PDA

View Full Version : Best trail in the White Mountains for foliage views?

ph4mp573r
09-05-2012, 14:08
I've been looking for opinions on the best foliage hikes in the White Mountains, but I'm unsatisfied with the usual answers.
The AMC lists the already crowded and obvious trails:
http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/ideas/best-hikes.cfm
But none of these really stand out as "spectacular" viewpoints, and all are likely to be over-crowded.

Where would you go to do a little leaf-peeping while avoiding the crowds? I'm looking for suggestions at varying difficultly levels, as I'd like to take some out-of-shape family and friends on a nice foliage hike, but would appreciate challenging or unique trails as well for myself and my hiking buddies.

tdoczi
09-05-2012, 14:22
I've been looking for opinions on the best foliage hikes in the White Mountains, but I'm unsatisfied with the usual answers.
The AMC lists the already crowded and obvious trails:
http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/ideas/best-hikes.cfm
But none of these really stand out as "spectacular" viewpoints, and all are likely to be over-crowded.

Where would you go to do a little leaf-peeping while avoiding the crowds? I'm looking for suggestions at varying difficultly levels, as I'd like to take some out-of-shape family and friends on a nice foliage hike, but would appreciate challenging or unique trails as well for myself and my hiking buddies.

ehh i dont see the whites as a big foliage place, the good trails are all above treeline, which kind of means... well, you know. that said it depends on the time you are there which means you need to hike at the right elevation for that time, as not all elevations have leaves to look at at the same time.

no idea about how the foliage may or may not be, but for not crowded and obvious ive always gazed at the area west of the carter range, between it and the ME border, south of rt 2 and wondered just what the hell is over there lol.

ph4mp573r
09-05-2012, 15:11
ehh i dont see the whites as a big foliage place, the good trails are all above treeline, which kind of means... well, you know. that said it depends on the time you are there which means you need to hike at the right elevation for that time, as not all elevations have leaves to look at at the same time.

no idea about how the foliage may or may not be, but for not crowded and obvious ive always gazed at the area west of the carter range, between it and the ME border, south of rt 2 and wondered just what the hell is over there lol.

I hate to disagree with the first response I get, but here it goes... If I recall correctly, the White Mountains are the single largest foliage destination in the country. New Hampshire's entire population is literally dwarfed by the number of leaf peepers who visit the whites every fall. The number of visitors *every year* is in the millions.

Above treeline hikes might not be too bad for whole landscape views either. Though I was looking for anything with a spectacular view, above treeline or not.

I'll assume you mean east of Carter, in which case I have no idea what's out there either lol.

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 15:19
Evans notch. anywhere in the White Mountains is great for foliage. problem is the most spectacular trails are going to be crowded. the lesser ones are usually a bit more difficult. I get you just looking for a day hik?e an overnight or a weekend trip

Old Hillwalker
09-05-2012, 16:28
From Conway, go to Fryburg, ME. Take Rte 113 north out of Fryburg. Stop at the USFS Basin Campground for the views, then proceed up 113 to the beautiful lookoff about half way up Evens Notch for more views, then Continue to Wild River Campground, park and take the short hike out to the suspension bridge over the Wild River. The Wild River Trail is spectacular in leaf season, and pretty easy on the feet. There are several nice hikes in the area. After leaving the WR campground continue up 113 to US Rte 2, go left to Gorham and then you can take another left up through Pinkham Notch, past all the major Presidentials back to congested North Conway. Or personally I would continue through Gorham and pass down through the Whites via Crawford Notch (US 302). You still will have to deal with getting through the Conways. (Check out West Side road, but watch your speed) The Kancamagus highway is pretty, but will be nearly bumper to bumper during peak color especially on weekends. Enjoy

MamaBear
09-05-2012, 17:02
A lot of the Whites are busy during the foliage season, but I'll put in a vote for Mt. Osceola for a day hike from Tripoli Rd. (exit 31 off I-93) up the Mt. Osceola Trail. From the summit ledges, you can look out to Waterville Valley, to the Tripyramids and beyond. There are plenty of deciduous trees that have good color in Waterville Valley and make for spectacular show. Carter Notch might be really pretty once the leaves turn, too. Although surrounded on either side by Carter Dome and the Wildcats so it wouldn't be a high altitude destination, the 3.8 mile trip there up 19 Mile Brook trail isn't too bad. The notch itself with the peaks rising steeply up either side, the lakes and hut is pretty spectacular in any season.

jod
09-05-2012, 19:57
There are a few hikes I know about that are wicked easy to easy. wicked easy is artist bluff and bald nob. They're across the street from the Echo Lake Beach in Franconia Notch. I like the loop, I park over by the Cannon parking lot. An easy hike is Welch-Dickey down by toward Waterville. Look it up, it's off Rt 49. Another easy hike is Mt Hedgehog on the Kancamagus Highway. I don't run into too many people here. Another moderate hike is on the west side of Mt Kinsman. The trail head is on Rt 116 head to Mt Kinsman then take the side trail to Bald Peak. Foliage in the Whites is packed with hikers. If one knows where to there are plenty of views without the crowds.

imscotty
09-05-2012, 22:12
I love the views from the Pine Mountain ledges in Gorham, NH. It is an easy hike with great views of Mt. Madison and Washington. Never seen it too crowded. From there move on to the Horton Center and find their outdoor chapel and climb to the top of the adjacent rock for nice views up Pinkham Notch.

tdoczi
09-05-2012, 23:53
I hate to disagree with the first response I get, but here it goes... If I recall correctly, the White Mountains are the single largest foliage destination in the country. New Hampshire's entire population is literally dwarfed by the number of leaf peepers who visit the whites every fall. The number of visitors *every year* is in the millions.

Above treeline hikes might not be too bad for whole landscape views either. Though I was looking for anything with a spectacular view, above treeline or not.

I'll assume you mean east of Carter, in which case I have no idea what's out there either lol.

yup, i meant east of carter.

ive been hiking in the whites in the fall. not just above treeline, but even near tree line there are no leaves as the forest is primarily coniferous. sure, down low there were lots of leaves. they didnt strike me as nicer than VT or MA and who goes to the whites to hike below 3K ft the whole time?

northernflight
09-06-2012, 00:46
I grew up in NH, The whites are huge for foliage. Id suggest Mt. Passaconaway. Great trails to get up and an amazing northern view. I think in the total 4 hikes ive done of this part of the sandwhich wilderness Ive seen a total of 3 people. I did Techumsah 5 years ago in October and experienced the best colors Ive ever seen.

Driver8
09-06-2012, 00:51
The best trails for foliage views, for the most part, will likely be crowded. In this vein, I'd bet the Old Bridle Path has amazing views of the slopes of the Franconia Ridge from the overlooks along Agony Ridge to the hut. Continuing on up Greenleaf to Lafayette Summit and looping along the ridge and down via Falling Waters or Liberty Spring would be gorgeous, as at any time of year, but crowded, of course. I'd bet the Bonds, too, would be awesome, Twins, too, and would be less crowded than Franconia Ridge and OBP. A hike up the significantly less-traveled Boott Spur Trail looping down the Davis Path to Isolation and back down Rocky Branch to Rt. 16, either to a second car or via Diretissima to Pinkham would make for some excellent, less-traveled leaf-peeping hiking. A long day with a lot of elevation gain and loss, but beautiful, doubtless. Mt. Willey southern approach from Crawford Notch would afford amazing views into the notch and the eastern Pemi, I'm sure, though it is notoriously difficult.

Driver8
09-06-2012, 00:53
A hike up the significantly less-traveled Boott Spur Trail looping down the Davis Path to Isolation and back down Rocky Branch to Rt. 16, either to a second car or via Diretissima to Pinkham would make for some excellent, less-traveled leaf-peeping hiking. A long day with a lot of elevation gain and loss, but beautiful, doubtless. Mt. Willey southern approach from Crawford Notch would afford amazing views into the notch and the eastern Pemi, I'm sure, though it is notoriously difficult.

Sorry, meant to say down Rocky Branch to a second car or down Glen Boulder to Diretissima to Pinkham. My apologies for the error.

peakbagger
09-06-2012, 07:46
In order to maximize the potential for foliage you need to plan a couple of hikes in different parts of the Whites as there is usually a big difference between the Northenr Whites and southern whites on any particular weekend . Tour bus drivers know this and plan on a couple of routes that they adjust depending on conditions. As you said the othr may not be in shape its a bit difficult to pick trails but here is my attempt

Far North - Mt Monadnock (VT) just across therever from Colebrook. If at all possible drive in via RT 26 through grafton Notch. A driving loop is up Rt 3 from RT2 to Colebrook and then east on RT 26 to Errol and then Rt 16 south to Rt 2

Northern Presis - Mt Hayes in Gorham via the Centennial trail in Shelburne. If you have two cars spot one at the Mahoosuc trail on Hogan Road (note long dirt road) and make sure to check out the spur to Mascot Pond.
Alternatively, Mt Crescent Trail in Randolph. (if the group is really out of shape, Lookout Ledge from Randolph Hill Road is hard to Beat.

Central presis- Kearsage North or South Moat (conway area). Chocurua is great but it gets mobbed during leaf season.

Southern Presis - Welch Dickey from Waterville Valley, Osceola has great views fromt he summit but it also gets mobbed.

In the Maine side of the WMNF, Blueberry Ridge Trail. The baldface Circle trail is spectacular but is a long day not suitable for out of shape folks. If they insist, the Slippery Brook Trail is well graded and gets to the summit without the ledges.

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 08:01
Has anyone here ever stayed at Bretton Woods, Mt Washington? Saw it last night on Ghost Hunters.

ph4mp573r
09-06-2012, 08:37
Wow! So many great suggestions!!!
I was planning three hikes of varying difficulties, and these are great suggestions. Sounds like I'll have to plan at least one of the hikes in the Passaconaway/Osecola area, and another in the Carter/East-Presi area.

ph4mp573r
09-06-2012, 08:38
Has anyone here ever stayed at Bretton Woods, Mt Washington? Saw it last night on Ghost Hunters.
I've stayed at Bretton Woods a few times, skied there as well. I've never seen any ghosts though.

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 08:43
I've stayed at Bretton Woods a few times, skied there as well. I've never seen any ghosts though.

They never "see" any ghosts on those shows. It's mostly like ... "WHAT THE $#@% WAS THAT!!!

Slo-go'en
09-06-2012, 09:30
The best views are actually from just driving around. Of course, timing is critical. There's usually a 1-2 week window when the colors are really good.

A great hike is Mt Martha / Cherry Mnt/Owls head in Jefferson off of RT 115. From the ledges on Owls head you can see the whole presidental range lined up from Crawford Notch to Mt Madison. There are two routes up and is a moderate to difficult hike. (one route goes up to Martha and is shortish, the other goes up Owls head and is longer with some swampy areas at the bottom. There is a trail which connects Martha to Owls head, about a mile long). {this is not to be confused with the other Owls head in the Pemmie}.

Dome Rock is also a nice hike, which is on the north slope of Mt Madison. Nice views of Madison, Adams and the hills and valleys to the north. Start at "trails parking" (Appalachia) on RT 2 in Randolph. Take the Brookbank or Fallsway trail to folllow the Cold brook stream and see the three water falls and cascades along the way. Then a short section of the Valleyway (major path to Madison Hut), to conenct to the "Inlook" trail the rest of the way to Dome Rock. From Dome Rock, there are several ways to make a loop hike back to the parking lot, depending on time and ability. This is an easy to moderate hike. The inlook trail gets a little steep. If you stary off the Valleyway, you don't usually don't run into many others. You'll need a map and pay attention, there are a lot of criss crossing and interconnecting trails in this area.

Of course, there are countless other hikes in New Hampshire. Getting a copy of the "100 day hikes in NH" would be a good start.

peakbagger
09-06-2012, 10:01
One other thing to be aware of is that peak foliage is the busiest couple of weeks for hotel rooms, expect that many places will be full on the weekends and you will be paying high season rate.
Make sure you book a spot early and get confirmation numbers. Lots to be said for a tent but the nights can get cold.

Many of the restaurants will be short staffed and backed up. The traffic backs up on the major foliage routes and many folks will not be paying attention to where they are going and some will stop theri cars right in the middle of the road especially if a moose is near by. YOu really have to adpot the life in the slow lane attitude or if you need to get somewhere drive in early morning.

When the leaves and weather is right its a great place to visit but realize a lot of other folks are also headed to the same place.

Prime Time
09-06-2012, 16:39
In the Whites, the most important thing to remember that your elevation will most dictate the quality and timing of the foliage viewing. Once you get over about 2500 feet, the hardwood population begins to thin out and the leaves turn much earlier, up to 2 weeks, than in the valleys at, say 1000 feet. That said, if you hike up to a peak with a view down to a valley, like Mt. Garfield in late September, you are looking at a gorgeous carpet of orange and reds down below. Another nice view is from the lookout above Zealand Hut, also in late September. These are both on the AT. If you are looking for thinner crowds and being in amongst the foliage, then try the Mt. Kinsman trail up to Bald Peak in early Oct. About 2 miles to Bald Peak, no crowds, almost all locals, and a beautiful mix of maples, birch, ash, and other hardwoods. The fatties can hike in until the hill starts up, about 1 mile, and still see great foliage and go past a functioning (in the spring) sugaring house.

Prime Time
09-06-2012, 16:49
By the way, do NOT bring your out of shape friends east of Carter, at least not on the AT. The foliage viewing would be great, I'm sure, but you'd probably have to bury them. From Pinkham to Grafton Notches is some of the toughest hiking in the Whites and, therefore, on the entire AT. Stick to Wildcat River trail up to the hut and go no further, at least with your friends!