PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone Help near SNP/waynesboro?

Virginia Archer
09-05-2012, 21:50
I'm thinking of doing a Few small sections in the SNP in the next month or so. If I park at one spot is there anyone I can Call from around there that could pick-up and shuttle me back to my Vehicle. So hard to plan with others friends and our schedules I just wanna get started doing alittle at a time!

canoe
09-05-2012, 22:43
hitch back to your car. It s not difficult. Folks are very willing to help.

Virginia Archer
09-05-2012, 22:54
hitch back to your car. It s not difficult. Folks are very willing to help.

Yeah I though about that. Just hate to go 15 or 20 and not find a ride back and have to backtrack. And still have a 2 1/2 hour drive back home!

Mountain Mike
09-05-2012, 22:59
Hitch forward & hike back.

Blissful
09-06-2012, 07:00
I will be around late Sept on. May even join you at times. I'm leaving for the Long Trail in a few days. Stay in touch.

Creek Dancer
09-06-2012, 09:17
I found that it's best to hike towards your car. Have the shuttle person meet you with your car at your ending point and have them drive you back to your starting point. Then hike to your car. That way you don't have to worry about your cell phone not getting reception and the possibilty that the shuttle person is not available when you are ready to get picked up. There are not very many entry points to the SNP, which means that it could take some time for a shuttle driver to reach you and you would have to wait for them.

The SNP is a great place to do small sections. In my opinion, don't just stay on the AT. There are soooo many interesting side trails with waterfalls and such - much more interesting than the AT. And using these side trails, there are many ways you can do a loop hike back to your car which means you would not need a shuttle.

Have a great time!

Virginia Archer
09-06-2012, 21:23
I will be around late Sept on. May even join you at times. I'm leaving for the Long Trail in a few days. Stay in touch.

Would love to have you join me Blissful. Always good to have a Teacher! Met you at REI Richmond for one of your trail talks. Still quite new actually but working on it! I think I got a Couple more week before I'm ready but Hiking with a Full/ pack around here to try and prepare a little for weekend 15 or 20 miler. And maybe come spring I'll try and tackle Georgia in a week! Many hopes but the wife works a crazy schedule and 2 kids take a lot of my time. I'll be in touch. Right now the 29th & 30th Looks good for me. Gotta check my daughters Softball Schedule since I am the head coach but I may be able to work around that!

Don H
09-06-2012, 21:28
The ATC has a list of shuttlers, there are several in the area you want to go.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/form-990/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-8-21-12.pdf (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/form-990/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-8-21-12.pdf)

Also its best to park and meet you shuttler and have them take you to your start point and hike back to your car.

canoe
09-06-2012, 21:50
Hitch forward & hike back. That does make better sense

johnnybgood
09-06-2012, 21:59
Send Whiteblaze member "Waynesboro" a pm. I've seen his posts regarding shuttling hikers and he's nearby.

Virginia Archer
09-24-2012, 11:28
Blissful I saw you just finished the long trail...congrats. I will be doing the easy part from milepost 9.6 back to rockfish this weekend if you would want to also. Gonna go easy till I'm happy with my ankle. Doing from 9.6 to Wolfe shelter then Sunday going the rest to rockfish.

canoe
09-24-2012, 20:25
Should be pretty with fall coming. Have a great hike

Blissful
09-24-2012, 21:40
Actually I'm doing a scout hike with my hubby on Sat at South River for a guided hike I'm conducting for Shenandoah Natl park trust in Oct. Hope your hike goes well.