PDA

View Full Version : Water conditions in Connecticut/Southern Mass

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2012, 22:14
Has anyone been out recently in Connecticut or Southern Mass? If so, how are the streams and springs?

Hoping we get some more rain between now and next week.

GoldenBear
09-04-2012, 23:11
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7444-Hot-in-Connecticut-Part-2

"And this is the word I want to make clear to anyone doing Connecticut in the next month or so -- get water WHEREVER you can, as most streams, creeks, and springs have definitely dried up."

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?2057-Shaker-Campsite&p=1320526&highlight=#post1320526

"Note that, on the whole, the area is getting pretty low on water; get it when you can."

Energizer Bunny
09-05-2012, 20:44
I hiked from Salisbury, CT to Great Barrington. We stayed at Laurel Ridge Campsite the first night and were able to get water at the waterfall across from the campsite. There was no water until after Mt Everett where a good Samaritan leaves bottles at the Guilder Pond Picnic. The next day we tried to make it to Tom Leonard Shelter and there was no water during the stretch from the picnic area. That is why we cut our hike short - no water. I hope you have better luck!

xbEaNsx
09-06-2012, 11:12
Would love to hear some more specific updates on this if anybody is out there over the next week or so. I was planning on doing the CT section this month. Thanks!

Driver8
09-06-2012, 11:59
Would love to hear some more specific updates on this if anybody is out there over the next week or so. I was planning on doing the CT section this month. Thanks!

Based on Energizer Bunny's report and my many hikes in the area, I would infer that you can get water from Race Brook by taking the Race Brook Falls trail just past the campsite. You can certainly get water from Guilder Pond, just northwest of the trail on a blue blaze north of the Guilder Pond picnic and parking area, if somehow a trail angel hasn't otherwise provided. You will want to filter or treat the pond's water, I'd think. The brook in Sages Ravine almost certainly has plenty of good water, too, and Brassie Brook should, too. In Barrington, reports this summer are of trail magic water often at the Rt. 7 crossing, and in South Egrement of it sometimes at Jug End Road. It's easy to hop off trail at Rt. 7 if no trail magic for water. I was a dry June to late July, but we did get a good amount of rain after that for a while, though it's been somewhat dry in the past few weeks or so, again, so it's not going to be super wet. The smart move would be that if you see good, running water, get some while you can.

xbEaNsx
09-06-2012, 12:17
Based on Energizer Bunny's report and my many hikes in the area, I would infer that you can get water from Race Brook by taking the Race Brook Falls trail just past the campsite. You can certainly get water from Guilder Pond, just northwest of the trail on a blue blaze north of the Guilder Pond picnic and parking area, if somehow a trail angel hasn't otherwise provided. You will want to filter or treat the pond's water, I'd think. The brook in Sages Ravine almost certainly has plenty of good water, too, and Brassie Brook should, too. In Barrington, reports this summer are of trail magic water often at the Rt. 7 crossing, and in South Egrement of it sometimes at Jug End Road. It's easy to hop off trail at Rt. 7 if no trail magic for water. I was a dry June to late July, but we did get a good amount of rain after that for a while, though it's been somewhat dry in the past few weeks or so, again, so it's not going to be super wet. The smart move would be that if you see good, running water, get some while you can.

Thanks Driver! Bringing along my filter and Aquamira as a backup. I assumed Brassie and Sages would be running for sure. Ending the hike near Sages so won't make it out to Race Brook Falls at all. Any additional info on water sources further south in CT?? Best sources? Shelter/Camp sources that tend to be pretty reliable?

Can you drink water from the Housatonic if you filter/treat it??

Driver8
09-07-2012, 00:26
The common wisdom is not to drink from the Housy, but I bet it'd be fine if filtered. There are PCBs in the streambed from an old GE plant in the 70s and before, but my best reckoning would be that if the water's running moderately, it wouldn't be stirred up too much, so not a problem. I've hiked from Great Falls north to Jug End. Water sources south of Brassie include Ball Brook, which will resemble Brassie in terms of flow, and there's a small brook or two maybe 1.5 miles SOBO from Lion's Head that can be tapped. There's a pump/wellhead/faucet/somesuch in the old cemetery between 41 and 44 in Salisbury right off the trail that should be OK. South of 44, maybe two miles, there's a small brook the trail crosses maybe a mile NOBO from Giant's Thumb that would be less than reliable now, I'd think. If you really need water and are willing to work for it, take the Limestone Spring spur trail south off the AT (it's an old A.T. routing). It soon meets a brook which, sooner or later - you will hope sooner - will be running. It gets steep and a bit treacherous maybe 0.3 south of the A.T., but it is beautiful. The water in the brook down in the hollow, about 500' in elevation below the A.T., is very fresh and tasty most of the time, the moreso b/c there's lots of limestone in the streambed. Very pretty place down there.

I have not done the A.T. south of Great Falls with one small exception, so I can't say much about water sources past that. I've read from trail journals of thrus that it's been very dry down there this summer, as with the part of the trail I know well. Pray for rain and, other than that, grab good running water where you can. Hope your hike goes well. :)

chip2012
09-07-2012, 07:46
Just left mass and leaving ct today. Water hadn't been that much of an issue. There is a huge water cache near the mass-ct line. A lot of the springs are still flowing.

xbEaNsx
09-08-2012, 22:55
Awesome, really helpful reply there Driver. Thanks for taking the time. I will take notes.

Driver8
09-08-2012, 23:13
Awesome, really helpful reply there Driver. Thanks for taking the time. I will take notes.

Happy to be helpful. Hope your hike goes well.

Driver8
09-08-2012, 23:16
PS: Prayers for rain are being answered in spades this weekend. You should be fine for water if you go in the next week.