PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Thru Hikers

RangerPhil
09-08-2012, 14:58
Is anybody planning a 2013 thru hike of the Colorado Trail? Care to share your tentative start date? Gear lists? Etc.

Ranger

RodentWhisperer
09-09-2012, 09:22
My gear list is still in the works (although I posted my opening shot in that sortie earlier-- significant developments since then, but more to be done). The plan is to start in Waterton in the second week of July. I only call it a "plan" since 1) I'm negotiating my summer work schedule, and 2) I need to convince my wife to support me.

Number one is tedious. Number two is looking impossible. :-)

RangerPhil
09-09-2012, 12:02
RodentWhisperer - I know it is still a long way away. Would you have any interest in hiking together for any part of it? I'm coming from Connecticut so I'm looking to link up with locals that will have more knowledge of the area, attractions, terrain, etc. than I do. We should talk more.

Ranger

RodentWhisperer
09-09-2012, 17:14
I'm still up in the air, Ranger. But we can easily stay in touch via WhiteBlaze.

imPaqu
09-24-2012, 15:20
I've get started thinking about thru-hiking the CT this next year as well (or possibly a week or two on the trail). Much like RodentWhisperer, I have some work to do with the wife, work schedule and then the wife some more.

As far as gear goes, I'm a RayWay fan and have made a lot of my own gear and believe light is better.

If my dreams come true this would be my first thru-hike.

Keep me in the loop!

BensMusicHiker
10-01-2012, 18:38
Ive got the start date somewhere around 10-12 of july. I plan on taking my time and not rushing through it as i will have the time. My kit is not 100% complete and i am still experimenting with a few things but this is what it kinda looks like.

Pack - ULA Circuit
Sleeping Bag - North Face Cats Meow ( has worked well for me in the past not sure if ill have the cash to fork out for another )
Tent - GoLite Shangrila 1 with interior bug net ( may change looking at a few other options at the moment )
Hydration - 2l Platypus and 1l plastic bottle
Water filter - Katadyn Hiker Pro + few tablets for back up
Trekking Poles - Leki Corklite
Rain Gear - DriDucks (i know these are not the best and i will more than likely replace have not decided yet )
Cook Kit - Walmart Grease pot, coke can alcohol stove, aluminum wind screen, titanium spork
Ground Cloth - 4x8 tyvex sheet
Shoes - Montrail trail runners
Sleeping Pad - Therm-a-rest Zlite

thats the basics i am sure there are half a million things i forgot but thats the basics - obviously i excluded clothes becasue for the most part if feel those will differ from person to person based on what size they are. As i think of more stuff i will try and post. Let me know what time frame your looking at heading out!

San Juan Ron
10-20-2012, 19:01
Hi, I know it's real early, but I am considering thru hiking the CT in '13. I have hiked large portions of the trail (mostly the southern sections and many times in the San Juans), but would like to thru hike the entire CT in '13. I am planning on 5 weeks at roughly 15 miles per day. It would be great to have some hiking company for some or all of the hike. Dates are somewhat flexible but looking at mid-July to start. Thanks, Ron [email protected]

maybe clem
11-06-2012, 18:00
Count me in for an early June start date, still figuring out my gear list.

BensMusicHiker
11-06-2012, 20:42
I will be heading out around July 6th or 7th this is what my gear looks like roughly

Pack - ULA OHM 2.0
Tent - TarpTent Contrail
Sleeping Bag - WM Ultralite

Sleeping Pad - Therm-a-rest Z-lite (also have a POE Elite AC i may bring )
Trekking poles - Leki Speedlock aluminum poles
Hydration - 2L platy and .5L Foldable bottle
Water Filter - Katadyn Hiker Pro
Rain Gear - DriDucks
Cook Kit - Imsua Pot with Alchy stove and Ti folding spoon
Outer Jacket - Packable 7oz Uniqlo 800 fill down jacket
Base Layer - Terramar thermasilk top and bottom
Pillow - Cocoon ultralight

Thats the only things i really have nailed down, things like my first aid kit i put together myself, and the clothing i will wear and pack for the most part is still being decided.

I plan on doing it in about 5 weeks. I plan on about 13 -15 miles per day (really dont want to rush myself)

Paskids
11-06-2012, 22:15
I will be hiking CT in 13. Will start the first few days in August. I'm lucky enough to spend the previous two weeks in Olympic National Park.

RodentWhisperer
11-06-2012, 23:00
I will be hiking CT in 13. Will start the first few days in August. I'm lucky enough to spend the previous two weeks in Olympic National Park.

Mags would probably know better than I, but August seems like a late start to me. I've seen what can happen in the High Country at the end of Summer.

Paskids
11-06-2012, 23:13
I'll be in shape before I hit the trailhead. I want to enjoy my hike; not get in shape on the trail. My plan is to be through in 5 weeks.

Mags
11-07-2012, 11:09
Mags would probably know better than I, but August seems like a late start to me. I've seen what can happen in the High Country at the end of Summer.

Starting in early Augs means you end around early-mid September (depends if you take 4-6 wks). Sounds about right, actually. :)

colorado_rob
11-07-2012, 11:47
Starting in early Augs means you end around early-mid September (depends if you take 4-6 wks). Sounds about right, actually. :) Yep, typical years mid-August is around the end of the Colorado monsoon season, meaning less severe afternoon rain/thunderstorm issues. Assuming you're heading Denver->Durango, you'll hit the San Juans (SW Colorado) at what I consider to be the perfect time. Yes, the nights will be chilly and you might have a bit of snow, but significant snow is unlikely. If you're going Durango->Denver, that works well too, should be zero snow issues, although plan on it raining virtually every afternoon in the San Juans in August, but by the time you get to September, you'll be in a warmer climate.

Highway Man
11-07-2012, 12:00
Like what Mags and CO Bob said starting at early August is a perfect idea. At this time period, one should be less prone to the bad early afternoon thunderstorms, much less bothered by bugs, more solitude, and still feels pretty warm during the days depsite a few freezing mornings towards the trip end. I started at Aug. 5, and finished on Sept. 5. I have to admit it was a little chilly at nights in the last ten days of the hike, but not a big deal as long as one is prepared with sufficient equipment. The lows can be down to mid 20s.

Paskids
11-07-2012, 22:55
That's good news guys. Thanks for the input. I look forward to the chilly weather and only tolerate the rain. A little snow would be icing on the cake.

lonehiker
11-19-2012, 02:14
I hiked Waterton Canyon to Chalk Cr T/H in 16 days this past summer appx 232 miles. Started late Aug and finished early Sep. (sorry don't remember the exact start or end dates). But if I were to hike entire trail I would probably start the first week in Aug. Plan on finishing the trail in 2013 and will probably start late Aug. again. Perfect time of the year imo to hike out west. T-storms have diminished greatly, cooler days, no bugs. Have to be prepared for cold nights and possible snow though. One quick word of caution, if we have another dry winter be aware that the first couple of segments the water situation could be bleak especially if you have a later start. Not sure of the water situation in the southern section as I have yet to hike it.

GlobeTrotter
11-25-2012, 15:04
At the moment I am planning to thruhike the CT in 2013 starting early but probably mid august and finishing early but probably mid september. I know it might be a tight race against early snowstorms if I finish closer to mid late september going westbound. i will consider eastbound if i cant start early enough, but it does seem anticlimatic.

Do any locals know what the high passes in the san juans are like in mid late september? would snowshoes become an asset or critical assessory? could actually be fun if one can sit out the first dumps in protected valleys and then hit the passes with snowshoes? i cant imagine serious complications like avalanche threats that early though, or am i wrong?

I would try to start a bit earlier but I will be finishing my Peace Corps service in Ecuador in late april and setting off on an ambitious tour of hiking destinations in peru, venezuela, and colombia which I hope to squeeze into three months. My last thru hike was the Long Trail in fall 2009 and I am eager to tackle a near 500 mile thru hike on CT, especially given its terrain and environmental challenges. I see it as a training hike for a 500 mile thru hike on the nordkalottleden trail in the scandinavian arctic i am planning for in 2014.

-->Mags, Im a big fan of the Trail show. Keep it going...It is quite a lovely respite to listen to the podcasts and dream of thruhikes while I sit in my rural hut in coastal ecuador.

GlobeTrotter
11-25-2012, 15:27
One more question...I have the CT guide from 2008 or 09. I just saw the post about an 80 mile alternate thru the collegiates and have heard about popular alternates by taking the CDT or old CT at times. For a 2013 thruhike, will the basic info have changed that much that I couldnt just discern from maps. that is, if the recommended maps have the alternates marked already? or do i need to consider updating the guidebook?

Thanks in advance.

Mags
11-26-2012, 02:22
Thx for the kind words. The podcast has been a lot of fun. :)

As for snowshoes, a definite no.

If it snows in September, typically it is not enough to warrant snowshoes. The snow pack really does not build up to skiable terrain until about mid-December. Not to say September snow storms are anything to sneeze at..but needing snowshoes? Not so much. Generally any September snow melts off in a day or two (but not always).

If you have updated maps, you do not absolutely need a new gb. I'd suggest the new databook however. Very useful book.

bearcreek
11-26-2012, 13:21
If you have updated maps, you do not absolutely need a new gb. I'd suggest the new databook however. Very useful book.

New Data Book is in the works for 2013 season. It will include the Collegiate West route. Ditto for the Mapbook.

statentr
11-30-2012, 15:02
Hey All,
Planning on a CT thru hike next summer. Our tentative start dates are June10-17 depending on weather, snow pack, logistics, etc...

Below is my blog I have started for that trail and will eventually transition to the Te Araroa Trail in New Zealand next winter! As of now, I have a tentative gear list(not ultralight) and a tentative schedule with detailed info that is a guideline for our pacing. Enjoy!
Troy

http://coloradotrail2013.wordpress.com/

statentr
11-30-2012, 17:06
Is the new Collegiate West route through Missouri Gulch??

bearcreek
11-30-2012, 20:14
Is the new Collegiate West route through Missouri Gulch??

It is not, but that is a nice little CT alternate. You go over Hope Pass on what is now shared CT/CDT, but instead of turning right towards Winfield, continue down to the Sheep Gulch TH and go left down Clear Creek road a little less than 2 miles to the Missouri Gulch TH. Go up Missouri Gulch, then climb Missouri, Belford, and Oxford in one day. After that, continue over Elkhead Pass and follow the Pine Creek trail back to the CT. When we did it we camped in Missouri Gulch, then again on Pine Creek close to where it hits the CT. I remember sleeping very well that night....

statentr
12-01-2012, 12:28
It is not, but that is a nice little CT alternate. You go over Hope Pass on what is now shared CT/CDT, but instead of turning right towards Winfield, continue down to the Sheep Gulch TH and go left down Clear Creek road a little less than 2 miles to the Missouri Gulch TH. Go up Missouri Gulch, then climb Missouri, Belford, and Oxford in one day. After that, continue over Elkhead Pass and follow the Pine Creek trail back to the CT. When we did it we camped in Missouri Gulch, then again on Pine Creek close to where it hits the CT. I remember sleeping very well that night....

Thanks for the info! I definitely have that in the works as I feel it would be a fun and enjoyable alternative, especially since our time frame is a bit wide open!

dwarfnebula
12-08-2012, 23:24
I'm beginning planning for a CT trek with my pup, figuring to leave mid-late july. I'm also figuring to flip flop at the end of of segment 12 so I can just walk home and not have to screw around with finding dog friendly transport from Durango at an uncertain date. I'm giving myself 45 days, which is almost 11 miles a day avg, I won't be offended if I do it quicker, but this will be my first through hike.

I live in Buena Vista and will be happy to help anyone with resupply and rides when I'm not on the trail. If you're interested shoot me an e-mail.
-Chris

ceiling
01-29-2013, 21:30
I believe i am going to be doing the CT this summer for the first time. I am new to colorado and am looking forward to getting on the trail. any tips or advise would be appreciated. I hope I see some of you out there!

maybe clem
01-29-2013, 22:45
Any word on when the 2013 data book will be available for purchase?

On Track
02-01-2013, 12:37
New CT Databook completion date uncertain as yet. 'Months out' still. Many factors...hoping it hits store shelves by early trail season.

Cookerhiker
02-01-2013, 21:18
I believe i am going to be doing the CT this summer for the first time. I am new to colorado and am looking forward to getting on the trail. any tips or advise would be appreciated. I hope I see some of you out there!

I thruhiked the CT in 2011. My trail journal link is in the signature line below if you'd like to see my experience. First piece of advice: read Mags' on-line guide. You'll see a link if you click on the Colorado Trail forum and see the "sticky" posts at the top; one of them is Mags' guide (http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2).

Next piece of advice: acclimate! Know your limits for high-elevation exposure and acclimate accordingly. Took me 3 days - on the 3rd day, I was struggling mightily but by the morning of Day 4, I was miraculously better. You don't say what part of CO you live in but start spending daytimes at high elevations and drink lots of water.

For resupplying: start with Mags' guide and I also recommend this excellent WB thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?67659-Colorado-Trail-Trail-resupply-points).

Finally since you're new to CO, be advised that although the Rockies receive rain via thunderstorarms nearly every day, there are stretches of the CT where water availability is scarce. If you're serious about a thruhike, buy the Guidebook (which helps support the Colorado Trail Foundation) and study where the water sources are on these dry stretches, keeping in mind that some years are drier than others.

It's a magnificent trail. Good luck!

HeartFire
02-05-2013, 18:56
I too am planning to hike the CT this summer, I wont get started till late July or the 1st of August. Hopefully dragging a good friend along, otherwise probably hiking by myself (which I don't really want to do).

Wuff
02-07-2013, 17:58
Just got approval from the boss for a 4-5 week hike. Super pumped to hit the Colorado Trail, hopefully leaving Boulder around August 1st. Hoping I don't get run over by a mountain bike, which I've heard has gotten a bit out of hand in the past few years??

-Frizzle