PDA

View Full Version : Best Franconia Notch campsite to take 11-year-old?

auntdanielle
09-06-2012, 13:21
I'm planning an introductory weekend trip with my 11-year-old nephew, and would like to camp overnight on the AT. I'm considering the Kinsman Pond or Liberty Spring camp sites, though am worried that the steep hikes (2,000 feet over 3 miles to Kinsman Pond, 2,500 feet over 3.5 miles to Liberty Spring) will be too difficult for my nephew. He's a boy scout, and has gone hiking with his troop, but never gone overnight backpacking. I'm going to carry most of the weight, but expect him to carry 15-20lbs in his pack. Has anyone ever hiked these routes with a kid, or have any other suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

Slo-go'en
09-06-2012, 15:14
Either way, shouldn't be a problem if he's a reasonably fit 11 year old (sadly, many aren't).

If at all possbile do this mid week. These are both very popular sites which fill up quick on a nice weekend.

Blissful
09-06-2012, 15:21
The Whites are tough. I'd take him to Lincoln Woods and the Franconia falls trail and camp by the falls.

jakedatc
09-07-2012, 15:19
From the Basin to Kinsman pond shelter along Cascades brook trail and Kinsman Pond trail isn't too steep. Lot of fun waterfalls to look at. Could even mix it up on the way back and take Fishin' Jimmy back past lonesome lake.. only a bit further.. 4 mi each way