PDA

View Full Version : close down the cafe?

hikerboy57
09-06-2012, 14:24
On July 16, the hikerboy cyber cafe opened its doors. since then weve had over 71000 visitors. the cafe was designed with the intent of helping to reduce thread drift as well as redirecting the wisea** answers to serious inquiries, which i believe has been largely successful.
Its become a chat room where visitors have posted anything on their minds, and its been one of the most civil forums that exist on whiteblaze.
ive even looked into making tshirts to be sold with all profits to whiteblaze(still need to get approval from attroll once ive finalized the design)
BUT
over the past few days, ive suffered a couple of black eyes and im rethinking whether the site should be allowed to continue or not.
so i wanted to get some feedback from you guys, and figure out whether we should keep it running, or if its time to close it down.

JohnWayne
09-06-2012, 14:35
Dude. :welcome to Life on WB. I don't care how great a topic is or what is posted, there are always going to be a few on this site who disagree or have to drop someone's ice cream cone on the pavement. I reckon some of the very people who criticize your Cafe do so because they didn't think of it first or it don't revolve around them. I seldom post in the Cafe, but you and your group enjoy it - that's what count. Screw the naysayers!

HikerMom58
09-06-2012, 15:01
Dude. :welcome to Life on WB. I don't care how great a topic is or what is posted, there are always going to be a few on this site who disagree or have to drop someone's ice cream cone on the pavement. I reckon some of the very people who criticize your Cafe do so because they didn't think of it first or it don't revolve around them. I seldom post in the Cafe, but you and your group enjoy it - that's what count. Screw the naysayers!

JohnWayne... Yay, good for you!!! Hikerboy- These are my thoughts about the Cafe. I think you are a super nice person. I don't feel like I, personally, would ever fit in at the cafe. i'm not "whitty" enough. I do think that sometimes it has been "used" to talk about other members behind their back though. I think that's been the case for me. I have been really hurt by "visiting" the cafe and reading the posts. The one post that sticks in my mind as the most hurtful was the convo in the cafe when Kent Lady took her last "swing at me". I read, in the cafe, that she was a "cool chick" and she was applauded for her actions. *Ouch* I never read any posts written by you that even came close to what I just shared. There are so many more examples of I could write about but it's not important anymore. I try not to hold grudges and I won't. I think you should keep the cafe. I can tell it's a lot of fun for the group. Screw the naysayers!

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 15:04
Why do you have "I could care less" listed twice in the poll actions? Trying to sway the vote? :D

coach lou
09-06-2012, 15:24
Well naturally I want it to stay. I have my own stool and Rasty and I worked our butt off putting up the climbing wall. And no one who hangs out there is allergic to kryptonite.

Drybones
09-06-2012, 15:38
The cafe is a good place for the good ole boys to BS. You dont like it, there's another bar down the street. Personally, I'd like a better menu and more Hooter girls and more fights to liven it up, kinda like goin to the Southernair in Columbus when DD Lewis was Mid LB at MS state, always fun watching him throw red necks in the Tombigbee.

Drybones
09-06-2012, 15:40
Hey...if it was a respectable place no one would come here.

Odd Man Out
09-06-2012, 15:40
I think you should expand to include a brew pub. I would like cellering and hand taps for real ales.
This was not one of the poll options.

Sailing_Faith
09-06-2012, 16:47
Saw the thread had 157 pages and figured I was too late to the party to get caught up....

Did that with Seinfeld too.... never watched it till it was being canceled...

Water Rat
09-06-2012, 16:56
Just checkin' in real fast on my way to a hike... And I saw this post. Of course, I had to chime in...

If not the cafe, then there should be a place where people can go to just be goofy. I think we all come to WB to escape the boredom, the dreaded "not-being-on-the-trail" syndrome. I do think it has helped to know there is a place to just goof-off, though it might not always have been used for the good it was intended. As far as I know, nobody has been turned away when they have stopped by. That is more than can be said of most threads on WB lately.

When I first dropped by the cafe, I think Train Wreck was the only female there. I was not sure how I would be received in the cafe, but you guys allowed me in and that felt pretty good. I think most women find being on a mostly male forum kind of daunting, but the guys here have been pretty cool about that sort of thing.

My vote is to give it a little more time...See if perspectives change. Then, if ya feel like shutting it down, it will be because you made that choice. Not because people were saying things in the heat of an argument.

I think it is amazing that there still has not been a single argument in the cafe. There is a lot to be said for that. People have not always agreed on things in the cafe, but there seems to be the agreement that it is okay to disagree.

Off to hit the trail.

Water Rat

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 17:20
up to you brother its your head ache,and your passion.

RED-DOG
09-06-2012, 17:52
Bro keep the CAFE open, if any body around here needs a place to vent or whatever its me and as soon you get those t-shirts finalized and got them in stock tell me i really be interested in getting some of them. RED-DOG

Another Kevin
09-06-2012, 18:16
I'd be a little concerned that the length of the thread will eventually put a strain on the software that runs WB. I'm sure that the programmers didn't foresee a thread with over three thousand messages!

Maybe close the cafe thread and open a new one weekly?

(And maybe have a warning at the top of each thread that the discussion is freewheeling and the easily offended should stay away?)

moytoy
09-06-2012, 18:17
I couldn't care less! What I mean is that the correct question is that "I couldn't care less". If I could care less then that would show some interest but not wanting to show interest would mean that " I couldn't care less" . Oh mY noW I'm confused but you probably could care less. Or maybe not!

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 18:19
im going to add this though,when i first came here to white blaze to gather info from all of you i found what i needed from the sight without saying anything.it was you and others like you that led me to interact and not just lerk.i find you to be a kind compassionate person please dont let the negative ruin what you are doing.the cafe is a good place for newbees to try and fit in.

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 18:21
I couldn't care less! What I mean is that the correct question is that "I couldn't care less". If I could care less then that would show some interest but not wanting to show interest would mean that " I couldn't care less" . Oh mY noW I'm confused but you probably could care less. Or maybe not!

Did you check both the boxes at the top? :D

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 18:22
It is a blight upon the face of WhiteBlaze, but, I could care less. I visit, but, never post. However I say, no way, let the cafe stay.

Could use a little live entertainment. I sugest the Gray Blazer Blues Band.

moytoy
09-06-2012, 18:23
Did you check both the boxes at the top? :D
No...Because I could care less then I must care a little but I got so confused that I Checked the wrong box. Can I take back my vote.:)

Hairbear
09-06-2012, 18:25
No...Because I could care less then I must care a little but I got so confused that I Checked the wrong box. Can I take back my vote.:)are you a politician.....lol

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 18:29
The regular WB forum has been very useful to me as a section hiker over the past 8 years. I appreciate that. I’ve always had good success in finding answers to most of my questions while in constant lurk mode. It has provided me with tons of great information for section hikers, and only this spring, convinced me to invest in a hammock through reading up on all the great information available through this site.

I’ve spent more active time on WB lately, simply because right now, I have more time to do so. I became interested in the café because of its chat room nature, as opposed to all the factual discussion threads. It’s just been a place to go when you’re not in the mood for all the serious discussions on chossing the best boots, gear inventories, gram weenie-ing, yada yada yada. I don’t see a real problem, as long as people recognize that it’s a chat room and nothing more. I've met a couple of really cool people there, and it did help me feel more comfortable on WB as an oldie-newbie.

Sometimes it descends to downright silliness, but that happens on the other threads too. Nothing going on in there is ever going to win any Pulitzer prizes for intellectual or literary content, that’s for sure :rolleyes:

People do kid around in the cafe and sometimes poke fun at current topics. Sometimes a poke may actually "poke" a nerve. If that is a real problem for the majority of people, then maybe the café should close down, but I don't know if that's the case. I personally find it much more disturbing to see recurring instances on the main threads where the OP’s get excessively trashed or beat up on, usually by the same group of people over and over again. I've seen 3 instances of this just in the last 2-3 months.

You know, at the end of the day, “It’s only walking, and boiling water…” (per Coach Lou)

moytoy
09-06-2012, 18:33
are you a politician.....lol

Now that's a knee slapper!:-) Here I am making a serious thread silly...I digress

Gray Blazer
09-06-2012, 18:36

Are you Bill Clinton's speech writer?

Rasty
09-06-2012, 18:37
I voted just to skew the poll!

Keep it.

Supreme Being
09-06-2012, 18:38
Too many members do nothing when an OP is ganged up on instead of stepping up and calling them on it.

Supreme Being
09-06-2012, 18:39
In response to TrainWreck's post...

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 18:41
Too many members do nothing when an OP is ganged up on instead of stepping up and calling them on it.

I agree. And I wish I had spoken up in a couple of those cases. Especially after seeing a trend.

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 19:43
Saw the thread had 157 pages and figured I was too late to the party to get caught up....

Did that with Seinfeld too.... never watched it till it was being canceled...

Never too late around here, stop by anytime. First beer is on the house!

Drybones
09-06-2012, 19:49
are you a politician.....lol

I was against the cafe before I was for it.

Drybones
09-06-2012, 19:50
Dont take life too serious.......it's only temporary.

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2012, 19:55
Geez guys, get off the computer and do something. I read stuff, play in my yard, look for UFOs;) or whatever; checking this is just to keep up on the AT and talk about, you know Global Warming, period.

If you get to this point (deciding weather or not to close a thread) it's time to get on your bike and play in traffic, or just go for a hike...

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2012, 20:20
What's the purpose of this poll exactly?

The cafe has grown bigger than any of us, just let it be...

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2012, 20:21
Kind of a silly question, so lets look at the psychology of the thought process about the cafe... its where folk go to commiserate and get to know one another better without having to talk "hikin" shop. When a good hiking question gets asked "again" we answer to the best of our abilities in a timely fashion. As for a the PG Humor comment in another thread - I take an indifference as that is what gets a pass vs a shut down. If you aren't a happy person - go get a life-somewhere else. There has been an uptic in user and activities, and interest. Not to mention spin off threads... As for the comment from someone who I respect saying it makes WB look bad... that's already been done with the Homeless thread. I really don't know which thread has the most posts or views but here is my vote.....Keep it open and light.

This is my guess as the #1 thread e e e e e ever.:banana

10-K
09-06-2012, 20:27
I can't vote... You don't have a pick for the Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF).

Another Kevin
09-06-2012, 21:01
I suppose that I could indeed care less. If I cared less, I wouldn't have voted in the poll, or posted here.

But I was serious about breaking up the thread; sooner or later that huge thread is going to tickle a bug in the software and visit the wrath of the sysadmins upon us. Beware wrathful sysadmins!

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2012, 21:25
actually its the upload of pics that are programs.

Rasty
09-06-2012, 21:28
I can't vote... You don't have a pick for the Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF).

It was the additional I could care less option!

Capt Nat
09-06-2012, 21:32
I don't think the cafe should be closed, but maybe it should be condemned. I sure would miss it though...:(

moytoy
09-06-2012, 21:43
I'd be a little concerned that the length of the thread will eventually put a strain on the software that runs WB. I'm sure that the programmers didn't foresee a thread with over three thousand messages!

Maybe close the cafe thread and open a new one weekly?

(And maybe have a warning at the top of each thread that the discussion is freewheeling and the easily offended should stay away?)

There is a thread on WB that has over 15,000 post and something like 500,000 views. It is closed now but not because it has too many post. People were posting personal attacks and other prohibited garbage and thats the reason it was closed. As long as the WB user agreement is followed I can't see why the MODS would want to close a popular thread.

Train Wreck
09-06-2012, 21:44
I don't think the cafe should be closed, but maybe it should be condemned. I sure would miss it though...:(

The cafe gets condemned at least once a day :rolleyes:

HikerMom58
09-06-2012, 22:07
I like the cafe because it has more views than the homeless thread. :sun AND because it doesn't make WB look bad.... the homeless thread has that one already covered... yipee!!
Most people do not respond to posts in the cafe with the intent to understand; they read the posts with the intent to reply. That's what is so cool about it. Don't close it OR start up another one every week or so.

Rasty
09-06-2012, 22:13
The cafe gets condemned at least once a day :rolleyes:

That's because Rocket Socks isn't around to clean up after all the slobs! If I was the Health inspector I would give it a score of 68.

tdoczi
09-06-2012, 22:17
tomorrow's poll- is it time to close down the is it time to close down the cafe poll thread?

redundant much guys?

kayak karl
09-06-2012, 22:30
shut it down! WB rules are you can not start a thread about a thread that was closed. deal done!

Rasty
09-06-2012, 22:35
shut it down! WB rules are you can not start a thread about a thread that was closed. deal done!

That's a catch 22 - The only way for it to be a violation of the user agreement would be for it to be closed already?:-?

hikerboy57
09-06-2012, 22:38
tomorrow's poll- is it time to close down the is it time to close down the cafe poll thread?

redundant much guys?
we all know redundancy reoccurs on whiteblaze again and again.

coach lou
09-06-2012, 22:45
we all know redundancy reoccurs on whiteblaze again and again.

I believe we need some imput from the Elf concerning any redundancy, that is his department.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2012, 22:46
I believe we need some imput from the Elf concerning any redundancy, that is his department.

Correct...

Correct.

kayak karl
09-06-2012, 22:47
That's a catch 22 - The only way for it to be a violation of the user agreement would be for it to be closed already?:-?
what i'm saying is SHUT IT DOWN, the end, no more threads about IT.

hikerboy57
09-06-2012, 22:53
could you be a bit more specific? what are you trying to say?

kayak karl
09-06-2012, 23:06
could you be a bit more specific? what are you trying to say?
thought some hiking would do you some good. ??
shut it down!

hikerboy57
09-06-2012, 23:14
you see that's just the thing. we all get cranky when were not hiking. of course I'd rather be out on the trail. wouldn't you?

Papa D
09-06-2012, 23:26
I've grown tired of the same old WB posts - i.e. "here is my gear list" "do i need a water filter" "what is your base weight" the HB cafe is about all that keeps me going - oh, yeah - that, and rebel rousers that want to discuss scary homeless people sightings :cool:

kayak karl
09-06-2012, 23:33
cranky? yous asked me to repeat myself 2 times?
i don't hike in the heat. i kayak till thanksgiving.
PS: shut it down!

Another Kevin
09-06-2012, 23:44
elf - you're with the department of redundancy department?

Rasty
09-07-2012, 00:16
I've grown tired of the same old WB posts - i.e. "here is my gear list" "do i need a water filter" "what is your base weight" the HB cafe is about all that keeps me going - oh, yeah - that, and rebel rousers that want to discuss scary homeless people sightings :cool:

PapaD Here is my gear list

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Extra sock (I figure I usually only get one foot wet when I step in a puddle)
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

What do you think? I think I can make it two days between resupply!

TD55
09-07-2012, 00:31
This thread reminds me of a graffiti debate. Somebody suggest that the taggers and graffiti artist be given some wall space, perhaps down by the old abandoned warehouses or closed down factory. Than someone points out that it will only encourage more folks to tag and create graffiti, and since the whole purpose of the taggers and graffiti artist is to have their tags and graffiti seen, the idea only increases the problem in the end.

Supreme Being
09-07-2012, 00:54
what i'm saying is SHUT IT DOWN, the end, no more threads about IT.

Amusing. You don't like the Cafe? Don't open the thread! Pretty simple.

Driver8
09-07-2012, 01:11

AMEN! John Wayne, shootin' straight as always.

Driver8
09-07-2012, 01:19

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

I don't care who you are, that there's funny. :D

Train Wreck
09-07-2012, 01:26

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

Ya know, if you take the smokes out of the box, unwrap the Snickers bars, and store them all in the sock, you could easily shave off .000025 lb. Just sayin.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 02:33

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

Before I say anything else, do you keep your 5 bullets in the sock??

Thirsty DPD
09-07-2012, 02:41
The cafe has a permit to be here. The city fathers don't seem to have a problem w/ it. The Board of Health hasn't sited it, or given it notice to clean its act up. It hasn't violated any city ordinances. I've visited, it's bright, witty, great atmosphere, the regulars make you feel at home. It's a place I can visit, and get away from some of the puffed up, and arrongant that live here. Why would anyone want to 'SHUT IT DOWN'. Some of the other places I've been to on WB, were not only unfriendly, threatening & insulting, but an embarrassment to our community. I look at it like this, is the cafe a place I'd take my kids for lunch, absolutely. I can't say that about all the threads on WB. 3500 posts, no arguments, no threats, no egos, no ones telling the other guests how to hike their hike, or that they have no business on the trail. No sign on the door, "Real Hikers Only", it's hiking for Pete's sake. I tell my friends that there's a lot of garbage to wade through at times in WB, but none of it is in the cafe. Entering the cafe is not required (reading) prior to a thru hike (attempt). It's not like we have a strip club between the church and the school, (not that anyone here would have a problem with that). If you don't like the cafe, don't go in, hit the trail & HYOH. Thanks for opening the cafe and providing a place for harmless banter, away from subject specific topics. We could probably use a few more cafes in town.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 02:51
I know I'm a bit of an odd one out here because I'm on t'other side of this big round thing we all hang out on but I have to say the cafe has been the best boost I've had in months.
I've been a member of WB for 2 years and love it's enormous amounts of information and the way you can get help on just about any topic.
I've not been a poster of "check my gear list" type posts because I picked up that things like that had been done a thousand times before.
But I have gone through and read many old posts and gleaned bits and pieces that I needed or wanted to know as well as used things like the gallery pics of shelters to get an idea of what I'm in for.
The cafe came along and I have become I suppose, a bit of a regular.:o
It is a pseudo chat room but as a thread it's not quite like a regular chat room. I can't generally join in a chat room because of the time difference, e.g. this thread is 3 pages before I see it and it probably won't get more than 1 or 2 more posts for the next 4 hours or so.
I am ready to hike, I want to hike, I WILL hike the AT next year. In the meantime I steal short hikes on my local track where I can, and "chat" and generally have a lot of fun BS with a few others in the cafe.
If the cafe closes down I will probably start a new thread if I can, to get similar interactions going.
It hurts no one, it appears to not be a problem for the site to maintain it, and some of us at least, really enjoy it.

Perhaps those that don't like it can start a thread that they can call "The Gentlemens Club" or something where they can post all their issues with people like the cafe regulars, and those of us who like to (as we say in Oz) take the p### out of everything, and we'll refrain from posting in it. (Although we may sneak a look now and again to snigger about it in the cafe).
Cheers from a 12 hour time difference.

Train Wreck
09-07-2012, 03:17
I know I'm a bit of an odd one out here because I'm on t'other side of this big round thing we all hang out on but I have to say the cafe has been the best boost I've had in months.
I've been a member of WB for 2 years and love it's enormous amounts of information and the way you can get help on just about any topic.
I've not been a poster of "check my gear list" type posts because I picked up that things like that had been done a thousand times before.
But I have gone through and read many old posts and gleaned bits and pieces that I needed or wanted to know as well as used things like the gallery pics of shelters to get an idea of what I'm in for.
The cafe came along and I have become I suppose, a bit of a regular.:o
It is a pseudo chat room but as a thread it's not quite like a regular chat room. I can't generally join in a chat room because of the time difference, e.g. this thread is 3 pages before I see it and it probably won't get more than 1 or 2 more posts for the next 4 hours or so.
I am ready to hike, I want to hike, I WILL hike the AT next year. In the meantime I steal short hikes on my local track where I can, and "chat" and generally have a lot of fun BS with a few others in the cafe.
If the cafe closes down I will probably start a new thread if I can, to get similar interactions going.
It hurts no one, it appears to not be a problem for the site to maintain it, and some of us at least, really enjoy it.

Perhaps those that don't like it can start a thread that they can call "The Gentlemens Club" or something where they can post all their issues with people like the cafe regulars, and those of us who like to (as we say in Oz) take the p### out of everything, and we'll refrain from posting in it. (Although we may sneak a look now and again to snigger about it in the cafe).
Cheers from a 12 hour time difference.

This guy's vote should be thrown out because he's not an American citizen!

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 03:19
This guy's vote should be thrown out because he's not an American citizen!
Hey!!
No politics!!
I've been told that.:D

Train Wreck
09-07-2012, 03:21
Hey!!
No politics!!
I've been told that.:D

oopsies! :eek:

Drybones
09-07-2012, 07:03
they read the posts with the intent to reply. That's what is so cool about it. Don't close it OR start up another one every week or so.

I read it with the intent of having a laugh...some of these guys should be professional chameleons, I ment comedian.

Drybones
09-07-2012, 07:06
Might consider an age limit to get in...must be at least 55.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 07:09
Might consider an age limit to get in...must be at least 55.
You'll get me arguing about how age should be measured again......:o

Drybones
09-07-2012, 07:15
Amusing. You don't like the Cafe? Don't open the thread! Pretty simple.

Yeah...I was just wondering why anyone who wants the thread shut down even looks at it????

Supreme Being
09-07-2012, 07:21
Thirsty - One of the best answers yet!

Don H
09-07-2012, 07:27
I can't decide between "i could care less" and "i could care less" ;)

Don H
09-07-2012, 07:29
"i don't care" is tied with "i don't" care", 6 votes each!

hikerboy57
09-07-2012, 07:43
something tells me KK voted 9 times.

OzJacko
09-07-2012, 07:52
Hey HB!
I like the positives from people who should say hello more often when they drop in...

hikerboy57
09-07-2012, 08:17
the cafe is open to everyone.hikers, cyber hikers, posers, packsniffers, trail angels,homeless people, vagrants miscreants, your tired, your poor those yearning to be free, everyone.
HikerMom, i appreciate your comments and i think youll find that if we keep it open, you will be welcomed, hugs and so forth. ive had to step in from time to time to ask members to continue to be civil, and had to pm a few who got a bit out of line, but this is a forum of inclusion. post whateever you want, and you'll find a community within a community that looks to help wherever we can, even when we have to take a bit of heat.attacks are not allowed, and i only have 3 bullets left after retiring that nightmare badger. but ill throw them if i have to.
hey everyone, come join the party. weve got a ton of instant mashed potatoes that i really dont feel like packing out.

Gray Blazer
09-07-2012, 08:22

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

YOU ARE carrying too MUCH WEIGHT!! YOU can't POSSIBLY BE A REAL HIKER! YOU couldn't hike your way out of a paper BAG!!!

hikerboy57
09-07-2012, 08:26
your use of capital letters offends me.
and you forgot to include MORON.
just another wannabe

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 08:51
I read it with the intent of having a laugh...some of these guys should be professional chameleons, I ment comedian.

Yeah, It's what Drybones said.... They are funny. I think they should continue- just keep it real. Stay with the comedians- skip the chameleons.

Drybones
09-07-2012, 08:55

Who's checking voter ID's?

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 08:56
YOU ARE carrying too MUCH WEIGHT!! YOU can't POSSIBLY BE A REAL HIKER! YOU couldn't hike your way out of a paper BAG!!!

You are kidding right? LOL..

hikerboy57
09-07-2012, 08:57

no IDs, its the friggin internet.you can photoshop anything. ask WOO.

Drybones
09-07-2012, 09:01
your use of capital letters offends me.
and you forgot to include MORON.
just another wannabe

On reson i viset hear is too CHek out tha bad gramer an spelin...what a bunch of bumies! Makes me feel superier.

Drybones
09-07-2012, 09:05
Rasty...FYI...if the cafe closes and you lose your job, I hear there's an opening at Besie's Lounge over on HWY 78...they need someone to keep the pickled egg and sausage jars filled...must be able to lift 20 lbs and have own transportation.

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 09:06
No way guys....

coach lou
09-07-2012, 09:08

He keeps combing his beard different and the retired folks checkin' let him vote.

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 09:11
Rasty...FYI...if the cafe closes and you lose your job, I hear there's an opening at Besie's Lounge over on HWY 78...they need someone to keep the pickled egg and sausage jars filled...must be able to lift 20 lbs and have own transportation.

NOOOOO!!! That's mean Drybones. Don't mess with Rasty, Pleaseeeeeeeeee!!

hikerboy57
09-07-2012, 09:13
sheesh, he just voted again!!

Drybones
09-07-2012, 09:23
I do have one complaint about the cafe...this is the third morning in a row it's made me late for gym...I doubt the ladies missed me though.

HikerMom58
09-07-2012, 09:29
I do have one complaint about the cafe...this is the third morning in a row it's made me late for gym...I doubt the ladies missed me though.

I'm sure you are missed at the gym.... have a good workout.

Deer Hunter
09-07-2012, 09:48

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

What? No SILWF? You will never make it.

Rasty
09-07-2012, 09:56

4 Snickers bars
1 pack Camel Lights
1 Lighter
1 Two Liter Mountain Dew

What? No SILWF? You will never make it.

The camels have a filter.

Deer Hunter
09-07-2012, 10:28
The camels have a filter.

Ahhhhhh. Didn't think of that. Your good to go.

Gray Blazer
09-07-2012, 11:33
You don't need twenty filters. You can rip the other 19 off and save some more weight.

kayak karl
09-07-2012, 13:38
reminds me of when my leach field clogged.

Buffalo Skipper
09-07-2012, 14:01
I answered "I could care less" but in reality that is inaccurate. In fact, I couldn't care less. I read it once the day after it started and have not even glanced at it since. But if others are entertained by it, then it really doesn't affect me either way. I choose to ignore lots of threads.

Hairbear
09-07-2012, 18:20
Might consider an age limit to get in...must be at least 55.cant be 55 thats our drink limit pick another number

Wise Old Owl
09-08-2012, 10:18
no IDs, its the friggin internet.you can photoshop anything. ask WOO.

Lets ask the elves in the Redundancyhttp://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/redundencydept.jpg Department ... Hey Elf - Do we need ID's?

HikerMom58
09-08-2012, 10:28
Gosh, you are so good...LOL!! NICE!!!

Drybones
09-08-2012, 11:48
Who votes to close this "Should the cafe be closed" thread?

Wise Old Owl
09-08-2012, 12:09
You have to check with the GRIM moderator department ... touch # and type the first three letters of the last name...

Sarcasm the elf
09-08-2012, 12:42
Lets ask the elves in the Redundancyhttp://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/redundencydept.jpg Department ... Hey Elf - Do we need ID's?

Forget the ID's, I need to get a better lock on the door to my office...

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2012, 22:35
Ya think? What is with the cassette duplicator on the shelf? Clean up in Elf's office!

Drybones
09-10-2012, 09:04
Do you take food stamps here? Okay, I'll have the 24 oz ribeye, mashed taters, blueberry pie, and a pitcher of beer.

OzJacko
09-10-2012, 09:15
Do you take food stamps here? Okay, I'll have the 24 oz ribeye, mashed taters, blueberry pie, and a pitcher of beer.
Fine but you got the Aussie bartender so the beer comes in jugs....
(as in glass jugs not Hooters girls):D

Lone Wolf
09-10-2012, 09:25
why is there a dumb poll about a so-called humorous thread that has nothing to do about hiking in the general hiking forum?

TD55
09-10-2012, 09:53
It's called cyber graffiti contamination.

hikerboy57
09-10-2012, 09:55
we wanted to start a should we close down the should we close down the cafe thread. the Department of redundancy rejected the idea.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2012, 09:55
oh well. these cliquey, foolish threads come and go on WB

hikerboy57
09-10-2012, 10:01
most of the talking to Caffe the past few days has been specifically about hiking

hikerboy57
09-20-2013, 15:06
so does anyone miss the old cafe?
how do you like the new one in groups/the meeting place?

Rasty
09-20-2013, 15:08
What cafe?......

Lone Wolf
09-20-2013, 15:08
how do you like the new one in groups/the meeting place?yes and don't like the new

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2013, 15:12
yes and don't like the new

Agreed. I would like the new one If the reply with quote feature worked in groups.

Honestly i do like that the comments in groups dont add to our post tally.

coach lou
09-20-2013, 15:13
yes, i take the bus down every couple weeks, peer in through the boarded windows:(

coach lou
09-20-2013, 15:14
It isn't part of WB:-?

hikerboy57
09-20-2013, 15:21
is there anything i can do in the group format that would work?

hikerboy57
09-20-2013, 15:23
since the cafe was closed beginning of august, there have been over 70000 views, now over 972k views.
the new meeting place? who knows.

Rasty
09-20-2013, 15:26
Groups isn't working

jfarrell04
09-20-2013, 15:30
nobody goes there anymore anyway, it's too crowded

Water Rat
09-20-2013, 16:33
how do you like the new one in groups/the meeting place?

Yes!!! Definitely miss the cafe and the free-flow conversations. The groups thing just does not work. It's nothing you are/aren't doing HB...It just doesn't have the same feel.

Another Kevin
09-20-2013, 17:30
Commenting on a closed thread? Naughty, naughty!

And - well, if the thread weren't closed, I might say that I'd miss it if it were. Or something like that.

Rasty
09-20-2013, 17:34
Commenting on a closed thread? Naughty, naughty!

Commenting on a Voluntarily closed thread doesn't meet the spirit of a user agreement violation by any rational standard.

Another Kevin
09-20-2013, 17:41
Commenting on a Voluntarily closed thread doesn't meet the spirit of a user agreement violation by any rational standard.

I didn;'t think so either, but, ... well, I can neither confirm nor deny that I have something to say after the 'but'. because if I had something to say, it might violate the user agreement.

OzJacko
09-20-2013, 19:27
Group setup sucks.
The beauty of the old cafe was the lurkers and the free flow of BS that occurred.
I feel like posting political crap in every thread on WB as a protest.
Maybe LoneWolf had a good idea and we should take over TrailPlace and make that the new cafe and watch WB die a bit.