PDA

View Full Version : Map sets vs guide book and electronic versions

Starchild
09-10-2012, 07:38
I'm looking for help and input for what to bring. I have seen many of the thru hikers using the AWOL guide book which states in txt format what to expect at what mile along the trail. Things like shelter, water, and trail town access, and I'm sue other things as well. It seems like a standard for thru hikers.

I very much like maps over text. Is there a good and light weight map set that includes the needed info of a text guide such as the AWOL one?

I don't want to have to carry both maps and text. So where does this leave me?

Also any smartphone apps guides/maps that you can recommend or comment on? I don't plan to use them as my primary method, it may fill the gaps if I was only bringing the text only AWOL guide, or to get a text guide if I bring maps.

Thanks

Spokes
09-10-2012, 07:48
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Lots of opinions here. Here's mine- maps aren't needed but a guidebook is.

Still want to carry maps? Get a set for New Hampshire and Maine only...... It's more "rugged" in these sections so having maps for plotting bail out points come in handy.

yellowsirocco
09-10-2012, 08:07
Maps are not a necessity, but they sure are nice. I always carry maps and some of one of the guidebooks. One of the big reasons is if you or someone you know gets hurt the map will lead you off the mountain a lot quicker than the guidebook. Maps aren't really that heavy, ship 4 to yourself and mail them home as you finish each one. You can even break up the guidebook and put those sections in the envelope with the maps for each bit.

Also you can take awesome blue blazes with maps since you will know where they actually end up. There are some good blue blazes out there (not nessicarily blue blazed but alternative routes) that the AT skips simply because you might end up seeing civilization or have to walk a few steps on a road. The faux wilderness experience and land management issues determine a lot of the trail, not awesomeness.

moldy
09-11-2012, 09:53
What you seek does not exist. The AT paper map situation is a big expensive mess. It is in this state because of money. Numerious private and public orginizations make money by producing maps over some portion of the trail. The trail clubs, National Park Service, U.S. and state Forest Services, State Parks, and various other groups have evolved the seres of maps that cost well over a hundred dollars and weigh about 10 pounds. Some get updated every 2 years, most get updated every 5 or 6 years. They all use different scales, formats, colors and features. Some are designed for more that just hiking with everything from horse trails to cars. One map will cover 150 miles and another will cover 17 miles. All of the maps have error problems. Not one single orginization is willing to give up it's cash cow and fix the problem. The ATC is far too weak to be of any assistance. Some day some person who wants to make some money will make a single map or set of maps that is designed for hikers that is available in both paper or cyber.

tdoczi
09-11-2012, 10:20
What you seek does not exist. The AT paper map situation is a big expensive mess. It is in this state because of money. Numerious private and public orginizations make money by producing maps over some portion of the trail. The trail clubs, National Park Service, U.S. and state Forest Services, State Parks, and various other groups have evolved the seres of maps that cost well over a hundred dollars and weigh about 10 pounds. Some get updated every 2 years, most get updated every 5 or 6 years. They all use different scales, formats, colors and features. Some are designed for more that just hiking with everything from horse trails to cars. One map will cover 150 miles and another will cover 17 miles. All of the maps have error problems. Not one single orginization is willing to give up it's cash cow and fix the problem. The ATC is far too weak to be of any assistance. Some day some person who wants to make some money will make a single map or set of maps that is designed for hikers that is available in both paper or cyber.

so in your estimation, what would be a fair price and appropriate weight for a map that covers over 2100 miles of trail? should it fold up into one neat small sheet that fits in your pocket and cost $10? I have all the maps from waynesboro to grafton notch and while the variations from club to club can be annoying i wouldnt call any of them bad or overpriced. I also see the NYNJTC is going pdf, so digital versions will get ehre eventually.

Rasty
09-11-2012, 10:22
I you have lot's of time (Approx 25 hours) you could make your own. I just did for a 160 mile section that I'm going on this month. I used Microsoft Publisher (You could use Word but I have Publisher) then copied an pasted maps from this website http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/topo-maps.php , added any notes and fixed a few areas that the maps are not current for the trail from the ATC interactive map. After I was done I converted to a PDF document and loaded onto my phone (Suggest breaking the whole trail into about 20 documents so you don't have to scroll down 200 pages). I attached the PDF.

Odd Man Out
09-11-2012, 11:00
Just last night I was looking at Halfmile's PCT map/guide. It seems to be exactly what you describe, but of course for the PCT, not the AT.

http://www.pctmap.net/

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 13:47
Bro the AT Companion is all you need, you don't need the maps their just dead weight.

forrest!
09-11-2012, 13:50
postholer.com has new maps for the AT - divided into three books. I have not tried them, although I plan to soon - just because I love maps...

http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3

rhjanes
09-11-2012, 14:05
postholer.com has new maps for the AT - divided into three books. I have not tried them, although I plan to soon - just because I love maps...

http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3look like nice maps. But I didn't see the Guide/Companion/AWOL type town-resupply information on towns.

postholer.com
09-11-2012, 14:59
I very much like maps over text. Is there a good and light weight map set that includes the needed info of a text guide such as the AWOL one?

I don't want to have to carry both maps and text. So where does this leave me?

If you want maps and info from a text guide, you'll carry both regardless of how they are bundled.

AWOL has done tremendous work and recreating his work seems a bit redundant, if not down right impossible. If you're looking for a complete, uniform, printed map set for the AT the the Postholer AT Pocket Maps (http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3) are your best bet. These are not the old scanned topo maps. They are created from the ground up from recent digital satellite data from a variety of US sources. The maps have accumulated mileages, shelters, parking, resupply departure points and detailed elevation profiles.

Further, if you were to create an antiquated map set using something like NatGeo Topo it would cost you more to print them at home than the price of this map set.

At about $85 for the complete 349 maps, compared to the old quads at over $200, these maps are a compelling alternative.

-postholer

http://postholer.com/mapbooks/images/preview/3/18.png

yellowsirocco
09-11-2012, 15:35
Those postholer maps look awesome. My ATC set has gotten a bit long in the tooth and I am ready for a new set.

perrymk
09-12-2012, 08:09
I have my heart set on these:

http://www.pocketprofilemaps.com/appalachian-trail.html

"Weighing in at just 4 grams, this information filled strip-map features an Appalachian Trail map on one side and elevation profile with altitudes and trail data and information on the other. Trail data information includes trail mileage, shelter locations, camp sites, water sources, resupply points, lodging, outfitters, and post offices."

Starchild
09-12-2012, 10:52
Some good suggestions on map sets, though it does still look like the info in text guide books are more complete. The pocket profile maps seem light and good for a general concept of direction and overview of location, while the postholer set give excellent detail but at comparatively quite a bit more weight.

Any input of a digital version that can be stored on the device? Since I am planning to bring my smartphone, if I go with the physical guide book, having maps or picts of the maps can be useful and may add no weight unless I run into battery capacity trouble with this plan. One thing I am considering is taking the postholer maps and photographing them.

Drybones
09-12-2012, 10:59
Bro the AT Companion is all you need, you don't need the maps their just dead weight.

+1...I also had the guide book loaded on my phone but that was a waste of time...go with a hard copy.

yellowsirocco
09-12-2012, 17:49
Any input of a digital version that can be stored on the device? Since I am planning to bring my smartphone, if I go with the physical guide book, having maps or picts of the maps can be useful and may add no weight unless I run into battery capacity trouble with this plan. One thing I am considering is taking the postholer maps and photographing them.

It is not the battery capacity issue, it is forgetting to set it to airplane mode. Or maybe you use an app that is power hungry and sits in the background eating all your power. in my book it is not a good idea to rely on your smartphone. too many loose canons.

Starchild
09-12-2012, 19:26
It is not the battery capacity issue, it is forgetting to set it to airplane mode. Or maybe you use an app that is power hungry and sits in the background eating all your power. in my book it is not a good idea to rely on your smartphone. too many loose canons.
You make a very good point that I don't intend to do. I want to use my smartphone as a enhancement when it is available, I don't intend to rely on it. So perhaps it will go dark for a bit till the next trailtown recharge, no biggie.

To my above statement, I really would like some sort of map so I have a concept of where I am. I don't see that awareness using the guidebook.

I am a visual person and just knowing I am at mile 831 does not mean as much as seeing where I am. Perhaps it's just me, or maybe I will learn otherwise.

Starchild
09-14-2012, 20:14
I am strongly leaning towards a text guide book for the reason as that seems to be the most complete but using the smartphone as the map that I so desire. As such I am intending to get a extended battery to allow more use of my smartphone for maps and for other uses that seem to fit in. I am hoping that the battery I got can extend the smartphone life by 4x and weight about 5 oz, but will see when it arrives. I figure that the extended battery may be more valuable and versatile in terms of weight carries then map sets, yet still not essential to the journey.

I am also trying out a app for the AT tomorrow that lists some of the info in the guid book and can also pinpoint my location, will report on how it works after day hike tomorrow.

bamboo bob
09-14-2012, 20:47
The data book is all you need. Cheap too. Maps are just not useful on the AT. AWOL is very good but a bit bigger with more info. Data book is plenty.

Starchild
09-15-2012, 18:24
OK just got back from a section hike using the iPhone app 'ATtrails'. I have to say I'm impressed. While not perfect it has a lot going for it and I feel it will satisfy my need for a map. Its strong points is a clear easy to use topo map, profile map and basic points of interest (shelters, water roads) clearly and intelligently displayed on a single screen as well as the ability to get your exact location on those 3 things if you desire to do so. And it sips battery, does not seem to deplete it when the phone is off and only used location (gps) when you tell it to and does not track it continuously.

The down side is there is not nearly the info that the text guide gives. It also costs $1.99 per section and it looks like there are 20 sections. But if it doesn't work out I don't have to buy the next one.

Sly
09-15-2012, 19:18

You could try the Companion in PDF. Free with a membership in ALDHA ($10) or $8 for non-members.

http://www.laughingdog.com/2012/02/companion-on-droid.html#more

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Grinder
09-17-2012, 08:59
I tried a pdf trail guide a few years ago on an ebook.
I had a terrible time using it due to the ebook's inability to search and find. My ebook didn't have "last page" capability, at least with this pdf file.
In summary, slow as the second coming and that used up the battery fast.