PDA

View Full Version : How close is NOC to the trail?

Buffalo Skipper
09-06-2012, 12:35
Looks like we waited too long to book the NOC for our overnight stay. The entire bunkhouse is booked by a group. So we are considering staying at the campground. NOC is the perfect midpoint for our 60 mile section, so we do not want to stay far away from the trail. Looking for showers, we were advised of coin showers at the "train" rest rooms. I presume this is a Smoky Mountain RR stop. How close is that to the NOC group campground? We were looking at eating Dinner/breakfast at the restaurant; how far is this from the campsite?

turtle fast
09-06-2012, 12:40
The trail goes right thru the NOC compound.

V Eight
09-06-2012, 12:43
Looks like we waited too long to book the NOC for our overnight stay. The entire bunkhouse is booked by a group. So we are considering staying at the campground. NOC is the perfect midpoint for our 60 mile section, so we do not want to stay far away from the trail. Looking for showers, we were advised of coin showers at the "train" rest rooms. I presume this is a Smoky Mountain RR stop. How close is that to the NOC group campground? We were looking at eating Dinner/breakfast at the restaurant; how far is this from the campsite?
I think that everything you need is less than 100 yards from the trail. The AT cuts the NOC in Wesser, in half.

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 12:58
What's the name of the campground you're staying at?
There are two very close to the NOC. One is right on the river and the other is down a little road behind the outpost store that is directly across the road from the Rivers End restaurant.

Buffalo Skipper
09-06-2012, 13:07
What's the name of the campground you're staying at?
There are two very close to the NOC. One is right on the river and the other is down a little road behind the outpost store that is directly across the road from the Rivers End restaurant.

This the one run by the NOC. It is a group area with platform tents (like a boy scout summer camp). This is the picture of the camp.

Our choice was the Bunkhouse, but it is full.

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 13:26
I'm not sure exactly where the platform tents are. I'm thinking it's not that far from the bunkhouse, maybe up a little hill. But it doesn't really matter - everything at NOC is within easy walking distance up and down the river.

All of the following amenities, with the exception of River's End, are on the north (Cheoah Bald) side of the river. The showers you mentioned are just a little walk from the bunkhouse area. I've stayed in the bunkhouse and it's nothing special, so don't feel deprived. There is a large public restroom/changing room at Slow Joe's restaurant. Relia's Place restaurant is set off back up the hill. It's kind of pricey and has a fancier menu than the other places. The last time I was there, we had to wait because we didn't have reservations. I haven't eaten there for several years but I remember the food was good. The majority of hikers and paddlers that I know opt to eat at Rivers End. In my opinion the food is just as good there. You also get to sit there and watch the paddlers come down the rapids.

Buffalo Skipper
09-06-2012, 13:32
I'm not sure exactly where the platform tents are. I'm thinking it's not that far from the bunkhouse, maybe up a little hill. But it doesn't really matter - everything at NOC is within easy walking distance up and down the river.

All of the following amenities, with the exception of River's End, are on the north (Cheoah Bald) side of the river. The showers you mentioned are just a little walk from the bunkhouse area. I've stayed in the bunkhouse and it's nothing special, so don't feel deprived. There is a large public restroom/changing room at Slow Joe's restaurant. Relia's Place restaurant is set off back up the hill. It's kind of pricey and has a fancier menu than the other places. The last time I was there, we had to wait because we didn't have reservations. I haven't eaten there for several years but I remember the food was good. The majority of hikers and paddlers that I know opt to eat at Rivers End. In my opinion the food is just as good there. You also get to sit there and watch the paddlers come down the rapids.

Thanks, Train Wreck. We were hoping to eat at River's End. Are you suggesting that we make reservations? If the entire Bunkhouse is booked with a group, the restaurant may be pretty busy. Reservations for dinner and breakfast in the morning? Hiking out of NOC in the morning, I would hate to be delayed...

Aquonehostel
09-06-2012, 13:37
Try Aquone Hostel, we have spaces available www.aquonecabins.com/at.html 828 321 2340

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 13:39
Thanks, Train Wreck. We were hoping to eat at River's End. Are you suggesting that we make reservations? If the entire Bunkhouse is booked with a group, the restaurant may be pretty busy. Reservations for dinner and breakfast in the morning? Hiking out of NOC in the morning, I would hate to be delayed...

Not sure if Rivers End takes reservations or not. We just usually walk in, or wait for a table to come open. But if you're on a definite time schedule, it would be worth checking into.

Slo-go'en
09-06-2012, 15:00
How many are "we"? NOC has a number of small cabins which sleep 4, at $20 a head. These are typcially where the thru-hikers stay. They also have more deluxe accomidations for more money, but if its split a few ways, it can be competative with the bunk room type cabins.

As another option, there is a shelter 1.5 miles south of NOC and it's a quick and easy walk to NOC in the morning. I'm sure they would let you take a shower for a few dollars, eat a meal at the resturant and then you could move on that same day.

Whack-a-mole
09-06-2012, 16:08
NOC has a public shower near the RR tracks. It runs on quarters, and while it's not the fanciest shower I've ever seen, it sure felt good after a couple days on the trail. I think I used $3 for my shower and it worked out about right. They have good BBQ sandwiches at the grill that overlooks the river, and some nights they have open mike night for some music. It all made for an enjoyable evening. Actually, it doesn't get much better than that. A good hot sandwich with a cold brew, a couple guys playing acoustic guitars, all out on the deck with the background rustling of a river flowing by, it was a great evening.

Buffalo Skipper
09-06-2012, 16:15
The (entire) bunkhouse is reserved for a group. All the cabins are booked. Options are to stay at the inn (1.5 miles upriver) or the group campground. There are 5 of us, and the minimum at the campground is 10, which works out (divided 5 ways) to be the same price as the bunkhouse. Really don't want to be 1.5 miles upriver and have to schlep back for dinner at the restaurant and back to the inn, and then back in the morning.

Guess we'll have to see how the group decides. Just trying to get all the info I can so we can make an informed decision.

Jeff
09-06-2012, 16:58
Hikers this year raved about Aquone Hostel. Give them a call. They will pick you up and several different road crossings. I believe they prepare meals too.

RED-DOG
09-06-2012, 17:57
Yes the AT goes through the N.O.C and do give Aquone Hostel a call they will pick you up at several locations, they do prepare meals and gives shuttles into town, and there showers are pretty awsome. RED-DOG

Buffalo Skipper
09-07-2012, 13:27
One more quick question for everyone who is familiar with NOC and the AT there. How far off the road (north or south) do you have to go to find a camping site on the AT? Our options are not panning out the way we originally planned, and we may consider camping right of the AT as an option, close enough to eat at the River's End and pick up a resupply box at NOC.

Again, thanks.

Train Wreck
09-07-2012, 13:37
The Rufus Morgan shelter is about .8 miles from the NOC on the south side (coming from the Wesser firetower direction). On the other side of the river, as far as I recall, there is not that much camping till you get to the shelter, and that's too far away. You could always just try to find a spot somewhere along there, but for convenience and comfort's sake, I would just stay at Rufus Morgan or look into the Aquone hostel option. Never been there but the website makes it look a lot more invitiing than the NOC bunkhouse.

Buffalo Skipper
09-07-2012, 13:53
Once again, thanks Train Wreck. We are all hanging in hammocks, so we don't need a level, developed site, just enough trees from which to hang. We will be eating and hopefully showering in "town" so all we really want to do at a campsite is sleep.

Train Wreck
09-07-2012, 14:01
Once again, thanks Train Wreck. We are all hanging in hammocks, so we don't need a level, developed site, just enough trees from which to hang. We will be eating and hopefully showering in "town" so all we really want to do at a campsite is sleep.

Well, you'll probably be all right, then. I think there are a few trees in the area :D

Aquonehostel
09-07-2012, 14:38
Jeff, It was the Green Mountain House that inspired me to open a Hostel, your accommodation and service I considered was the best on the trail and that wasn't just my opinion too, Steve (Wiggy 2010 & Danny Sticks 2010 Doc 2010) the Syke Brothers17351 Steve & Maggie Aquone Hostel

Buffalo Skipper
09-07-2012, 14:47
Steve and Maggie. How far are you from NOC (drive time) and how much is your shuttle to/from NOC? I am not sure if your services will meet our needs, but I don't want to exclude the option until I ask.

PM Me if you like...

Aquonehostel
09-07-2012, 15:23
We are approximately 19 miles (38 mile round trip) 35- 40 minute drive time, the shuttle fee is $20.00 this covers the 72 mile shuttle picking up and dropping off, we hope that helps, Aquone Hostel 828 321 2340

daddytwosticks
09-07-2012, 16:28
I agree w/Train Wreck. Stop at the Rufus Morgan Shelter for the night. Very short and easy walk to the restaurants, showers, outfitters at the NOC. The area around the shelter has plenty of trees! :)