PDA

View Full Version : Allen Gap to Devil Fork Gap

DMcAvoy
09-08-2012, 11:46
My brother and I are looking for a 2-3 night point to point for March. I had seen some good reviews about the trail from Allen Gap to Devils Fork Gap. Any insight into the goods and bads of that trail? I could use any suggestions or ideas for that particular section or other simlar sections. I am an experienced backpacker but just getting back into it after a few years of laziness.

Thanks.

10-K
09-08-2012, 11:54
Very nice 20 mile section that stays on a ridge the entire hike. 3 shelters, all with reliable water sources and a few springs do away with the need to carry a lot of water. All kinds of places to camp - you won't hike a mile without finding a flat spot to pitch a tent or 2 trees to hang a hammock.

You'll start off with a good climb then there is a 1 mile exposed ridge walk that, to me, is one of the best on the AT in terms of panoramic views.

After the initial climb up the ridge the last 15 or so miles are easy

I have hiked it many times and if I start hiking at 7:00 at DFG I am at Allen Gap before 3:00 PM, even allowing for a 30 minute lunch and a stop for water a few times.

10-K
09-08-2012, 12:06
BTW, you will have a really hard time making this short section 2 or 3 nights. What about parking in Hot Springs and getting Bluff Mt. Outfitters to shuttle you to Devil's Fork Gap? That's just a bit over 30 miles.

Or... you could park in Erwin and hike from Devil's Fork Gap to Erwin. That's a great hike too. And was my first AT hike ever.. :)