PDA

View Full Version : Who are the current shuttllers in Pennsylvania?

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2012, 21:43
Hey I got a great PM'ed a good question and I figured there are some really good answers here. I had some ideas - but I have used friends, family, and clubs for years. So who are the current available shuttlers for PA?

Cookerhiker
09-09-2012, 21:59
Did you already consult the ATC list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/form-990/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-8-21-12.pdf)?

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2012, 23:03
Good start - when I call them tommorrow... well we will see.

tdoczi
09-10-2012, 00:24
PA shuttles have always been a problem for me. even the people on the list invariably dont respond or have told me they arent shuttling any longer or have very limited availability. luckily i am done with the state and dont envision myself going back to ever do more than a dayhike. good luck.

LIhikers
09-10-2012, 00:33
Years ago my wife and I used Michael Gelinas 2 years in a row. Both times he was right on time and had a vehicle that was clean and in good condition. Seemed like a nice guy too. You can find his info on the ATC list.

Cookerhiker
09-10-2012, 07:07
Years ago my wife and I used Michael Gelinas 2 years in a row. Both times he was right on time and had a vehicle that was clean and in good condition. Seemed like a nice guy too. You can find his info on the ATC list.

I used him also, back in '04. Not only was he reliable but when my arranged end-of-hike pickup cancelled out at the last minute, Mike came on a moment's notice. He drove all the way from Boiling Springs to Port Clinton in pouring rain to fetch us.

dperry
09-12-2012, 22:24
The ones we've used so far (not counting my wife's uncle who helped us on our very first AT hike from PA 183 to Port Clinton:)):

--Amy Reinke (one of the RoseSniffers) took us from Pine Grove Furnace to Caledonia. She was prompt and reasonably priced.
--We used Janet Goloub a couple of times in the Lehigh Gap/DWG areas. The only problem with her is, you may actually feel guilty at how little she charges you--and she refuses any tips.
--John Stempa got us from Wind Gap to Smith Gap. Again, prompt and reasonable. Warning: likes to talk;). If you're nice to him and are going past where his house is, he'll probably also help you with water--and that's an area where help with water is even better than usual.
--Edge of the Woods in DWG is run by a really nice couple. We got a couple of short rides from them between Wind Gap and DWG. A bit more expensive, but again, prompt and friendly.

Don H
09-13-2012, 07:16

+1 on Mike, I've used him 3 times and recommended him to friends.

Lauriep
09-13-2012, 10:11
A useful link to the ATC shuttle list is www.appalachiantrail.org/shuttles (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/shuttles).

This takes you to our "Parking, Shuttles & Transportation" page, which has a link to the latest PDF of the shuttle list (currently September 10). We update the list periodically throughout the year, sometimes a few weeks apart, sometimes a few months, depending on the scope of the changes and how busy we are. We can't create a friendly link to a PDF.

Laurie P.
ATC

tdoczi
09-13-2012, 11:22
A useful link to the ATC shuttle list is www.appalachiantrail.org/shuttles (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/shuttles).

This takes you to our "Parking, Shuttles & Transportation" page, which has a link to the latest PDF of the shuttle list (currently September 10). We update the list periodically throughout the year, sometimes a few weeks apart, sometimes a few months, depending on the scope of the changes and how busy we are. We can't create a friendly link to a PDF.

Laurie P.
ATC

on a handful of occasions ive contacted folks on the most recent version of the ATC shuttle list and had them tell me they do not shuttle any longer. does the ATC make an effort to verify that the shuttlers are actually still doing so or is it up to someone to remove themselves from the list if they want out? i could understand the reasons for either approach and am not advocating or suggesting anything, i'm just curious.

Don H
09-13-2012, 14:27
I would think that if someone is on the list and they don't want to do shuttles any longer they would contact the ATC and be removed.

tdoczi
09-13-2012, 15:13
I would think that if someone is on the list and they don't want to do shuttles any longer they would contact the ATC and be removed.

you would think that, and so would i, but the "current" list still bears the names of 2 people who last year told me they were no longer doing shuttles. one of them momentarily relented and told me i'd be his last shuttle. his name is still on the list that was "updated" on september 10th, 2012.

johnnybgood
09-13-2012, 17:51
Birchy Champlain shuttled me from Boiling Springs last year. I'm not sure if he is still around as I here he was closing the doors on his hostel. He is a member here on Whiteblaze.

elray
09-14-2012, 16:03
Ditto again on Mike Gelinas. Have used him three times, very reliable and a fountain of information!