PDA

View Full Version : Good temp for drying spinach?

Different Socks
09-09-2012, 11:02
Got a big 3/4 full bag of spinach that my employer was going to throw away. Not good enough for customers but good enough to dry for me. What is good temp to set dryer at?

Maddog
09-09-2012, 11:23
My food dehydrator only has one setting so I just go with that! If I dry it in the oven, I set it at 175*! Keep an eye on it! Maddog:D

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2012, 11:27
wash and towel dry or use a spinner. There isn't a good reason for dehydrating it.

theoilman
09-09-2012, 13:59
My dehydrator says 135 for fruits and veges.

Different Socks
09-09-2012, 16:41
wash and towel dry or use a spinner. There isn't a good reason for dehydrating it.

WOO--What's a spinner?

Hairbear
09-09-2012, 19:25
take two screens off your house put the spinich between the screens ,and set outside in the sun,but up off the ground.i use four blocks under the corners and one on the top screen so it wont blow off.set it out when you know it wont rain the sun and wind will dry it just like hay,you wont need to watch it,and it will probably be dry when you get home from work.same as sun dried tomatoes.

Rasty
09-09-2012, 19:48

WOO--What's a spinner?

A salad spinner uses centrifugal force to dry lettuce. I think it's also a type of fishing reel, but I'm pretty sure WOO was referring to the first.

Would cooked spinach dry better without wilting?

Different Socks
09-09-2012, 20:32
Put 3 trays on at 120 and all dried in only 5 hours. Amazing!! Can't wait to add to so some many meals!!
Got 3 more trays drying now. Hard to believe my dehydrator is at least 21 years old and still going strong.

coach lou
09-09-2012, 21:25
A salad spinner uses centrifugal force to dry lettuce. I think it's also a type of fishing reel, but I'm pretty sure WOO was referring to the first.

Would cooked spinach dry better without wilting?

A spinner in fishing is the stage of life[dead] of the mayfly after it has layed it's eggs and has expired, drops to the river surface and floats away. They must taste good 'cause when the 'Spinner fall' is on trout go nuts!

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2012, 22:32
WOO--What's a spinner?

Put 3 trays on at 120 and all dried in only 5 hours. Amazing!! Can't wait to add to so some many meals!!
Got 3 more trays drying now. Hard to believe my dehydrator is at least 21 years old and still going strong.

Yea a salad spinner... WHY a dehydrator? salad is already in ounces.

fins1838
09-10-2012, 08:41
Gross. Old spinach. Give it to your local pig farmer.

Texico
10-03-2012, 23:42
Yea a salad spinner... WHY a dehydrator? salad is already in ounces.
In this case it's not to save weight, but to make the spinach keep longer. Dehydrated and properly sealed it will last MUCH longer than fresh. I can't wait to get my own dehydrator...

sarbar
10-09-2012, 18:49
I know this is an old post but spinach is great dried. You can dry cooked or raw, either way works well. I prefer raw spinach. Dry at 135* or so and when dried crumble into flakes. The flakes when added to meals rehydrate nearly instantly. Don't worry about preserving full pieces!