PDA

View Full Version : A Cheap Hike: Breakdown of money spent on my hike

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 00:31
I was going to post this in another thread where someone asked how much money is needed to complete the trail. I ended up going into more depth than intended so I made it a new thread.

I completed the trail this year 2012 northbound from 3/22-7/23 (4 months 1 day with 10 zeros). Yes, I went kind of fast. Not because I had to, but because that was my pace. I spent under $2600. This $2600 includes everything from getting off the plane in Atlanta to stepping off the plane in Dallas. This was done with zero maildrops. I purchased all my food on the trail. I recommend starting the trail with $4000+ but that does not mean you have to spend it all.
First, What the $2600 does not include: starting gear, plane ticket to Atlanta, first 4 days of food.

What $2600 bought me:

$150 spent on 2 pairs of new shoes, $50 on 3 new pairs of socks, $40 for superfeet, $35 raft at NOC, other on trail gear purchases (aqua mira, etc.), and around $300 for bus/plane ticket home from Boston.
~$575 on gear/trip home

I stayed in hostels all the time and a few hotels which I always shared (all prices subject to change for 2013): Bold - likely to be around in 2013 Non-bold - unlikely to be available in 2013 ? - unsure of price

Hiker hostel ($80), includes dinner, breakfast, pickup from airport, drop of at Amicalola State Park
Ron Havens budget inn Hiawassee (split 4 ways, my share $16), a cheap rundown hotel
Elmers in Hot Springs ($36), beautiful 1800's Victorian Mansion, $20 bed 2x per room, $10 dinner, $6 breakfast
Uncle Johnnys Erwin ($8), $8 to tent, Not worth it in my opinion. Included shower and towel. Should have swam in the river 10 feet outside of the hostel and tented out of town
Kincora x3 ($15 total), Donation based, lots of AT heritage, bed, shower, laundry
The Place Damascus x2 ($12 total), Donation based, bed/shower
Vicar's House (free)
Holy Family Church Hostel Pearisburg ($5?), Donation based, bed
4 pines hostel ($5), Donation based
Trail Angel's house in Daleville (free)
friends house Waynesboro VA (free)
trail days tent city Damascus x2 ($5 total)
Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel ($20?) bed, shower, laundry
Trail Angels House D.C. from Harpers Ferry x2 (free)
Ironmasters Mansion Hostel Pine Grove Furnace State Park ($20?) bed, shower, dinner
Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse Boiling Springs (split 2 ways, my share $20) $40 room is thru hiker rate includes bed and shower. Is a ritzy upscale penthouse for the retired rich. Food is extra but sooooo worth it. AYCE seafood was amazing for $13. Breakfast was also AYCE.
Jail House Hostel Palmerton (free) Bed
Red Carpet Inn Wind Gap (split 3 ways, my share $20) bed/shower
Church of the Mountain Delware Water Gap x2 ($10 total) Bed/shower, donation based
High Point Country Inn (split 2 ways, my share $20) Nice hotel. bed/shower. $7 laundry.
Clarence Fahnestock State Park (tented free with showers etc.)
Bearded Woods hostel Falls Village ($50) $50 includes bed, shower, dinner with first beer on house, Breakfast. Nicest place I stayed on the trail. New for 2012.
Upper Goose Pond Cabin (free for thrus) bed
Toms house in Dalton (free)
Green Mountain Hostel Manchester Center ($20) bed, shower, laundry, free Ben & Jerrys
huts in the White Mountains x3 (work for stay) bed, leftovers
White Mountain Lodge and Hostel Gorham ($20?) bed, shower, laundry, breakfast
Trail Angel House Rangely (free)
Northern Outdoors Caratunk (split 4 ways, my share $20) bed, shower, hot tub, game room, coin laundry
Tented at Hiker Haven (free)
Abol Bridge Campground ($10)
Appalachian Trail Lodge and Cafe Millinocket ($25) bed, shower, laundry

~$437 for hostels and hotels, I stayed at a few more campgrounds that I can not remember that were around $5 each (showers/elec). A total of 32 stays some double and triple nights with 124 days on the trail, so roughly a bed/shower/laundry every 4 days. The biggest reason however for staying at a hostel was they typically included rides into town for groceries when stores were outside of reasonable walking distance.

$2600-$575-$437= $1588
~$1588 is how much I spent on food/fuel/consumables.
On the trail I typically carried around 4 days of food. Through the Smokies I carried 5 days of food. From NJ to Mass I carried around 2 days of food. The deli's from NJ to Mass are amazing other than paying $1 for fruit!
This averages to ~$13 a day, or better ~$40 for 4 days of food from the grocery + ~$10 at a restaurant. This is actually really close to receipt purchases. In the south before the appetite hit I was spending around $30 at the grocery stores. In the northern sections I was eating more and the price of food went up, so I was spending around $50.

Trail Food: Breakfast consisted mostly of pop tarts. In the earlier colder sections I had oatmeal and cream cheese + bagels too. Cream cheese did not survive in the summer. Cereal bars were amazing but more expensive compared to pop tarts.
Lunch consisted of salami/cheese, or peanut butter/chocolate, or tuna on sandwich thins/tortillas.
Dinner consisted of tuna, chicken pouches, lipton sides, mac n cheese, peanut butter sandwich thins, cheese, salami, couscous, instant mashed potatos, stuffing etc. I ate ramen a max of 5 times.
Snacks: bars, M&Ms, raisins, mixed nuts, peanuts, almonds, fruit, chocolate, cookies, little debbies (not often), mixed fruit, gummies

Some further break downs. Out of that ~$1588 food budget I ate ~$500 (120 days x 4 per day x ~$1 each) in bars (power bars, cliff bars, luna bars, kind bars, etc.). I ate somewhere around $150 in pop tarts.

In my opinion I splurged often and enjoyed myself. Plenty of comfortable nights and good food. Sometimes even at nicer sit down restaurants and an occassional AYCE. I enjoyed my hike and I have no regrettes not spending more money. I got to see Washington D.C. (on Memorial Day btw), and everything else the trail had to offer. Admittedly I would have liked to see NYC, but the opportunity was not logistically simple enough. AT train only runs on weekends :mad:

So what does this all mean or "some tips for spending less"?

If I did the average 6 month completion date I would have spent around $3400 if everything went perfect (no broken gear). I saved myself $800 spending 2 less months on the trail. Walk faster or walk longer (get up early or walk later into the day, spend less time eating lunch, maybe even eat lunch on the go)
If I varied my diet less and consumed cheaper food (peanuts instead of bars, off brand pop tarts, more ramen) I could have easily saved a lot of food money. ~$100 saved eating only ramen, ~$300 saved eating peanuts instead of bars, etc.
If I only went to donation based hostels and did not donate I could have saved $437.
Don't pay to set up your tent. You can save that money by walking out of town and setting up your tent.
Do not splurge on activities if money is tight. Rafting was incredibly fun, but I would not have gone if it would break the bank.
If money is an issue avoid tourist traps (Gatlinburg, D.C., NYC etc.)
Don't buy new gear until you have properly worn out your current gear. I bought 2 pairs of shoes at the same time to save on shipping when my first pair died. I never needed the third pair because the second made it barely to Katahdin.
Maildrops have their pros and cons. They may save you money.
Some towns cater to hikers. I got free food, free lunch, free drinks etc. The guide book has most of these, but sometimes trail rumors and registrys can hold some gems.
People are nice. They may offer you some serious trail magic if they notice you are thru hiking and live close by. Be courteous and people will open their doors for you.
Hiker boxes can contain just what you were looking for. Hit them before going shopping.
If you hike with others and they receive maildrops hit them up before they drop any extras in the hiker box.
Double nero instead of taking a zero. Short walk into town, sleep in town, leave town late next day and don't walk far out of town. Spend money for 1 night in hostel/hotel instead of 2 nights for a zero.
Take your zeros at cheap hostels instead of expensive ones.
Share hotels with other hikers
Don't pay for slackpacking.

I personally don't think you can hike the trail under $1500 anymore. It might be possible with some serious frugal tendencies (dumpster diving), starting overweight to consume less while still hiking fast, and luck. Even if you did I think at some point you need to consider if doing so will be detrimental to the experience. If not, all the power to you. In the end, you need to hike your own hike. Use every tip I have and hike as cheap as possible, hike similar to me and splurge now and than, or don't and hike like a king. Just enjoy yourself and hike safe.

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 00:34
Also, stay away from alcohol... and narcotics. Stuff is expensive.

fireneck
09-05-2012, 00:49
This is a nice write up, interesting to say the least. I will be looking at my expenses from my hike more in depth this fall. I spent about $2,500. I completely agree that the double nearo is KEY to saving money on the trail. It was also great being a non-drinker/smoker/druggie,
but hey HYOH!

Blissful
09-05-2012, 08:37
Great write up.

Jeff
09-05-2012, 08:47
Excellent resource for future thruhikers.

One point to keep in mind. 2012 had very mild weather during the NOBO hiker season. Most hikers only saw a day or two of snow and there were very few periods of prolonged rain. Nothing drives a hiker to town faster than bad weather. And, nothing raises the cost of a thruhike like town stays.

Thanks for posting SpiderDog !!!

Thirsty DPD
09-05-2012, 08:54
The voice of experience, excellent, thanks for taking the time.

moocow
09-05-2012, 09:21
Well done.

Astro
09-05-2012, 10:02
SpiderDog,
Excellent job! And thanks for starting a new post instead of responding to another, thus making it easier for people to find.

Tom Murphy
09-05-2012, 10:23
Thank you for an excellent post.

I would love to see a similar post from someone who hiked a bit slower, drank and smoked, didn't share hotel rooms, and zero'd in town every 4 days [cause that's how I envision my hike someday....]

Grampie
09-05-2012, 11:33
Thanks for shareing your experience. It should help some future thru-hikers. You should have given a few $ at Upper Goose Pond even though they don't require giving anything to stay.

Josh Calhoun
09-05-2012, 11:36
great post! thanks for sharing this

canoe
09-05-2012, 12:01
Thanks for the Info ...Its good to know you can hike for less than 5k.

Water Rat
09-05-2012, 12:08
SpiderDog - Thanks for the post! I like reading posts like this because it helps me with my research and planning. The outline of my planned hike it taking shape... Your post, and others like this, have helped me to realize where I may have forgotten to add an expense. Thanks for the tips!

HikerMom58
09-05-2012, 12:33
That is sweet...very helpful indeed! I agree with you about Uncle Johnny's Place in Erwin. Skip it. Also, it's good see all the help that the trail angels gave you along the way. Nice that you found one in Daleville, VA :)

I agree with your statement that people will open their doors for you for the reasons you stated. :)

I also agree that you shouldn't ever pay for slack packing. Wise choice.

Congrats on your completed thru hike.. WTG!! :)

Sampson
09-05-2012, 13:11
Northern Outdoors Caratunk (split 4 ways, my share $20) bed, shower, hot tub, game room, coin laundry

Not trying to dismiss the general point of the post which I think you did a great job breaking down, but wanted to ask about this place because I'm heading up there tomorrow for some whitewater rafting and 4 wheeling for a friends bachelor party. We're staying until Sunday so I hope to to dome local trails if time permits. How was it up there?

Jeff
09-05-2012, 13:17

Could you explain your reasoning??

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 14:17
Thank you for an excellent post.

I would love to see a similar post from someone who hiked a bit slower, drank and smoked, didn't share hotel rooms, and zero'd in town every 4 days [cause that's how I envision my hike someday....]

I actually do drink alcohol, but I did so sparingly on the trail. It is so much cheaper to go and buy/share a 6 pack or cans instead of hitting the bars.

Thanks for shareing your experience. It should help some future thru-hikers. You should have given a few $ at Upper Goose Pond even though they don't require giving anything to stay.

Agreed. I arrived at 8:50p.m., ate dinner and crashed. Forgot to donate on my way out in the morning. The caretaker even made us blueberry pancakes!

Not trying to dismiss the general point of the post which I think you did a great job breaking down, but wanted to ask about this place because I'm heading up there tomorrow for some whitewater rafting and 4 wheeling for a friends bachelor party. We're staying until Sunday so I hope to to dome local trails if time permits. How was it up there?

Great place. One of the nicer places along the trail. Weekends are busy I think, but it can accommodate crowds. Restaurant had good food but the prices are a bit sketchy (menu is old). The bar is awesome. If you don't know they have their own microbrewery downstairs that you can visit. I highly suggest trying their 5 dollar 5x 4oz sampler. The blueberry rye is amazing.

Drybones
09-05-2012, 15:25
Best post and useful info I've seen for a would be thru hiker. Well done!!

forrest!
09-05-2012, 15:30
Thanks for this - great write-up.

My question: You rafted at the NOC but you didn't stay there overnight? Did you just camp nearby?

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 16:11
Thanks for this - great write-up.

My question: You rafted at the NOC but you didn't stay there overnight? Did you just camp nearby?

I didn't feel like paying to tent. After some talk with the locals a few other hikers and myself found out that walking down the nearby railroad (few hundred yards) there was a campsite next to the river that is outside NOC property line. Great campsite I might add with a beautiful view.

l84toff
09-05-2012, 18:45
Awesome post. The AT has officially been on my radar for a while and really appreciate hands on info like this. Been lurking here for a while but think that post deserves a big THANKS for posting!

Spirit Walker
09-05-2012, 22:08
Only $5 donations for hostels? No wonder they're closing. Better than stiffing them, but not much.

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 23:07
Only $5 donations for hostels? No wonder they're closing. Better than stiffing them, but not much.

Ugh. I figured someone would comment on that. I should have left it out.

1. I did not have to donate anything if I did not want to.
2. Your view of value for services provided is different compared to every other persons view of value to services provided.
3. Everyone was treated differently at hostels, pay how you were treated
4. If everyone paid $5 it would be like every fourth person giving a $20 (which I doubt they even get).

Now for a breakdown:
Kindcora - suggested donation $5. How much did i pay? $5 a night, +$3 fuel, + overly chipped in for community dinners. There were 26 people in the hostel while I was there and I am sure I was one of the few that donated anything.
The Place - suggested donation $6. How much did I pay? $6 a night. I would have donated more if I had not been "pressured" into donating at all.
Holy Family Church Hostel - don't remember much about this one. I paid the suggested donation but I don't remember if it was $5.
4 pines hostel - no suggested donation, I gave $5 because I slept on the floor.
Jail House Hostel - don't remember them accepting donations. Slept on a table because the bunks were full.
Upper Goose Pond Cabin - explained within thread already
Church of the Mountain - no suggested donation. I donated $5 a night based on services received compared to other hostels. First night there I slept on the floor.

I'm sorry you feel I should pay more, but if i am "expected" to pay more than $5 a night to sleep on floors I would have just tented for free. In that scenario the hostel gets nothing.

Mountain Mike
09-05-2012, 23:21
Great post! Glad to see a current hike put it in real time/cost. I wish more people kept better track when they post it coast "x$$" amount to hike the trail. I will try more on future hikes. You post is clear as to how & where you spent your money. It provides a good base for others to plan on & adjust their budget. The only thing I would you expand on is what was your typical menu so others can plan on/around that too. You mentioned it somewhat but I would like more detail.

JohnWayne
09-05-2012, 23:39
As long as a guy pays the recommended amount, that is fine. As for The Place, well it seems like many other hikers aren't pulling their fair share along the trail with donations so reckon that's why they need to pressure folks. And do you really think you would have donated more? You donated the suggested minimum amount at every other hostel so doubt it would be different partner. And that's cool. You don't owe them more especially sleeping on the floor. But ya got to understand why some hostels are pressuring folks. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it.

Moose2001
09-05-2012, 23:46
Ugh. I figured someone would comment on that. I should have left it out.

2. Your view of value for services provided is different compared to every other persons view of value to services provided.
3. Everyone was treated differently at hostels, pay how you were treated
4. If everyone paid $5 it would be like every fourth person giving a $20 (which I doubt they even get).

Ahhhh....the old thru hiker sense of entitlement rears it's head once again. It amazes me any hostels stay open when hikers have this kind of attitude.

SpiderDog
09-05-2012, 23:54
As long as a guy pays the recommended amount, that is fine. As for The Place, well it seems like many other hikers aren't pulling their fair share along the trail with donations so reckon that's why they need to pressure folks. And do you really think you would have donated more? You donated the suggested minimum amount at every other hostel so doubt it would be different partner. And that's cool. You don't owe them more especially sleeping on the floor. But ya got to understand why some hostels are pressuring folks. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it.

O yeah. I understood the reasoning for pressuring into paying, but I view it similarly to tipping at restaurants where I should never feel pressured about what I pay. I did pay mostly suggested donations and I'm not sure if I would have paid more than suggested at most places. Many of the donation hostels are run down. This could be for lack of donations or the donations being used as income instead of hostel upkeep. If I had not slept on a floor at church of the mountain I would have likely donated more (I also think that was all the cash I had on me there, used a lot for a cab ride). For a donation hostel it was very nice. I tried donating at places that did not have donations at all like Toms in Dalton and he would not accept it.

SpiderDog
09-06-2012, 00:05
Ahhhh....the old thru hiker sense of entitlement rears it's head once again. It amazes me any hostels stay open when hikers have this kind of attitude.

I see no entitlement in that comment at all. I paid what I thought was fair. Not what I felt I was entitled to. Do you expect me to pay extra because other people do not pay their share?? Seriously, you can feel good about it if you want to pay extra, but don't expect everyone else to do the same and don't shun others for paying what they deem fair. No wonder whiteblaze has such a poor reputation among hikers. Everyone thinks their way is the right way.

Mountain Mike
09-06-2012, 00:15
A donation" do·na·tion   [doh-ney-shuhn] Show IPAnoun1.an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant,or contribution.

2.a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

If a place feels they need to charge more let it be known. While hikers appreciate the cheap accommodations it's a donation at the end of the day. I say give more if you can but not fault others that feel different. On my thru I gave what was suggested. On section hikes I give a lot more.

Moose2001
09-06-2012, 00:19

That "justification" is the reason why so many hostels struggle. You knew what the hostel was asking for if you stayed. You choose to stay. No one twisted your arm. Therefore, you should pay what was asked. Saying you don't have to pay if you don't want to is wrong.

SpiderDog
09-06-2012, 00:21
That "justification" is the reason why so many hostels struggle. You knew what the hostel was asking for if you stayed. You choose to stay. No one twisted your arm. Therefore, you should pay what was asked. Saying you don't have to pay if you don't want to is wrong.

Wrong. Saying I don't have to pay is LEGALLY correct. Social terms say I "should" pay.

SpiderDog
09-06-2012, 00:24

Not paying is no more wrong than paying is right.

Mountain Mike
09-06-2012, 00:26
Think we are drifting off topic. OP was very good post on actual recent cost to hike.

JohnWayne
09-06-2012, 00:38
Come on Moose, give the kid a break. At least he paid the suggested donation which is a heck lot more than most. Thanks Spider for the breakdown. You did good.

sublimety
09-06-2012, 00:55
I see no entitlement in that comment at all. I paid what I thought was fair. Not what I felt I was entitled to. Do you expect me to pay extra because other people do not pay their share?? Seriously, you can feel good about it if you want to pay extra, but don't expect everyone else to do the same and don't shun others for paying what they deem fair. No wonder whiteblaze has such a poor reputation among hikers. Everyone thinks their way is the right way.
Exactly, I wonder why I even come to this sight half the time. But then I run across a thread like yours and remember that is why. Great Post don't let em get you down.

Leanthree
09-06-2012, 01:08
Agreed, great post. We can discuss the merits of donations, minimum suggested donation, mandatory donations, struggling hostels, etc. somewhere else.

Mags
09-06-2012, 09:40
Think the real key here was 4 mos to do a thru-hike vs 6 mos. Staying in towns less (which contributes to a 'fast' hike) also helps a lot. I am just waiting for the 'stop to smell the roses' people to chime in. :D

Thanks for a realistic, well written and thought out post. Every few months someone asks how to do it on the cheap...here ya go.

As for paying at hostels, the OP did give the suggested amount. If not as generous as some, much better than most.....(which is another thread in itself)

garlic08
09-06-2012, 10:59
Yes, good post, and I'll add my compliments and congratulations. After my 3.5 month thru (which cost $3500), I tabulated my expenses. It was good for me to see that I spent as much on town food as I did on trail food, for instance, and that trail food cost less than $8 per day. I've used those numbers ever since for other trips. The figures worked for me to predict and control costs on a X-C bicycle tour this year--I undercut my expected $1000/month budget by about $300/month.

One reason my hike was more expensive than the OP's was I didn't stay in hostels. I decided to mostly spring for motels when I had a choice, especially since I was hiking with a partner and we could split the cost (and we are both old guys with credit cards). Reading the thread drift above makes me glad I didn't stay in hostels.

Ditto Mags' comment about a four month hike vs a six month hike. That makes a big difference in budget (bigger than the OP opines, I think). Also ditto the comment about a realistic and achievable budget.

Suckerfish
09-06-2012, 11:38
I didnt see but wanted to ask, do you have to pay people to take you into town? I know some road crossings might have shuttles there waiting, is it better to just hitch a ride in, find a female hiker on trail and get them to hitch out by the curb?

Don H
09-06-2012, 11:51
Yea, sometimes hostels and hotels run shuttles for a fee.

Fontana Village charges I think $3.
Ron Haven doesn't charge to take you to Franklin, TN. and won't even take a donation (of course most stay at one of his motels)
The Hostel in Stratton charges a few bucks if you didn't stay with them.
The AT lodge charges to take you from Katahdin to Millinocket.
There's a few others but it's never very much.

Most of the time hikers just hitch a ride into town. I always offer a few bucks for gas but have never had anyone accept. I've heard some people will ask for money from you when you hitch but that never happened to me.

Sly
09-06-2012, 11:56
Great accounting. With smokes and alcohol, add $1000-$1500.

Sly
09-06-2012, 12:03

Hopefully they mean, never slackpack (which is fun sometimes but I feel naked without my pack), because otherwise they'd be expecting someone else to pick up expenses incurred.

Sly
09-06-2012, 12:18
Come on Moose, give the kid a break. At least he paid the suggested donation which is a heck lot more than most. Thanks Spider for the breakdown. You did good.

I agree, he paid the suggested donation. He shouldn't be expected to cover those that stiff the hostels. If hostels need more they should ask for more.

turtle fast
09-06-2012, 12:39
Nicely done on the accounting of your hiking costs. It really helps us understand the costs of a hike at your chosen comfort level. Not to frugal, yet missing some nice hostel and hotel stays. (ie Mountain Harbor B&B, Dutch Haus B&B, etc)

SpiderDog
09-06-2012, 15:44
Nicely done on the accounting of your hiking costs. It really helps us understand the costs of a hike at your chosen comfort level. Not to frugal, yet missing some nice hostel and hotel stays. (ie Mountain Harbor B&B, Dutch Haus B&B, etc)

I hit the Dutch Haus too early to stay for a night, but I did hike down and eat lunch with them. Very nice place. There were a few other hostels I would have liked to stay at, but they were to close in proximity to the last hostel. (Front Royal Hostel is like 30 miles from Bears Den)

Bronk
09-07-2012, 01:49
I didn't feel like paying to tent. After some talk with the locals a few other hikers and myself found out that walking down the nearby railroad (few hundred yards) there was a campsite next to the river that is outside NOC property line. Great campsite I might add with a beautiful view.

Wish I had known about this...it was a steep climb out of there in the dark and I pitched my tent at the first flat spot I could find.

jesse
09-07-2012, 03:41
Great accounting. With smokes and alcohol, add $1000-$1500.

Useful for budgeting, but should not be counted as part of the cost of a thru hike, if you would have spent that much on smokes/alcohol if you'd stayed at home. Same can be said for food.

jesse
09-07-2012, 03:43

Cause slack packing is lame.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 04:42
Thanks for a great post and congrats on the hike.
As someone who doesn't have too much of an issue with budget "tightness" I expect that I will spend a fair bit more and donate more to help the balance.
As far your donations are concerned you've been honest and whether big or small donators hikers should be honest about them.
You paid what you felt you should/could.
If we could stop the no payers, there are enough who pay more to make the balance better.
Your comments about two "neroes" instead of a zero is excellent advice for the budget conscious. I intend to do a lot of this anyway to prevent being sucked into losing to many days.
All in all an excellent post to direct all the "how much?" queries to. The kind of post that makes WB such a great resource!

DaSchwartz
09-07-2012, 14:06
Useful for budgeting, but should not be counted as part of the cost of a thru hike,

Completely disagree. ANY and ALL money spent while hiking is the cost of the thru-hike. If your not counting those costs you are only deceiving yourself.

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 15:27
QUOTE=Sly;1334723]Hopefully they mean, never slackpack (which is fun sometimes but I feel naked without my pack), because otherwise they'd be expecting someone else to pick up expenses incurred.[/QUOTE]

Hey Sly,Jeff and Jesse ... just now seeing this post. Ok.. you're not prob. not going to like/agree with my reasoning for the comment. Luckily, I've read about how you might feel about slackpacking so I'm informed... yay! :) I don't have a prob. with slackpacking hiking, myself, or offering to slackpack my hiker friends. So to further explain my response then, I would say that slackpacking is a luxury while on the trail. The OP seemed like he was trying to keep those expenses down. It was not an expense that he would have incurred but like any other trail magic offered- yes, someone has to pay for the luxury of slackpacking etc.... I thought that he was making a wise choice in not paying for slackpacking, himself. I think he could have had slackpacking offered to him as trail magic without too much trouble and if not, it seems like he didn't want to spend the money, for the service. Very wise in IMHO.

When i offer it, myself, I try to combine the slackpacking with another piece of trail magic, like a ride ,at the end of the section, to the Homeplace for a great, all you can eat, southern meal. It's really easy to slackpack hikers from Daleville to RT. 311. It's a nice 20 mile stretch.

Having said all that though, I don't have a problem with you not liking to slackpack yourself or not approving of others enjoying it, for some really great reasons, that you have thought long and hard about. That's fine. No problem, if you don't get in anyone's face about your feelings/opinions. I'm not trying to say that you would do that... just sayin... Live and let live....

Montana AT05
09-07-2012, 20:07
Excellent write-up and thank you for doing it, too bad some folks had to chime and critique your donations. They are like people who ask your opinion and get upset if your opinion is not what they wanted to hear. They keep using that word opinion (donation), and I don't think they understand it.

Nice hotels are my $$ curse on long hikes. I prefer them for the cleanness, the quiet (less chance of the "beer on the trail" cliques) and the usually included breakfasts.