PDA

View Full Version : Stepping outta my hammock, talk me out of an MSR Hubba...

war cry
09-09-2012, 11:01
Hey y'all,

I'm looking to buy a new tent. I've got a Hennessy Hammock with the larger rain tarp, but have decided to go back to ground sleeping. If anybody is interested in the Hammock, PM me. I'll give you a nice deal....

I am looking at the MSR Hubba (light and freestanding), SMD Skyskape (light and cheap) and the reviews make me want a Lightheart Solo... Any input on these items? Or recommendations for what else could work?

Much thanks,
JP

war cry
09-09-2012, 11:14
The Hammock is an Ultralite ASYM Zip...

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/specs/ultralite_backpacker_asym_zip/#recommended_accessories

With this tarp setup....

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/hex_rainfly_30d_sylnylon/

A $350 value.... looking for $275... Only used a month, in great condition...

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2012, 11:29
wow - this is a first. Hey great deal - but one month? what happened?

Toli
09-09-2012, 11:51
Hey y'all,

I'm looking to buy a new tent. I've got a Hennessy Hammock with the larger rain tarp, but have decided to go back to ground sleeping. If anybody is interested in the Hammock, PM me. I'll give you a nice deal....

I am looking at the MSR Hubba (light and freestanding), SMD Skyskape (light and cheap) and the reviews make me want a Lightheart Solo... Any input on these items? Or recommendations for what else could work?

Much thanks,
JP

​Sent you a PM...

HikerMom58
09-09-2012, 13:00
1 vote for the MSR Hubba.... my daughter and I both have one.. she's says it's the best tent in the world. I like it just fine & I take her word for it. :p

Sugarfoot
09-09-2012, 13:43
I had the Lightheart Solo and upgraded to the Lightheart Cuben fiber Awning. Just back from Harper Ferry south through Shenandoah and absolutely loved the tent. It's not free-standing but I've never found that to be a problem, even on wooden tent platforms. I had one night with about 1-1/2" of rain and it was great to have the awning and be able to see out. Stayed bone dry and not a drop of condensate. Plenty of room for me and my gear and tall enough for me to sit up in the center.

daddytwosticks
09-09-2012, 16:32
Another vote for the Lightheart Solo. Love mine. :)

war cry
09-10-2012, 09:30
WOO,

I actually like the Hammock, but it's my 2nd shelter and I recently had a pile of gear stolen out of my car. I need to replace my pack, rain shells, etc. more immediately than I need a really cool hammock :). I am willing to let it go for $275 with the larger tarp. I could also be talked down a bit, as I really need the money to replace my other gear.

RodentWhisperer
09-10-2012, 21:25
Ever consider a TarpTent Notch? Very light, two doors/vestibules, well ventilated, and relatively low-cost ($259):
http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 11:56
I'm hiking the AT for the first time and have heard pros and cons about tent vs hammock. I need to get some gear... any thoughts? I'm hiking southbound, starting in May.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 14:10
Make that NOBO

scope
10-15-2012, 14:33
I'm hiking the AT for the first time and have heard pros and cons about tent vs hammock. I need to get some gear... any thoughts? I'm hiking southbound, starting in May.

Search threads hear first for some of the back and forth on the issue. Then go to hammockforums.net which is a spinoff of whiteblaze.

I'm a hanger, but if I think back to when I was 25, I don't know if I would have appreciated hanging like I do now. That's because I could recover a lot better when I was younger from not having good sleep. Its a great feeling to get all warm and cozy wrapped up in your bag in a tent... but then you wake up and have to hike and you realize it wasn't all that restful. Hanging is almost never nirvana - but the getting up and hiking after sleeping in a hammock sure is compared to getting up from the ground. For both tent and hammock, you get used to it, you figure it out a little more, and it gets better. Tenting is a little easier to figure out from the get go and because hanging has a learning curve, that throws a lot of folks at first. But, from day 1, I could tell a huge difference. Again, though, I was 40 at the time and might not have been that big a difference at 25.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 14:56
thanks! I'm thinking I might go for the hammock. I fall asleep in mine at my hosue all the time! Just want to make sure I'm protected from all the elements.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 15:07
One more thing. In addition to the hammock...what do I need as far as pads or blankets. Hiking in May NOBO, don't plan on hitting super cold weather.

The Old Boot
10-15-2012, 15:10
One more thing. In addition to the hammock...what do I need as far as pads or blankets. Hiking in May NOBO, don't plan on hitting super cold weather.

You need to hit the sister site and start reading - hammockforums.net

Happy Hanging

Starchild
10-15-2012, 16:59
Everyone I know who has the MSR Hubba loves it and recommends it.

Also look at the MSR Carbon Reflex, sort of the same & sort of different then the MSR Hubba.

The MSR Carbon Reflex has the same space and is lighter. The Carbon Reflex is not freestanding but can be moved while set up and can be made freestanding with the trekking poles. For a non-freestanding tent it has all the benefits of freestanding. It was the Carbon Reflex's similarity to the popular Hubba plus the desire to save weight that made me go for the MSR Carbon Reflex and I am happy I went that direction.

scope
10-17-2012, 12:34

A light pad will work good. Closed cell pads are a little warmer and a little cheaper, and while they aren't as comfy as an inflatable on the ground, that doesn't matter in a hammock. The other issue in a hammock is that it wraps around you, so the typical 20" wide pad only insulates your very bottom, not your shoulders, etc. Might not be too much of an issue in May, but it can get surprisingly cold through early June.

trovar
10-21-2012, 03:07
That makes a lot of sense. One rarely hears of people going back to ground unless they're gram weenies!

pappagreenjeans
10-21-2012, 10:31
THE HUBBA IS TERRIFIC! you would never have a better shelter with durability, breathable, and very lightweight!

I have had my Hubba for eight years on the coasts of Jamaica in the sand, in the Green Mountains of Vermont, river and creek sides of Ohio.....NOT ONE RIP TEAR OR LEAK EVER.....

AND I NEVER BABIED IT; IF YOU THINK YOU WANT ONE GET IT :)

Hosaphone
10-21-2012, 13:47
Talk me out of an MSR Hubba

Heavy, expensive, large footprint makes stealth camping annoying.

Get a tarp ;) The Lightheart solo / SoLong look amazing if you hate bugs.

BigRing
10-21-2012, 18:35
I have an MSR Hubba, and I really like it....freestanding...easy to setup/takedown. I just replaced the aluminum poles with carbon fiber.......it is just a great tent.

AngryGerman
10-26-2012, 13:53
I hang as well and this is just my opinion; if you have a legit hammock setup i.e; rain-fly, under quilt, top quilt; there should be no reason to convert back to ground sleeping. I am currently through hiking the AT and there have been times when hanging was not a good idea; not many though; and MAN did I feel the difference in the morning! I was sure and felt like I didn't sleep a wink. This is just my experience and if it was me I would stick to hanging ensuring you have the setup that you enjoy! Onward Southward! AG out!

wiggler
10-26-2012, 16:59
any problems with the cold.Lot of netting

wiggler
10-26-2012, 17:00
???? with all the netting isn't it cold in early March,April on trail