PDA

View Full Version : Any one hiked the Katy Trail in MO?

Longfan
09-05-2012, 16:17
Just wondering if any one has hiked that trail. It is closer than the AT for this guy so just wondering it there is any one here who has done this trail. Yes, it is equal in length to a short section hike on the AT.

Cookerhiker
09-05-2012, 16:33
No but I'd like to cycle it someday.

Hairbear
09-05-2012, 18:35
ive section hiked some of it what can i help you with.

Longfan
09-05-2012, 22:56
Just wondering about hiking it; As I said it is closer to home than a lot of the trails.

Different Socks
09-06-2012, 00:15
The entire length of the Katy Trail is a Rails to Trails conversion. Nothing like the AT and probably a town every doz miles.

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 01:17
it is a very nice trail,it is a rail road right of way converted to trail.the trail itself is very well maintained,and is set up for bike traffic.the surface of the trail is small chat like surface one half of the width of a gravel road.you will see some amazing things from lewis and clarks journey.the best places to hike are where the trail comes as close to the missouri river as possible,which will include limestone bluffs that extend straight up.

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 01:54
the atmosphere is different from any other trail ive hiked,everyone i met had a great attitude of support,not im better than you because ive been here before trail snob persona that is all too obvious in some bigger trails.the center of the trail runs through columbia mo so you have a mixed age group using it. the support i had while hiking was very humbling many encouraged me,the kids were amazed to see a barefoot hiker on gravel.come on over and enjoy missour outdoors we will keep a light on for you.

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 02:05
resupply is not really there for hikers so plan ahead for this.this is basicaly a bike trail and can be spread out at times bring a three day supply so you dont get stuck eating 20 dollars worth of candy for a meal.there is no camping in park as at times its only a few feet wide while passing through private property.so plan your over night stays.an older gal in heartburg let me stay at the little baseball field so i would have a place to sleep,very nice people.rocheport will also get honorable mention for being a trail town of distinction.

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 02:13
there is a plan to try to connect the katy trail to the ozark trail,and the on to the ozark highland trail making it a 700 plus trail,but for now i think the katy is like 270 miles long

Raymond James
10-21-2012, 18:21
I plan on hiking parts of it as a training for some longer hikes. I only live 7 miles from it. No hills but also no traffic.

Erin
11-08-2012, 22:05
I just saw this thread. I have biked the Katy and we camped. There is a really nice campground right next to the trail at New Franklin, west of Rocheport, and we also camped in Hartsburg in the park, Marthasville in the ball field and outside a bar at Steadman and a state park out side of St Charles. We made contacts before we went. For example, the ball field at Marthasville had a nice pavillion (it rained on us) and real bathrooms.
The towns are placed every ten or 12 miles (old train stops) and some have more amenties than others. Once you get closer to the east end of it, there are are several wineries and brewries and it is a popular wine trail. The trail is flat, chat and super easy. If you do it in September or early October, there are alot of activities in the towns and alot of festivals. Be careful about private property. Some folks are not happy and do not want you on their property. We did see solos stealth camping though. We had a blast doing the Katy and I highly recommend it.