PDA

View Full Version : Light Hammocks

moocow
09-11-2012, 13:02
I've been looking at the hammock pros and cons, and it's very possible I will be making the switch. There's one thing that still concerns me.

I carry a 2lb 11oz tent with me, that includes rainfly, guylines, stakes, poles, sacks, everything.

I have found some hammocks lighter, but what happens when I add the tarp plus everything else like guylines for the tarp, or whoopie slings for the hammock. it seem like I would be at 3+ pounds again.

If i can accept being comfortable in a small space with no place for my stuff inside, then why would I not go with something like a TT Contrail at 25oz.?

Please sell me on a hammock. They do look fun and helpful in other ways.

Pumba
09-11-2012, 13:07
I've wondered the same thing and look forward to everyone's responses.

kayak karl
09-11-2012, 13:27
my DIY hammock is 18 oz. w/suspension (no bug net)
cuben tarp 8 oz. w/suspension and stakes
winter 0 degree TQ 26 oz.
winter 0 degree UQ 22 oz.

4.6 lb total

as for where to put my stuff, what stuff? food and cooking stuff is hung and my pack is under my feet. (2/3 quilt) and boots hung from hammock end.

SouthMark
09-11-2012, 13:51
My hammock is 5.9 oz with whoopie slings
Tree straps 2.3 oz
My bug net (when needed) 3.6 oz
Cuben tarp with guy lines 7.0 oz
Stakes 0.8 oz

1.25 lb total bug season
1 lb total non bug season

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 14:11
What is the big deal about hammocks ? i tried one and it was the utmost uncomfortable thing i have ever slept in.

kayak karl
09-11-2012, 14:22
at least you tried it, good for you. some people won't even try new things.

Nutbrown
09-11-2012, 14:55
It works for me. My back and shoulders hurt a lot when I tent, and the hammock relieves that.

Old Hiker
09-11-2012, 14:59
It works for me. My back and shoulders hurt a lot when I tent, and the hammock relieves that.

Plus the options open up a LOT on where to camp. I still had to go back to a tent. I couldn't take trying to get up and packed in the cold, rainy, windy mornings. Otherwise, it's great.

Half Note
09-11-2012, 15:13
SouthMark - what type of hammock do you have?

moocow
09-11-2012, 15:50
KK, do you have instructions or a material list for your hammock? That sounds awesome. I had been looking at mass produced stuff like eno and hennessy.

bannerstone
09-11-2012, 16:13
You'll have plenty of room if not more to move around and places to stash your stuff. You can cook under a hammock tarp in porch mode in the rain. You won't likely get much lighter on pack weight with a hammock setup unless you make some sacrifices. My biggest praise for the hammock is never waking up laying on the floor of a flooded tent.

Especially nice for setting up in the rain is that the tarp goes up first and comes down last when you're packing up so your gear is protected. Most hammockers stash their wet tarp on the outside of their pack.

Together my bugnet hammock and big winter cuben tarp with all the do dads is just under your 2lb 11oz tent. I could shave another ounce or two but I'm already at a 10lb summer base weight so I'm not fussing about it.

David

kayak karl
09-11-2012, 16:18
these are the instructions i followed. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15205
at a hammock hang i got 12'-60" 1.9 coated nylon and hand sewed the hammock. it is 11' 10" long and can hold 300 lb. plus. (my 80 lb. lab likes to sleep in it with me. there are many cottage industries on hammockfourms.net (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php) that make simple hammocks that will meet your needs. for materials you could start here (http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php).

kk

russb
09-11-2012, 16:32
For many it comes down to comfort and ability to set up camp almost anywhere there are trees. In many areas, tent site selection is difficult or limited. With a hammock, one needs not worry about the ground. As far as weight, one must also consider all the rest of the gear associated with the system. On the ground, many will require significant pads to provide even a modicum of comfort from the ground. These can add significant weight to ones entire system where a hammocker may be able to get by with much less due to only having to deal with insulating from the air convection and not mitigating the roots and rocks. On the ground, many add a ground cloth of some sort under their tent (or tarptent) this is an additional weight not borne by a hammocker who does not to protection from the ground. In the end, there is a reason why some tent, some tarp, some tarptent, some hammock... it is all personal preference and there isn't one right way for all. Some even use all sleeping/shelter possibilities depending on the trip.

Drybones
09-11-2012, 16:35

+1...............

1azarus
09-11-2012, 16:47
go cottage industry, for sure. i suggest you look at www.buttinasling.com. I think they get the whole weight and comfort thing. Just contact them and get their advice on the lightest way to go. I would suggest you not get a Hennessey... By the way, I've hammocked almost the whole AT -- did just a little tenting at the beginning. I also suggest you keep the bug net as a separate item -- you won't always want one.

Suckerfish
09-11-2012, 18:08
Im very new at it but I have been a tenter for several years. Also I am not a gram weenie either. All I know is my hammock set up is lighter than my tent set up, more comfortable, and dryer in heavy rains when ground water is an issue.

I use a grand trunk Ultra light hammock, not sure the weight but it isnt much. My rainfly is the Uno pro rain fly and it weighs about twice as much as the hammock. I have 4 aluminum steaks and the strings don't weigh much either.

I know this sounds like a dumb post, it is really, im very tired after a long day in my office with the white egg shell walls and florecent lights with my view of the parking lot below.

I felt reborn after my first time in my hammock. For bug netting I just bought a piece to go over my head, I use a sleeping bag (40 degree syn) with an insulated pad.

My sleeping bag and pad I don't count with weight because I packed those anyway with my tent. Also my hammock is used as a chair when I eat and my tarp has several uses, not sure yet what they are but I know I can use it for several other things, like a tent if I choose to sleep in the ground or if it is raining and I am a good distance from a shelter, I can just set up the tarp and chill in my hammock waiting for the rain to die down.

When I do my thru hike in 2014 im going to hang all the way to maine from my homestate.

Again I did it one night last weekend and not only survived, but slept in luxuary, I didnt get out of bed until 930 or so, i rarely sleep that well on the ground.

Franco
09-11-2012, 19:07
Weight can be fudged one way or another, essentially folk will make what they like work for them.
The important part is : do you prefer to sleep in a hammock or on the ground ?
By that for a start I mean have you tried spending a few nights sleeping in a hammock as opposed to an afternoon nap in one ?

As for ground conditions it can be also argued both ways.
If you hike were trees are abundant (and it is legal to use a hammock...) then it can be an easy solution , however over the tree line you end up with a largish bivvy that is not going to work well in high winds or snow.
This ,again. will be totally irrelevant to many but is it for you ?
I don't use one because I toss and turn so unlike many for me it is much more comfortable to sleep on the ground than up in the air.
Franco

SouthMark
09-11-2012, 21:27
The 5.9 oz hammock is a Grand Trunk Nano-7. I also have a Warbonnet Traveler at only 7.7 oz with whoopies. I have an HH Adventure Racer (no longer made) with side entry bug net at only 11.9 oz.

thebrewguy
09-12-2012, 14:51
Equinox Globe Skimmer 8x10 with guy lines and stuff sack: 21.2oz
Grand Trunk Nano Hammock with carabiners: 7.4oz
Tree straps, toggles, whoopies (aka suspension) 6.9oz
Sea to summit pyramid single bug net: 7.5oz
GoLite Ultralight stakes x6: 2.5oz

Total shelter weight: 45.5oz or 2.84lbs.

This keeps me pretty comfortable but you could get a slightly larger hammock for more room and still come in under 3lbs

Deadeye
09-12-2012, 21:29
I have a Warbonnet blackbird hammock and a Speer winter tarp. 50 ounces total (3 1/8 pounds) with skins, biners, and stakes. Can certainly go lighter, my Hennessy was 2 pounds total, but the setup works fantastic for me. Just going with a smaller tarp would shave 10 ounces or so, making it an even 2 1/2 pounds, and I may get one for shorter, summer trips, but I like the big space. I have a gazillion places to set up camp, there are far more places with a couple trees 15-20 feet apart than there are flat, dry places to pitch a tent. My tarp covers an area nearly 10 feet square, I can cook under it, stand up in a rain, walk around under it, etc. and I don't have to crawl on the ground to get inside. Plus, I just plain sleep like a contented baby in my hammock. I'm not going back to a tent.

gunner76
09-16-2012, 18:23
I toss and turn in a hammock but find it much more comfortable than a tent. My hammock, tarp, TQ, UQ, stakes, tie out lines and compression bag weight 7 lbs. I could get a lighter weight hammock and save a pound but I am a big guy and find the hammock I am using to be very comfortable so I am willing to carry a little extra weight for a good nights sleep.

If you have tried sleeping in a hammock and have not found it comfortable then it could be the wrong hammock for you and or the way you are trying to sleep in it. Most hammocks you sleep with your feet on one side and the head on the other side and hang the foot end a few inches higher than the head end.

Attend a group hammock hang in your area (tenters are always welcome) and you will be able to check out many different setups and find out the proper way to hang. I was at a group hang in SC 2 weekends ago and we had several first time hangers and I had extra gear that I brought so the new hangers could try some gear they have not had a chance to see or play with

Drybones
09-17-2012, 08:55
I've looked into hammocks several times and believe I'd like them if I had the right one but I keep coming up with a sizeable weight increase when I add everything up. I have a 28 oz Notch tent and a 19 oz sleeping pad which I assume I would not need with the hammock...total weight = 2.94 lbs. When I add hammock, tarp, bug netting, under cover I'm at a greater weight than with the tent. The problem with tents is finding a flat spot to pitch it. The jury's still out on this one for me.

Tom Murphy
09-17-2012, 10:24
I've looked into hammocks several times and believe I'd like them if I had the right one but I keep coming up with a sizeable weight increase when I add everything up. I have a 28 oz Notch tent and a 19 oz sleeping pad which I assume I would not need with the hammock...total weight = 2.94 lbs. When I add hammock, tarp, bug netting, under cover I'm at a greater weight than with the tent. The problem with tents is finding a flat spot to pitch it. The jury's still out on this one for me.

If weight is your primary criteria, then I expect you will stay with a tent.

I hike primarily in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and my hammock makes site selection much easier. So, for me, the additional weight is offset by the additional flexibility I gain in terms of where I stop for the night.

I find both hanging and going to ground comfortable so that isn't a factor for me.

Nutbrown
09-17-2012, 10:53
I've been looking at the hammock pros and cons, and it's very possible I will be making the switch. There's one thing that still concerns me.

I carry a 2lb 11oz tent with me, that includes rainfly, guylines, stakes, poles, sacks, everything.

I have found some hammocks lighter, but what happens when I add the tarp plus everything else like guylines for the tarp, or whoopie slings for the hammock. it seem like I would be at 3+ pounds again.

If i can accept being comfortable in a small space with no place for my stuff inside, then why would I not go with something like a TT Contrail at 25oz.?

On my section hike this summer, one of my friends started having IT Band pain. It started to become hard for her to walk even on flat terrain, and going downhill was very painful. It was towards the end of the day, and there was no way we would be able to get to the place we were going to camp, so we started looking for the best place to pitch a tent. We had to hike much farther that she should have because there was not a suitable place along the trail. 2 of us had hammocks, 2 had tents. The 2 with tents had to share one tent because we had such a hard time finding a spot. Hammocks would have avoided that situation, and even saved the underbrush that they had to tent on top of.

SouthMark
09-17-2012, 11:15

I certainly understand your reasoning but my hammock setup is lighter than your listed tent setup. Of course I also have hammock setups that are heavier also but hammock camping is not for everyone. I do not think that it is fair to dismiss it based on weight alone until it has been given a fair test. There is a much steeper learning curve for hammock camping than tent camping.

Tree straps 2.3 oz
Stakes 0.8 oz
Summer Under Quilt 9.0 oz
Winter Under Quilt 17 oz

2.0 lb total summer/bug season
2.5 lbs total winter/non bug season

Buffalo Skipper
09-17-2012, 15:26
My winter hammock is a Warbonnet Traveler which I couple with a Hammock Gear 4-Season cuben tarp (with doors). Weights are 15.7 and 10.0 oz (including suspension). That is well under 2 lbs. Add to that appropriate top and bottom quilts, but 25.7 oz is not too bad for the best sleep I have had while out backpacking. I am nowhere near Southmark's UL setup. But the worst night I ever had in a hammock was about the same as the best night I ever slept in a tent.

UL is not my goal. Lighter than I was in my old tent setup is what I have been able to achieve from the moment I moved above the ground.

1azarus
09-17-2012, 15:43
sweet, as our younger hammock buddies might say. please share manufacturer info if you don't mind. is that bug net tulle?

I certainly understand your reasoning but my hammock setup is lighter than your listed tent setup. Of course I also have hammock setups that are heavier also but hammock camping is not for everyone. I do not think that it is fair to dismiss it based on weight alone until it has been given a fair test. There is a much steeper learning curve for hammock camping than tent camping.

Tree straps 2.3 oz
Stakes 0.8 oz
Winter Under Quilt 17 oz

J5man
09-17-2012, 15:50

I primarily use a hammock but will never completely give up my tent. Both are light. One advantage of a hammock is that you can pitch it almost anywhere and dont spend as much time looking for the perfect tent spot. Some think they are more comfortable. There is no consenus on that, just personal preference. Good thing is, you don't have to completely commit to one or the other, use both. I love mixing up gear on different trips. It's like having toys. Enjoy both. It's all good!

Drybones
09-17-2012, 16:24

Tree straps 2.3 oz
Stakes 0.8 oz
Winter Under Quilt 17 oz

SM...a storie before my question. I was getting into mt biking and was looking for info, I knew one of the guys at work was big into biking so in the course of gathering info I asked what his bike cost. He started by telling me he didn't drink, smoke, etc, etc, etc...had no vices to waste money on blah, blah, blah. I finally got a cost from him but he was ashamed to tell he paid that much for a bike. Considering how much he used it, it was a good investment, now, what does a set up like your's cost a fellow...and I wont tell your wife.

Kibble n Bit
09-17-2012, 17:52
My wife and I just bought a couple of Hennessy Hammocks because of everything we read on here and other places.. We set them up in the yard and loved them. I think after a long day of hiking they are gonna be great, But don't no yet. At 2 lb 10 oz. with rainfly. We had the same problem finding a place to set up a tent. This will hopefully make it more relaxing.... We will see lol.

SouthMark
09-17-2012, 20:22
sweet, as our younger hammock buddies might say. please share manufacturer info if you don't mind. is that bug net tulle?
The bug net is a DIY HUG from poly tulle, not nylon. A good friend and fellow hammock hanger made it for me. The hammock is a Grand Trunk Nano-7. Tree straps are hold down straps from Wal-Mart. ZPacks cuben tarp, summer UQ LeighLo's, winter UQ Warbonnet winter Yeti and the stakes are Terra Nova carbon fiber. If I take my larger Warbonnet Traveler hammock I only add 1.8 oz.

SouthMark
09-17-2012, 20:39
SM...a storie before my question. I was getting into mt biking and was looking for info, I knew one of the guys at work was big into biking so in the course of gathering info I asked what his bike cost. He started by telling me he didn't drink, smoke, etc, etc, etc...had no vices to waste money on blah, blah, blah. I finally got a cost from him but he was ashamed to tell he paid that much for a bike. Considering how much he used it, it was a good investment, now, what does a set up like your's cost a fellow...and I wont tell your wife.

DB, fortunately the wife doesn't mind as she spends a lot more on her hobbies.
The hammock, Grand Trunk Nano-7, $49.00 on sale.
Tree straps, made from some old Wal-Mart tie down straps $14.00
DIY HUG bug net ? (gift from a friend)
Cuben Tarp Zpacks $255 (ouch)
Stakes $9.00
LeighLo's summer UQ $130.00
Warbonnet Winter Yeti UQ $125.00 (used)

All of this and all my other hammocks and quilts were not acquired at once of course. I now have a winter version of the cuben tarp with doors, 8.5 oz, $315.00.

Drybones
09-17-2012, 21:47
DB, fortunately the wife doesn't mind as she spends a lot more on her hobbies.
The hammock, Grand Trunk Nano-7, $49.00 on sale.
Tree straps, made from some old Wal-Mart tie down straps $14.00
DIY HUG bug net ? (gift from a friend)
Cuben Tarp Zpacks $255 (ouch)
Stakes $9.00
LeighLo's summer UQ $130.00
Warbonnet Winter Yeti UQ $125.00 (used)

All of this and all my other hammocks and quilts were not acquired at once of course. I now have a winter version of the cuben tarp with doors, 8.5 oz, $315.00.

SM...thanks. First step will be to aquire the hammock to see how it sleeps, $49 is not bad. If it sleeps good I'll procede from there. Thanks again.

kayak karl
09-17-2012, 22:08
SM...thanks. First step will be to aquire the hammock to see how it sleeps, $49 is not bad. If it sleeps good I'll procede from there. Thanks again.
the grand trunk 7 is only 4' by 9'. a very small hammock. im 6-3 and don't like a hammock under 11'- 5'. i have 2 grand trunks for the grand kids. a Warbonnet Traveler is 10' - 5', it was OK but i finally sold it. i have 3 HH and 2 DIY's. point im making is there are a lot of choices.

SouthMark
09-17-2012, 22:16

DB, the Nano-7 is small hence it's light weight. Grand Trunk also makes one called the Ultralight that you can find for around $20. It weighs a couple oz more but is a good starter hammock. For greater comfort the Warbonnet Traveler at $60 is much larger and changing out suspension can be gotten down to 7.7 oz. Good luck and don't give up after a night. There is a steep learning curve but it is worth it in the end. Check out whiteblaze's sister site hammock forums.net for everything hammock camping.

I see that you are in Gadsden. I make it up to Piedmont often for hiking the Pinhoti and kayaking Terrapin Creek. Maybe we could meet one of those times and I could demo some of the gear and you could try it out.

Drybones
09-18-2012, 08:22
I see that you are in Gadsden. I make it up to Piedmont often for hiking the Pinhoti and kayaking Terrapin Creek. Maybe we could meet one of those times and I could demo some of the gear and you could try it out.[/QUOTE]

Any time you want some company either on the Pinhoti or the Terrapin I'm available or if you just need help with a shuttle. Ruger (doberman) and I plan to go out Wed. & Thur. for a short overnighter to let him get his hiking legs limbered up...has a hip issue. I'm trying to get a small group together from the B'ham area to hike the Art Loeb Trail 10/19-21, send me a PM if you think you might be interested in going.

1azarus
09-18-2012, 10:06
...I also use the grand trunk nano, and am very happy with it -- just a word of caution, though -- if you are fairly tall the nano may be a tad short for you. at 5'-7" it works fine for me. i am curious about butt in a sling's hammock, which is both a little bigger and a little lighter than the nano. i'm pretty sure that would be my new hammock purchase if i could ever justify (another) one!

SouthMark
09-18-2012, 10:37
...I also use the grand trunk nano, and am very happy with it -- just a word of caution, though -- if you are fairly tall the nano may be a tad short for you. at 5'-7" it works fine for me. i am curious about butt in a sling's hammock, which is both a little bigger and a little lighter than the nano. i'm pretty sure that would be my new hammock purchase if i could ever justify (another) one!

I too have thought about butt in a sling's hammock but also have 4 hammocks now and just can't sleep in but one at a time. BTW I'm 5'-9" and the Nano-7 works for me also. After I fall asleep I do not know what hammock I'm in or it's size.

Drybones
09-18-2012, 11:33

I almost bought a hammock, dont recall the brand, but at 6'1" was afraid it would be too short. Any recommendations for taller people?

Buffalo Skipper
09-18-2012, 11:46
I almost bought a hammock, dont recall the brand, but at 6'1" was afraid it would be too short. Any recommendations for taller people?

Not the lightest ones out there, but for mosquito hammocks, my money would be on a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter (my go-to hammock for a year and a half and very comfortable) or for a but more money, the Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB). I am 6'1" and own both. For a non mosquito hammock (no bug net) I really like my Warbonnet Traveler (same dimensions as the WBBB). Also Grand Trunk and ENO both make large hammocks called "doubles."

Recently, there have been others popping up (cottage industry), like Dream Hammock and others, but I have been so satisified with my Warbonnet hammocks that I have not looked into these.

SouthMark
09-18-2012, 13:42

Try the Butt in a Sling hammocks. They are 11' long. I have the WB Traveler at 10' and at 5'9" it is plenty of length for me but then again so is the Nano-7 and it is only 9' long.

lvnv1212
09-18-2012, 14:04
I think a key way to save weight is to create a hammock tarp that would double as a tent; so you can have the best of both worlds - tent on ground when you are above treeline or in area with no trees, or hammock when it is convenient. Has anyone heard of something like this?

SouthMark
09-18-2012, 14:23
I think a key way to save weight is to create a hammock tarp that would double as a tent; so you can have the best of both worlds - tent on ground when you are above treeline or in area with no trees, or hammock when it is convenient. Has anyone heard of something like this?

http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/hh_as_a_tent/

IRONFISH45
09-18-2012, 14:25
It works for me. My back and shoulders hurt a lot when I tent, and the hammock relieves that.[/QUOTE] This is what I found with the hammock, I can not stand sleeping on the ground any more. My shoulders have both been repaired, I have a lot of hardware in my left shoulder, and the hammock somehow makes it so I can sleep without pain. I am selling my Hennessy Hammocks, and I have been trying out different setups, and they all work better than the ground.

SouthMark
09-18-2012, 14:34
It works for me. My back and shoulders hurt a lot when I tent, and the hammock relieves that. This is what I found with the hammock, I can not stand sleeping on the ground any more. My shoulders have both been repaired, I have a lot of hardware in my left shoulder, and the hammock somehow makes it so I can sleep without pain. I am selling my Hennessy Hammocks, and I have been trying out different setups, and they all work better than the ground.[/QUOTE]

I have not been able to sleep with a torn rotator cuff. My physical therapist suggested that I try sleeping in my hammock. I did and it works. I am finally getting some sleep. The rotator cuff is not getting any better but at least I am sleeping.

simply_light
01-09-2013, 12:31
Current Hammock set up:

Grand Trunk Nano 7 w/ 6 ft whoopie slings -6.54 ounces
Myog Asym Tarp - 7.4 ounces
4 foot Tree Huggers - 2.25 ounces
2 Aluminum Toggles - .25 ounces
4 Titanium Stakes - 1 ounce
Ridge line cord and guy out lines - 1.5 ounces

Total: 18.94 ounces = 1.18 lbs

Of course some of this depends on your comfort level with 1.1 ripstop and the smaller coverage area of an asym tarp.