PDA

View Full Version : looking for PA section hike recommendation

chknfngrs
05-05-2005, 09:56
Howdy. I'm well versed in AT section hikes throughout NC and VA, and am looking at making a 4 day section hike happen this summer in PA. I'm interested in knowing what anyone recommends for a 4 dayer in August. Ideally would like to hike NOBO and end in Duncannon, or another area closest to Philadelphia. Depending on terrain, I could see myself doing 15-20 miles a day. Any ideas on where to start?

jamarshall
05-05-2005, 19:47
Start at Caledonia State Park (pool there) and head north, you can stay at Pine Grove Furnace SP (swimming available) the first night, then Boiling Springs (pool there), and Darlington Shelter (no swimming) and finish in Duncannon. Lots of woods walking (for shade) with a valley walk between Boiling Springs and Darlington. Lots of water along this section, which you'll need in August. Plus many places to cool off. I did it in April a couple of years ago, but took about 6 days.

-Joyce

fiddlehead
05-05-2005, 21:58
THe above post is good if you like swimming. I think i swam in most of those places myself. But if you are looking for a bit more wilderness (no towns) try starting just after the bridge at Duncannon heading north. This will make Rausch Gap about the middle of your hike and this is a very nice area (for pa) with lots of history. There are old gold mines and indian villages used to be in this area. I don't have a data book with me but i would try to include this part of the AT in a PA section hike if it was me. If you want to swim, you will pass Dehart dam in one of the gaps (i want to say PA rt 25???) which is Harrisburg, PA's drinking water and they don't allow swimming but i've done it. Just bushwhack to a spot. Have fun.

Toolshed
05-06-2005, 09:21
Both reponses offer wonderful suggestions. Solitude, ramblings of an old ghost town & Cemetary are found North of Duncannon. South of Duncannon has more road crossings, a picturesque town, several state parks and more opportunites for cold sodas as well as more foot traffic.
From the South, you will never really be alone once you get past the Alec Kennedy Shelter and into Boiling Springs, you will be close to houses highways and traffic as you meander to Duncannon. However, I found myself enjoying the diversity almost as much as I enjoyed the solitude of Rausch Gap.

Either trail is easy hiking though!!!
Good luck with your decision