PDA

View Full Version : Food Stamps for the trail

sobodude
09-09-2012, 14:28
i am planning a dual nobo thru hike starting march 31st '012. (our 1 year anniversary) i am considering applying for food benefits before the trip. it could decrease my girlfriends and my food budget by 400$ a month. has anyone ever brought their food stamp card on the trail? if so, were you able to use it often in trail towns? i notice from reading the companion that there are alot of towns that have walmart, cvs, rite aid, gas stations etc. do these stores accept food stamps? i have heard that technology is a bit slow in many rural areas, so i wanted to figure out which towns i could rely on using the card for? i suppose i could check the stores, and if the card is accepted, either bounce my boxes ahead or send back to family.

i have no shame in using the government hand out, and we are already stretching funds to budget for gear, hostels, hotels, transportation etc.

any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

-dan(ninja)

kayak karl
09-09-2012, 14:48
when you get caught, and you will get caught. i will be glad my government is tracking you down for theft and making you repay every cent.

you will be violating the government contract that you both signed.

TD55
09-09-2012, 14:54
1st post. Troll. Maybe the cafe got boring.

johnnybgood
09-09-2012, 14:59
The only thing I can agree with in your post is the start date and you even screwed that up. Hell , lets all go hiking on the governments expense.

Don H
09-09-2012, 15:24
I met several people hiking on unemployment. Don't know how you're suppose to find a job on the trail but maybe one could get a job stirring the privy.

kayak karl
09-09-2012, 15:52
I met several people hiking on unemployment. Don't know how you're suppose to find a job on the trail but maybe one could get a job stirring the privy.
your suppose to put a hold on your unemployment.
i friend just got caught and had to repay $2600. we told him, but he said how will they know. his Ex turned him in. LOL

hikerboy57
09-09-2012, 16:05
1st post. Troll. Maybe the cafe got boring.
havent had a troll in the cafe yet:)

TD55
09-09-2012, 16:40
havent had a troll in the cafe yet:)
Really? The few times I've looked in there the place looked like it was full of them,

scree
09-09-2012, 16:43
Just be aware, if I happened to catch wind of someone doing this and I could collect any kind evidence, I would go out of my way to get them busted. I have a hunch a lot of other people would too. That's my tax dollars you're trying to defraud, and the money is intended to get people through tough times, not fund vacations.

Stir Fry
09-09-2012, 16:52
Just be aware, if I happened to catch wind of someone doing this and I could collect any kind evidence, I would go out of my way to get them busted. I have a hunch a lot of other people would too. That's my tax dollars you're trying to defraud, and the money is intended to get people through tough times, not fund vacations.

+1 on your post. I would hope they woud get the max too.

Old Hiker
09-09-2012, 16:55
+2, Scree. I'm tired of working and getting my hard earned dollars taken by the gum'mint to pay free-loaders.

If a Troll, you got your response.

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2012, 17:04

Well said, I don't mind it when my taxes go to help people in need, but there is no excuse for thinking that it's acceptable to use the social safety net to fund a six month vacation.

hikerboy57
09-09-2012, 17:06
Really? The few times I've looked in there the place looked like it was full of them,
whatever............

bamboo bob
09-09-2012, 17:07
Please. Just don't respond to trolls. It makes WB a bore.

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2012, 17:10
Please. Just don't respond to trolls. It makes WB a bore.

What worries me is that a lot of times I suspect that the people writing posts like this are being serious.

Mother Natures Son
09-09-2012, 17:30
I don't know how it is on other parts of the trail but here in PA, that's a big no-no. (You might have the cops throw you in the big house for a long time.) If you have to use Food Stamps, it would be very hard to put in any miles with out going broke first.

slow mind
09-09-2012, 17:33
He is asking for help to commit a felony. Mods should provide his (Dan) info to the athorities who can in turn provide his name and info to the proper states with bridge cards preventing him from stealing OUR money, NOT a government handout!

rickb
09-09-2012, 17:50
I am guessing that some of those responding to thi thead would have not problem palling around with someone collecting unemployment whanil out on the trail -- not that that ever happens.

That said, they make some excellent points.

moocow
09-09-2012, 18:17
Where's the troll-be-gone when you need it.

Hairbear
09-09-2012, 18:48
i have had employees who brag about purposly missing so many days a quarter to get more benifits.i hope my groaning from bulging disks doesnt interupt your freaking freebie festival.and they wounder whats wrong with this country.

T-Rx
09-09-2012, 18:56

+1 Scree. I would happily help get a freeloader like this busted for defrauding the hardworking people in this country.

Drybones
09-09-2012, 19:04
Many of you think our gov.t would have a problem with this, those are days gone by, not today. Do you realize our current administration is advertising to get more people on food stamps, not get people off. The more people getting hand outs, the more likely they stay in power. I've recently come to understand how political parties function, it's about how they can use our tax dollars to serve them...doesn't make much difference which party.

Hairbear
09-09-2012, 19:17
Many of you think our gov.t would have a problem with this, those are days gone by, not today. Do you realize our current administration is advertising to get more people on food stamps, not get people off. The more people getting hand outs, the more likely they stay in power. I've recently come to understand how political parties function, it's about how they can use our tax dollars to serve them...doesn't make much difference which party.+1....the gov wants people on public assistance ,those dependent are less likely to change or revolt against anything .this results in the powers that be keep doing what they do best.

hikerboy57
09-09-2012, 19:23
I think most people have more pride than you believe.yes there are leeches,but living on welfare isnt some gravy train.for many right now,its a necessity.i.n the trolls case,he needs to look for work

CrumbSnatcher
09-09-2012, 19:23
Many of you think our gov.t would have a problem with this, those are days gone by, not today. Do you realize our current administration is advertising to get more people on food stamps, not get people off. The more people getting hand outs, the more likely they stay in power. I've recently come to understand how political parties function, it's about how they can use our tax dollars to serve them...doesn't make much difference which party.
Drybones is right, even though its a damn shame! tons of illegals getting tons of food stamps and health care too.
a story on yahoo news just last month, a whistleblower explained how her bosses said to not worry about current ID's or ID's at all, wic and the USDA working together making money off giving away free ****! the undercover crew even set up a sting to confirm the story, it showed illegals driving up with brand new vehicles, then sending in the wife and kids and getting 1,000 in food stamps just for asking WITHOUT PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP! we live in the greatest country in the world, but our government needs to be rehauled

Heald
09-09-2012, 19:24

That's hilarious! As many Americans that want to can collect Food Stamps. 25 million, 35 million, 50 million...But step out on trail and "scree" will report you. Get real dude. You think everyone going thru a tough time is the only ones who collect? You would hate to shop at my grocery store buddy.

T-Rx
09-09-2012, 19:27
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Drybones http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1335984#post1335984)

+1....the gov wants people on public assistance ,those dependent are less likely to change or revolt against anything .this results in the powers that be keep doing what they do best.

Agree completely. Could not have said it any better myself.

Heald
09-09-2012, 19:33

Sadly, I have to agree. But it goes beyond that with "Government involvement". The entire housing bubble was a government ploy. Give someone cable TV, a toaster oven, and a house. That person will suddenly become very loyal to the fed.

Rasty
09-09-2012, 19:40

Sadly, I have to agree. But it goes beyond that with "Government involvement". The entire housing bubble was a government ploy. Give someone cable TV, a toaster oven, and a house. That person will suddenly become very loyal to the fed.

Until the check bounces! Look at Greece and Spain.

T-Rx
09-09-2012, 19:43
That's hilarious! As many Americans that want to can collect Food Stamps. 25 million, 35 million, 50 million...But step out on trail and "scree" will report you. Get real dude. You think everyone going thru a tough time is the only ones who collect? You would hate to shop at my grocery store buddy.

Heald I think you are missing the point. There will always be people that abuse the systems in place that are designed to help those in need. But that doesn't make it right. I realize that you will never stop this type of behavior but if you stand by and do nothing then certainly nothing will ever change. Just my humble opinion.

hikerboy57
09-09-2012, 19:47
The federal reserve should be abolished.our countrys growth has become dependent upon the expansion of debt. we are a country that is drunk on debt.

TD55
09-09-2012, 19:48
It's actually a corporate subsidy, agriculture to be specific. It gets the poor off rice and beans and pasta and enables them to buy foods they otherwise could not afford. Since most of our food comes from corporate owned farms, they reap the greatest benefits. The grocery stores benefit as well, and they are mostly corporate owned.

rickb
09-09-2012, 19:49
So what do you need to do to get them? Just ask?

scree
09-09-2012, 19:52

So why don't you get off your ass and do something about it? If you see it, recognize what's happening, and still do nothing, you are part of the problem.

I find it interesting that convenience and grocery store owners have been increasingly suspected of defrauding the food stamp system. Yes, it's tough for the USDA to police it. Yes, people are complacent. However, people in this country need to start taking action and holding people accountable for waste, fraud, and abuse if it's ever going to get better. One case at a time adds up.

Check this out: http://oversight.house.gov/hearing/food-stamp-fraud-as-a-business-model-usdas-struggle-to-police-store-owners/ I'm not accusing you of anything, but if you're aware of problems at your grocery store be aware that it is a significant and well-documented problem. It's not flying completely under the radar anymore.

I'll help out in any little way I can. So yes, if I see it or suspect it, I'll take action.

Heald
09-09-2012, 19:59
Heald I think you are missing the point. There will always be people that abuse the systems in place that are designed to help those in need. But that doesn't make it right. I realize that you will never stop this type of behavior but if you stand by and do nothing then certainly nothing will ever change. Just my humble opinion.

Did you stand by and do nothing? Or did you put forth an effort to stop this behavior?

TD55
09-09-2012, 20:03
The OP would have to apply and provide financial information, show what he has in checking and savings accounts and income. They will even want to know how much cash he has in his pocket. He would have to provide employment records (pay stubs) and if he is not employed he would be required to go to unemployment for assistance in finding a job. He would be required to apply for work and make the same effort as those that collect unemployment checks.

Rasty
09-09-2012, 20:06
The OP would have to apply and provide financial information, show what he has in checking and savings accounts and income. They will even want to know how much cash he has in his pocket. He would have to provide employment records (pay stubs) and if he is not employed he would be required to go to unemployment for assistance in finding a job. He would be required to apply for work and make the same effort as those that collect unemployment checks.

That is the requirement to get started. What about afterwards?

Heald
09-09-2012, 20:06
So why don't you get off your ass and do something about it? If you see it, recognize what's happening, and still do nothing, you are part of the problem.

I find it interesting that convenience and grocery store owners have been increasingly suspected of defrauding the food stamp system. Yes, it's tough for the USDA to police it. Yes, people are complacent. However, people in this country need to start taking action and holding people accountable for waste, fraud, and abuse if it's ever going to get better. One case at a time adds up.

Check this out: http://oversight.house.gov/hearing/food-stamp-fraud-as-a-business-model-usdas-struggle-to-police-store-owners/ I'm not accusing you of anything, but if you're aware of problems at your grocery store be aware that it is a significant and well-documented problem. It's not flying completely under the radar anymore.

I'll help out in any little way I can. So yes, if I see it or suspect it, I'll take action.

Anyone who tells me to "get off my ass and do something about it", then tells me in the same breath that they are "not accusing you [me] of anything" deserves zero respect from me. I won't even ask what you have "done about this" because all you have done thus far is leave a failed link, on weak post, to a website that has nothing to do with this topic.

T-Rx
09-09-2012, 20:20
Did you stand by and do nothing? Or did you put forth an effort to stop this behavior?

Heald, I do what I can. My congressmen probably know me by name I have made so many phone calls to their offices and written so many letters to them. Not only about issues like this but about many issues involving government spending, waste and misuse of taxpayer dollars. It probably serves no purpose other than to make me feel better but at least I am trying to do something. You may also be an activist for certain causes that are important to you and for that I commend you as well. I am just so tired of our gov't taking the money of hardworking Americans and giving it to those who seem to make a career of living off of taxpayer dollars.

scree
09-09-2012, 20:22
Anyone who tells me to "get off my ass and do something about it", then tells me in the same breath that they are "not accusing you [me] of anything" deserves zero respect from me. I won't even ask what you have "done about this" because all you have done thus far is leave a failed link, on weak post, to a website that has nothing to do with this topic.

Looks like I struck a nerve. I suggest you think long and hard about how you respond to any crimes, including the one proposed by the original poster, that you may observe in your grocery store. The USDA does care about this problem, and perhaps more importantly, people like me do too.

TD55
09-09-2012, 20:24
That is the requirement to get started. What about afterwards?
I know only one person currently on food stamps. She is a single mother of one child. She is required to submit signed forms and provide changes in her income on a monthly basis. The amount of food stamps she receives from month to month is dependent on this information.

CrumbSnatcher
09-09-2012, 20:34
I know only one person currently on food stamps. She is a single mother of one child. She is required to submit signed forms and provide changes in her income on a monthly basis. The amount of food stamps she receives from month to month is dependent on this information.
the f***** up thing is if your an american you need to show proof and ID as you say, but if your an illegal you can get the same benifits if not more by proving nothing!
same with drivers licenses, if you or me walk into the DMV we have to show records of who we are like birth certificates, how the hell are all the illegals getting drivers licenses then

CrumbSnatcher
09-09-2012, 20:36
its harder for american's to get assistance than non-american's

Heald
09-09-2012, 20:43
Looks like I struck a nerve. I suggest you think long and hard about how you respond to any crimes, including the one proposed by the original poster, that you may observe in your grocery store. The USDA does care about this problem, and perhaps more importantly, people like me do too.

When you tell a blue collar working class guy to "get off my [their] ass and do something about it" do you NOT expect to strike a nerve? I mean seriously, you expect that person to bow out? The fact is you become a catalyst in their reaction, my reaction. So don't sit there banging away at your keyboard thinking you have nothing to do with why you're being attacked on your front.

Go ahead and call the USDA up and see how far you get with accusations you might discover. That kind of action is the lowest form to reform known to man, it's the "go to" reaction that is expected from someone who just wants to "dabble" in political policy, but not get their feet wet. The easy way out. The "feel good" about yourself method. Who cares that you care? When you idly sit by and let it happen? I mean seriously dude, you pine about how much you care. Big deal, a lot of people care, and they don't do shi7 about it, just like you. Good for you, you care. Show it. I dare you.

Heald
09-09-2012, 20:47
its harder for american's to get assistance than non-american's

That statement in itself is sad, however it does hold water. If it was "just as easy" then maybe "Joe bag o' donuts" wouldn't be so pissed off in the system.

TD55
09-09-2012, 20:49
Illegals getting ID's, food stamps, etc. are state issue's. Welfare, unemployment, food stamps, medicaid, etc. might be funded with federal funds, but they are managed and enforced by state agencies. Some states do good jobs and some are horrible. ID availability differs from state to state except for the new Homeland Security law that is requiring proof of legal residence and that is new and it is unknown how it will work or if it will work. Up to now a handful of states have given out licenses to whoever had the cash to pay for them.

Alligator
09-09-2012, 20:53
Hey folks-NO POLITICS.

Several of you know better:(.