PDA

View Full Version : Feet

Virginia Archer
09-10-2012, 23:28
I just recently Got most of my Gear together and started Hiking around my House. 3/5 miles my feet feel fine but done a few 7/8 milers recently and My feet are killing me! Just got some new insoles for my boots hopefully that will work.

but the Question is the more and more I go out will the soreness start wearing off? Not sore anywhere else, just on the tops of my feet.

Planning on doing some 3,4,7 day hikes next Spring and figured it would be best to start getting in better shape now.

jakedatc
09-10-2012, 23:35
are you on trails or on pavement? pavement will kill your feet, especially in boots.

Virginia Archer
09-10-2012, 23:45
Mostly pavement......haven't done a Decent one on the trail yet.

wornoutboots
09-10-2012, 23:55
Agreed, pavement/flat hard surfaces will kill your feet, as much as people talk bad about roots & rocks, and such, they allow you to use all the parts of your feet, saving them from the constant pounding

jakedatc
09-11-2012, 00:05
There you go.. I've done 15-20mi days that hurt less than a few miles on pavement. especially with boots and not trail shoes.. foot killer.

if you need boots for whatever reason and they are broken in, i'd do any pavement walking in running shoes to help as much as possible. and if you do need to break the boots in then save that for when you can touch dirt.

Creek Dancer
09-11-2012, 10:02
Walking on pavement in boots is really hard on the feet, but it's usually the bottoms of your feet that take the beating. If the tops of your feet are bothering you as you indicated, I would do something to give your feet more room in the boot. Maybe loosen the laces a bit or change the way you lace the boot. Someone posted a good video recently on different lacing methods. I can't seem to find it again, but maybe someone else will chime in. The insoles might help with overall comfort, but some insoles take up more room in the boot than the original insoles and cause your feet to be too crowded.

Finding the right boot/hiking shoe/trail runner/lacing/sock/insole combination can take some time. Just keep trying different things until you are comfortable. You are smart to test out your gear before hitting the trail.

I see you are in Powhatan. If you haven't done so already, check out the Powhatan Wildlife Mangaement area for some good non-pavement trails.

Virginia Archer
09-11-2012, 17:37
Walking on pavement in boots is really hard on the feet, but it's usually the bottoms of your feet that take the beating. If the tops of your feet are bothering you as you indicated, I would do something to give your feet more room in the boot. Maybe loosen the laces a bit or change the way you lace the boot. Someone posted a good video recently on different lacing methods. I can't seem to find it again, but maybe someone else will chime in. The insoles might help with overall comfort, but some insoles take up more room in the boot than the original insoles and cause your feet to be too crowded.

Finding the right boot/hiking shoe/trail runner/lacing/sock/insole combination can take some time. Just keep trying different things until you are comfortable. You are smart to test out your gear before hitting the trail.

I see you are in Powhatan. If you haven't done so already, check out the Powhatan Wildlife Mangaement area for some good non-pavement trails.

Yeah I have been there once so far with my daughter and we did 3 miles (because she was tired) but haven't been back yet to explore all the Trails. Definitely want to make sure everything right before trying longer route with more elevation. All of my little hikes are with a 35+/- pound Pack also so I can get use to the feel and weight!

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 17:43
Pavement will kill your feet and also are you allowing a half a size bigger for stretching ? that helps alot.

leaftye
09-11-2012, 20:22
As others said, you probably need more room in your boots. While they might feel loose at home or in the store, your feet will swell and fill them up. New insoles might actually make it worse since a lot of insoles are thicker, and reduce the amount of space available in your boots. I don't understand how insoles could help with soreness on the top of your feet unless the insoles are thinner. Mind you, I'm not saying they can't. Thinner socks can help get back some of the space in your boots. Some people, myself included, prefer hiking in 2-3 pairs of thin socks, like liner or dress shoe socks. Another advantage of multiple thin socks is that if you take them off during breaks, even 5 minute breaks, they'll dry out very quickly.

nu2hike
09-15-2012, 11:24
I think Backpacker magazine has an article by Andrew Skurka regarding different ways to lace your shoes! Check it out! Sorry I don't have the link!

Montana AT05
09-15-2012, 12:53
An incomplete list of "things that will hurt feet"

1. Pavement
2. Heavy backpack (that weigfhts goes straight down to your dogs)
3. The wrong shoes
4. Lack of use for years prior to use (gotta harden em up)

Like the rest of your body, your feet to be in shape. There's muscles down there, and tendons.

Carry less weight for one thing, don't assume you need a giant pair of nuclear proof leather boots for another.

Try to wear the shoes you'll hike in all the time. I hike in sandals and I wear nothing but sandals--I know that isn't always possible, but think about it...why do we never wear our "hiking" shoes except when hiking. They're shoes for cripes sake.

Foot pain and blisters used to be my big limiters, not so much anymore. And by pain, I mean, deep-throbbing-omg-I'm-on-Uday-Hussein's-soccer-team, pain. Biggest factor I've found to eliminate that is less weight on your back.

Hairbear
09-15-2012, 13:30
An incomplete list of "things that will hurt feet"

1. Pavement
2. Heavy backpack (that weigfhts goes straight down to your dogs)
3. The wrong shoes
4. Lack of use for years prior to use (gotta harden em up)

Like the rest of your body, your feet to be in shape. There's muscles down there, and tendons.

Carry less weight for one thing, don't assume you need a giant pair of nuclear proof leather boots for another.

Try to wear the shoes you'll hike in all the time. I hike in sandals and I wear nothing but sandals--I know that isn't always possible, but think about it...why do we never wear our "hiking" shoes except when hiking. They're shoes for cripes sake.

Foot pain and blisters used to be my big limiters, not so much anymore. And by pain, I mean, deep-throbbing-omg-I'm-on-Uday-Hussein's-soccer-team, pain. Biggest factor I've found to eliminate that is less weight on your back.if you dont care to share ..what sandals do you use..thanks

yaduck9
09-15-2012, 16:28
http://www.backpacker.com/skills-how-to-lace-boots-prevent-blisters/slideshows/143

http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Premium-Maximum-Support-Green/dp/B0033BPBD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347740948&sr=8-1&keywords=superfeet

http://www.amazon.com/Assured-Medicated-Powder-Triple-Formula/dp/B005RFBY5S/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1347741009&sr=8-14&keywords=medicated+powder

I use to have blisters and sore feet al the time until I started doing/useing these three things; Good Luck