PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Shot- GSMNP

Spokes
09-10-2012, 10:54
http://seviercountynews.com/mike-williams/hiker-shot-great-smoky-mountain-national-park/30852

Lone Wolf
09-10-2012, 10:55
most likely wandered into a pot patch

Spokes
09-10-2012, 10:57
Good point

moytoy
09-10-2012, 11:13
most likely wandered into a pot patch

Either that or a poacher. Two hits in the leg would indicate that the shooter did it on purpose not to kill but to get away.

6engine12truck
09-10-2012, 22:01
That area is well off the AT and I believe well off any other trails. Any idea if there has been any trouble along the AT in the park this year? I'm planning a trip for this fall.

Wise Old Owl
09-10-2012, 23:00
It sounds like he hit one of those trip wires I was posting about (shot in the leg) a few months back.....here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86211-Leaving-the-trail-not-so-new-horrific-danger-Traps-Members-ONLY&highlight=trip+wire+shotgun)

WingedMonkey
09-10-2012, 23:10
Before some of you start blaming it on "Papa Smurf"

Officials said Sandford Lethco, 29, of Sevier County, admitted he was lying and confessed to park investigators that he was actually shot outside park boundaries at a private residence in Sevier County on Friday, September 7. Lethco originally reported he was shot while hiking in the Cosby area.

According to Sevier County Sheriff Ron Seals, investigators interviewed a man on Saturday who admitted to shooting into a vehicle as it was leaving his residence after he caught its driver stealing items from outside his Boyd's Creek home on Friday.
http://www.wbir.com/news/article/233632/2/-Officials-Man-lied-about-being-shot-while-hiking-in-Smokies

Rain Man
09-11-2012, 08:26
It sounds like he hit one of those trip wires I was posting about (shot in the leg) a few months back....

Once again, baseless fear-mongering.

Not to mention, once again, nothing to do with the AT at all.

Rain Man

Spokes
09-11-2012, 08:42
Once again, baseless fear-mongering.

Not to mention, once again, nothing to do with the AT at all.

Rain Man

Once again, no one was wearing a bikini.......

rhjanes
09-11-2012, 09:08
Spokes, idea for you. Thru-hike again, in a bikini. Post on TJ again so we can follow along. Pictures or it didn't happen.....

Rasty
09-11-2012, 09:14
Spokes, idea for you. Thru-hike again, in a bikini. Post on TJ again so we can follow along. Pictures or it didn't happen.....

Spokes - Please don't hike in a bikini, I'm not sure my retinas can take that kind of pain.:)

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 14:08
I read in Ashville Citizens times newpaper this morning that the guy lied about being shot in the GSNP and admitted that he was shot else where in Seveir county Tennesse

atmilkman
09-11-2012, 14:35
Before some of you start blaming it on "Papa Smurf"

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/233632/2/-Officials-Man-lied-about-being-shot-while-hiking-in-Smokies
This was posted yesterday.

Son of Easy One
09-11-2012, 14:42
Sevier county, TN...home of Dolly Parton.

Spokes
09-11-2012, 14:43

Okay, but only if Rain Man is my sherpa. :D

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2012, 12:04
Once again lying to the POLICE!

The Sevier County Sheriff Department announced it is now investigating the shooting incident involving a man who originally claimed he was shot while hiking in the the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Officials said Sandford Lethco, 29, of Sevier County, admitted he was lying and confessed to park investigators that he was actually shot outside park boundaries at a private residence in Sevier County on Friday, September 7. Lethco originally reported he was shot while hiking in the Cosby area.

According to Sevier County Sheriff Ron Seals, investigators interviewed a man on Saturday who admitted to shooting into a vehicle as it was leaving his residence after he caught its driver stealing items from outside his Boyd's Creek home on Friday.

Investigators said they are still looking for another person of interest and witnesses to interview for this case.

He was flown to the University of Tennessee Medical Center where he was treated for two gunshot wounds to the lower leg on Friday, and later released, for his injuries.

The Sevier County Sheriff Department said the investigation and charges are still pending and is not releasing any more information at this time.

T-Rx
09-29-2012, 14:44
Spokes - Please don't hike in a bikini, I'm not sure my retinas can take that kind of pain.:)

I completely agree with Rasty on this and I certainly don't want to see any pictures! The mental image created by just the mentioning of this is damaging enough. LOL!

coach lou
09-29-2012, 14:59
I do like when he dyes his hair red.:D

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2012, 17:01
Wow once again walking stick to the subject.....