PDA

View Full Version : Too much drama!

Rasty
09-04-2012, 21:39
Hello I'm Rasty and I'm part of the problem.
In the last few months the arguments have gotten out of hand. I have contributed to this as much as anyone. Today I realized how we come across to others. A simple question as a first post from a brand new member of Whiteblaze turns into a argument within 20 posts. What a poor way we welcome new members.

I am going to stay out of the BS going forward.

There are a few members I would like to single out as my Whiteblaze roll models, 10k for always being positive, Brianlee for doing the same and being very knowledgeable on all three major US trails, WOO for yelling at me when I've gone too far, MAGS for always being positive and funny at the same time.

The final member is Rocket Socks who while being goofy has not to my knowledge every been derogatory to anyone and I hope he didn't quit Whiteblaze. There are others I've forgotten to mention, but you can help.

Add a post if you agree or wish to pledge to quit arguing or reacting to obvious threads just looking for a fight.

Don't post if you don't agree, I'm not going to react!

Whiteblaze is supposed to be less stressful than work! :)

Water Rat
09-04-2012, 21:43
In the last few months the arguments have gotten out of hand. I have contributed to this as much as anyone. Today I realized how we come across to others. A simple question as a first post from a brand new member of Whiteblaze turns into a argument within 20 posts. What a poor way we welcome new members.

There are a few members I would like to single out as my Whiteblaze roll models, 10k for always being positive, Brianlee for doing the same and being very knowledgeable on all three major US trails, WOO for yelling at me when I've gone too far, MAGS for always being positive and funny at the same time.

The final member is Rocket Socks who while being goofy has not to my knowledge every been derogatory to anyone and I hope he didn't quit Whiteblaze. There are others I've forgotten to mention, but you can help.

Add a post if you agree or wish to pledge to quit arguing or reacting to obvious threads just looking for a fight.

Rasty - I couldn't agree more. You are a wise man! Thank you for posting this.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 21:48
I don't remember yelling at anyone:rolleyes::cool:

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:51

Same here, but then again there are lots of things I don't remember posting. Most of the time this happens to me between 23:00 and 03:00 on the weekend.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 21:53
You must be an owl too.... oops an elf.... didn't know you were nocturnal

moytoy
OP of the month! :)

HikerMom58
That's a great post Rasty. I'm sorry for reacting so strongly to people that push my buttons. I pledge right along with you not to react to them in a negative way anymore. It takes a lot of nerve to post what you did.... I respect you very much for doing it. THanks buddy! :)

coach lou
09-04-2012, 21:55
I have often asked for WOOs counsel, and I thank him for it.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:55
Back to Rasty's comment, I do wish that people would pay more attention to the join date and post count of the people they are replying to on threads. I can think of a half dozen times this year when a brand new member created a new thread only to get screamed at for asking, not the best way to get and retain members on the site. (Full disclosure, I admit that I accidentally snapped at a brand new member earlier this year because I forgot to check his join date before replying, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

Rasty
09-04-2012, 21:56

You rightly chastised me for getting into with Toli without reason. You may have been on some serious pain meds at the time but you were correct.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 21:56
You must be an owl too.... oops an elf.... didn't know you were nocturnal

We sleep whenever Santa tells us we are allowed to, doesn't happen very often.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 21:58
I think it's some sort of weird lunar cycle
every month or so we seem to get involved in drama. it would help if we were all out hiking more.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 21:59
and we are back to this again

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 22:00
Back to Rasty's comment, I do wish that people would pay more attention to the join date and post count of the people they are replying to on threads. I can think of a half dozen times this year when a brand new member created a new thread only to get screamed at for asking, not the best way to get and retain members on the site. (Full disclosure, I admit that I accidentally snapped at a brand new member earlier this year because I forgot to check his join date before replying, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

I think the point is, from what I hear Rasty saying, is not to snap at anyone whether they are a new member or not...

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 22:00
I constantly have to remind myself that everyone's opinion is just as valid as mine.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:01
you guys really should get out more

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 22:02
oh well - yup I totally forgot and moved on - and thought we were doing fine.... And I think I did that by pm any yes I was on a crapload of meds. - I apologize,

and yea you are both great and the argument was awful.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 22:04

+1 for sure.

chief
09-04-2012, 22:05
I don't agree!

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:06
I don't agree!
yes you do, you are wrong

Rasty
09-04-2012, 22:07

21 days until 10 days hiking from Roan High Knob to Partnership shelter. Can't get here fast enough.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 22:09
it would help if we were all out hiking more.

We can't go hike, it's too dangerous.

I think the point is, from what I hear Rasty saying, is not to snap at anyone whether they are a new member or not...

I always remind myself that this is just the internet, nothing here is personal. I also try (emphasis on try) to never post anything online that I wouldn't say to the person face to face.

chief
09-04-2012, 22:10
yes you do, you are wrongI was wrong once, but that was years ago.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:12
I dont know, I kinda feel like a majority of the drama is created by 3-4 people that spend sooooo much time here and take it way too seriously.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:15
I miss the good ole days when the threads had substance and the people were actually hikers.

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 22:18
I dont know, I kinda feel like a majority of the drama is created by 3-4 people that spend sooooo much time here and take it way too seriously.

Well, I'm trying to stop wearing my heart on my sleeve as much. I think I have thicker skin now than I did a couple of months ago....

Sarcasm... I think I go off more on here than I would in person. I'm not that "punchy" in person. I'll have to remember that... good point.

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 22:21
I miss the good ole days when the threads had substance and the people were actually hikers.

Good ole days? How old are you? We hike.... just not as much as we would like 2!

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:22
Good ole days? How old are you? We hike.... just not as much as we would like 2!
Good ole days of this website

HikerMom58
09-04-2012, 22:25
Oh... I wouldn't know.. I'm outta here. Good nite y'all... thanks again Rasty. Have fun on your hike... Oh.. I still need to do my homework assignment. :eek:

Supreme Being
09-04-2012, 22:25
A lot of members have left (or are rarely on anymore) for this very reason.

HikerMom: I don't always agree with you, but there were times when I felt that you were really ganged up on. Your feelings were hurt and I could understand that. Some of the comments directed at you were just rude and totally uncalled for.

And it isn't only the non-hikers who are habitual offenders. I can think of a few who hike a lot who are the worst offenders. But I suspect that they are BORED. They know most of the skills and so when new hikers venture onto the site for info, WHAM, they have a feeding frenzy at their expense. Very sad. I will probably always stand up for what I believe in, but I will not to tone it down as well.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:27

HikerMom: I don't always agree with you, but there were times when I felt that you were really ganged up on. Your feelings were hurt and I could understand that. Some of the comments directed at you were just rude and totally uncalled for.

And it isn't only the non-hikers who are habitual offenders. I can think of a few who hike a lot who are the worst offenders. But I suspect that they are BORED. They know most of the skills and so when new hikers venture onto the site for info, WHAM, they have a feeding frenzy at their expense. Very sad. I will probably always stand up for what I believe in, but I will not to tone it down as well.

and you have only been here since april. The cool crowd left a long time ago

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 22:29
Good ole days of this website

When people actually read threads for hiking content? woo you go way back!:cool:

chief
09-04-2012, 22:29
My favorite part of the OP is where Rasty writes, "Don't post if you don't agree". Really?

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:31
When people actually read threads for hiking content? woo you go way back!:cool:
You know what Im talking about :D

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 22:31

but you're still here. what's up with that? what's up with that what's up with that what's up with that

10-K
09-04-2012, 22:32

It's true that a lot of the more experienced hikers that I learned over the past years have moved on but I don't think it's just because of the way the membership has gotten more combative/rude.

More than a few moved on because they felt the site was too heavily moderated.

But I think that over the course of time you can only bear to answer "How much does it cost to thru?", "What's the best tent?", etc. questions so many hundreds of time.

What has NOT happened is that other experienced hikers haven't joined to fill that void - leaving mainly hikers with less experience and/or folks who have less patience with others.

A lot of folks who are "serious" go over to backpackinglight.com.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:33
but you're still here. what's up with that? what's up with that what's up with that what's up with that
Trust me, I aint one of the cool ones.

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 22:35
we've talked about this before. all the information anyone needs in the articles.. the forums are for specific questions. bears guns and safety- people need to learn to use the search function. read the stickys. every single 1 of us would be better off if we were doing more hiking and less typing

Supreme Being
09-04-2012, 22:36
It's true that a lot of the more experienced hikers that I learned over the past years have moved on but I don't think it's just because of the way the membership has gotten more combative/rude.

But I think that over the course of time you can only bear to answer "How much does it cost to thru?", "What's the best tent?", etc. questions so many hundreds of time.

AMEN to the moderated part! I have never been on any site that was worst than this regarding censorship. Ever. I know of one person who left because they received a "time out" and Warren Doyle left as well. (This will probably be pulled as well so read it quickly!)

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:39
AMEN to the moderated part! I have never been on any site that was worst than this regarding censorship. Ever. I know of one person who left because they received a "time out" and Warren Doyle left as well. (This will probably be pulled as well so read it quickly!)
Oh damn, Warren left?
My point is that you say its heavily moderated and your join date is 4-27-12. You want heavily moderated, Wingfoots site when he was running it was 10 times worse

coach lou
09-04-2012, 22:39
What I don't get is.... the hub bub. I mean, right now there are what maybe 80 active threads going on. The hot ones are at the top, folks are on and off. My cook pot question, I got an answer, it then died. My book thread, I got my answer, it gets opened up once in a while. Ozjacko's Evernew question got answered, him and I drifted alittle about a common interest, it died. The Cafe, it is obviously popular, the 10 or so of us did not make all those hits or posts. Come on, we are talking about WALKING, and sleeping and boiling water.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:42
What I don't get is.... the hub bub. I mean, right now there are what maybe 80 active threads going on. The hot ones are at the top, folks are on and off. My cook pot question, I got an answer, it then died. My book thread, I got my answer, it gets opened up once in a while. Ozjacko's Evernew question got answered, him and I drifted alittle about a common interest, it died. The Cafe, it is obviously popular, the 10 or so of us did not make all those hits or posts. Come on, we are talking about WALKING, and sleeping and boiling water.
The only reason the Cafe has as many posts is from Water Rats 40 posts per day.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 22:43
SB Well some of us remember the shut down... Prior to that it was kind of crazy ..... and it was explosive at times, cant have it both ways....

Coach, Once it gets really well answered it sinks to the bottom some get dug up and brought back to the top. Some I wish stay on the bottom... The neat thing is when you use advance search - an take a peek at what circulates up again.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:45
Well some of us remember the shut down... Prior to that it was kind of crazy ..... and it was explosive at times, cant have it both ways....
I thought it was hilarious, grown men, yelling at each other through a computer screen and with their fingers

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 22:47

Well hit 68k hits by the morning. there are quite a few people out there that thumb their noses at the cafe but they are peaking through the keyhole.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 22:49
There's a keyhole? I didn't see that! a little creepy....

coach lou

But, they can't all be big fights. Most I have no interest in even opening. I have gotten many answers here, I'm not new at this. I have met really cool folks, they are not all gone. I have friends here now, I do ignore some. i hear Rasty, I was alittle taken back by last nite, but I want to hike and most of you folks hike. i want to come along.

Chaco Taco
Well hit 68k hits by the morning. there are quite a few people out there that thumb their noses at the cafe but they are peaking through the keyhole.
Wow, something to be proud of.....

And on that note, I think I have had my fill til I get bored again in the wintah. Got a business to run, school work to do and hikes to plan....peace

hikerboy57
09-04-2012, 23:00
There's a keyhole? I didn't see that! a little creepy....

be very afraid.
we are being watched.

Toli
09-04-2012, 23:18
You rightly chastised me for getting into with Toli without reason. You may have been on some serious pain meds at the time but you were correct.

He sent me a PM about that too... He's reined me in a few necessary times, and I always thank him for it :D...

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2012, 23:37
Better to remember the good times - then harbor the bad. Honest I forgot.

- could'nt understand why you guys couldn't get along... No drama here... - Jay's L On & I am off. G'night

Rasty
09-04-2012, 23:58

He sent me a PM about that too... He's reined me in a few necessary times, and I always thank him for it :D...

It kind of annoys me when WOO's right!:)

Joking of course!

chiefiepoo
09-05-2012, 00:03
Hello I'm Rasty and I'm part of the problem

some good 12 step work going on here.

Hairbear
09-05-2012, 05:27
+1 rasty........................

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 07:48

Good points Rasty. Some threads do reek of excess unnecessary negativity. Disagreement is fine but we should strive for civility and avoid name-calling (well, HikerTrash is OK;))

Re the absence/departure of long-time members: from my conversations with some of them as well as seeing some of their stated rationale, it seems the reasons are quite varied. Some leave citing too much negativity, some leave because there's not enough "free speech." WB's decision to ban political discussions drove some people off but attracted others.

Still don't consider myself an "oldtimer" although perhaps I should with 7 1/2 years under the belt. When I joined in '05, there were far fewer members but I don't think the rancor was any less than now.

Gray Blazer
09-05-2012, 07:53
Most of the oldtimers you are talking about were banned. I was banned, but, somehow got let back in. I have to be on my best behavior or I get banned for life.

SCLocke
09-05-2012, 07:56
I am new here. I am not a Hiker. Trying to do more because of boy scouts, so what I learn may have to be used to help/protect someone's son.

I came here to learn. I spent a lot of time reading before I ever posted. Together you have compiled a ton of information, most of it being very useful. I am grateful to those of you who share your knowledge and have answered my questions.

YES, the bickering gets old. On this and any other forum. Nothing new or uncommon. I choose not to read it or participate in it.

I joined three forums to learn about backpacking, but THIS ONE, is the one I keep going to for information. You have built a GREAT place, with some GREAT people . . . .You Should Be Proud !

RESPECT, every member, and every opinion. Everything else will take care of it's self . . . .

moytoy
09-05-2012, 08:01
Re the absence/departure of long-time members: from my conversations with some of them as well as seeing some of their stated rationale, it seems the reasons are quite varied. Some leave citing too much negativity, some leave because there's not enough "free speech." WB's decision to ban political discussions drove some people off but attracted others.

And some of them quit WB simply because they wanted to be vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. Most of those are on another site that allows them to say anything they wish but most rarely have anything of value to say. Just my opinion.

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 08:02
Most of the oldtimers you are talking about were banned. I was banned, but, somehow got let back in. I have to be on my best behavior or I get banned for life.

I didn't mention names and still won't but most of those I'm thinking of left of their own accord.

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 08:03
And some of them quit WB simply because they wanted to be vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. Most of those are on another site that allows them to say anything they wish but most rarely have anything of value to say. Just my opinion.

Agree - that's included in what I meant when I referred to "free speech."

moytoy
09-05-2012, 08:06
Gotcha:) I think I just wanted to get that off my chest:)

OzJacko
09-05-2012, 08:07
I am new here. I am not a Hiker. Trying to do more because of boy scouts, so what I learn may have to be used to help/protect someone's son.

I came here to learn. I spent a lot of time reading before I ever posted. Together you have compiled a ton of information, most of it being very useful. I am grateful to those of you who share your knowledge and have answered my questions.

YES, the bickering gets old. On this and any other forum. Nothing new or uncommon. I choose not to read it or participate in it.

I joined three forums to learn about backpacking, but THIS ONE, is the one I keep going to for information. You have built a GREAT place, with some GREAT people . . . .You Should Be Proud !

RESPECT, every member, and every opinion. Everything else will take care of it's self . . . .
+++++11111111

Old Hiker
09-05-2012, 08:21

Vulgarities may be "free speech" but with freedom comes responsibility. It brings the discussion down (and society in general) to drop the f-bomb every other word as well as other vulgarities. You actually have to think before you use your fingers to type a conversation, so those people are actually doing so on purpose. It adds nothing to the subject being discussed.

Heavy moderation (if true - I haven't seen it) would be one reason to actually PAY to use WhiteBlaze. Once the nasty talk starts, I pretty much shut off the person talking.

Good for you, Rasty, to start this.

And yes, I DO use those words on occasion. Just not in a discussion on-line or face to face with anyone.

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 08:26
its just talking

Gray Blazer
09-05-2012, 08:32

+1

OzJacko
09-05-2012, 08:47
Hey I live in a country where vulgarity is an art form!

But I always taught my kids, "you have to be able to turn it on and off".
I made it clear that I didn't care how they spoke with their peers, but they were mega busted if something slipped out in front of a grandparent.

I firmly believe that manners and etiquette are the lubrication that eases friction between people.
In these days of road rage, cyber bullying and people going "postal" I find it refreshing to have some measure of civility enforced.
This doesn't mean I'm a prude, I assure I can and do drop f bombs and more all the time.

But as the earlier post I highlighted pointed out, this is a FANTASTIC site and resource for AT hikers.
Top marks to Rasty for starting this thread as flippant cynicism can ruin a newbies experience on the site.
Humour and sarcasm have their place and it's not in mainstream threads.
If the 1001st query on what is the "best" hiking tent comes up for example, and you are sick to death of that query, ignore it.
Eventually someone with the patience of a Water Rat will point them towards an old thread that gives good info.

I am on an at mailing list that sends me emails when people post and I think some of the "old timers" you speak of may be on it. I rarely say anything in that but read and occasionally learn. On a site like this, people will always come and go. People change (slowly).
15 years ago I had no involvement in hiking and my leisure thoughts revolved around golf. Perversely when most people my age were turning to golf I moved away.
The me of 15 years ago would never have believed that I could go to Georgia in the spring for anything other than the Masters.

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 08:50
hiking is just golf with out the aggravation.

Rasty
09-05-2012, 08:56
I'm a chef and we are not know for civil language. That changed one day for me while working at a restaurant with a kitchen that was open to the dining room and one of the cooks put up a chart to track and grade my curse words. The A-word was worth 1, the S-word 2, all the way up to a 6 for the mother of all curse words. Luckily I did not get any 6's but my score after one hour was well over 200.

coach lou
09-05-2012, 09:05
Rasty, you never worked in that green chow hall up the coast?! Very colorful.

Oz, I like the 'Lubrication' analogy! and you have something more toxic than an F-bomb! It must be radioactive:eek:

OzJacko
09-05-2012, 09:09
Oz, I like the 'Lubrication' analogy! and you have something more toxic than an F-bomb! It must be radioactive:eek:

Not sure what that is Coach but I now know what you guys mean when you talk about being "monitored".
Just got my first rap on the knuckles from a moderator...:o

Rasty
09-05-2012, 09:09
Rasty, you never worked in that green chow hall up the coast?! Very colorful.

I almost took a job as the Chef for the officers club about 12 years ago.

The word I'm thinking of can be heard by your mom no matter how far away she is!

Hairbear
09-05-2012, 09:11
I'm a chef and we are not know for civil language. That changed one day for me while working at a restaurant with a kitchen that was open to the dining room and one of the cooks put up a chart to track and grade my curse words. The A-word was worth 1, the S-word 2, all the way up to a 6 for the mother of all curse words. Luckily I did not get any 6's but my score after one hour was well over 200. curb your enthusiasm made an episode like that...very funny

moldy
09-05-2012, 09:30
One of the reasons that this forum still exists after all these years is because of the cat fights that break out every day. This drama is what keeps bringing people back to Whiteblaze. It keeps this webpage from being like the one on Trail Journals. It's like Howard Stern, we get a much better viewership beacuse people want to see what goning to happen next. If it gets too dull here someone will toss a hand grenade question. Should we ban tarp tents? Is the boy scouts a hate group? Is the AMC owned by the Republicans? You will have 300 responses the first day. The drama is good.

OzJacko
09-05-2012, 09:34
One of the reasons that this forum still exists after all these years is because of the cat fights that break out every day. This drama is what keeps bringing people back to Whiteblaze. It keeps this webpage from being like the one on Trail Journals. It's like Howard Stern, we get a much better viewership beacuse people want to see what goning to happen next. If it gets too dull here someone will toss a hand grenade question. Should we ban tarp tents? Is the boy scouts a hate group? Is the AMC owned by the Republicans? You will have 300 responses the first day. The drama is good.
No, maybe, probably................:banana

OzJacko
09-05-2012, 09:36
The real reason this site is so popular is because of the bananas....:D

max patch
09-05-2012, 09:37

I think its funny when "they" (those on that other site) say that they are "real hikers" and "know more than anyone else'. And then demonstrate their "free speech" by cussing. Quite pathetic.

HikerMom58
09-05-2012, 09:43

Thanks SB for mentioning me. Yes, I have been deeply hurt on here. I don't think I have fully recovered. As a result, I find myself snapping and defending more than I normally would....but that is NOT an excuse for bad behavior, on my part. I own it.

" But I suspect that they are BORED. They know most of the skills and so when new hikers venture onto the site for info, WHAM, they have a feeding frenzy at their expense. Very sad." Plus 1, on this statement SB. I agree with you so much!! "They have a feeding frenzy at their expense"? Heck yeah!!!!

The "word picture" would be a piece of "fresh meat" thrown in the water with a bunch of sharks. The same sharks come in for a "bite". In fact, I think I saw someone on here even use that very word "bite", to describe their own behavior. I wonder how many "sharks" would feel differently about their own behavior if they had a turn at being the "fresh meat." In their minds they think people deserve it... deserve it? Everyone that comes here should be treated with respect all the time.

If someone is clearly acting like a jerk, I don't think the solution is 2 use that person as entertainment, either. Bored much? The person needs to be reported & shut down. Simple. It got really tiring reading the same old jokes over and over when clearly there are some major issues going on. Got empathy/ compassion much? New members would have no idea what was going on... I know I didn't. Ahhhhh.... Look, I'm starting to rant!!:eek:

In the end, I think SB knows me/figured me out the best. SB said something like this... HikerMom would hike with DS when no one else would. I knew, when I read that, SB really gets me. I was a lil taken back, at first, but then I thought - I would hike with anyone on here. True dat!!! I think I could find something good in everyone on here. I know I could. I might not have much in common with some but hiking with someone doesn't mean you have to hang out with them for the rest of your life. Just a short brief time to enjoy a common interest. It may only be hiking together for 5 minutes but it would happen, right?:p Luv you guys!!

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 09:44
.... And then demonstrate their "free speech" by cussing. Quite pathetic.

cussing and flaming.

My candidate for the most common expression in internet discussion (not limited to WB) is "your a moron" which says as much about grammatical skills or lack thereof as it does about civility and respect.

Astro
09-05-2012, 10:15

Just curious, what is the other site?

canoe
09-05-2012, 10:38
Most of the oldtimers you are talking about were banned. I was banned, but, somehow got let back in. I have to be on my best behavior or I get banned for life. Yeah but you could always come back with another name. something like Irish Bastard or something like that

ATMountainTime
09-05-2012, 10:44
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Welcome to the first step Rast. LMAO

Rain Man
09-05-2012, 11:22
The drama is good.

Isn't that Jerry Springer's and/or Maury Povich's motto? And more suitable for such venues. Not for WB.

Rain Man

Gray Blazer
09-05-2012, 11:23
Yeah but you could always come back with another name. something like Irish Bastard or something like that

I tried, but, I think they recognized my address or something. It did take a day or so. I am definitely not Irish Bastard.

Thirsty DPD
09-05-2012, 11:27
cussing and flaming.

My candidate for the most common expression in internet discussion (not limited to WB) is "your a moron" which says as much about grammatical skills or lack thereof as it does about civility and respect.

A posters cussing, "you're a moron", telling people how to hike their own hike, allows me to learn much more about them and their expertise, than what I learn about the person their addressing, the trail, gear, food..........some folk can only be an expert at someone elses expense.

canoe
09-05-2012, 11:35
I tried, but, I think they recognized my address or something. It did take a day or so. I am definitely not Irish Bastard.

I know youre not IB ...

chief
09-05-2012, 12:08
Just curious, what is the other site?moytoy may be talking about Hobo Central, a site owned by 2 former owners of WB and composed mostly of former and current members of WB. It is a private adjunct of hikinghq.net, membership by invitation only. I used to be a member, but got booted. Nothing there of value!

Deadeye
09-05-2012, 12:37
It's hard to convey sarcasm and humor in writing - I know I've failed at it many times and ticked of some WB members. Since then, I've tried to post only when I have some useful information or local knowledge, and tried to keep any other comments to myself. Doesn't always work, but I try!

Gray Blazer
09-05-2012, 12:55
moytoy may be talking about Hobo Central, a site owned by 2 former owners of WB and composed mostly of former and current members of WB. It is a private adjunct of hikinghq.net, membership by invitation only. I used to be a member, but got booted. Nothing there of value!

Wow! You, too?

Chaco Taco
09-05-2012, 14:36
moytoy may be talking about Hobo Central, a site owned by 2 former owners of WB and composed mostly of former and current members of WB. It is a private adjunct of hikinghq.net, membership by invitation only. I used to be a member, but got booted. Nothing there of value!
I left on my own accord

Drybones
09-05-2012, 14:50
hiking is just golf with out the aggravation.

You must be right...I haven't thrown a hiking pole yet.

coach lou
09-05-2012, 14:58
You must be right...I haven't thrown a hiking pole yet.

My son went to a Catholic High School, he had a 5 handicap. The golf coach wouldn't take him 'cause he can throw his clubs farther than the kid that threw the Javlin!:o

pyroman53
09-05-2012, 15:20
While not all-inlcusive, many WBers seem to fall into one or more of the following roles:

WISE VETERAN: they share their experiences and knowledge, offer thoughtfull advice, maybe pick up a few new tricks, and generally pay it forward for all the help they received in the past.

NEWBY: hungry for knowledge, advice, and help as they navigate through all the collective wisdom and knowledge contained on this site. Occasionally stumble into hot-button topics that get our next role-player riled up and become confused by some of the reactions their posts receive. For them, WB is a fantastic resource and they are excited to have located it.

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise.

QUIET MAJORITY: has some knowledge to share and does so positively. Occasionally posts a question and is sincerely looking for real answers. May visit sporadically or often but either way they love visiting WB and sharing, learning, and talking about backpacking and the AT. Enjoys a good laugh with the rest of us, but quickly gets bored as serious threads decay into sophomoric dribble.

We can all choose who we will be on WB. There's room for us all.

Drybones
09-05-2012, 15:37
While not all-inlcusive, many WBers seem to fall into one or more of the following roles:

WISE VETERAN: they share their experiences and knowledge, offer thoughtfull advice, maybe pick up a few new tricks, and generally pay it forward for all the help they received in the past.

NEWBY: hungry for knowledge, advice, and help as they navigate through all the collective wisdom and knowledge contained on this site. Occasionally stumble into hot-button topics that get our next role-player riled up and become confused by some of the reactions their posts receive. For them, WB is a fantastic resource and they are excited to have located it.

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise.

QUIET MAJORITY: has some knowledge to share and does so positively. Occasionally posts a question and is sincerely looking for real answers. May visit sporadically or often but either way they love visiting WB and sharing, learning, and talking about backpacking and the AT. Enjoys a good laugh with the rest of us, but quickly gets bored as serious threads decay into sophomoric dribble.

Me...I was a wise, quiet, nubee that got sucked into that "why can't we all get along" thread and it was like hard drugs...no matter how hard I try, cant get off the stuff. I start rehab tomorrow.

Mulungu
09-05-2012, 15:51
Hello all you old timers. From someone new at the forum,
i enjoy the argie Barrgie of good robust discussion, often very funny when taken with a pinch of salt and a glass of good wine.

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail.

Hope to have lots of good robust discussion and perhaps some disagreements but also lots of laughs and make up coffees or wines.

jerseydave
09-05-2012, 15:55

If you were on the receiving end you might....... (got any duct tape?)

coach lou
09-05-2012, 16:10
i enjoy the argie Barrgie of good robust discussion, often very funny when taken with a pinch of salt and a glass of good wine.

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail.

Hope to have lots of good robust discussion and perhaps some disagreements but also lots of laughs and make up coffees or wines.

I have never witnessed anything on the trail that even remotely takes place here. Come here, enjoy are wonderful countrysides and our citizens:welcome

max patch
09-05-2012, 16:13
Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict.

Doesn't happen. Crap that goes on this website doesn't happen in the woods. The worst I've experienced is the realization that I didn't like someone for whatever reason at a shelter so I just hiked on a couple miles and camped in the woods. And I can count those times using the fingers of one hand.

Thirsty DPD
09-05-2012, 16:19
I have never witnessed anything on the trail that even remotely takes place here. Come here, enjoy are wonderful countrysides and our citizens:welcome

When people are within arms reach of one another, everything changes.

Don H
09-05-2012, 16:25

You left out the "Know It All CyberHiker"

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 16:25
...Serious question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail....

Rarely happens.

Drybones
09-05-2012, 16:26

I dont know what would happen if there was a disagreement on the trail...never had one...never saw one...I have poor hearing so maybe I just didn't know when they happening. I bet these cyber bad boys are all cup cakes when they have thier boots on and a pack on thier backs. 20 miles of mountains will mellow anyone out.

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 16:30

On the trail, he only hiker I regularly get into disagreements with is my husband.
But we've been married for more than 20 years, so he should know he's generally wrong by now :D
Seriously - most people are too involved in the mental and physical activity of hiking, camping, etc. to have much energy left over for petty conflicts. A few days on the trail and a lot of issues tend to diminish in importance. Those that don't, you find a way to keep it out of your hike.

moldy
09-05-2012, 17:43
If you don't have a gun, 2 conversations to avoid in shelters, politics and religion.

Skidsteer
09-05-2012, 18:13

This.

...and the fact you have to type ten freaking characters when a perfectly good four letter word captured the exact thought you were trying to express. And made this post thirty-nine words longer than it needed to be.

Drybones
09-05-2012, 18:35
If you don't have a gun, 2 conversations to avoid in shelters, politics and religion.

I'll confess...these are two topics you definitely dont want to get me started on....and I never bring them up.

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 18:39
most of the time conversation runs to where you looking to stop tomorrow?max bald. yeah me too.ill see you in the morning.yeah me too.too tired to argue.somebody ever brings up politics or religion, i just walk away watch the sun set or something.

TD55
09-05-2012, 19:49
[QUOTE=pyroman53;1334367

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise[/QUOTE]

Edie
09-05-2012, 20:31
Keyboard Commando-Someone who acts tough behind a keyboard online, but can't say the same things in real life.

HikerMom58
09-05-2012, 21:48
I used to think I liked to hang out with guys cause there's less drama. Humm.... it's hard to tell who's who on here sometimes & I'm 2 lazy to investigate. ;) I think I'm going to rethink that one. :p

I've also been wondering how many yankees post on here as compared to the southerners. I think southerners are less dramic than yankee's. How about those mid-westerners and west coasters? I'm a yankee who lives in the south. I'm loving it!! I will add the south seems to have more dramic people on the trail than up north, maybe. That why we stay vigilent in the south...:cool: Come on down....

Deadeye
09-05-2012, 22:11

In my experience, that's only happened with over-agressive proselytizers, in which case I just move on. Most of us can manage to get along with almost anyone for one night.

kayak karl
09-05-2012, 22:15

at least on the trail you know your disagreeing with a real hiker :rolleyes:

Mountain Mike
09-05-2012, 23:09
The reality on the trail is we are all hikers doing what we enjoy. Out there to relax. I've seen some interesting conversations, but nothing ever really argumentative. Just each person making his point & in a fun, interesting way. More often it hikers helping each other out. Best parts of the last town they hit, Expectation for next day/town , joke, funny stories,...

OzJacko
09-06-2012, 03:16
My son went to a Catholic High School, he had a 5 handicap. The golf coach wouldn't take him 'cause he can throw his clubs farther than the kid that threw the Javlin!:o
Tried to get my wife to play.
2nd time she came out I made one of my once a year club throws in frustration at a suddenly developed hook.
She never came out with me again.

OzJacko
09-06-2012, 03:18

Someone's tent gets p#####d on later in the night.:o

OzJacko
09-06-2012, 03:22
Someone's tent gets p#####d on later in the night.:o
Just joking. But seriously, never seen it here at least. Have seen people deliberately change plans to avoid others but no problems.
Day trippers maybe, but not hikers.

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 07:39

another category ...

MORON: me

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 07:43
at least on the trail you know your disagreeing with a real hiker :rolleyes:

+1

Capt Nat
09-06-2012, 09:02
I really like this site and am glad I discovered it. Whatever info you need, it's on here somewhere. I like the people, all of you. Folks looking to venture into the woods for the first time, folks with tens of thousands of hiking miles behind them, folks with common sense, wisdom, intellect, it's all here.

I like the information posts, the stories, the sense of friendship and community, and even the drama. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the mods to keep some degree of balance, but I think they do a good job.

My Dad was a plain man. A truck driver and crane operator. One of the most remarkable things I remember about him is that everything he said or did showed respect. He responded to me with "yes sir" or "no sir". He responded to strangers the same. I remember that response directed to little children. He was southern so for ladies, yes, it was "mam". He often told my Brother and I that every person is valuable and the good in them can be seen if you look hard enough in the right place. Two years ago, after a long illness, he passed away quietly in his sleep. I learned far too little from him.

If I ever fail to demonstrate respect and appreciation here, or on the trail, or in town please bring it to my attention so that I may address it.

I enjoy everyone here and value the wisdom, knowledge, and plain association with people who enjoy walking in the woods like I do. If I don't agree with you, I still respect your knowledge, experience, and wisdom.

Rasty, You're quite a guy for posting your statement. OzJacko, I really liked the statement about lubricating! How true. There have been a lot of good posts on this thread. It may help change some of our outlooks. In any case, thank all of you for your posts, they provide me with information, ideas, and entertainment and none of this even costs me a dime.

Sampson
09-06-2012, 09:20
I used to think I liked to hang out with guys cause there's less drama. Humm.... it's hard to tell who's who on here sometimes & I'm 2 lazy to investigate. ;) I think I'm going to rethink that one. :p

I've also been wondering how many yankees post on here as compared to the southerners. I think southerners are less dramic than yankee's. How about those mid-westerners and west coasters? I'm a yankee who lives in the south. I'm loving it!! I will add the south seems to have more dramic people on the trail than up north, maybe. That why we stay vigilent in the south...:cool: Come on down....

Is dramic the masculine form of drama?

HikerMom58
09-06-2012, 09:51
Is dramic the masculine form of drama?

Why yes, I think you may be right. I didn't use that form of that word on purpose but, YES!!- Girls could be drama QUEENS and guys dramatic(not in a good way) KINGS. You knew what my typo meant, right? :o

HikerMom58
09-06-2012, 09:59
I really like this site and am glad I discovered it. Whatever info you need, it's on here somewhere. I like the people, all of you. Folks looking to venture into the woods for the first time, folks with tens of thousands of hiking miles behind them, folks with common sense, wisdom, intellect, it's all here.

I like the information posts, the stories, the sense of friendship and community, and even the drama. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the mods to keep some degree of balance, but I think they do a good job.

My Dad was a plain man. A truck driver and crane operator. One of the most remarkable things I remember about him is that everything he said or did showed respect. He responded to me with "yes sir" or "no sir". He responded to strangers the same. I remember that response directed to little children. He was southern so for ladies, yes, it was "mam". He often told my Brother and I that every person is valuable and the good in them can be seen if you look hard enough in the right place. Two years ago, after a long illness, he passed away quietly in his sleep. I learned far too little from him.

If I ever fail to demonstrate respect and appreciation here, or on the trail, or in town please bring it to my attention so that I may address it.

I enjoy everyone here and value the wisdom, knowledge, and plain association with people who enjoy walking in the woods like I do. If I don't agree with you, I still respect your knowledge, experience, and wisdom.

Rasty, You're quite a guy for posting your statement. OzJacko, I really liked the statement about lubricating! How true. There have been a lot of good posts on this thread. It may help change some of our outlooks. In any case, thank all of you for your posts, they provide me with information, ideas, and entertainment and none of this even costs me a dime.

This, my friend, is an AWESOME post!! Wow!!! There has been many powerful and truthful posts on here as well. pyroman53- another great one!!

The paragraph about your Dad is the BEST!! How lucky, for you, to have such a good role model in your father. I know you must miss him terribly. My Mom also taught me the same thing your Dad taught you. "Every person is valuable and if you look hard enough and in the right place you will see the good in them"... AMEN!!
Can I echo the same thing that you just said about demonstrateing respect and appreication? I am truly sorry for not always showing respect for everyone on here and if I don't show respect, from this day forward, I want someone to call me on it, right away.

I think I could agree with you about the drama piece if I hadn't been the "target" of one of the dramic threads, coming right out of the shoot...It still makes me mad that it happened to me because I thought I was being extra careful NOT to post anything that sounded alarming so I wouldn't draw attention to myself. The last thing I wanted was all the attention my thread recieved. *Ouch* My "outbursts" since then have been pent up feelings about rude and disrespectful remarks towards me and others. Here's hoping that Rasty's post will change some of our outlooks. Thanks againg for your post, Capt Nat :banana

Sampson
09-06-2012, 10:10
Why yes, I think you may be right. I didn't use that form of that word on purpose but, YES!!- Girls could be drama QUEENS and guys dramatic(not in a good way) KINGS. You knew what my typo meant, right? :o

No, I thought girly-man hikers had their own designation. I figured that since the "ic" rhymes with...well, you know what I mean.:-?

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 10:22
Google dramic.

http://dramic.com/

HikerMom58
09-06-2012, 10:37
No, I thought girly-man hikers had their own designation. I figured that since the "ic" rhymes with...well, you know what I mean.:-?

LOL.... Ok well see then we just made up a new word for *ick then... It's dramic. Tell someone they are a dramic and then won't get mad at you but you can still say how you feel about them. (in code) Haha!!:sun
Also, I must really like that word "dramic" .. I just mispelled it AGAIN in my other post... Gray Blazer... the google search is GREAT!!! Who knew?

Drybones
09-06-2012, 13:54
[QUOTE=HikerMomKD;1334511]I'm a yankee who lives in the south. I'm loving it!! QUOTE]

Drybones
09-06-2012, 13:56
[QUOTE=HikerMomKD;1334511]I'm a yankee who lives in the south. I'm loving it!! QUOTE]

Mom...do you know the difference in a yankee and a damned yankee?...............................a yankee comes to visit.......................a damned yankee comes and stays........welcome!

Drybones
09-06-2012, 13:59
[QUOTE=Drybones;1334772]

Mom...do you know the difference in a yankee and a damned yankee?...............................a yankee comes to visit.......................a damned yankee comes and stays........welcome!

And by the way...your livin in my favorite part of the country, lived in Roanoke for five years, spent a lot of time on the New and James Rivers and the national forest around Daleville.

HikerMom58
09-06-2012, 15:19
[QUOTE=Drybones;1334773]

And by the way...your livin in my favorite part of the country, lived in Roanoke for five years, spent a lot of time on the New and James Rivers and the national forest around Daleville.

Haha!! I've never heard of that before... welp, I'm a damned yankee then. I am 100% yankee 2. Both my parents are Yanks. Mom is from NH. Dad is from NY. Thanks for the welcome and Yes, I've called Roanoke home for over 20 years now. I love this valley. That is so cool that you, yourself, lived here for 5 years. Do you ever come back for a visit? Do you have family or any ties here? If you ever come back to the area, we should hang out for coffee or something. I love my yankee roots and I'm proud- BUT I love the South and the people here... so friendly and I still LOVE to hear them talk. :D

Cookerhiker
09-06-2012, 19:13

Your dad was a wise man - truly gifted.

Mountain Mike
02-25-2014, 23:50
Sometimes old threads hold a lot of wisdom.

Deer Hunter
02-26-2014, 00:06

+1..............

illabelle
02-26-2014, 06:24

Funny that I never saw this thread before. I was definitely lurking at the time.
Reading through it, I learned a bit more about a handful of WB personalities.
Sad to see several names in the thread that appear to be no longer active.

HikerMom58
02-26-2014, 08:19
Wow... blast from the past! I felt so vulnerable and insecure back then. It was def. survival mode for me. My first forum ever.

I wanted to be liked by everyone. I wanted to be everybody's friend. That's impossible.

Now, I just want everyone to feel welcome here & not feel afraid to post, if they want too.:)

I love the :banana. I like meeting new people! It was fun reading this thread. :0)

The drama will continue as long as we have breath. I will continue to try not to be a part of it. The best we can do is try.

My advice is to figure out the ones that you don't get along with, either they don't like you or you don't care for them.
Then, avoid interacting with them out of sheer will or put them on ignore. I like ignore b/c it's a visual reminder that they aren't a person you want to interact with. If someone asks you to put them on ignore, it makes your job that much easier.

But , I will add, putting anyone on ignore is bitter sweet. Definitely more bitter than sweet for me. :(

I also believe that it's not so much that we can't agree/agree to disagree on issue's but this form of communication leaves something to be desired. It's been said so many times before by many people and it's true.

It's also true that I have typed things to someone I would NEVER say to their face. That's not cool.:o Luv y'all.

canoe
02-26-2014, 09:31
Wow... blast from the past! I felt so vulnerable and insecure back then. It was def. survival mode for me. My first forum ever.

I wanted to be liked by everyone. I wanted to be everybody's friend. That's impossible.

Now, I just want everyone to feel welcome here & not feel afraid to post, if they want too.:)

I love the :banana. I like meeting new people! It was fun reading this thread. :0)

The drama will continue as long as we have breath. I will continue to try not to be a part of it. The best we can do is try.

My advice is to figure out the ones that you don't get along with, either they don't like you or you don't care for them.
Then, avoid interacting with them out of sheer will or put them on ignore. I like ignore b/c it's a visual reminder that they aren't a person you want to interact with. If someone asks you to put them on ignore, it makes your job that much easier.

But , I will add, putting anyone on ignore is bitter sweet. Definitely more bitter than sweet for me. :(

I also believe that it's not so much that we can't agree/agree to disagree on issue's but this form of communication leaves something to be desired. It's been said so many times before by many people and it's true.

It's also true that I have typed things to someone I would NEVER say to their face. That's not cool.:o Luv y'all. You will always be part of the drama. Thats why we love you.

skinnbones
02-26-2014, 10:45
As a new member I have found this site very helpful. I do soak in all the advice and trail wisdom. Maybe I'm not reading between the lines deep enough, because I sense everybody here is pleasant and friendly.

Sierra2015
02-26-2014, 10:48
As a new member I have found this site very helpful. I do soak in all the advice and trail wisdom. Maybe I'm not reading between the lines deep enough, because I sense everybody here is pleasant and friendly. HikerMom is meeeeaaaan. Don't let her fool you. :p

Teacher & Snacktime
02-26-2014, 12:07
Sierra, clear your mailbox! How can we continue with our chat drama if your mailbox is full?

Sierra2015
02-26-2014, 13:07
Sierra, clear your mailbox! How can we continue with our chat drama if your mailbox is full?
Whoops! Sorry, Teacher! >.<

Drybones
02-26-2014, 15:02
You will always be part of the drama. Thats why we love you.

I see the makings of a trail name.....how about.......DramaMamma.

canoe
02-26-2014, 15:34
I see the makings of a trail name.....how about.......DramaMamma. That would be a good one.

Deer Hunter
02-26-2014, 17:58
I see the makings of a trail name.....how about.......DramaMamma.

Nah Hikermom will do just fine.

Drybones
02-26-2014, 18:39
Nah Hikermom will do just fine.

I have a hunch she's a real sweetheart, looking forward to meeting her one day.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-26-2014, 18:44
Yes she is, and hopefully you will. She's always there for folks passing through her neck of the trail....

hikerboy57
02-26-2014, 18:51
ive met hikermom and she is a pure soul with a good heart.

kayak karl
02-26-2014, 18:52
Sometimes old threads hold a lot of wisdom. and some are like septic tanks :rolleyes:

Teacher & Snacktime
02-26-2014, 19:10
+1........................

Deer Hunter
02-26-2014, 20:22

She is DB. She needs to work on her Yahtzee playing though. :p

Lone Wolf
02-26-2014, 21:34

she's a very nice lady. very giving.

rocketsocks
02-26-2014, 22:16
Funny that I never saw this thread before. I was definitely lurking at the time.
Reading through it, I learned a bit more about a handful of WB personalities.
Sad to see several names in the thread that appear to be no longer active.
Nor did I, think it was when I was on my self imposed sabbatical (walkabout). Thanks for the vote of confidence Rasty, but we know now that's not exactly true...but I try, I really try.

Deer Hunter
02-26-2014, 22:42
Nor did I, think it was when I was on my self imposed sabbatical (walkabout). Thanks for the vote of confidence Rasty, but we know now that's not exactly true...but I try, I really try.

I give you a thumbs up. I always like your posts.

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2014, 22:47
jheesh I just reread the whole thing... wow 2012 and Rasty - it was a joke...

KK up above - damn that's good...

TOW
02-26-2014, 22:50
You know what I'm gonna do next time someone hurts my ego? Not a damn thing

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

rocketsocks
02-26-2014, 23:03
I give you a thumbs up. I always like your posts.
Thanks DH, and I you, never a cross word, same with Mountain Mike both gentlemen, thru and thru.

rocketsocks
02-26-2014, 23:04
You know what I'm gonna do next time someone hurts my ego? Not a damn thing

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2
Me tooooooo........

Trebor66
02-26-2014, 23:05
I had similar thoughts as Rasty a few months ago. Myself and several others were caught up in slamming Dakota Joe for no real reason. It started to get out of control and I finally realized that I didn't like acting in the way that I was. I reached out to DJ when he was passing through my town on his was to the trail. We had dinner together and became friends. I even had a chance to hike with him for a while just north of Neels Gap. All this wouldn't have happened if I continued with all the bull ****. Glad I stopped and even more pleased that I have another friend.

atmilkman
02-26-2014, 23:32
I had similar thoughts as Rasty a few months ago. Myself and several others were caught up in slamming Dakota Joe for no real reason. It started to get out of control and I finally realized that I didn't like acting in the way that I was. I reached out to DJ when he was passing through my town on his was to the trail. We had dinner together and became friends. I even had a chance to hike with him for a while just north of Neels Gap. All this wouldn't have happened if I continued with all the bull ****. Glad I stopped and even more pleased that I have another friend.
It happens to everybody. You said something you wished you hadn't and then it's too late. I think most of us on here have known each other long enough and have read enough good stuff from each other to realize they really didn't mean that. I try and not hold anything against anyone and just let it pass and it will work it's way out. Give everybody the benefit of the doubt. I only hope that when I say something stupid people realize from my good stuff that that's not the way I intended it to come out and can let it slide. I try to do that with everybody. It usually works out for the best as in your case.
I

atmilkman
02-26-2014, 23:35
It happens to everybody. You said something you wished you hadn't and then it's too late. I think most of us on here have known each other long enough and have read enough good stuff from each other to realize they really didn't mean that. I try and not hold anything against anyone and just let it pass and it will work it's way out. Give everybody the benefit of the doubt. I only hope that when I say something stupid people realize from my good stuff that that's not the way I intended it to come out and can let it slide. I try to do that with everybody. It usually works out for the best as in your case.
I

I just realized that was my first post in this thread. On a 2 year old one at that. That doesn't happen often. :)

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2014, 23:41
It happens, I was worse a long time ago prior to the WB Shutdown... things do get better, all I can say is I cannot fix the past... I can try to improve in the future.

Deer Hunter
02-26-2014, 23:47
I just realized that was my first post in this thread. On a 2 year old one at that. That doesn't happen often. :)

Nice signature song!

atmilkman
02-27-2014, 00:01
Nice signature song!
Thanks DH. You hear that everybody. DH ain't foolin'. Click on and hear for yourself. Might change your mind about walkin' in the fog.

Astro
02-27-2014, 01:23

She is simply the best! A great pleasure to meet. :)

illabelle
02-27-2014, 05:35
and some are like septic tanks :rolleyes:

Now now, if this is like a septic tank, and we're all in it, are you saying we're a bunch a turds??? :D:eek:

Drybones
02-27-2014, 09:10
I

That was a good post ATM, we all suffer from hoof in mouth desease from time to time, some of us more than others, definetly had my share of cases.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 09:17
Thanks DH. You hear that everybody. DH ain't foolin'. Click on and hear for yourself. Might change your mind about walkin' in the fog.

Speaking of fog, I was sitting around the one Friday night a couple of weeks ago, was raining hard outside, decided to pack up and hike to Blue Mountain Shelter, spend the night and soak up some solitude. The rain had almost stopped by the time I got to the trailhead but the fog was so dense I could hardly see the ground at times let alone the blazes, took a while, lucky I didn't have to spend the night sitting against a tree on the mountain side, worked out well tho, I was definely the only soul out that night.

Lemni Skate
02-27-2014, 13:37
Yeah, I was shocked how much people made fun of me when I first came on here and asked honest questions. It never bothered me too much, but I could see a lot of people deciding white blaze and maybe the trail community in general is not really full of very nice people. This is the opposite of the truth, but sometimes we give off a bad vibe.