PDA

View Full Version : The one thing you missed most on your long distance hike

RED-DOG
09-08-2012, 13:21
Okay every body this is just for the people that has accomplished a Thru-hike or a long distance hike so what is the one thing you missed most on you hike, for me it was a RADIO on all three of my thru's i missed music the most, and please stay on topic. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ):dance

max patch
09-08-2012, 13:39
Excluding friends and family, the "thing" that I missed the most was a daily newspaper.

Monkeywrench
09-08-2012, 13:40
Sex. (And some extra stuff to make my reply ten characters long.)

Heald
09-08-2012, 13:45
Honestly the thing I missed most was central heating. All of my hikes were thru winter, which involved reaching Springer in spring. Save one hike where I reached Springer mid February, I would dream of warmth and comfort every night I hit the hey. Any sort of man made heating facility that towns offered was a welcomed gift. There's nothing so intoxicating as getting warm when it's freezing cold on the AT.

Cookerhiker
09-08-2012, 14:21
My longest hike was last year's Colorado Trail thruhike and what I missed the most - that is, felt the absence of more than anything else - is something I was glad I missed: the Eastern summer humidity, especially overnight and early morning. It was so nice to awake to cool (if not cold) dry mornings instead of a sweaty face.

At town stops in Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida, & Silverton, I missed a cold beer with the excellent meals we enjoyed. Self-imposed - with acclimation and dehydration concerns, we both abstained until hike's end in Durango.

Moose2001
09-08-2012, 14:37
A comfy bed! I'm a side sleeper and I never get used to sleeping on a thermarest!

RED-DOG
09-08-2012, 16:41
Okay i know theirs more of exsperienced hikers out their and this is for fun and games.

Grampie
09-08-2012, 17:24
The things that I missed most on my thru-hike:
1. Hot morning shower.
2. Putting on a clean tea shirt and briefs.
3. Sitting on a real toilet to take a crap.
4. Sleeping in a bed with my wife.
5. Seeing my family.

Drybones
09-08-2012, 17:46
Truth be said, I didn't miss anything.