PDA

View Full Version : Campsite Between Frye Notch & Hall Mountain (ME)

Kerosene
09-09-2012, 15:29
My section hike logistics just got shifted on me and I'm adjusting plans.

Is there any sort of flat spot that could accommodate a 2-person tarp between the Frye Notch and Hall Mtn. shelters? I'm willing to dry-camp if needed. I see reference to Dunn Falls, Surplus Pond and a gravel road that might be options. Knowing that the terrain is pretty rugged, with a lot of rocks and roots and underbrush, I'd prefer to have some confidence that I will be able to setup somewhere between these shelters. Otherwise, it looks as if I'll be stuck with a short 5.8-mile day, a long 16.3-mile day, or a hostel in Andover (is there one, and how easy is it to get into town?).

Similarly, is there anywhere to camp between South Arm Road and Bemis Mtn. Lean-to?

Don H
09-09-2012, 15:38
Pine Ellis Hostel is in Andover. You can hitch from East B Road or South Arm Road. They will pick you up if you can get a call out from one of the peaks, maybe Bald Pate. 207-392-4161 or www.pineellislodging.com.

mainebob
09-13-2012, 20:12
there is a very nice camping spot just before you cross b hill road. you cross the stream going north and go right before you would go up a small incline to the road. i think this is were the old frye notch sheter was years ago. there is also a place to camp as you cross surplus pond. i always liked the spot by b hill road.

mainebob
09-13-2012, 20:20
fyi, i also passed a guy camping in a spot near the bemis stream trail, but do not think it was near a water source. it was not a bad hike from there down to the shelter.