PDA

View Full Version : repairing silnylon

Feral Bill
09-10-2012, 00:35
The good news is my son had a successful week's hike in North Idaho. The bad news is he severely abraded a section of the nice silnylon tarp I let him use. Close to 1 square foot is affected, needing a big patch. The repair kits seem to have a patch of unspecified size, which I'm guessing is pretty small. Any idea or sources?

Thanks,
FB

HeartFire
09-10-2012, 05:47
What color silnylon do you need and how big? I have plenty of scraps I can send
Judy - LightHeart Gear

Feral Bill
09-10-2012, 11:54
What color silnylon do you need and how big? I have plenty of scraps I can send
Judy - LightHeart Gear
It's green, the regular Equinox color. Honestly, though, I'd be grateful for any color. I expect I can find adhesive locally. He anchored a corner with granite on a granite slab in a huge windstorm, leaving it it chewed up pretty badly for a foot or so back from the grommet. Please let me know the cost. I know there is postage and that your time and effort are valuable. And please accept my sincere thanks, as well.

FB

kayak karl
09-10-2012, 12:03
i used the self adhesive repair tape from rei or ems? to repair my pinnacle pack. still on there 3 years later.

HeartFire
09-10-2012, 13:30
It's green, the regular Equinox color. Honestly, though, I'd be grateful for any color. I expect I can find adhesive locally. He anchored a corner with granite on a granite slab in a huge windstorm, leaving it it chewed up pretty badly for a foot or so back from the grommet. Please let me know the cost. I know there is postage and that your time and effort are valuable. And please accept my sincere thanks, as well.

FB

PM me with your snail mail address and I'll get some in the mail for you. Generally for large areas that need patching I advise people to sew the patch on - you can then cut out the bad stuff from the underside if you want to, and seam seal the whole thing with silnet. A no sew method is to cut the patch to fit, smear silnet over the entire patch and just glue in place. Make sure the area you are gluing to is clean.

Buffalo Skipper
09-12-2012, 14:18
Feral Bill, I know you did not ask, but I just did a repair on a silnylon tarp. It was smaller than yours but the same idea (son involved). I documented it here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58600). For the actual repair, go down to post #8; it includes lots of pictures.

Hope that helps you out.

Feral Bill
09-12-2012, 14:56
Thanks to one and all. I will report back on results