PDA

View Full Version : What do y'all think, HF,WV to Springer starting mid September a good idea?

pmushock
09-06-2012, 01:58
I would like to try and split the A.T. into 2 parts, Harpers Ferry south and later Harpers Ferry north. I plan to do the southern half this fall and the northern half next summer. Does it seem to a good idea to do this 1000+ mile stretch starting in mid September? This is a good time due to a semester off from college and time off from work, plus the positive support from my parents. Any suggests about the best place to split it due to weather, since I am from coastal SC, I have little knowledge of the weather around the A.T. I have done a few week and weekend hikes so I know a good bit, but am no where near experienced. This has all developed in the past week, so any and all advise is welcome. I am 21 male 5'11" 150 lbs if that means anything.

Thank you,
pmushock

Blissful
09-06-2012, 06:57
You may have to contend with cold / possible snow issues in the Smokies, but its a great time of year. Be sure to have your blaze Orange ready for hunting season.

bigcranky
09-06-2012, 14:45
Yes! Fall is a great time to hike in the South. It'll get cold in late November, and you'll want some blaze orange about halfway through. But it would be an awesome hike.

pmushock
09-10-2012, 22:06
Sorry its took so long to reply my computer crashed but now the time I had to do to do this has been cut in half so I think I am going to start in Damascus and go south for now and see what the future holds. I have plenty of blaze to wear and my pack is bright red so I am good with that. I am going to start Tuesday morning, I can't wait!

wornoutboots
09-10-2012, 22:11
Agreed, the Fall will be a great time to tackle the South!! Enjoy!!

Cookerhiker
09-11-2012, 08:18
Starting SOBO from Damascus, you'll have enough time to be home by Thanksgiving. Have a great hike!

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 12:00
Yeah bro great idea but take some warm cloths with you by the time you get to southern VA it will be cold.

pmushock
09-12-2012, 00:35
Yeah as long as I make it home in time for the first season of duck hunting in SC, which starts the weekend before Thanksgiving, I will be happy. Plus if I finish by then, I will be going to the Carolina-Clemson game, GO COCKS.