pounds
Base Pack Weight = 4.61 pounds

TOTAL = 12.11 pounds

Drybones
09-13-2012, 11:25
My SUL gear list is 4.61 lbs base weight. I usually carry only 20 oz of water which weighs 1 lb 4 oz. My food hovers around 1.25 pounds per day and I use esbit for cooking.

2/3 qt of water = 1.25 pounds
5 days of food/1.25 pounds per day = 6.25 pounds

Subtotal = 7.5 pounds
Base Pack Weight = 4.61 pounds

TOTAL = 12.11 pounds

Southmark...what's the breakdown od the 4.61 base weight? Thanks.

pyroman53
09-13-2012, 14:16
thx wolf! Makes sense.

Wolf - 23000
09-13-2012, 20:21
I guess he saves weight by going stoveless.

Different Socks,

Please don't make irresponsible statements. I don't recall ever hiking with you, and it has been several years sense I've give any classes on backpacking. I don't recommend anyone go without a stove because of safety. And yes I normal carry a stove.

Wolf

SouthMark
09-13-2012, 20:57
Southmark...what's the breakdown od the 4.61 base weight? Thanks.

Packing,,
GG Murmur,7.3
GG Nightlight Sleeping Pad/Pack Back,2.5
Zpack Cuben Shoulder Pocket,0.3
GG Pack Liner ,1.4

Shelter,,
ZPacks 8x10 Cuben Tarp w/Lines,9.2
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Cuben Stake Bag,0.1

Sleep,,
Down Socks,2.7
Silk LS Top,2.7
JRB Stealth UQ/TQ,15.8

Cooking,,
Propel Bottle,1.2
Nalgene Cantene 32 Oz,2.3
Long Handled Titanium Spoon,0.4
Cuben Food Bag,0.9
Wing Stove Esbit Kitchen,4.9

Clothing,,
MEC Polartech Hoodie,10.8
Black Rock Down Beenie,1.0
Smart Wool Buff,1.7
Smart Wool Liner Socks,1.2
ZPacks Cuben RainKilt,1.6
Integral Designs Rain Cape,5.0

Papa D
09-13-2012, 21:45
My full pack weight in summer is about 25 pounds which includes about 8-9 pounds of food and water. In winter, it is about 29 pounds with the same food and water load. If I'm really trying to be super light, I can reduce this in summer into the teens. In the winter, I err on the side of dry, warm, and fed.

Drybones
09-13-2012, 22:11
Packing,,
GG Murmur,7.3
GG Nightlight Sleeping Pad/Pack Back,2.5
Zpack Cuben Shoulder Pocket,0.3
GG Pack Liner ,1.4

Shelter,,
ZPacks 8x10 Cuben Tarp w/Lines,9.2
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Shepherds Hook Stake,0.3
Cuben Stake Bag,0.1

Sleep,,
Down Socks,2.7
Silk LS Top,2.7
JRB Stealth UQ/TQ,15.8

Cooking,,
Propel Bottle,1.2
Nalgene Cantene 32 Oz,2.3
Long Handled Titanium Spoon,0.4
Cuben Food Bag,0.9
Wing Stove Esbit Kitchen,4.9

Clothing,,
MEC Polartech Hoodie,10.8
Black Rock Down Beenie,1.0
Smart Wool Buff,1.7
Smart Wool Liner Socks,1.2
ZPacks Cuben RainKilt,1.6
Integral Designs Rain Cape,5.0

Southmark...thanks for the breakdown...how cold can you go with this set up?

SouthMark
09-13-2012, 23:13
Southmark...thanks for the breakdown...how cold can you go with this set up?
I prefer to use this when it is not expected to get lower than around 45º-50º. I did get caught one night with a low of 34º and before daylight I was uncomfortably cold. I would like to note that the JRB Stealth quilt which i s rated to 45º has a slit in the center for your head and I wear it around camp as a poncho instead of a puffy jacket. Of course what is not included in the list are the pants and shirt worn while hiking that can also be worn along with all my other clothes including rain gear for extra warmth while sleeping. My average base weight for most trips is more like 6.2 ponds but I wanted to see if I could go below 5 pounds. I'm a hammock camper normally and so I was not as comfortable sleeping on the ground with this set up. My pack weight for the Mahoosucs in August with hammock was 5.64 pounds.

Different Socks
09-14-2012, 00:53
Different Socks,

Please don't make irresponsible statements. I don't recall ever hiking with you, and it has been several years sense I've give any classes on backpacking. I don't recommend anyone go without a stove because of safety. And yes I normal carry a stove.

Wolf

Wasn't making irresponsible statements. It was an honest question. I really wanna know how you can get by carrying everything but food/water that weighs less than 4.5 pounds.

Different Socks
09-14-2012, 00:58
Wasn't making irresponsible statements. It was an honest question. I really wanna know how you can get by carrying everything but food/water that weighs less than 4.5 pounds.

I mean the pack must weigh ounces, the bag weighs ounces, then there is clothing, tent or tarp, camp shoes, sleeping pad, pullover, rain gear, camera, and maybe afew other things. And then there's the weight of the pack.
Seriously, I wanna know how you do it. Is this the weight for only fair weather and good temp days?

Wolf - 23000
09-14-2012, 15:29
I mean the pack must weigh ounces, the bag weighs ounces, then there is clothing, tent or tarp, camp shoes, sleeping pad, pullover, rain gear, camera, and maybe afew other things. And then there's the weight of the pack.
Seriously, I wanna know how you do it. Is this the weight for only fair weather and good temp days?

Well I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of backpacking because light weight backpacking under the 5 pound mark was done over 20 years ago – gear weight. The gear now, is even lighter.

Lightweight backpacking starts off with knowing how your equipment works and how to fully use it. An example would be how many times have you seen people that had their pack on wrong – need to be adjusted? Or know to air out their sleeping bag.

It is just simple things like this that many hikers either don’t know or just simple don’t care.

Wolf

jakedatc
09-14-2012, 15:38
Well I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of backpacking because light weight backpacking under the 5 pound mark was done over 20 years ago – gear weight. The gear now, is even lighter.

Lightweight backpacking starts off with knowing how your equipment works and how to fully use it. An example would be how many times have you seen people that had their pack on wrong – need to be adjusted? Or know to air out their sleeping bag.

It is just simple things like this that many hikers either don’t know or just simple don’t care.

Wolf

you could just post a sample list instead of being snarky. Even today sub 5lb baseweight is quite an achievement and usually involves small tarps, daypack size bags, and an array of cuben fiber.
Jamie Shortt's visual pack list of his sub5lb baseweight (which has been made even lighter.. guy has awesome gear, mostly homemade)
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13855

Sman
09-14-2012, 15:56
Never worried about pack weight, but as I get older it does seem to be more important. I have a old pack 20yrs I think it 5lb empty. LOL

SouthMark
09-14-2012, 16:42
My lightest backpack weighs 3.4 oz, next up is one that weighs 7.3 oz. My winter pack weighs 24.9 oz. It's not rocket science.

nu2hike
09-15-2012, 11:02
Last year my pack for 5 days total weight was 26 lbs.. This year for the same number of days my pack weighs in at 21lbs! I plan to get it even lighter! I've purchased a cuben fiber tarp and stuff sacks, lighter hammock and realized that carrying 1 1/2 lbs per day of food was WAY too much for me! I'm a section hiker & there's no way I can eat that much. If I was thru hiking my appetite might support that amount of food but being out 5-6 days the hunger just doesn't kick in!
Last year I gave away approximately 2 days of food to some hungry BS that we're very happy to have it!!!
We each have different requirements for comfort as well as nutrition! HYOH!

swjohnsey
09-16-2012, 08:32
I never carried more than 20 lbs on my just completed thru with a quart of water and 4 days food. Just a heads up, I used cuben fiber stuff sacks, dry bag and pack cover from Z-pack. Pack cover held up and is still good. Stuff sacks and dry bag are in tatters. I replaced 'em all at Monson with more cuben. I carry about 2lbs/day of food for about 3,000 calories/day.

Khike
09-16-2012, 20:15
Hey, check this out. My wife did this on Excel a few years ago. I use it all the time before a hike. It is not in color or in boxes like on my program but this is a copy of what I see for a 6 day hike. I weigh stuff and enter the wgt of one of each item in first column. Then in second column put how many of the first column I want to take and it totals in the third column. So if I click 2 Chili Mac it totals 12 oz in last column. Get it? Pretty cool. I really do use it. Gives me a good idea of my end wgt. Kind of anal, I guess. But helpful.

Virtual Backpack

Basic Four

Enter # ozs

Enter Qty

Total ozs

Osprey Aether 60 Pack

WM Megalite Down Bag

Rainbow 2 Tent

Prolite 4 Sleeping Pad

Contrail Tent

Neo Air Large

GoLite Quest

Exos 46 large

Neo Air Regular

Oprey Aether 60 without the lid!

Clothing

Plastic Bag

ExOfficio Underwear

Socks & liner socks

Titanium pot

Long sleeve blue 'r' shirt

Short sleeve blue nordic trac shirt

Thermal Capilene Bottoms

Thermal Capilene top

Black ski pants

Poncho

Tent Footprint

Montbell ThermaWrap Jacket

Propane fuel - new

Green grey long sleeve shirt

Pack cover

Stove-Pocket Rocket

Nalgene bottle

Gaiters

Epic Rain Jacket

Cohesion Rain Pant

Grey Sock Hat

Camp bucket

Pillow

North Face convertible pants

1- 8 Pk of Wipes

Kahr 9mm

Camp towel

Crocs

Miscellaneous

Ditty bag

Petzel Headlamp

CamelBack 3L Bladder

CamelBack 3L Bladder -Full

CamelBack 3l Bladder with 2liters

Camelback 3l Bladder with 1liter

Nutrition

Gorp-8oz per day

Snickers Bar

Cliff Bar

Lemonade 1 pk

Water 1 ltr Aquafina btl.

Chicken stew x 1 (6oz each)

Chili mac x 1 (6oz each)

Ramen Noodle x 1 (3oz each)

Coffee Via-15 packs

Sugar per tbsp

Cremora per tbsp

Oatmeal 1 pack

PopTarts 1 pack of 2-400 cal

Oatmeal To Go Bar-220 cal

MH Scrambled Eggs and Ham

MH Blueberry Crumble

Creamora 8- 8tsp servings

Sugar 8- 4tsp servings

precooked Bacon 1pk

Packit Gourmet each approx.

Chorizo 1 pk of 2 sausages

Spam Singles

Cheese Grits

Knorr Pasta side,2c,460cal total

Knorr Rice side,2.5c,550cal total

Idahoan taters,2cups,220cal total

TOTAL OUNCES

TOTAL POUNDS

Khike
09-16-2012, 20:23
Yeah, it works well. She named it the Virtual Backpack. Now you can see what kind of crap I eat on the trail. kevin

Wolf - 23000
09-17-2012, 10:38
you could just post a sample list instead of being snarky. Even today sub 5lb baseweight is quite an achievement and usually involves small tarps, daypack size bags, and an array of cuben fiber.
Jamie Shortt's visual pack list of his sub5lb baseweight (which has been made even lighter.. guy has awesome gear, mostly homemade)
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13855

jakedatc,

There is no snarky. Only stating the fact there are some hikers who don't have that much hiking experience - we all start off some time including myself. The different is someone who has been backpacking for some time is going to know what they need and what extras they are carrying. One hiker extra might be another hikers life-line. When I first started backpacking back in 1989, I thought I needed a hatchet. That didn't last long after I carried it 100 miles to Monson. After about two months of hiking is when I was able to break 5 pound barracade. All it took was just looking at how things worked together and figure out what worked for my hiking style.

As for gear-list, gear-list don't work. They never have. There are a number of gear list out there but yet still hikers are going to carry what they want. Bear Grylls shows everything he carrys but I don't see many hikers trying to follow his advise. Even your link, what many hikers I'm sure miss is Jamie was only out for a weekend. Well going out on a weekend hike it is easy to carry 4.15 pounds - I'm surprise he wasn't carry less. On a weekend hike you can pick and choose what weekend you are going out and if you are going to have good whether or bad. If you know you are going to have good whether then you are not going to need that much. A thru-hiker can't do that because they are going to be hit with some bad weather at some point into their hike.

Wolf

jakedatc
09-18-2012, 00:25
If you noted, it rained and hailed and got pretty cold on Jamie's weekend. pretty nasty weather regardless of the days out. He had a tarp, bivy, down quilt, down puffy, etc plenty of gear to be prepared for any weather thrown at him. for a thru hike he'd have to increase his pack size to accommodate more food, add a few ounces for a bit more capacity.

Lint is going to be a double triple crown with 8lb baseweight. Skurka's is in the 8-10lb for very long hikes.

you said you could achieve 5lb baseweight 20 years ago. i'll say BS and call you out to prove it with what you carried that long ago without silnylon, 800fill down and other modern gear.

Bear grylls is not camping out, he talks on camera and then goes to an RV when the cameras go away.

Velvet Gooch
09-18-2012, 07:18
Heavier than a strawweight boxer

lvnv1212
09-18-2012, 14:14
My weight for the JMT (including bear canister) was 14.7 lbs. One good thing about the JMT - no problem finding water, so I never had to carry more than a quart (figured this was a good trade-off for the bear canister!)

Wolf - 23000
09-18-2012, 18:50
If you noted, it rained and hailed and got pretty cold on Jamie's weekend. pretty nasty weather regardless of the days out. He had a tarp, bivy, down quilt, down puffy, etc plenty of gear to be prepared for any weather thrown at him. for a thru hike he'd have to increase his pack size to accommodate more food, add a few ounces for a bit more capacity.

Lint is going to be a double triple crown with 8lb baseweight. Skurka's is in the 8-10lb for very long hikes.

you said you could achieve 5lb baseweight 20 years ago. i'll say BS and call you out to prove it with what you carried that long ago without silnylon, 800fill down and other modern gear.

Bear grylls is not camping out, he talks on camera and then goes to an RV when the cameras go away.

If you looked at Jamie's pictures you will notice the ground is dry. Also in the picture of him sitting by the fire, you can make out the smoke rising - not the sign of something you would see during or expecting bad weather. A little common sense goes a long ways.

As for your BS claim, attached is a link for a video that I was in a very long time ago. If you notice the date of when it on the back cover was of when I met Lynn Whelden (who product the video) was in 1992 - 20 years ago. By that point I had already completed the AT for nearly my second time and working on a third. My total packweight was 15 pounds including 5 days of food and water. The video came out 4 years late in 1996.

http://www.lwgear.com/images/vid-lightweight-backpacking-back.jpg

I don't claim to be the first lightweight backpacker as I know Grandma Gatewood was before me who carried 17 pounds total back in the 1960s. There are also others I'm sure but she is the most known.

As for Bear Grylls, he does have a camera crew that follows him on his adventures and does spend some nights camping out. My point being there are many list out there that really don't help at all. I'm not a gear head and really don't care what other hikers are carrying. I worry about what I carry not someone else - it not a fashion contest or to show off who has the best gear. It about going out there and enjoying yourself.

I don't know why you choice to carry what you do, that up to you. What I do know is once I stop listening to other people on what I need to carry and started listening to myself I was able to backpack a lot lighter.

Wolf

jakedatc
09-18-2012, 19:12
wrong link.. my mistake. even lighter base, rain and snow
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55270

and i suppose the 90s gear was getting better so i'll retract the BS. fair?

I think that gear lists have a place. Sometimes it is good to see what is possible and i like visual "lists" even better like in the link i mistakenly posted. I like to lay out my gear like that and decide what stays and what goes. having people look at your list is nice to have outside opinions. you can take some advice and skip others.. it will be your choice at the end. I am big on practice hikes before larger trips to dial in what you want. i decided that even though it saves some weight i really do not like alcohol stoves.

I think people's books like Ray Jardine, Andrew Skurka and Mike Clelland are very good for either new people starting out or more experienced people looking for new methods.

Wolf - 23000
09-19-2012, 07:12
I’m going to point out some things about the way Jamie is hiking – just simple observations that many hikers starting off often would not pick up on. Jamie did hike in the snow of course but where he camped was in a low area where it was warmer. Base on his setup, it would be difficult if he had to camp out up top in the snow. Also if you notice his tarp is small – if he got hit with a good rain storm he could find himself in trouble. Being out for only two days, he can get away with this stuff but someone out long distance could find themselves in serious trouble. The leaves on the ground, it looks like he is using in his system. I don’t want to seem like I’m attacking Jamie or his style because he is free to hike the trail anyway he wants to. My point is only, the things I’m point out are things you can not find out from a gear list. A gear list can does not tell anyone how the equipment is being used or anything about the hiker. Also I’ve been backpacking lightweight for a long time and can spot many things that most hikers starting off normal would not.

As for your references, I'm going to leave alone only to say many of them leave out a lot.

Wolf

OzJacko
09-19-2012, 07:47
I think the critical thing is what weight you are happy carrying.
I have been fastidious in replacing heavy items for lighter, particularly in stove, tent, bedding and (lastly) backpack.
But as long as my pack rarely goes over 35-40 lbs (because consumeables do mean total weight always varies) I am happy.
I carry what I want within reason and don't seek to have a 15lb pack. I admire those that do as their searches and efforts in seeking lighter alternatives supply me with the information to change some things from time to time and get a bit lighter.
But at the end of the day we are all different and have different goals.
To me the person with a 15lb pack is the same as a person with a 60lb pack - different from me.
Don't stress how your pack weight compares, just get it within your "comfort" range.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 09:42
Also I’ve been backpacking lightweight for a long time and can spot many things that most hikers starting off normal would not.

As for your references, I'm going to leave alone only to say many of them leave out a lot.

Wolf

yes yes you've said you are quite amazing.

are you saying the books are lacking or the people writing them... i didn't say they were a manual but a good source of information. Having met and talked with Andrew, the guy is a wealth of information. i have not read all of his book (my dad has our copy) but I have read most of his website and he explains the "why" and "how" quite well.

anyway i'm out, this is going nowhere.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 10:02
But to be fair if you notice Jamie has a bivy so a small tarp does not mean he will be wet even if it gets nasty. he could also pitch it lower in "storm mode". You will also note that he has sewn or built almost everything he uses.. he knows what he is doing.

Wolf - 23000
09-22-2012, 20:00
I never suggest they were a manual but many hikers take them as just that. If you go down to the southern part of the AT for example, there are a lot of Northbounders that are freezing because they follow someone else list – a list made up for warmer weather. Ray Jardine’s book for another, was written as a manual – make your own gear to save weight. What he left out is a hiker knowing what he/she is doing can backpack lighter then Ray himself for the same amount of money (during the same years). The other two, I can’t comment on because I haven’t heard them speak or their philosophies I’ll leave it as that.

Wolf

MuddyWaters
09-23-2012, 22:17

Sub 5 lb isnt that hard in warm weather (no insulation layer), and if you dont mind a light frameless sack with no support, and a thin , short, minimal foam sleeping pad, and no stove, and no rain pants. People out there doing it every day in the summer.

If they tell you they are comfortable, they are stretching the truth a bit if they are carrying 15-20 lbs with food and water.

The 2 items MOST worth their wt, are a light framed pack that transfer wt to hips , and a comfortable sleeping pad.

swjohnsey
09-23-2012, 22:23
I never carried more than 20 lbs with four days of food and a quart of water. I didn't carry a frameless pack (ULA Ohm 2.0) had a good pad (Neoair) nice bag and even rain pants and a stove. Oh yeah, and a tent (BA Fly Creek 1)

jakedatc
09-23-2012, 22:44
Sub 5 lb isnt that hard in warm weather (no insulation layer), and if you dont mind a light frameless sack with no support, and a thin , short, minimal foam sleeping pad, and no stove, and no rain pants. People out there doing it every day in the summer.

If they tell you they are comfortable, they are stretching the truth a bit if they are carrying 15-20 lbs with food and water.

The 2 items MOST worth their wt, are a light framed pack that transfer wt to hips , and a comfortable sleeping pad.

sorry to burst your bubble. but it can be done, in the cold, in wet weather. It does involve some $ and knowledge of *** you are doing. Well made down insulation, cuben shelter, cuben pack, esbit stove, small 500-700ml pot, cuben rain skirt, etc. no it's not 15-20lb of food. but i don't know anyone who carries that much food at once. Also there are other hikes other than a AT thru hike so judging everything by a thru-hike is pretty narrow. 40mi in 2.5 days is a pretty solid weekend.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55270

I guess it has to do with some ignorance of what is out there on this site but if you expand your head a bit and look else where people are doing very light baseweights with minimal but complete gear. you don't NEED a framed pack if you are light enough to not need it. you don't NEED a thick pad if your site selection or personal tolerance allows you to use a thin foam pad. I have a framed pack and a air pad because I still need a frame and have bony hips that don't allow me to use a thin pad. but i applaud the folks who can

not believing it can be done is how 30lb packs show up and THAT is unnecessary.

SouthMark
09-23-2012, 22:57
Sub 5 lb or SUL is just a matter of skill, knowledge and experience.

MuddyWaters
09-24-2012, 21:30
sorry to burst your bubble. but it can be done, in the cold, in wet weather. It does involve some $ and knowledge of *** you are doing. Well made down insulation, cuben shelter, cuben pack, esbit stove, small 500-700ml pot, cuben rain skirt, etc. no it's not 15-20lb of food. but i don't know anyone who carries that much food at once. Also there are other hikes other than a AT thru hike so judging everything by a thru-hike is pretty narrow. 40mi in 2.5 days is a pretty solid weekend.

I guess it has to do with some ignorance of what is out there on this site but if you expand your head a bit and look else where people are doing very light baseweights with minimal but complete gear. you don't NEED a framed pack if you are light enough to not need it. you don't NEED a thick pad if your site selection or personal tolerance allows you to use a thin foam pad. I have a framed pack and a air pad because I still need a frame and have bony hips that don't allow me to use a thin pad. but i applaud the folks who can

not believing it can be done is how 30lb packs show up and THAT is unnecessary.

Your off base. I said it was EASY in warm weather, thats when many will do it.
Need to read closer as well, there is a difference between 15-20lbs pack wt with food/water and 15-20 lbs food.

I carry 6-7 lbs most of the time year round. I know exactly what it takes to go lower, and exactly how to be lower. I have the gear to go out with a 4.5 lb pack If I want. Ive done my share of sleeping on a 2.5oz pad on piled up leaves. I can tolerate it , thats what it is, tolerating it.

40 miles in 2.5 days would be about average for me.

When you get below about 6-6.5, there really is no good reason to go lower, other than to say "look at me, woohooo 4lbs 15oz!"
Seriously. You are in the realm of trading comfort and weather protection, for virtually nothing at all.

Sman
10-03-2012, 02:51
I have been fastidious in replacing heavy items for lighter, particularly in stove, tent, bedding and (lastly) backpack.
But as long as my pack rarely goes over 35-40 lbs (because consumeables do mean total weight always varies) I am happy.
I carry what I want within reason and don't seek to have a 15lb pack. I admire those that do as their searches and efforts in seeking lighter alternatives supply me with the information to change some things from time to time and get a bit lighter.
To me the person with a 15lb pack is the same as a person with a 60lb pack - different from me.
Don't stress how your pack weight compares, just get it within your "comfort" range.

Like your veiw on weight------ My pack has always been over 25lb, guess I like holding on to my old gear..... I did break down and buy a light weight sleeping bag. looking foward to see if it holds in my body heat during a Jan hike......................

hikedit
10-07-2012, 17:37
3 day 2 night trip always under 11lbs food and water included

Dantolz
10-11-2012, 17:08
I just did a week doing the Sierra High Route. My pack with 7 days of food and a bear canister (berikade weekender) was around 38lbs. My hiking partner came it at 22 lbs with 7 days of food. Cuben Pack, Cubern Shelter, 1lb Sleeping Bag.... I was envious

Another Kevin
10-11-2012, 21:45
What's my pack weight? Heavy enough that the ultralightweight crowd call me a fool, and light enough that the traditionalists call me a wimp. I just call myself a clueless weekender, and go on toting it.

RCBear
10-12-2012, 08:37

This could not be said better. Completely encompasses the proper perspective. Its about the mindset you are comfortable in. if a guy has 60 lbs on his back and smiling, then he is doing it right. When his smile disappears, then its probably time to re-think the set up....or try a new activity. I do think that once you determine what gear is essential TO YOU, it makes sense to find the lightest possible that gives you what you need at a cost that you can live with.

I hear people tell me I should give up coffee on the trail to save weight and hassle...WTH would I want to do that??????? To get in an extra mile or two a day?? Completely useless advice...TO ME of course :)

RCBear
10-12-2012, 08:43
Sub 5 lb or SUL is just a matter of skill, knowledge and experience.

Ummm....I think the word DESIRE is conspicuously absent above. The most necessary ingredient in making that a fully truthful statement. Which is why I will never get there :)

Tramp
01-23-2013, 22:18
Yep....hike your own hike. Weight and money go hand and hand. The gear for a 40 lb pack cost ??? $ the gear for a 20 lb pack cost twice as much. I'm at about 32lbs loaded and that's good for what I carry.

tds1195
01-23-2013, 22:58
If I pack luxury items for a weekend trip with food and 2L water I carry 27-32 lbs (depending on dry food vs MRE and which items/bottles I bring). If I skimp a bit I'm still at 19lbs for a weekend.

mtnkngxt
01-24-2013, 01:52
Total weight with food for 5 days and water is right at 14.5lbs

Kerosene
01-24-2013, 10:33
Total weight with 3 days food and 2 liters of water in early Spring/late Fall comes in at 25-26 pounds.

Total weight for late Spring through early Fall comes in closer to 23 pounds, although I'm looking to swap out my GG Nimbus Ozone for a lighter pack, which would get me down to 21 pounds.

coach lou
01-24-2013, 12:25
My base weight changes depending on whether I bring Cheesecake or Mud Pie:D