PDA

View Full Version : It was 1 year ago today.......

Different Socks
09-05-2012, 13:08
that I was in a horrible accident and almost died.
After a wondrous 20 mile back country day hike beyond Hidden lake in Glacier NP, I was on my home riding my wheels and I hit a deer at 70mph. Split the deer in half, wheels totaled and I was seriously hurt. Was told weeks later that my brain tried to shut my body down during the flight to the hospital. Strong belief that I had suffered severe brain injury. Within only 3 days I was displaying many normal functions of health, nerves, cognitive abilities, body coordination, etc. But it took a 3 week stay in rehab to convince 9 doctors that I was fit to leave the hospital.
My helmet, leather jacket, steel toed boots, gloves and layers of clothing saved my life. My left eye is a wandering eye now, possibly won't heal for 2 more years or never. My head and nose required plastic surgery. My ear needed to be reattached and I have many scars that will never go away.
A year later and I am feeling good, though I still deal with the mental/emotional/psychological aspects. The only peace I can seem to find any more is being on a trail, listening to the music of the trees, watching the rythmic flow of the waters, inhaling the silence of a forest, letting my mind be overwhelmed by the sights at an overlook or the top of a mtn.

So I'd like to thank all of you out there in WB Land for your direct and indirect assistance. Part of my recovery for the past year was being able to read many of your comments and thoughts and humour.

Hope some day I can give something back.

Different Socks

canoe
09-05-2012, 13:12
Glad to hear that you are doing as well as you are. The therapy for peace is the same we all need. That is why we stay close to this community.

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 13:19
I think we can all agree that in seeking nature, we are aligning ourselves with a healing resource that should not be underestimated. Kudos to you for finding a healthy way to continue on a healing path. I have a neighbor who was in a bad auto accident several years ago and he became addicted to painkillers :( His quality of life is very poor, and will never get any better unless he finds a way to move out of that bad situation.

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 13:30
Glad youre still with us.

Creek Dancer
09-05-2012, 13:33
Different Socks, you have already given back to this community with your inspirational and insightful post. I am happy for you that you are feeling good these days and that you are hopeful for the future.

tdoczi
09-05-2012, 13:47
for one you should be thankful you werent the deer

HikerMom58
09-05-2012, 14:03
Good to hear your story DS. I'm so glad you are OK... You already know that whenever you are ready to hike- the plan you have, is very ambitious.. btw :) You can count on me to help you out when you hike through Central VA. (both times) So you know I'll give you my contact info, when you need it.

Supreme Being
09-05-2012, 14:08
Well, this explains a lot.

grayfox
09-05-2012, 15:43
+1 on the humor--these guys just crack me p sometimes, even sometimes that they probablydidn't mean to.....

You know, I just hate it when people say to me, "I know just how you feel." But....I know just how you feel. 15 years for me, August 8th.
I just wish I had had a cell phone to send a picture of me, standing under a white blaze in Mass, to those nurses in rehab who laughed at me when I said I would walk again and on the AT. But they probably wouldn't have appreciated it the way people here would.

jerseydave
09-05-2012, 15:52
Did you at least get to keep the deer since you already butchered it?

Glad you are recovering, I ride and do not want to imagine having that happen.

jd

Water Rat
09-05-2012, 16:28
After a wondrous 20 mile back country day hike beyond Hidden lake in Glacier NP, I was on my home riding my wheels and I hit a deer at 70mph. Split the deer in half, wheels totaled and I was seriously hurt. Was told weeks later that my brain tried to shut my body down during the flight to the hospital. Strong belief that I had suffered severe brain injury. Within only 3 days I was displaying many normal functions of health, nerves, cognitive abilities, body coordination, etc. But it took a 3 week stay in rehab to convince 9 doctors that I was fit to leave the hospital.
My helmet, leather jacket, steel toed boots, gloves and layers of clothing saved my life. My left eye is a wandering eye now, possibly won't heal for 2 more years or never. My head and nose required plastic surgery. My ear needed to be reattached and I have many scars that will never go away.
A year later and I am feeling good, though I still deal with the mental/emotional/psychological aspects. The only peace I can seem to find any more is being on a trail, listening to the music of the trees, watching the rythmic flow of the waters, inhaling the silence of a forest, letting my mind be overwhelmed by the sights at an overlook or the top of a mtn.

So I'd like to thank all of you out there in WB Land for your direct and indirect assistance. Part of my recovery for the past year was being able to read many of your comments and thoughts and humour.

Different Socks

Different Socks -

Thanks for sharing your anniversary with us. Happy anniversary and I am glad you are here - On the planet, as well as WB. It sounds like you have found the best therapy possible in your love of nature. I hope it continues to bring you peace for many, many years to come.

Water Rat

Thirsty DPD
09-05-2012, 16:32

Different Socks

You just did, "the music of the trees, watching the rythmic flow of the waters", good stuff. I'm sure you know by now, there's a plan for your life, you must be thrilled. Thanks

l84toff
09-05-2012, 18:53
Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear things turned out well after that horrific accident. As a fellow rider I will admit that a collision with an animal is always in the back of my mind, they are so fast and seemingly come out of nowhere that you most often don't even have time to react, scary stuff when you're travelling at highway speeds.

I have to agree that even something so simple as posting that is making a difference. It's a great reminder to live to the fullest today because you never know when today stops showing up to greet you everyday.

Different Socks
09-05-2012, 19:08
Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear things turned out well after that horrific accident. As a fellow rider I will admit that a collision with an animal is always in the back of my mind, they are so fast and seemingly come out of nowhere that you most often don't even have time to react, scary stuff when you're travelling at highway speeds.

I have to agree that even something so simple as posting that is making a difference. It's a great reminder to live to the fullest today because you never know when today stops showing up to greet you everyday.

Wise words!

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 19:15
I read your words but they don't do justice to what you've been through; I just can't imagine. Hopes & prayers for your continued healing.

Different Socks
09-05-2012, 19:33
Thank you everyone. Wasn't really sure how to remember this day or the event. Most or all the people I know are married with kids which keeps them busy or they are either just not of like minds. There are fishermen, boaters, hunters, sledders here, but no real backpackers or seemingly any people that know how to express what it feels like to be outside. I see a sunset and sense so many things going on, they see the same thing and just see the sunset. Or let me put it to you this way: I say, "hey let's go see the sunset". At my age of 49, some people say "Why?", while others look at me like I am crazy. Guys look at me like I am gay....LMAO!
So for this 1 year event to occur, it is difficult for me to find anyone that I can observe it with in an outdoor setting and they are satisfied with just being.
To the person that posted a belief that perhaps my life will have a different destination: I truly believe that is so now. For several months after discharge I was given an indoor job that literally drove me crazy. I couldn't stand to be inside for my shift. My mind and body were used to being outside for work during the last 11 years. I was hit continuously with vivid flashbacks of places outside. The first one was of a shelter in Maine right on the AT. For those 45-60 seconds, I was there! I could hear the stream to my right, feel the breeze that made the leaves shiver, smell the aroma of autumn, sense the hardness of the sleeping platform under me. Then suddenly I was back and I just went "WHOA!! What the hell just happened?" I had many more like that, but the docs said it was normal for a recovering head injury. Ya know what? They still happen, just not as long and not so frequently. And I enjoy every one of them. But b/c they happen without any action from my thoughts, I believe it is my brain trying to tell me something.
For now I try to concentrate on enjoying each day and note it for a specific moment of what makes it different from the day before. And I constantly dream of that day when I can rid myself of all that I don't need and have only that which I do need on my back. That day will happen, it's just been pushed back a year or so....but it will happen.
Thanks again everyone!
HikermomKD--looking forward to meeting you in VA when I come thru.

TallyAbt
09-05-2012, 19:36
Amazing story! Hope your travels continue as you heal.

HikerMom58
09-05-2012, 21:50
Different Socks- I'm looking forward to me meeting you 2. I believe in you! :)

Different Socks
09-06-2012, 00:02
Here are some of the shots from that hike the day I got hurt:173291733017331173321733317334173351733617337

Hope the WB audience likes them.

Different Socks
09-06-2012, 00:13
Here are some of the shots from that hike the day I got hurt:173291733017331173321733317334173351733617337

Hope the WB audience likes them.

Shot #1--Bearhat Mtn
#2--Above far end of Hidden Lake
#3--View across Hidden Lake to viewing area that 90% of tourists stay at to see Hidden Lake. Viewing platform for tourons is right the base of the mtn where the ridge comes down sharply.
#4--View from top of Hidden Lake headwall. This is directly above Avalanche Lake. I am headed for Comeau Pass, the low point of the ridge on the right. Big white area is Sperry Glacier which I walked just below. A remarkable experience!!
#5--This guy walked right by me, only 10 yards away.
#6--One of the many glacial tarns I passed on the way to Comeau Pass.
#7--Wetting my bandana.
#8--Just crossed over Comeau Pass and I met this guy on opposite side as I began a long walk down to Lake MacDonald.
#9--Another glacial tarn.

Mountain Mike
09-06-2012, 00:43
Glad you are still with us Socks!

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 01:06
Those photos are amazing. They show a real eye for composition and the color and detail is excellent. You shot these with a digital?
You ought to write an article about your hike and submit it with the photos to outdoor magazines. It sure made me want to go hike the area.

Mountain Mike
09-06-2012, 01:27
Still planning the extended hike?

turtle fast
09-06-2012, 14:03
Once you get your affairs in order, it sounds like you have a thru hike with your name on it. Just remember to go at a slower pace to smell the roses.

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 19:13
to the many trails to come.................

Different Socks
09-06-2012, 20:33
Still planning the extended hike?

Yep! Been so long and longer still that i've been on a long hike that the next won't be months long, it will be almost 2 years long. Got the cash saved up now, but wish to pay off some of the med bills created when saving my life.

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2012, 20:47
Different socks as a motorcycle rider I understand just a little what you are going thru... I have hit deer, raccoons (speed bumps) and bounced bats off the fairing. I have had several wonderful hours taking to police in hospitals with candid observations about how f....in lucky I am ... nope.

Do the best you can to make your life as optimistic as possible. You ever need a help PM.

Capt Nat
09-06-2012, 21:52
Wow Mr. Different Socks! Thank you for a beautiful post. I'm glad you're still with us. From reading the other replies, I'm not the only one that was inspired by your sharing. Thank you...

Different Socks
09-06-2012, 22:21
My continued thanks to everyone. reading your replies brings such a wondrous smile to my face that it is a pleasing pain.

Different Socks
09-06-2012, 22:37
Okay, it's not pretty, but here's a shot of when i was still in ICU. You can see the surgery that was on my nose and head. what you can't tell is that the ear was reattached. Hope this didn't freak anybody out or seem too gruesome.17348

Heald
09-06-2012, 22:44
Inspirational event. I don't know what to say but that. See you in the mountains.

Waynesboro
09-07-2012, 05:58
Wow. That was one serious impact. Your post had me visualizing hitting a large animal at 70 mph. I couldn't really imagine what that would be like, but your picture certainly focused my imagination. I think the deer suffered less.

Greg

TOW
09-07-2012, 07:31

Different Sockswe are glad you are still with us, your words are an inspiration

jerseydave
09-08-2012, 09:22
Wow, photo sends the message home for sure.
I doubt I'll ever be able to climb on the bike without giving that a bit of thought.
Out of curiosity, did your helmet shatter or were you using a smaller style helmet?
I currently ride with a full face and have considered going smaller...... maybe not a good idea.

jd

Hoop
09-08-2012, 10:06
DF,

Glad you're here to tell the tale.

When you said, "hey let's go see the sunset", that gave me pause. Will be doing more of that. Thanks.