PDA

View Full Version : 30 degree bag a gamble for next week?

David S.
05-05-2005, 15:57
I have a solid 30 degree bag that I have stayed toasty in on several 32+ degree nights. I will be hiking from Partnership to Damascus over the course of next week. With the current cold front seeming to linger around, will it be safe for me to take this bag or should I bring the 10 degree bag? Just curious what your opinions are. Thanks. David

Footslogger
05-05-2005, 16:09
I'm carrying a 20 degree bag from Kincora to Damascus next week. Have been fooled too many times before. I gave up my 20 degree bag in Pearisburg on my thru in 2003 and wished I had kept it longer.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hustler
05-05-2005, 16:23
I started April 18th off Springer on my way to Damascus for trail days. I'm carrying a 40 degree with a silk liner. It has been a real adventure a few nights but I have survived.

The Solemates
05-05-2005, 16:49
I have a solid 30 degree bag that I have stayed toasty in on several 32+ degree nights. I will be hiking from Partnership to Damascus over the course of next week. With the current cold front seeming to linger around, will it be safe for me to take this bag or should I bring the 10 degree bag? Just curious what your opinions are. Thanks. David

Im carrying a 30 degree bag on my hike into Trail Days. Wear a hat and your jacket. you'll be fine.

Ridge
05-06-2005, 02:20
From experience my husband says take a warmer bag if you are staying in shelters or tarps. If in a tent you can carry a bag with a rating of at least 5 degrees less. BTW a candle lantern and your body heat in a small tent will heat the area a lot more than you think. He always carrys a 15deg bag, you can unzip to cool off, but its tougher to warm up in a 30deg bag with 10deg temps. He also, when warmer, sleeps directly on his pad and covers with the bag. He has a zero deg bag used only for winter hikes. hikerwife