PDA

View Full Version : OK I know this question is overplayed but I REALLY need input!

ParkRat09
09-05-2012, 20:37
So I know the SOBO vs NOBO question has been asked a million times and there are older posts I could look up...BUT I think I'd be much better off asking myself so that I can actually converse with people about it instead of just reading old responses.

I was originally sold on a SOBO but now have begun to reconsider...here is my thinking for both directions:

SOBO - getting the hardest states out of the way first, I have been living in TN for nearly 8 years and have hiked almost the entire Smoky Mtn NP and live 2 hours from Springer so I think 'hiking home' and getting to the Smokies in the fall is VERY appealing, No deadline to finish, smaller fraternity of ppl who have gone South

NOBO - biggest benefit would be getting to end the hike going up Katahdan which I think would be very rewarding, more contact with people (I am a very social person that occasionally likes to be alone on trails but not for more than a couple of days at a time), DON'T like knowing the whole time that the hardest states are at the end of the entire trip

What are people's thoughts on this? I know I'm prob overthinking it but this is a once in a lifetime trip and I want to get it right! Thanks to those who read all this and reply!

hikerboy57
09-05-2012, 20:45
If i were you,sobo.youll still meet plenty of people,trail magic will be more magical,and as you said youd be hiking home.very appealing indeed.

Mountain Mike
09-05-2012, 20:52
I did it NOBO mostly due to time I could get off work. It was my first choice when I asked for a leave. I loved ending on Katahdin as it's much more majestic than Springer. Also I liked being in great shape by the time I hit the hardest parts. But I did it many years ago when # of thrus were smaller. If your not into crowds I would consider SOBO.

max patch
09-05-2012, 21:01
1. If you are as social as you appear to be, then you want to NOBO.

2. Trust me, by the time you get to the "hard states" (NOBO) you'll be a hiking machine and "nothing" is gonna be hard.

Moose2001
09-05-2012, 21:03
1. If you are as social as you appear to be, then you want to NOBO.

2. Trust me, by the time you get to the "hard states" (NOBO) you'll be a hiking machine and "nothing" is gonna be hard.

I agree. If you want some social but also some alone time, either start early or late. You'll be in front of or behind the crowd (I favor mid to late April myself.)

The Snowman
09-06-2012, 18:45
you will meet a lot more hikers going south but you will spend more time with the hikers you meet if you go north. just something different to think about

Spokes
09-06-2012, 18:50
Look at it this way. When you finish NOBO your celebratory first meal will be a lobster dinner. SOBO? BBQ.

Advance North!!

ParkRat09
09-06-2012, 19:36
you will meet a lot more hikers going south but you will spend more time with the hikers you meet if you go north. just something different to think about

That's a great point I actually thought of today...I really like the idea of meeting and running into people I know as we all are hikinh

Prime Time
09-06-2012, 21:20
I live in and do most of my hiking in the White Mountains of NH. No need to fear them. As stated if you hike NOBO, you will be in great shape by then but just be prepared to cut back to about 12 miles a day and you'll be fine. Enjoy them more by hiking slower (1.25 to 1.75 MPH) and to enjoy the views, STOP. The footing is tricky and falls can be unforgiving.

Starchild
09-06-2012, 21:37
It's something you really need to look inside yourself and what you want out of the trail. I do feel SoBo is harder, and I personally feel if given the choice unnecessarily so. But that's just it, it's a personal choice between you and the AT.

I think you need to stop thinking that you can get it wrong and realize that you are going to do exactly what you need to do. There is no right or wrong answer to this. Don't have regrets of what you could have done, but appreciate what you have done.

colorado_rob
09-06-2012, 21:37
This is a subject near/dear to me right now as well, thank you for posting. I'll share my thoughts.

My initial 2013 plan is to do a NOBO to Harpers Ferry, flip up to Katadin then SOBO back to Harpers. I guess this is a fairly common method.

The reason I like this:
- it allows me to start in early April. I don't want to wait until June for a pure SOBO
- when it is really getting hot in late June, I flip up to cooler climes in Maine (I do realize it is really buggy there though in June/July)
- by the time I get further south, the main heat of summer is hopefully waning, at least a bit
- I get to spend some good time being social on the initial NOBO leg. I'll have to say my farewells at HF in late June/early July. But: I get to cross paths with those same folks later! bonus.
- I'll have a chance to become part of the smaller SOBO community, if I get my butt up there soon enough ( late June)

I realize this wont finish on Katadin, but this is all about the journey, right? Not the destination?
Besides, finishing at Harpers Ferry should be cool.

These are just my thoughts, and very much subject to suggestions from the veterans. My veteran pal says just do a pure NOBO. I still might.

yellowsirocco
09-07-2012, 06:16
It is not that NH and Maine are physically hard for NOBOs, it is a mental thing because they are in excellent shape. NOBOs spend months on cruise control and forget what mountains look like by the time they reach the Whites. If you can get in the right mindset then the north should only be hard for a few days.

Josh Calhoun
09-07-2012, 09:01
IMO i like hiking north. and the picture standing on top of katahdin is much better than springer. just say'n yes the ending is the hardest but isnt that the glory of it?

Mfrenchy
09-07-2012, 10:43
This was a question I pondered prior to starting as well. I chose north. Katahdin has been built up in my mind for so many years and always seemed so magnificent and mystical and far away and difficult to reach. All I can say is, it was everything I imagined and more.

You can find solitude on the trail going north if you want it. I spent most days hiking alone and only occasionally running into people. I liked having people to camp near at the end of the day too and you normally run into a familiar face at a shelter and probably some new ones.

I think the trail going north was a just right build up of difficulty and drama, but there was a ton of hot chicks going south. So maybe I chose wrong :)

ParkRat09
09-07-2012, 10:55
This was a question I pondered prior to starting as well. I chose north. Katahdin has been built up in my mind for so many years and always seemed so magnificent and mystical and far away and difficult to reach. All I can say is, it was everything I imagined and more.

You can find solitude on the trail going north if you want it. I spent most days hiking alone and only occasionally running into people. I liked having people to camp near at the end of the day too and you normally run into a familiar face at a shelter and probably some new ones.

I think the trail going north was a just right build up of difficulty and drama, but there was a ton of hot chicks going south. So maybe I chose wrong :)

Yea I think in the end I would prob appreciate climbing Katahdin at the end much more than Springer, even tho hiking home is very appealing as well. Pretty sure I am switching from sobo to nobo. Either way I'm thru-hiking the AT and there's no wrong decisions to be made here!

on_the_GOEZ
09-07-2012, 12:06
SOBO - more constant weather the whole way, less hikers in shelters and hostels, and quite possibly the smokies in the snow!

Slo-go'en
09-07-2012, 12:19
The main concern I would have with SOBO is water. Water is pleantifull down south in the spring, not so much in the late summer and fall.

on_the_GOEZ
09-08-2012, 09:52
The main concern I would have with SOBO is water. Water is pleantifull down south in the spring, not so much in the late summer and fall.

We had plentiful water the entire trip, even in the mid-atlantics (Pennsylvania had maybe the best water the entire trail) I imagine this was partially due to hurricane Irene last summer, though. I remember the south having some fantastic springs! JM2C

bear bag hanger
09-09-2012, 07:56
When I did my NOBO in 2004, I was able to get up and back from the top of Mt Katahdin in about six hours of hiking. When I tried a SOBO in, I think, 2006, it took me over twelve hours to do the same and I was dead tired when I finally made it back to the bottom in the dark. The other consideration is when do you want to start? You're pretty much limited to a June 1st start for SOBO, you could start as early as Feb 28th going NOBO. You could start a SOBO a couple days earlier, but that's about it. They tend to close down the trails during the spring time as there is too much erosion going on with the snow melt and all.

Theosus
09-09-2012, 08:03
This is a subject near/dear to me right now as well, thank you for posting. I'll share my thoughts.

My initial 2013 plan is to do a NOBO to Harpers Ferry, flip up to Katadin then SOBO back to Harpers. I guess this is a fairly common method.

The reason I like this:
- it allows me to start in early April. I don't want to wait until June for a pure SOBO
- when it is really getting hot in late June, I flip up to cooler climes in Maine (I do realize it is really buggy there though in June/July)
- by the time I get further south, the main heat of summer is hopefully waning, at least a bit
- I get to spend some good time being social on the initial NOBO leg. I'll have to say my farewells at HF in late June/early July. But: I get to cross paths with those same folks later! bonus.
- I'll have a chance to become part of the smaller SOBO community, if I get my butt up there soon enough ( late June)

If I ever got to thru.... That would be my plan. The first half gets you in shape, then you flip and head south from katadin. I live in the south, anything above Virginia gets to be a transportation problem. Section hiking up there could be expensive travel-wise, but I plan to start sectioning the south in the spring.
I think I would prefer SOBO. I like meeting people, but SOBO, at least if I meet some jerk, I know i won't keep running into them. Unless they are SOBO too...hmmmm.

Quadzilla
09-10-2012, 10:54
I have hiked NOBO 3 times ('77 & '82 & '10). Psychologically, hiking home is so much more a major bonus than leaving home. The tough times (heat, humidity, bugs, rain, etc.) are easily endured when you know every step takes you closer to home; rather than away. My SOBO guests agree. The Trail is tougher and much more discouraging when headed South. I tell hikers to remember "GABE"; grueling, agonizing, brutal and exhausting. Climbing Katahdin on your first day is a test of wills, strength, determination and endurance. The Trail is 10% physical and 90% mental. Anyone can hike the Appalachian Trail. I spent 10 days hiking with blind hiker Bill Irwin and his guide dog Orient back in 1990. His strength and determination helped carry me through my own 2010 thru-hike. Trust in yourself and trust in whatever Higher power guides you. Phil from Maine www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

Lone Wolf
09-10-2012, 10:58
so i know the sobo vs nobo question has been asked a million times and there are older posts i could look up...but i think i'd be much better off asking myself so that i can actually converse with people about it instead of just reading old responses.

I was originally sold on a sobo but now have begun to reconsider...here is my thinking for both directions:

Sobo - getting the hardest states out of the way first, i have been living in tn for nearly 8 years and have hiked almost the entire smoky mtn np and live 2 hours from springer so i think 'hiking home' and getting to the smokies in the fall is very appealing, no deadline to finish, smaller fraternity of ppl who have gone south

nobo - biggest benefit would be getting to end the hike going up katahdan which i think would be very rewarding, more contact with people (i am a very social person that occasionally likes to be alone on trails but not for more than a couple of days at a time), don't like knowing the whole time that the hardest states are at the end of the entire trip

what are people's thoughts on this? I know i'm prob overthinking it but this is a once in a lifetime trip and i want to get it right! Thanks to those who read all this and reply!

sobo...........