PDA

View Full Version : Six Moons Swift (with hip pockets and back stays)

RangerPhil
09-07-2012, 00:06
Does anybody own or have experience with this pack? It looks great - 23.5 ounces with hip pockets and backstays. Also, construction seems good and I like that it's a half step or a step more "advanced" than a truly minimalist pack. This is the number 1 contender for my new pack (right now), so any feedback, positive or negative, will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ranger

Maddog
09-07-2012, 07:28
I'm not familiar with this pack, but you did catch my interest! I have a ULA CDT, which looks to be very similar! Good luck with your choice! Maddog:D

RangerPhil
09-07-2012, 10:01
Thanks Maddog. See your name a lot - happy to know I caught the ear of a WhiteBlaze regular! Lol. Let me know if you hear anything about the pack.

Mags
09-07-2012, 10:19
Have had good luck with SMD packs in the past (used one on my CDT hike) FWIW. Think with any of the cottage gear makers, you can't go too wrong.

Darwin13
09-15-2012, 21:30
I've been looking at it too. Looking to go ultralight weight. I was also looking at Gossamer Gear Packs you should check them out, Z packs, ULA equipment are great packs. you should check them out

MuddyWaters
09-17-2012, 20:07
I think Stick did a review of it on his blog.
Its actually a pretty large pack.

Buy it, try it around the house, return it if it isnt working.
Cant go wrong by purchasing 3, and keeping the one you like best. It will probably not be the one you are expecting. Weight, isnt everything.

Odd Man Out
09-18-2012, 00:25
I've been eyeing the MLD exodus FS. It also has comparable specs. Any feedback on this is also welcome. It is interesting that so many packs from these cottage industries now seem to have just about the same capacities. It seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of buyers.

Not Sunshine
09-18-2012, 08:26
I hiked with a guy [Rusty] this past summer who had a six moons pack - I believe - it was made from waterproof fabric so he didn't need a pack cover, it was lightweight, and had a large mesh pocket on the outside where he placed his platypus reservoir.
When I saw him, he had just recently purchased it at trail days - he said it was a big improvement from what he had due to the weight savings, but did mention noticing some of the seams (especially around the belt) were starting to look a little loose. I haven't heard how it stood up after an additional 1500 miles.
I'm a user of Osprey Talon. It just works GREAT for me. I keep my tent strapped to the outside because it's waterproof anyway and when it's wet, I'm NOT going to jam it inside with my dry things, and I use a black garbage bag liner inside the pack to keep my dry things inside. I'm not a thru hiker, but for sections, it's worked great. My 44L is 2lbs 10oz. I just ordered a 33L (2lbs) for shorter sections/overnight/day hikes.

treesloth
09-18-2012, 10:07
My SMD Traveler works great. 26oz for a panel-loading pack, with lots of pockets and options for just a few more ounces than you are considering.

MuddyWaters
10-07-2012, 21:01
Did run into a section hiker using one recently. He was carrying mid 20s wt, and was less than impressed with how the pad support pocket worked.
I was a bit surprised he wasnt using the stay at that wt. When I had a Starlite, I wouldnt have used the pack without the al stay over 20 lbs, and that was with a better hipbelt. He nodded in agreement...