PDA

View Full Version : One week on the AT

leeds12
09-04-2012, 22:26
Hello All,
I live in Minneapoilis, and want to fly out east for a week of hiking on the AT the first week of October, and was wondering if its possible to spend that week in Shenandoah NP. Where would I fly in, are there shuttles because I don't want to rent a car, and would it be too cold up in the mountains? If not in Shenandoah, how about south Carolina?
Any ideas?

JJJ
09-04-2012, 22:40
Temp could easily dip into the 20s or less but daytime 50-70s should be par.
You can probably get a reasonably priced flight into Dulles, then Front Royal at the north end of SNP is about an hour by car.
I'd look for a shuttle from Front Royal to drop me at the south end and then walk to them.
Should be good leaf color at that time too.

Chaco Taco
09-04-2012, 22:46
Vermont.....just sayin

Donde
09-04-2012, 23:33
If it's gonna be SNP JJJ nailed it.
In the same vein as Chaco, Grayson Highlands I'm just sayin'.
Finally, I assure you that a one week AT hike in SC in OCT will not work out well.

Tinker
09-05-2012, 01:18
Vermont.....just sayin

Absolutely! Can't beat the colors in those maple trees!

Temps in the Vt. mountains probably won't get much below freezing, with 20 being pretty low for that time of year (disclaimer: weird weather can happen any time of the year, especially in the mountains).

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 08:00
Since you're talking the first week in October, I think you're more likely to encounter Fall colors in Vermont than further south. Options include flying to New York or Newark, taking AMTRAK's Ethan Allen Express (http://www.amtrak.com/ethan-allen-express-train) to Rutland, and getting a shuttle to the trail. Hike south to North Adams, MA. I believe you can catch buses from there to NY or get a shuttle to Albany and take AMTRAK back to NY. If your time schedule doesn't quite permit hiking the 108 miles to N. Adams, then end your hike at Rt. 9 outside Bennington (90 Miles) and get your shuttle to Albany.

Shuttle and other transportation info. from the ATC's list. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/form-990/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-8-21-12.pdf)

FarmerChef
09-05-2012, 14:51
I've done SNP in October and the foliage was stunning. But...you can't know until you get closer. The great thing about SNP is the elevation difference between the ridge top and valley floor provides for a good chance of seeing colors at some point and for longer. Plus SNP has lots of overlooks to enjoy. Haven't been to VT in the fall but I've heard great things ;)