PDA

View Full Version : Quilt virgin...am I doing something wrong?

Pumba
09-09-2012, 15:37
So, yesterday I received my Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt in their wide width. I layed it out on my bed last night, as I just got it in the mail, and it just seems odd. I can't get it to wrap around me completely near my upper torso. I should be able to, right? I assumed when I purchased it that it would have a similar, but looser fit, as a mummy bag. Am I doing it all wrong? Now, I'm no skinny joe, but I'm not THAT large.

I know typically in the non-backpacking world, a quilt just lays on top of you. If that is the case with these, what goes beneath you to keep you warm? Please help!

SouthMark
09-09-2012, 15:52
The part of a sleeping bag that is under you does not keep you warm. It is compressed and has no real insulation value. That is the purpose of a quilt, it just eliminates the useless part of a sleeping bag under your body and the unnecessary weight. The pad that you use under your sleeping bag is what insulates your underside and the same is true with a quilt. You do not wrap a quilt completely around you. You lay it over you but tuck it in around you. Some actually attach to pads, some have straps that fasten around a pad, etc.

Pumba
09-09-2012, 16:12
Well, that makes a lot of sense and explains the straps. I feel like an idiot, but at least now I know how to use it. :) Thanks!

leaftye
09-09-2012, 18:46
It should be able to wrap around you, otherwise I don't know how you'd be able to sleep on your side. Only the edges get tucked under you though, and that's either just to keep out drafts or because it's unavoidable like at your shoulders and feet.

leaftye
09-09-2012, 18:48
If you can keep out drafts and stay warm, you're doing it right.

Bucho
09-17-2012, 18:42
I can't get it to wrap around me completely near my upper torso. I should be able to, right?

No.

Hairbear
09-18-2012, 04:28
look for shugs under quilt instalation on you tube its a good illustration.

cmich
10-28-2012, 22:37
You should be able to tuck the edges of the quilt under you to keep out the drafts, but it does not necessarly have to wrap all the way around you to keep you warm.